Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Know How..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to fit DRL's (Daylight Running Lights)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 9:37pm
Got a set of L-Shaped DRL off ebay.
It is just a touch too long for the space next to the plate. Should have check more carefully. Confused

AcesDvds View Drop Down
Approved
Approved

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcesDvds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 9:42pm
Cut the plastic behind you wont see it, thats what was done with this set Thumbs Up

chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by AcesDvds AcesDvds wrote:

Cut the plastic behind you wont see it, thats what was done with this set Thumbs Up

Do you mean the vertical fin of the bumper?
AcesDvds View Drop Down
Approved
Approved

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcesDvds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 11:31pm
Yes thats the one Thumbs Up
Trev&Collette View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trev&Collette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 1:59am

Excellent piece of information there.. I haven't even got my QQ yet but planing on getting these on it..
Many thanks.
<< Awaiting Delivery Of Metallic Mineral Grey, Manual, 1.6 Petrol Qashqai Acenta >>   << Some subtle blinging to come >>
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 1:56pm
The control unit arrived today. Smile
Something to play with over the weekend.
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 8:26am
Hi guys...Cry
I've a little problem, i installed the Philips drl 4 connected directly to the battery e to the sidelight cable, everything is ok but i noticed that sometimes during the drive the leds automatically switch off and switch on often.
Anyone can tell me what it is the exact cable from the fuse box to bring tha inigtion power on line? I didnt understand from the photo in the post before, i've the 2012 model.
Many many thanks for the reply i dont like to be a christmas tree!
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 10:38am
I really dont undestand what cable is the ignition...

Connect the wire from the piggy back fuse to the end of the white
inline fuse wire, live feed for the relay. Pull out one of those ignition fuses
and replace with the piggy back fuse. Itís a bit fiddly in there.
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 3:01pm
This picture is much better, partly because it's mine LOL and partly because it's much clearer.

This is from a facelift QQ.

Edited by andspenka - 05 Jul 2013 at 3:02pm
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2013 at 3:13pm
You are not looking for the ignition cable.

You're looking for a cable that is live only when the ignition is turned 'on'.

The connector block in my old 2009 Tekna already had a cable inserted into the end connector which was for the front parking sensors. I simply attached to that cable using a 'scothlok' (Blue in the picture above but I later bound that tight using black self-amalgamating tape.
The negative was also connected with a 'scotchlok' (Red in the picture; this also was bound tight with self-amalgamating tape.

NB:  I had to use a blue connector for the live as I was joining onto a larger wire so I had to use a suitable size connector.

You can see the in-line fuse holder at the bottom of the picture.

Your model may be slightly different and a small multitester will help you locate a suitable wire that is live only when the ignition is 'on'.

Hope this helps.

Al.

PS: My control wire for the sidelights was connected directly to the live feed wire to the sidelight closest to the connector box:

I have removed the bulb and holder from the headlight and the air intake in order to take this photo.

If you wish to do all the connections inside the connector box then andspenka's picture is the one to follow.

Edited by allan40alt - 05 Jul 2013 at 3:30pm
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 6:47am
Many thanks for all reply, today i'm trying to connect the drl...ClapHug
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 7:28pm
Running into a bit of problem with mine.
The DRL goes on for 5 second and then goes off. Any idea ? Confused
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 8:08am
Chengi this is the same problem of mine, i connected the unit to the battery, i think that we solve the problem simply connecting the red + to cable that is live when ignition is live as the photo of andspenka or allan40alt

Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 9:50am
When I had mine connected to the battery I noticed mine came on for about 5 seconds then off then on etc when I was charging the battery.

That is the reason I routed the wiring into the connector box.

Never had the problem after that.

Wink
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by allan40alt allan40alt wrote:

When I had mine connected to the battery I noticed mine came on for about 5 seconds then off then on etc when I was charging the battery.

That is the reason I routed the wiring into the connector box.

Never had the problem after that.

Wink

Wink i hope to connect my dlr correctly soon as possible because at the moment i'm like a christmas tree!
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 1:41pm
stevezx77, allan40alt: I have tried connecting the relay to the connection box as per andspenka and allan40alt, but it still does the same thing. I tested the voltage and it seems steady.............
The seller think I might have a faulty relay and I am getting a replacement, fingers cross........ Confused
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by chengi chengi wrote:

stevezx77, allan40alt: I have tried connecting the relay to the connection box as per andspenka and allan40alt, but it still does the same thing. I tested the voltage and it seems steady.............
The seller think I might have a faulty relay and I am getting a replacement, fingers cross........ Confused

Can you shot a photo of the connection ?
Tnk
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 8:06pm
stevezx77: I have removed the unit from the car. It is my intension to try again over the weekend. I will take a picture when I do.

andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by chengi chengi wrote:

stevezx77: I have removed the unit from the car. It is my intension to try again over the weekend. I will take a picture when I do.

When you say they are flashing on and off, when are you checking this?

The reason I ask is, if I turn my ignition on but not start the car, I have noticed that my lights flash on and off. Once I start the car they work perfect and never flash at all.

I would check with the engine running to be sure.
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 11:52pm
andspenka: Good point. I just turn the key but NOT start the engine. I will bear this in mind when I try this again.
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 6:29am
I dont understand why is still flashing if you bring the live + from fuse box, if the ignition is on i think that it wil be stay on until you stop the car correct?
In the weekend i'll try with a multimeter i hope to find the correct connection and i'll tell you.
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 11:06pm
They flash because the control box is voltage sensing, the voltage isn't constant when the engine isn't running.

The connection is fine, that's not saying there won't be others that you could connect to.

Personally, I'm not bothered if mine flash when the engine isn't running. 
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 11:21pm
At least I'll know why its doing then when I fit mine - ordered the Philips set todayThumbs Up
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 5:38pm
andspenka: It is now half working. The DRL comes on, 2 seconds after the engine starts running. Result. However, if I connect the side light wire to the red/white wire, it flashes like crazy. I will have to check over mine again.
This is my test set up.

One of the light is upside down so I can see it goes on when I turn the key inside the car.
The box is of the DRL I am actually using.

The relay is resting on the battery tray. Once I get it all working. I will rewire it into the relay box.

ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 11:43pm
My philips one arrived today, I take it from the various pics that instead of connecting the red to the battery you remove the fork connector & join to the ignition on live wire.   Seems strange to me connecting both red & black directly to  the battery.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:23am
They work on the voltage increase as soon as the engine starts (I think? Confused).
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:42am
Originally posted by allan40alt allan40alt wrote:

They work on the voltage increase as soon as the engine starts (I think? Confused).

I believe you are right. Smile
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:42am
I know that qq charge the battery only when the accelerator pedal is relased or however to preserve the battery isnt in charge always, it think that this change the voltage and if you connect the box to the battery the led flashing.
In the weekend i'll hope to have time to test with the multimeter the good cable on the fuse box.
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 7:52am
Mine used to come on when I put the battery charger on with the ignition off.

That's why I re-connected them into the connector box.

ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 1:44pm
So what would you recomend then, connecting the red to the battery or the live wire in the connector?
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 2:07pm
the live wire in the connectorThumbs Up
jat-at-home View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jat-at-home Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 4:09pm
While surfing around the web I found a German installation manual of the original Nissan DRL of the QQ (part nbr 9999900513) from 01/2010 (the Hella ones)
The following wiring information may be helpfull to some who want to connect DRL's on facelifted QQ:
- connect the grounding wire to the (-) minus of the battery
- in the Intelligent Power Distribution module (connector E13 - see included layout of the module):
   - connect the positive wire (+) to pin 36 (power on ignition) [blue/white wire of E13]
   - connect the control wire to pin 44 (sidelight) [blue wire of E13]
Please measure the power on each pin before connecting anything
 (I can't be held responsible when something goes wrong... just wanted to share this information )

I didn't verified it myself... still waiting for my QQ 360
Can a technical expert verify this and confirm and/or correct ?

PM me if you want me to send the original installation manual (German language)

DRL wiring schema
Intelligent Power Distribution module
Qashqai 360 1.6 dCi - Storm White &
Qashqai 1.2 Dig-T Tekna - Bronze
chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 4:47pm
Thanks very much. I had been looking for this for a while with no luck. Thanks again for posting
stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 9:19am
Hi...
so i take some times to connect the dlr to the fuse box and now it works correctely, as the photo below bring from jat-at-home i connect the red cable of the control unit in the last right place that on my QQ 2013 is free.(red rectangle)
The negative is still connected to the battery, now it's works !!!

stevezx77 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevezx77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 8:02am
ai ai ai what a f*ck !!!
my dlr flash again but now not so often, so i connect also the negative cable into fuse box and the sidelight cable orange also into fuse box.
If it's flashing again i finish the idea!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic