Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > NONONO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

HID Retrofit Stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HID Retrofit Stuff
    Posted: 29áMará2015 at 2:13pm
So most of my small retrofits are done but OEM HID was what I really wanted.

However I just don't have the time right now to install the washers and levelling sensors. So as a temporary gap filler I'm going to install 55w 5000K HID's. I realise this isn't popular with everyone but for me it's a no brainer. The Halo lamps are crap, even with PHILIPS Xtreme Vision Plus. Especially if you do a lot of country driving.

I've done a lot of research about this and the stock projectors are fine for HID. The beam pattern and cut off are within safe margins. I've not heard of any qashqai owner with retrofit HID's getting flashed or causing glare. The manual adjustment is fine for headlamp aim really.

Lack of washers isn't a massive issue as its spring summer now and I'll just carry a cloth and give them a clean the old fashioned way every now and again.

There are loads of threads on the French qashqai forum re this and it's all positive. (They have EU rules too)

For those interested:

I also found these adapters which fit the qashqai... Means I can keep the original holder intact if I need to refit the halogens.

8 Pcs Xenon HID Kit Bulb Holders Adapters Retainers Clip by

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KHTU84C/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_6N.fvb1H1322Q

Edited by oldmanyoung - 30áMará2015 at 8:58am
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áMará2015 at 10:22pm
nice :)
Did you make Halogen/HID night vision comparison?
oldmanyoung View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áMará2015 at 8:53am
No sorry, those photos are taken from a French forum. I'm still waiting for my kit to arrive :)

Re self levelling. Can you confirm motor is same for halo and xenon clusters? I think it is. Also, is there any chance to get a picture of you sensor installed and wiring harness?

I know it's on rear right strut. But I'm not sure if I have wiring harness already there...

To clarify all that is needed is:

1. Install sensor
2. Connect to harness
3. Disconnect manual operation
4. Initialise sensor via Consult III+

Seems simple enough :) I already have sensor arm and sensor but can't find wiring harness.
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áMará2015 at 1:50pm
Headlight aligning motor is the same, you won't need to touch that part. If you could not see the harness, then you don't have it. It was very visible hanging down and just taped to chassis. My car was Tekna like just without Xenon headlights, therefore it could be that I had it already pre-installed.
The steps you wrote are correct ;)

I'm afraid I won't be able to take a photo for you, due to bloody weather and mud all around the car.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áMará2015 at 3:31pm
Thanks,

I think it might be there. Would it be visible with wheel on?

The diagram on ESM is not clear. Also I see two different part numbers:

53812 89900
50812 89900

Any ideas? Also can this be installed with jack and stands or must it be a ramp? Thanks.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áMará2015 at 4:29pm
Hmm on second thoughts I've had a look under the vehicle and can't seem to locate it. :(

Anyone got the part number for wiring harness?
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áMará2015 at 5:55pm
So I found where connector should be exactly. There are brackets on both sides. There is also some wiring there, it's in exactly the correct position but I'm not sure. What do you think...

Connectors on both sides for LH / RH drive?

Edited by oldmanyoung - 30áMará2015 at 5:57pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áMará2015 at 6:58pm
Zoome in pic. Doesn't look right to me???

But the diagram doesn't show any other wiring in that area :(

Edited by oldmanyoung - 30áMará2015 at 8:15pm
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áMará2015 at 9:14pm
I had HID on my Qashqai but they were a ú700 option on the Citroen Shocked

I don't know if you have ordered the HID kit or not, I have fitted LED's instead as they don't have the same rules. ie no self levelling or headlight washers required, well at least not yet anyway.

You can get the kits on the bay and they're no more expensive than the HID kits, I paid 45 quid.

Anyway, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

They're super bright and super white Cool
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áMará2015 at 11:00pm
I'm afraid to say that you will need to play a bit more than I did. The harness is clearly missing, I had it coming from that cable which you took the photo of. At the end, not a big deal, there is existing cabling under the door plastic sill covers, so you can easily bring it to the front of the car.

Andspenka, send a photo of the kit you bought pls. Does it warm a lot?
LEDs are not brighter than the xenon, otherwise you would need headlights washers. Xenon has 2300lm, but LED (OEM) around 2000lm only. If you have aftermarket LED kit, I would say even less.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 8:32am
Thanks duncho.

Can you confirm 100% which side of vehicle it is always on? Any idea of part number for the harness? I can't find it on parts catalogue.
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 8:48am
oldmanyoung,
to be honest I'm not 100% sure now. As far as I remember it is on right side where you tank the fuel. Interesting, because on new QQ (which I'm now owner of) it is on the other side.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 9:54am
It's on drivers side for UK. I just checked. Passenger side doesn't have the bracket.

Hmm still doesn't seen like a major problem to me. I will now search for the correct wire harness. I may even contact hella direct.
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 10:10am
Check on scrap yards, it's fastest and cheapest ;)
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 2:30pm
I've called lots of breakers and no one has it right now :(

Just to confirm how does the Self Levelizer connect to canbus? 

I see he following:

There is no direct connection to BCM? Also it seems tricky if only way is to splice into other cables...

My only other option could be...

http://www.europeanperformanceproducts.com/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p1749_Hella-Ultrasonic-Automatic-Headlight-Leveling-System--Retrofit-Kit-.html/cat/109

But I really don't want to go to this route. 

Thanks for all your help :) Hopefully I am getting somewhere.

Edited by oldmanyoung - 31áMará2015 at 2:40pm
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 3:34pm
Correct, no direct connection to BCM. I don't recall details because I didn't have to deal with cabling. But it definitelly communicates via CANBUS as I could see that it moves lights when they did initialization/ calibration.
Check the link to sensor I sent you some time ago whether they don't have harness only, or ask a seller where you bought yours.

By the way, if you don't want to go the way of OEM setup, I have module that does the thing by judging vehicle inclane via G-sensor. I wanted to use it on my car, but then I found OEM leveler on internet, so I didn't need the kit I bought. It's still unused.

Edited by duncho - 31áMará2015 at 3:37pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 4:24pm
Thanks, I think your kit is the same as I linked in my last post? I may go that route but want to try and find harness first :)
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 4:48pm
No, mine is much cheaper I bought it for ú68,- only
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by duncho duncho wrote:

Andspenka, send a photo of the kit you bought pls. Does it warm a lot?
LEDs are not brighter than the xenon, otherwise you would need headlights washers. Xenon has 2300lm, but LED (OEM) around 2000lm only. If you have aftermarket LED kit, I would say even less.

Here's the kit I bought ebay link I haven't checked them for lumens myself, but the listing states 5000lm so 2500 per bulb. I do have a light meter at work so I suppose I could check them.

This isn't the exact seller, I bought mine from the UK but I couldn't find a listing from him.

Edited by andspenka - 31áMará2015 at 5:42pm
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 6:48pm
Please measure it and take a photo of light on with lux meter showing the value if any above 2000lm. Thank you a lot
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2015 at 8:35pm
Duncho,

Do you have a link to your after market leverler? I am wondering if this is a better option for me. I have looked all through the parts catalogue and cannot see the wiring loom / harness from the OEM sensor arm. I guess maybe it does come as one with sensor. :( I cant even find part number.

Maybe I can modify something like this?

Re washers.

Ive never had a vehicle with this sort of washer - only fixed ones. Am I right in saying the jets are on some kind of manual mechanism which is drawn out and then back by the water pressure from its own pump? So there is no actual motor / electrics from pump to jets - just water hose?

Parts catalogue looks like jets are mounted direct to chassis? No bracket? This seems simple enough.

Also is hole cuts simple job? Marked on inside of bumper?

I think you are the only person in the world who has done these retrofits! 

Edited by oldmanyoung - 31áMará2015 at 10:05pm
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áAprá2015 at 5:49am
If I were you, I would put 5 wires along existing cables and thats it. You have all you need and it's a not big ssue if you have no original connector. You can still buy those single automotive metal connectors and insulate it with a special rubber tape in order avoiding water coming in.
Washers work exactly as you wrote. They are even easier to instal, because all you need is just to cut hols in front bumper, which positions are already pre-marked from the inner bumper side :)
It maybe looks scary, but don't worry as it really is easy mod :)

I'm more busy now than usual, so excuse my non instant replies ;)
Cheers

PS, I havent seen my module online any more. If you want to I can send you photo off and you can check online, or sell you mine. But better do it as it suppose to be.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áAprá2015 at 7:23pm
Yes, I got a full email reply from a NISSAN Technician. There is no cable harness as its part of main wiring loom. I will do as you say. Get connector from eBay and then run the wires myself. It should be very simple this way!

Thanks man. You are very good at this stuff!
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áAprá2015 at 10:14pm
Don't be too ambitious if you can't find that connector on internet. Those single cheap metal connectors will do the job very well too. Also, there is huge used car parts market in Poland (www.allegro.pl). Translate it with google Chrome and check there. The link to leveler I sent you before was with the connector as far as I remember.
Pls make night comparison halogen vs. xenon if you have DSLR (on manual setting, identical for both shots).
Cheers ;)

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áAprá2015 at 9:19am
Fitted my HIDs today. Very happy. Light output is great and beam pattern / cutoff seems acceptable. I don't have DSLR camera, only iphone 6+ :(

I will take a photo from inside vehicle at night to show cutoff against a wall vs halogen.

By the way, I got this connector: http://www.automotive-connectors.com/8d0973734-8-way-sealed-female-connector-2-8-mm-2-row-coding-i-non-restricted.html

Should fit the sensor perfectly.

Do you have any photos / guide of the best way to root my custom harness to engine bay? I have seen photos of wires running under door sills to front.
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áAprá2015 at 9:33am
iPhone is fine too, just before you start to take a photo for comparison (halogen vs. xenon), lock AE by tapping and holding iPhone screen while you are in the camera app. 

PS. I didn't do any photos while I did my upgrade as I didn't know that someone will ever need it :) I only have photo of my car before (2007 design) and after my upgrade (2010 facelifted design).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic