UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Know How..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

How to fit a Tow Bar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 11:48am
looks good mate , very well hidden
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 11:50am
Very neatThumbs Up
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
behavedaveo View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 11:51am
yea took a chance and to came out ok glad i didint get the witter one now as i know that one hangs down about 2 inches
owner of a tekna 2.0dci in nightshade
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 12:00pm
looks good mate. when the bars off its barely noticeable.. and if you paint the bung black (halfords do black plasti-cote paint that would work)

you wont see it at all.
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 4:18pm
Daveo - I like that a lot Thumbs Up

I like Tom's install too Thumbs Up, both very neatly done.

But having it hidden like that is perfect for me....just what I'm looking for. So details, where, when, how, who....

Thanks Tom and Daveo for posting the pics...good work guys.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 4:23pm

i can answer that hamish

Where = Essex
When = ??Recently??
How = im guessing Bolts!
Who = Daveo

that enough info hamish
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 4:59pm
just shoot him hamish and be done with it , i know a man who can Wink 
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:35pm
Got the tow bar from pfjones.co.uk £165 and the electrics kit was £47 I think but to be honest you could just connect a normal socket to it rather than one for a Nissan qashqai as there's no relays or anything in the kit !!!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:39pm
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/qashqai-2007-detachable-towbar.html

This is the one I got
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:40pm
maybe its to do with the bracket daveo?

the qq one maybe has a different bracket.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:46pm
Craig I meant the deacated wiring if you see the 1st post it tell you what pins do what on the socket in the boot the only thing you get with the deaicated socket is it switches off the rear fog and parking sensors ( if fitted) When the trailer plug is plugged in

Edited by behavedaveo - 18 Feb 2011 at 5:48pm
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:55pm
cheers for info, duelly noted.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 6:07pm
are you adding one then qqk ???
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 6:16pm

not at the moment. but possible in future. dont have a use for one just now.. never tow anything.

but its good to know incase i ever need one.
(not that my 1.6 would tow much )
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behavedaveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 6:19pm
I just got mine for a cycle rack didn't want one of them that clip on the boot or go on the roof
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 6:32pm
same here daveo. i dont have a bike so no need for a rack

but if i did wouldnt want the boot or roof rack type
Sapper View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:22pm
TOW BAR FITTING 

Thank you Anteg for your guide it was a great help and saved me bags of time even though it still took me a total of six hours to fit one, mainly because I did not want to damage the bumper when taking it off the side clips were a real pain, and i must have wasted a good hour trying to figure out how to get the electrics from the battery to the boot. I settled in the end to passing the cable underneath the car which I am not really happy with so if any member has done it via the engine bulkhead please post a reply?.

I have fitted a Witter detachable flange type mainly because i wanted the option of putting a bike rack/carrier on to the tow bar enabling me to tow at the same time as carrying up to three bikes.

PFJones as recommended on this site are the boys to see, miles cheaper than any one else.

Nightshade n-tec 1.5 dci born 3rd Sept 2010 post face lift pre DPF.
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 4:40pm
looks good sapper , i gave up trying to get a wire through the bulk head , just to much involved
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 8:31pm

I bought my Westfalia Detachable towbar from P.F.Jones today. £165 still.

I had originally planned to get the Witter one but took the advise from Behavedaveo.
I will wait for some nice weather for fitting.

Whilst fitting my illuminated side sills I spotted a grommet in the bulkhead near the BCM. I thought this would be handy for getting wires through to engine compartment if required at a later stage.

Edited by noki49 - 31 Mar 2011 at 8:36pm
1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
hundleton1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hundleton1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 5:53pm
Bringing this thred back to life rather than starting a new I have a question.   I'm llooking to fit a bar with 13pin electrics. If I connect to the Nissan supplied wireing in the boot do I need I use a bypass relay?

Am looking to cut the connector off and solder directly to those wires.
rabbin8 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 7:44pm
No.Smile
1.5dci N-TEC Magnetic Red, blue interior LEDs Mudflaps,Wind deflectors,DRLs,Bee sting aerial and Swan neck tow bar for Elsie Elddis.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hundleton1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 9:32am
Thanks for the reply. One last question. Any ideas of a cable route from the cabin to the engine bay. Been
Poking but not looking good
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 11:30am
There isnt one , not without removing the protection plates underneath im afraid
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hundleton1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 7:16pm
Thanks all for the help, fitted  the bar today, i found a way into the engine bay from the passenger side,  If you remove the glove box, in the door pillar there is a black paper dot covering a hole into it, then when the door is open there are two rubber grommets covering a hole that points backward and the other outwards from the car,  i managed to get a cable from that hole inside to the hole points outwards, this between the wing and the door, then the cable can go behind the wing and into the engine bay, the cable is visable when the door is open but is clear from the hinge. 

Thanks 

Ian 
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hundleton1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 9:03pm
Hi guys after a bit more advice, am fitting a 13 pin socket, i intend to tap into the nissan provided wireing for the lights,(cut off the plug and solder directly ) for the power for the fridge and van battery i have run cable to the rear ready, i intend to use a TEB7AS bypass relay for the lights, i decided to use on as ever pice of advice recommended one for safety even when using the manufactures wiring, i am also going to use the TEC3m split charge for the power for the fridge and battery charging/caravan power. 

i have run a 27A cable directly from the battery to the rear ready, this was intended for the Split charge circuit only, however now i have received the Bypass relay it stated it also needs 25A feed for the lights, now i know there is a 12v feed in the nissan wiring however i don't know what this is fused at or if its enough to power caravan lights. 

my other options are run everything of the new 27A cable however i don't this this would be enough for both or run another feed back from the battery again for the relay. 

Any advice ?

thanks 

Ian 
rabbin8 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 10:14pm
You will only be charging your caravan battery when your towing. Presumeably you will be using the van battery for your lighting so why do you need an extra feed from your car battery? In any case 25amps!!! You dont normally get more than 16 amp AC power from a site hook up, so what are you powering with 25amps DC?Confused
1.5dci N-TEC Magnetic Red, blue interior LEDs Mudflaps,Wind deflectors,DRLs,Bee sting aerial and Swan neck tow bar for Elsie Elddis.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hundleton1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2012 at 11:06pm
basically when towing the caravan club state that most fridges are 180w and can draw upto 15A alone, add to this what ever current the battery will use to charge as well so thats the 27A feed swallowed up, 

The problem is the bypass relay also requires a feed of at least 25A just for powering the caravan lights when driving,  the unknown is the 12v feed provided by nissan in the tow bar electric prewired plug, from the gauge of wire its certainly thinner than the 27A i bought, i cant find any info on if its fused or ratings. 

i either use this to power the bypass relay of my only other choice would be another feed from the battery for this. 

Technics View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:03am

Hi Ben
Just seen your old post re fitting a tow bar. I'm fitting aftermarket reversing sensors and need to connect a cable to the reversing lights circuit. Would the connector you mentioned be suitable for this. Also where exactly in the boot can I find this socket?
Thanks for your help.
Mike
Mike
2009 Qashqai N-Tec - Silver - 1.6 Petrol
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 9:43pm
Hi Mike, I see you found this thread - just posted a link on your other post about "potentially" removing the bumper (or part of it).....

As for the electrics, I'm pretty sure if you remove the inside trim at the rear of the boot the socket is in that area to the left (or could be behind left side panel).
Honestly can't remeber exactly now, but just know its on the left side.
Whether its got what you want I'm afraid i can't help there... is it just a trigger for the sensors?
If so, I guess the reverse light cable could be used?? No?
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Technics View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 11:01pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes it's just a trigger for the reversing sensors. on my last car it was a two minute job as the reversing lights were within the boot so it was just a scotchlock connection onto the reversing light cable. The Qashqai is more difficult as the reversing lights are in the hatch. I'll have another look tomorrow but I couldn't see any connector when I looked earlier today.
Appreciate your help.
Best wishes.
Mike
Mike
2009 Qashqai N-Tec - Silver - 1.6 Petrol
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 8:32am
Bit of a resurection here but hoping it finds the answer...

behavedaveo - your westfalia towbar, did it require the bumper to be trimmed at all? The current set of instructions listed on pfjones website shows a few cuts that need to be made and I wanted to check that this was still the same towbar listed as the one you have/had fitted. I want to get a towbar that has no external visibility apart from when in use and this one of your fits the bill perfectly. Thumbs Up

Many thanks
Ant
Sapper View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 11:31am
Hi reference fitting of tow bar. I fitted a tow bar to my 2010 N tec and it did not need any cuts to the bumper and was quite straight forward to fit. It was a Witter detachable tow bar DT134Q for Nissan Qashqai 2007 on. Hope that helps.

Dave
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 11:41am
Do you have any pics you can attache Dave?

Thanks
Ant
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
Sapper View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 3:50pm
Hi Ant If you go to a recent entry of mine on this thread dated 31st march 2011 there are a couple of photos and I did a detailed topic on how I did it that is on here some where.

Regards dave
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 6:33am
Thanks for this guide. I used it for reference in fitting my Westfalia 'hidden' towbar this weekend.

Took me about 7 hours total over Friday evenikg and Saturday morning. Which included removing the interior and back seats from my +2. Could have been a lot quicker without that 'new car' paranoia.

My only comments would be:
- The 3 teeth or tangs that hold the bumper on between the wheel arch and rear of the car are impossible to get to - unless there is a special tool to get in and press them out of the way. Both sides were yanked off on mine - this isn't a problem though as the bumper is more than securely fastened with the rest of the fittings.
- There is also a bolt below the rear lights which secures the bumper.
- Font tilt the bumper too far when pulling it free from the last 3 connectors. I snapped one of mine. The bumper just needs to be pulled straight out of these clips.

All in all though this is a great guide!! And it should give anyone with a bit of spanner experience the confidence to DIY this job. Thank you for posting it!!

Ant
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic