UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Know How..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Horn Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QashqaiKeith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn Replacement
    Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 12:42pm

Steps to remove the grill are:

1. Fully open bonnet/hood assembly.

2. Remove front grille upper fixing clips by twisting slotted centres through 90 degrees and once released pulling up the centre part with a small flat screwdiver, then remove complete clip assembly by levering upwards under outer edge of clip with small flat screwdriver.

3. Slowly pull front grille upper side, and using a flat screwdriver,depress clip barb to remove clips both (LH/RH) from front bumper assembly.

4: Slowly pull front grille upper side, place hand behind grill and release the bottom clips one at a time by pushing them upwards.

5: Grill should now release all the way along the bottom.

6 Replacement is a reversal of the above, just carefully align and push really.

All this should take no longer than 10 minutes. Essentially just take care and avoid straining anything particularly if the weather is cold as this obviously makes the plastic a bit brittle. There is plenty of room and mounting options for any horns once you remove the grill assemble.
Tarbie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 7:57pm
Hi Mick,

Been on hols, so not been able, but will do tonight (fingers crossed).

Here you go:

You'll see that the vertical bracket is the one alreaqdy on the vehicle, the other brackets come as part of the MGF assembly. You just need to invert one of the MGF brackets and bolt together. Common the wires together and hey presto!

R - Mark.

Edited by Tarbie - 16 May 2009 at 1:18am
08 to 11: Tekna - 1.6 - Intense Blue (Gone but not forgotten)
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2010 at 10:35am
Proud to be back in a Qashqai
J11 blade silver tekna with some added bling
Chainsaw View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 6:04pm
Hi,

I have just got some of these horns from ebay.
I finally got the grill off and got to the old horn.

How have you joined the wires to the existing plug?

My MGF horns came with a plug on each and wires sticking out from each plug.
The plugs though are different to the Nissan one.

I can cut the wire to the Nissan plug and fit some bullet connectors etc.. but just wondered how you didi it

Cheers,

Chainsaw

Chainsaw View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chainsaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 4:09pm

OK,
I took the plunge and cut the Nissan plug off.
I then used a connector block to join all the wires together.

Finished photo below:
The yellow arrow points to the supplied MGF brackets and the red arrow is the Nissan bracket.
I cleaned the horns with some silicon spray.

I have done 2 mp3 files.
1 of the Nissan horn and 1 of the b e a utiful sounding MGF horns.

Not sure how to attach those as you can only attach pics?

Chainsaw

Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 4:11pm
great job chainsaw glad you are happy mate
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 4:13pm
Excellent work chainsaw. Thumbs Up
GSX600FMAN View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSX600FMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 10:09am
The pair of horns I used were off a Saab (also tried Volvo very close but kept the Saab ones on) they are loud and make you jump.  Get them from a scrap yard and you can try them out if you take a suitable battery, like that off a motorbike (GSX600f in my case), and a little bit of wire. Take small screw driver, side cutters, spanners and socket set with 10, 12, 13 & 14mm A/F. When yo ufind a scrap Saab or Volvo (they do stand out in scrap yards like BMW and Mercedes do too) and remove bracket with horns still attached and cut as much cable as far back as you can extract (say ½ to 1 metre) as it may be handy to reuse. Get the pair, the high and low tone.
Ordered QQ+2 Tekna 1.5 black on 20/4/10 expected 10/7/10. Collected on 19/7/10
Spanner View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:19pm
Looks good chainsaw, i'm happy with the peugeot 306 one
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 12:16pm

Had my free 'Drive Time' check up yesterday and got the chance to mention minor stuff that I was going to leave until the first service........

I plan to replace the horn, but am loathe to start sniffing round breakers yards and rewiring in case I screw up and affect the warranty at all - I'm such a goody 2 shoes LOL.

I asked if the horn was faulty at all and heard them sounding it and comparing to others in the workshop LOL.  They have it down on the worksheet as 'distorting' but said all the others were no better.

They suggested fitting a Nissan 2-tone that was suitable for the QQ........£99.76 all in Shocked and they doubted that Nissan would contribute at all ShockedShocked.  I think I'll email NCS and see what they say.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 5:20pm
Go for it G5, nothing to lose.  Thumbs Up
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 8:39pm
Thumbs UpI,m thinking of changing the "very poor" horn, are the mgf ones good thenBig smile
Might need some info (pictures) on the wiring connections thoughErmm

Edited by mohawk - 18 Oct 2010 at 8:46pm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Mcdig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcdig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:35pm
Just got a pair of horns for 99p off a Peugeot 406 coupe. They are very loud, will put some pics up of them fitted, very easy to do and very worthwhile mod to get rid of the wet fart noddy horn that Nissan fit.
Waiting for Mineral Grey Tekna, ordered 18 April 2010, was due 29th June 2010, now due 15th Sept. Collected on 8th Sept 2010. Gone 1 Feb 2013.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:40pm
Thanks Mcdig. please show the wiring connections too if you wouldThumbs Up
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
markcain View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:42pm
Hi guys and gals,

I took delivery of our 08 Tekna QQ about 8 weeks ago, and the only thing I am disappointed with is the horn. It's just not very horny.

Saying that, I have a company Vectra on a 57 plate, due to go back next week and the horn on that is great.......... so I got to thinking........ Can I nick the horn out of the Vectra and switch them with the QQ one.

Seems pretty easy to remove the QQ horn, but does anyone know if the Vectra one is compatible? Any help would be more than awesome!

Thanks!

Edited by craigfishin - 27 Oct 2010 at 6:18pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 6:15pm
Oooh that is naughty.........LOL
Have you search for a guide for that?
Qashtom View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 8:50pm
Yes the Horn must be the worst thing about the QQ,  after 3 weeks of ownership I have had enough and have ordered some from ebay £6.59 inc delivery, will post some pictures and wire diagram once fitted.       

12v Car horn air 12 v volt loud twin tone or van horns Angry

Tekna 1.5Dci Pearl Black, Due 24 Oct 2010. Now Due 28 Sep 2010. Arrived 18 Oct 2010
jerry2604 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry2604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 10:15am
Just bought some horns off e-bay for a fiver. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330780692551. 

However had a bit of a head scratcher as they didn't work when fitted to the car as a pair but did when tested individually on a bike battery. Sound Ok BTW.

They had blown the fuse - which in itself isn't an easy find as there are three fuseboxes on the QQ (one under drivers side facia and 2 in engine bay)  and it doesn't say in the manual where it is.
For your information it is a 10 amp fuse in the fusebox nearest the grille. Both engine bay boxes are on the right hand side next to each other.

The fault was with the low tone horn. A continuity tester showed that the spade terminals on the horn (+ve and -ve) both have a path to the mounting bolt (earth) so creating a short circuit and blowing the fuse.
Have asked for a replacement from seller, but he has asked for me to send them back - which I am prepared to do at his cost after sending a replacement first. I have to keep the "high" tone norn on as the original Nissan horn can't go back on as I have cut the wiring.
Will post any further probs.
Ex-Engineer who swapped to driving trains and now a Blade Silver, 60-plate 1.5dci N-Tec Qashqai since Sept 6th 2010.
jerry2604 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry2604 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2012 at 9:41pm
E bay seller sent new horns pretty quick - good man.Thumbs Up However, and this is odd! I put the old {new faulty} horn on the bench and continuity tested the terminals to ground again and both went down but tested five minutes later and it was OK???? Must be a dodgy intermittent internal wire problem methinks! So I dismantle the horn and is a really simple electromagnet with an iron core welded to a diaphragm. A collar on the iron core breaks and re-makes the continuity of the circuit to the electromagnetic coil as it moves back and forth causing an oscillating frequency and the diaphragm then pumps the air at this frequency making the noise. 
Playing about with the few moving parts I got it to short out again once but couldn't see where. Although I think it is the metal diaphragm which being live (connected to the iron core) is shorting to the horn body and hence to earth as its only separated from the horn body by 2 paper washers.  It now seems to work perfectly.Wacko
Cut a long story short I now have dual tone (manly sounding) horns off ebay for £6.95 Smile
Ex-Engineer who swapped to driving trains and now a Blade Silver, 60-plate 1.5dci N-Tec Qashqai since Sept 6th 2010.
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 11:25am
Hi - Trying to remove the front grille as per the instruction in the first thread of this post.
Have removed the upper fixing clips (Step 2), but after an hour of looking at  just can't understand/find the LH/RH barb clips referred to in step 3.
Will worry about Step 4 when I've got past Step 3!

Any help appreciated.

Peter.
16 Reg Tekna 1.2 Digi-T Gunmetal. My third Qashqai.
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 2:01pm
Just squeeze the barbs in and they should allow the grill to pull forward.

PS: Have a scroll down this page to see where the clips are fitted behind the grill:

http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/how-to-fit-drls-daylight-running-lights_topic9019_page8.html

Edited by allan40alt - 25 Jan 2013 at 2:09pm
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 4:33pm
Thanks Allan
Have had another look but still can't see either the
clips or the brackets that stick out from the side in
your photo's.
Could the facelift models be fastened differently
to yours?
Intend buying twin horns once I know I can
get the grille off.
brainzzz View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 2:18pm
My version of horn fix
I bought these from the auction site..
They turned up this morning so I whipped of the grill and removed the Nissan toot toot . On the back of the horn there is a black molded part that is removed via the small clips.

Two bullet connectors

Wired and connected.

And a wrap of self amalgamating tape

twin horns

Edited by brainzzz - 28 Jan 2013 at 5:18pm
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 2:21pm
Thumbs Up
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Steveuk57 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steveuk57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 3:51pm
I bought some new horns late last year but arthritis stops me from even doing little jobs like this but have to say this method looks really good. I am waiting for my son to visit dsoon & will see if he can do this for me. I particularly like the way the plastic plug can be used.
Steve 2.0 Tekna CVT in Nighshade 2010
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 4:28pm
Clever idea to use the existing plug on the original horn!
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 5:04pm
Great idea
Would the black plug go back on the Nisson horn if required?
brainzzz View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by probyan probyan wrote:

Great idea
Would the black plug go back on the Nisson horn if required?

Sure will the tape will come of cleanly and the bullets are the same dia as the lugs on the horn..

Edited by brainzzz - 28 Jan 2013 at 5:08pm
probyan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote probyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 5:23pm
Thanks. That's good.
Thought the clips might have broken when you removed it from the horn.
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 11:33pm
Thanks to this topic I went to the local scrappy today for the first time in about 8/9 years. Picked up a nice clean set of MGF horns for £5. Fitted them right away and made sure all the wiring was nice and neat. The sound is amazing! I almost want someone to cut me up just so I can blast them! 

Edited by cantfindausername - 02 Apr 2016 at 11:33pm
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 8:28am
Yep, I did the same with mine and used MG/Rover horns about two years ago now but have just managed to source some brand new in the box PIAA Sports horns from Gumtree near me for a bargain price and fitted them yesterday and they are even better and louder than the MG/Rover ones!

I'm the same, waiting for the first idiot to cut me up so I can give them a dose!!!

2010 N-Tec 1.5dci Café Latte NOW SOLD!
Proud owner of 2014 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium, upgrades to follow!! Still lovin' it everyday!
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 8:42am
I was surprised how shockingly pathetic the factory horn was on our j10 Qq
I guess there is a minimum decibel level a new cars horn has to be (and possibly a max) but why nissan decided to pass the test by 0.000001% is a mystery to me.
I also went the piaa route.
old shape 2013 tekna 1.6dci
Newest car we have ever owned
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 4:59pm
Its not even so much the dB lever, but the mincer tone. Its great for a lady who wants to say 'doodle pip' to her girly friends as she drives off, but if you want to call someone some expletives you need a more aggressive tone. Thankfully there are plenty on the market with such a tone. My wife has even commented on how I've become reserved in horn usage (in the car! lol).
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
Stu_L View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 12:23pm
Replaced mine this weekend. Thanks to this thread it was a piece of cake to do, so well done all contributors !
Black 2012 1.5 dci N-Tec+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic