UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Know How..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

How to fit a Tow Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Benthebow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to fit a Tow Bar
    Posted: 02†Jun†2010 at 5:13pm
If you are at the rear of the car there is a small connector on the left hand side in side the boot just under the rear boot trim.

I didn't need to remove the seats to do this though the wiring is a bit tight.
Socket  Layout
  1   2             3
  4   5   6   7   8

No.                         Function                              Colour.                                 Bypass Relay      Output Pin No
1              =             Foglights                              Yellow/Grey                       Blue                      2
2              =             Sidelights                             Red/Blue                           Brown                   5
3              =             Left Indicator                       Brown/Grey                       Yellow                   1
4              =             Stop Light                            Red/White/Grey                 Red                      6
5              =             +12V                                    White/Blue                        12V Term              N/C
6              =             Right Indicator                     Green/Grey                       Green                   4
7              =             Reversing Light                    Yellow/Green                    Grey                      R
8              =             Earth                                    Black/Grey                          White                  N/C

Black Wire Donít connect Brown does this for you.

12 N Socket White connect to ground on Car.

Sorry Didn't take a photo when I did the electrics. I think also that one of the wires is another three colour one.  Please Ignor the By pass realy stuff as this might not be the same for you.

Ben The Bow

finbaar View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finbaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10†Jun†2010 at 12:53pm
Ben, interesting that.  Mine goes back to the dealer this affy as they couldn't wire the electrics on the tow bar right (the RH side light does not work but credit where credit is due thats only one wrong a Renault dealr got all of the wrong on a previous scenic).  The brown wire is not functioning and on 7 pin 12 N electrics the wiring is

Yellow LH signal
                      Red break lights             Blue fog lights
                                       Black LH side light
                      Brown RH side light         White earth
                                         Green RH signal

So how does this fit in with your info above?

Best Regards
Fin

Tekna +2 1.5 dCi Mineral Grey
gumgum View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gumgum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 1:56am
Ok this is my biggest diy project yet, fitting a towbar. This guide is in 3 parts (currently incomplete and being posted in parts just in case this pc crashes + because it is soo long. I'll continue it when I get an extra hour :lol: )

Fixed PCT Towbar for a Qashqai +2. Part 1 of 3 - How to remove the rear bumper

This takes hours (guess approx 4-8 depending how good you are at stripping down body work. The website says 1.5hrs but I guess this is the amount of time for a professional garage to do the job :roll: ), you'll need 2 people as the bar is too heavy to lift and bolt into place by yourself.

I got my towbar from ebay for £50, but you can buy them new if you feel like spending £192 (fixed) £314(removable)

the fitting instructions are online (fixed) http://www.pct.eu.com/automotive/Fittin ... N4346A.pdf
(removable) http://www.pct.eu.com/automotive/Fittin ... NN9382.pdf
but only use them as a rough guide, the qq has way more clips & panels to remove than stated.

1) Check you have all the bolts & parts before you start (list on fitting instructions), v important if you buy 2nd hand. I had to get a few extra bolts from toolstation (screwfix also sells them) do not use B&Q, HOMEBASE, etc as they only sell BZP bolts (light), you need A2 (exterior) or A4 (marine) bolts.

2) Get under the car and locate all the push clips holding the bumper in place (8 along the bottom), I've put arrows on one side only

3) Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to pull up the centre of the clip, then pull the whole clip out with your fingers

4) Undo the bumper bolts in the wheel arch using a #10 socket or a cross head screwdriver

5) You should now be able to lift the wheel arch trim. Pull gently from the bottom to release the first 3 "pop clips" (pink arrows) to expose the clips (blue arrows) holding on the bumper. Undo these as per instruction 2) above

6) All the trim around the wheel should now move freely, but do not try to remove the bumper yet!

7) Remove the rear lights by undoing the 2 bolts holding them in place, pull toward you, and when the wire is exposed undo the clip holding the light to the car

8) Now there will only be 2 white blocks on each side of the car holding the bumper in place. Gently slide a flat blade screwdriver in between the clip and the bumper being careful not to scratch the paintwork or break the clip. Each vertical block (can only access when light removed) has 2 "teeth", the horizontal blocks (over wheel arch) have 3 "teeth"

9) You can now tilt the bumper up to expose the last 3 clips along the boot-lining, these just need to be gently pulled to release

10) Disconnect the fog-light (and if you have rear sensors I guess they will be in here too?)
Your car will now look like you have had a rear-end crash
gumgum View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumgum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 1:58am
Fixed PCT Towbar for a Qashqai +2. Part 2 of 3 - How to attach the towbar to the car

Please read Part 1 first

11) Remove the 4 other bits of (now loose) plastic trim from the back/wheel arch, not essential but it will make getting to fixing points easier. Again these are only held in place by push clips [see how to remove 3) in guide part 1]

12) Remove the raised blanking plates from the left and right of the car (the RHS covers the connection for a towing loop/breakdown recovery)

REFER TO THE MANUFACTURERS GUIDE TO IDENTIFY WHICH PLATES GO ON THE LHS OR RHS OF THE CAR (see guide part 1 for link to manufacturers website)
13) Fit the reinforcing plate to the LHS frame, under the car near the exhaust using the M12 bolts. These screw into the supplied plate with nuts welded to it that slides into the hole you uncovered by removing the blanking plate (see 12 above)

14) Fit the reinforcing plate to the RHS frame, under the car (drivers side rear) using the M10 bolts. These screw into another supplied plate with nuts welded to it that slides into the hole you uncovered by removing the blanking plate (see 12 above)

15) 2 MAN JOB - Lift the towbar and connect the bolts on the LHS. This is so easy & obvious; if you need further guidance the online guide is very clear for this stage. Only 1/2 tighten bolts so that it is easier to move the connect the RHS

16) Connect the bolts on the RHS. THIS BIT TOOK AGES - VERY FIDDLY & NO EASY ACCESS.
NOTE: in the photo below, I had to remove the 40mm M10 bolt & replace it with a 30mm M10 bolt as the original was too long. ***PUT IN THE FURTHEST BACK BOLT 1st - OR IT WILL NOT FIT ONCE YOU PUT IN THE NEAREST BOLT***

17) Thread the power cables into the boot of the car through the same grommet that the foglight uses. I found the LHS bumper rail was easy to unscrew, lay the cables behind, then retighten to use as a "cable tidy"

18) The towbar is now fitted. Tighten all the bolts securely & give it a good "waggle" to make sure it is tight. If you used the supplied anti-slip washers or replaced the original nuts with A2 Nylock nuts(as I did), there is no way the bolts/nuts will come loose

19) Refit all the trim in the opposite order to the removal guide (part 1)

20) Your car should now look the dogs dangleys with its new towbar

gumgum View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gumgum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 2:01am
above guide provided by ANTEG
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 2:53pm
Bl**dy Hell - no wonder they charge so much to do them Shocked
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 2:59pm
Yep cos they have to take the car to bitsLOL.
Thats a great guide thoughThumbs Up
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 4:06pm
think id rather pay the £250 supplied an fitted ,youve only got to scratch the bumper getting it off and you wont have saved anything
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 4:50pm

Whereas I have great respect for folk who tackle jobs like this as a DIY - it's not for me I'm afraid Shocked.

EDIT: I am very enthusiastic about DIY though.  The other day wifey asked me to put up a shelf.  I said............'Do It Yourself'..............boom boom. Embarrassed

Edited by G5 BOY - 16†Jun†2010 at 4:53pm
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 5:00pm
Oh you are a roundtuit person thenLOL
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jun†2010 at 5:07pm
move over basil brush LOL
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
anteg View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anteg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18†Jun†2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by gumgum gumgum wrote:

above guide provided by ANTEG

Thanks for putting my guide up here. I couldn't be bothered to do it all again, especially when broadband dies mid posting Wacko. I'll let you know when I've got the electric bits (part 3) up too
Bye bye Nightshade 2.0 Petrol Tekna Squashy+2, Hello Magnetic Red 1.6 Diesel Squashy+2
bazzle View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04†Jul†2010 at 9:24am
Good post.
Will help me tackle mine in the near future. ;)

Bazzle
billyboy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24†Jul†2010 at 8:37pm
Had a Witter towbar fitted to my QQ 2 weeks ago.Taking the caravan down to Burnham on Sea Sumerset tomorrow.First time towing with my 1.5dci Ntec.Hopefully its up to the job ,shall report back next week and let you know.
1.5 dci n-tec pearl black due 28th june (hopefully)
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24†Jul†2010 at 9:18pm
i'd be very interested to know how you get on m8 as a former caravan tow'er myself
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28†Jul†2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by billyboy billyboy wrote:

Had a Witter towbar fitted to my QQ 2 weeks ago.Taking the caravan down to Burnham on Sea Sumerset tomorrow.First time towing with my 1.5dci Ntec.Hopefully its up to the job ,shall report back next week and let you know.

how did you get on billyboy on your summerset trip
billyboy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30†Jul†2010 at 8:21pm
Hi craig got back today,no worries on pulling the caravan,she"1200KG stayed in 5th and 6th gear all the way got an average 35 MPG.VERY PLEASED.
1.5 dci n-tec pearl black due 28th june (hopefully)
Qashtom View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14†Feb†2011 at 7:48pm
Many thanks , followed your instruction and all was well. Many thanks great guide.   See what you mean about the right side, took me ages to figure out how to get the bolt to the plater inside at the back chasis support, long bit of wood and tape.  Many thanks.

Tom

Edited by craigfishin - 14†Feb†2011 at 8:30pm
Tekna 1.5Dci Pearl Black, Due 24 Oct 2010. Now Due 28 Sep 2010. Arrived 18 Oct 2010
behavedaveo View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15†Feb†2011 at 11:37am
just ordered on from pfjones detachable one for £165  got a guy coming run thursday to fit it hes only charging £70:00 saves me getting my hands dirty lol i'll stay in the warm
owner of a tekna 2.0dci in nightshade
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15†Feb†2011 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by behavedaveo behavedaveo wrote:

just ordered on from pfjones detachable one for £165  got a guy coming run thursday to fit it hes only charging £70:00 saves me getting my hands dirty lol i'll stay in the warm

Is that a Witter one?

1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15†Feb†2011 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by noki49 noki49 wrote:

Is that a Witter one?

I'd like to see pics of this Daveo - if that's the witter one as G5 asks, that's what I'd like too. WHo/what company is coming to fit this for you - or is a local guy to you?
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15†Feb†2011 at 10:11pm
It's a local guy to me Davis towbars at wickford the one i got was a westifila one when it's fitted I'll post some pics with towbar in and removed did have a look at the witter one as it was a tenner cheaper but I think/hope this one does not stick down so far when not in use
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15†Feb†2011 at 10:13pm
OK, thanks mate - I'll see what yours is like first before making a decision....cheers mate Thumbs Up
Qashtom View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Feb†2011 at 11:03am
Hamish, I can take photo of mine if you like its a Witter. Professssionally fitted by me, only took about 3 hours, with lots of coffee, most time was to figure out jow to get the right hand side bolt fitted, in the chasis leg about 10 inch inside. 

Tom
Tekna 1.5Dci Pearl Black, Due 24 Oct 2010. Now Due 28 Sep 2010. Arrived 18 Oct 2010
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Feb†2011 at 11:30am
Ah, Tom, you are a gentleman Sir....Thumbs Up Yes please Tom

....that's a quick time and with coffee breaks. Did you have to remove the bumper also?
Qashtom View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Feb†2011 at 2:15pm
Here you go, needs a good wash.   Got the ebay special with dedicated electrics, just plugs in with the earth and the fog lamp to wire.    
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Feb†2011 at 7:04pm
Tom is that a fixed towbar then ??? ,, hamish when I get mine fitted tomorrow I'll post a few pics so ya can see a detachable one on and removed !!!
Qashtom View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Feb†2011 at 7:09pm
Yes witter fixed.

Tom.

PS: mudflaps not working very well at moment.
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Feb†2011 at 9:50pm
Tom, you need to get that car in the SHowcase: Filthy Dirty thread..your mudflaps are definately not working.

Nice job on the towbar (thanks for the pics) - that looks a very neat install. Not too much fuss about it - clean and simple which I like...very nice Thumbs Up

I admit I am after a removeable one preferably as it will only be used at weekends....

Daveo - yes I look forward to those pics with the towbar on and off...thankyou mate, very kind...Smile
Qashtom View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Feb†2011 at 8:56am
Witter do a removabl one as well, exactly the same, but the neck is removable, and £100 more.  
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Feb†2011 at 12:57pm
just a quick update towbar just fitted looks great electrics fold up out the way when not in use and you can not see it when not in use if it was not for the red dust cover that goes back in the hole when the bar is removed may have to get the black spray out and give it a coat so it does not show too much will do some photos tomorrow as i got to do me dinner before i go to work now and wont have time ... Big smile
I forgot to say the witter one does hang down a bit and can be seen from behind thats whi i went for the westfila one glad i did now as it looks so cool.

Edited by behavedaveo - 17†Feb†2011 at 1:00pm
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Feb†2011 at 2:17pm
sounds great mate
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Feb†2011 at 3:15pm

will do some photos tomorrow as i got to do me dinner before i go to work now and wont have time ... Big smile
I forgot to say the witter one does hang down a bit and can be seen from behind thats whi i went for the westfila one glad i did now as it looks so cool.

Looking forwards to seeing the photos. I have been planning on fitiing a detachable towbar myself and was leaning towards a Witter one purely because I had heard of them and used them before.

1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18†Feb†2011 at 11:12am
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18†Feb†2011 at 11:16am

can you see what i mean about the red bung def going to see if i can make it black so it does not look so bright lol but it is good the the electrics fold right up in the bumper Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic