Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Horn Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiachna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn Problems
    Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 7:10pm
Hi

Its been a while since I have posted anything, My wifes qashqai is due for it's next MOT only to find that the horn doesn't work.
Have unplugged it and plugged it back in with no success, it sometimes honks once then doesn't work, fuse is ok and relay box clicks ok.
Only thing that I can think of is that the horn itself needs replacing.
Please give me your view on this
Thanks
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 9:23pm
Could be bad contact with the plug, have you got a multi-meter?  Might be worth checking continuity and also checking the relay is giving an output, its possible for them to latch but not complete a circuit properly.
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 9:38pm
On the positive side - Horns are not expensive or difficult to source.

gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

.... or change Wink
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 1:47am
Originally posted by gadget gadget wrote:

Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

.... or change Wink

Thumbs Up  Clap ahmen to that...QQ horn sux big time anyway...just change it
Clap
Proud to be back in a Qashqai
J11 blade silver tekna with some added bling
Fiachna View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiachna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:47am
Hi

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly everybody, as for changing it to another, which type would you go for?

millpb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:10am
Had this problem with mine, turned out to be a bad connection at the horn itself, dealer fixed and had no problems since.
59 plate 1.6 Acenta, Blade Silver, chrome fogs, chrome door handles, door protectors.
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:23am

how about these american ones 
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Fiachna Fiachna wrote:

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly everybody, as for changing it to another, which type would you go for?

Couple of threads on what to get and the procedure of how to do it.....

This one has good instructions - and a short video of the sound difference: http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/looking-to-replace-horn-with-these_topic8225.html

This one too: http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/horn-replacement_topic3364.html
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Fiachna View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiachna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 2:27pm
Think it might look a tad out of place with a set horns like that mate lolClap.
Fiachna View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiachna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 2:30pm
Rang nissan and they want 77 for a new horn lol, told him no thanks trev 12 off ebay lol
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:34pm
The only thing is that your ability to extract a goodwill payment may be affected if you don't use Nissan parts. Clearly if you car is 3 years old (which it must be to need an MOT!) it's also about to run out of warranty.

Personally I'd visit Halfords. Horns are cheap and easy to fit. And the Qashqai's pathetic "peep" is hardly in keeping with the butch look of the car.

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:40pm
You could try one of these;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecLxyfG632U

Although I have to admit a part of me thinks that in the UK you'd stand a reasonable chance of having the car seized off you.

The vehicle is being used to create harassment alarm and distress, so they're looking at Public Order offences as well and road traffic ones. It's all very funny until one of the kids hurts himself falling off his skateboard or one of the oldies has a coronary.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic