UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 1.5 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

How to defrost on icy mornings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_qash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to defrost on icy mornings
    Posted: 15áOctá2012 at 4:57pm
Hello,
I have a 3 year old 1.5 diesel which is great.
However when I first started to use it on a frosty
morning, it takes a while to demist the inside front
Windscreen. Am I doing something wrong or is this a feature ?

Thanks Steve
Freezing in Scotland
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áOctá2012 at 5:16pm
If you find out... let me know.. 4th Qashqai and its as rubbish now as it was in 2007 in my Dci.... Takes an age I could drive to Edinburgh by the time i can see!!!!

Fee xxx

Edited by Fee - 15áOctá2012 at 7:09pm
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áOctá2012 at 6:47pm
NISSAN QASHQAI 2007-2009 HEATER CONTROL PANEL
Pressing button bottom right sends blasts of air to front screen and also switches on the A/C.
This obvously assumes you have climate control installed.
2012 QQ+2 flame red N-tec+ 2.0 petrol, CVT, 4wd mudflaps,auto mirror kit
Steve_qash View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_qash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áOctá2012 at 7:35pm
Thanks guys,

I actually live outside Edinburgh in a Town called Penicuik. It gets very bad weather up here. I had hoped the Qashqai heating/demisting would be better than my previous Nissans but sadly no. I have spent a few minutes this morning freezing and reading the manual tonight and your posts confirm my suspicions.

Never mind, I really like the car, It's a joy to drive. I have never owned a diesel before and was slightly worried it might be underpowered but it seems to have enough to do me. The fuel consumption is excellent and I really like having so much room. I have previously owned an Almera and a quite a few Micras so I like the brand.

Another thing that worried me was the choice between petrol or diesel. I like the 1.5 it is a pleasant drive and can cope with the hills around here without a problem.

Thanks again.

Steve
RayBanJockey View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áOctá2012 at 7:48pm
I heard the diesels, epecially the 1.5 one, takes rather long to warm up and thats one way you notice it. I never had any trouble with my 2.0 petrol, well sometimes but it's no worse than in any other car I've owned. Or was I just lucky? Because sometimes it seems a bit random, some people hating the heating system and others having no problem at all.

---------------

2011 Nightshade 2WD M/T 2.0 petrol 2012 - White - Tekna - 2.0 - CVT - 4WD
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áOctá2012 at 8:00pm
Mines a petrol and seems to heat up quickly
2012 QQ+2 flame red N-tec+ 2.0 petrol, CVT, 4wd mudflaps,auto mirror kit
Kashmir View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Daaahhhling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áOctá2012 at 8:05pm
No problems with my 2.0 petrol either, it demists, defrosts and heats as fast as any other car I've owned ... but they have all been petrol. Using the A/C will allow condensation to dry quicker.
Tapir: Acenta 2l petrol 4wd faded denim left drive from 20/09/2010 to 18/11/2013
Beetroot: Acenta 1.5dci magnetic red steering on the wrong .. oh wait ..right hand side from 28/05/2014
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áOctá2012 at 10:52pm
Cant say I've noticed my 1.5dci taking its time, in fact I'd say it was probably the best desmisting car on frosty mornings I've had. I understand the facelift is supposed to be a big improvement but having  never had the earlier model I cant compare but cant fault mine at all.
Air vents shut, button to screen demist, temp initially cold so engine warms up a bit quicker then turn it up to what I'd normally have it at - thats what works in mine.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
sadsod View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadsod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áOctá2012 at 9:52am
Originally posted by RayBanJockey RayBanJockey wrote:

I heard the diesels, epecially the 1.5 one, takes rather long to warm up and thats one way you notice it. I never had any trouble with my 2.0 petrol, well sometimes but it's no worse than in any other car I've owned. Or was I just lucky? Because sometimes it seems a bit random, some people hating the heating system and others having no problem at all.

Had a mark1 -1.6petrol no problems heating/demisting.  now got 1.5 diesel and warm up time seems  a bit longer ,now that you mention it.Wink
white renault kadjar , 1.5d. As Fee puts it- Qashqai hasbeen!!!! now Nissan hasbeen 2,
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áOctá2012 at 10:46am
I didnt have many issues in my 2.0 petrol or 1.6 petrol, only the diesel is a nightmare!!
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áOctá2012 at 1:45pm
Biggest bug bear of mine - takes too flippin long, but according to the dealer - thats as good as it gets!! 
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
belmont View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áOctá2012 at 4:10pm
mine takes an age to clear, tried various permutations, still no good.  but never mind, soon we will be talking about the merits of diesel or petrol in the snow.  past blogs appear to prefer diesels because of the torque.
1.5.dci accent blue
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áOctá2012 at 5:40pm
my diesel performed brilliantly in the snow compared to my petrol.
belmont View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áOctá2012 at 9:36pm

fee, in your neck of the country you need something you can rely on during the winter months. i was impressed with my diesel quashie during the winter it got to places other cars could not.

1.5.dci accent blue
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áOctá2012 at 9:45pm
.... Agreed!
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áOctá2012 at 10:30am
It's not brilliant. But here is a tip.

Turn OFF the climate control/heating or whatever entirely when you first start the car. Give it about 2-3 minutes and then turn it on and it will work a lot better. This applies to all cars, not just the QQ.

The reason is that trying to extract heat from the cooling system of the car whilst it's still cold won't do anything but make it take ages to warm up, costing you extra fuel.

My Partner will dive into my car on a cold morning and wrench all the controls around all the way. What she seems incapable of grasping is that the system is thermostatically controlled. The reason why it doesn't give you any heat when you first start it is simply that it has none to give you. Turning it up all the way and whirling the fans won't acheive anything, except chilling the heater matrix as much as possible as well as filling the car with cold drafts. Drives me up the wall as it's entirely futile, irrational and screws up the settings for when the car DOES finally warm up!

Let it warm up until the needle is at least half-way between cold and normal and it will work a lot better. Some Gucci systes fitted to BMWs and (especially) Audis do this automatically (leading to people taking them back complaining that the heating doesn't work!). They won't turn the fans on until the coolant is warm enough for it to be worthwhile.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áOctá2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

Let it warm up until the needle is at least half-way between cold and normal and it will work a lot better. Some Gucci systes fitted to BMWs and (especially) Audis do this automatically (leading to people taking them back complaining that the heating doesn't work!). They won't turn the fans on until the coolant is warm enough for it to be worthwhile.
But, but... I thought that IS how the QQ's system works, and even the one in the suzuki swift we just had. You set it at a balmy 20 degrees celsius and absolutely nothing happens - until the engine is warmed up, and then it starts blowing. This is hard for my girlfriend to grasp too, she goes "cold in here innit" and happily turns it up to 25 Angry It's a thermostat, just leave it alone.

But yeah I have it off completely while I scrape ice and brush off the snow, and when I'm finally inside the car it's gotten just warm enough for it to have any effect.

---------------

andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áOctá2012 at 7:06pm
The Qashqai system does work like that.

I never touch my fan speed button, when I get in on a morning the fan will start up on 1 then as the car warms up the fan speed gets higher up to about half way where I set it when we first got the car.
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áOctá2012 at 8:02pm
I've tried everything.. I even keep a squeegee in the car during the winter to get rid of the moisture quicker.. and I also got rubber mats which dont retain the moisture like the velour ones...
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áOctá2012 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Fee Fee wrote:

squeegee

Very good idea that, got to be the tip of the day (well, except for the tequila). Having something to wipe with makes the whole thing much less of a problem! Just make sure it's something clean mind you, do not use your hand as you'll just get your screen dirty, and moisture loves dirty/greasy glass.

---------------

Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áOctá2012 at 9:39pm
Yeah... like my sons handprints.. not a good look!!!
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áOctá2012 at 10:27pm
The Qashqai's system kinda-of-but-not-quite works like that. The fans will start, but run very slowly from cold & the car will attempt to circular warm water.

Trust me. I leave my system on Auto the entire time. All I do it turn it off on cold mornings whilst the engine warms up. And smack the button again when it's warmed.
JIT View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áMará2015 at 5:32am
2 years later and I have just read it this lol. A little trick is to keep the front two windows open an inch or two when you first sit in the car. Our body gives off a lot of heat and with the cold in the car you get more condensation however this window trick works and I have been doing it for years. Once the screen has cleared up like 75% then I close the windows. Might sound like utter nonsense but try it first.
twocues View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áMará2015 at 6:08am
Pano roof vehicles will be worse too with the expanse of glass....

My tip is a few (7 or 8) silica gel bags hidden around the car in pockets/glove box etc. in the worst winter weeks I throw a couple on the dash. Never had a drop since.

Keep them out of the reach of little hands though as they are poisonous if eaten.

:)
2012 1.6 DCI Tekna +2 Mineral Grey.
Styling plate, Aces folding mirror kit, 2015 gear knob, mud flaps, Bee sting antenna, LED sidelights, club sticker :) more mods to come...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic