UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Know How..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

How to fit DRL's (Daylight Running Lights)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
slabgood View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slabgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 10:26am
I have to say the ones I have are a million times brighter than they come out in pictures. If you want to see how bright they are, go in to halfords and press the button on the box as there is a battery inside so you can test them! I would have prefered dimmings ones, maybe you could step down the voltage when the lights are on....
2010 Black 1.6 Acenta
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:59pm
Hmm;  I've just noticed this:

When fitting a pair of Daylight Running Lamps (DRL) 
you should obey the following legal requirements:
The lamps should be positioned symmetrically and in pairs: 
the same height from the road and the same distance from 
the sides of the vehicle.
The lamps should be fitted so that the outer edges are no more 
than 400mm from the outer edge of the vehicle. Height above the 
ground must be a minimum of 250mm and a maximum of 1500mm.

I've just measured the distance from the edge of my Qq and the closest I can get using the lower grill area is 500mm (520mm if I leave enough room to get the locking bolt in place).  The limit is 400mm.

Newer models with the more 'swept' design look like they comply.

Edited by allan40alt - 30 Mar 2012 at 3:13pm
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 3:13pm
Noticed that rule myself, but never measured it.... but that confirms we wouldn't be legal... and with a tougher MOT coming into force I wonder if its worth it.
NIce to cut them into the bumper but there's no way I'm attempting that!! LOL
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
slabgood View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slabgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 4:05pm
I would have to disagree, the lights are about 11in 300 mm measuring from the outer edge of the light to the outer edge of the car. Also Nissan aftermarket fit them here and they wouldn't do so if illegally positioned.

Here is a picture of me proving it!

2010 Black 1.6 Acenta
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 4:14pm
Yes, you're ok as you have the newer, swept, design to the lower bumper as I mentioned;  but on my model you can't get less than 500mm as the design is different.

Edited by allan40alt - 30 Mar 2012 at 4:18pm
slabgood View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slabgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 4:25pm
Fair enough!
2010 Black 1.6 Acenta
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 5:08pm
Another idea would be to replace the fog lights with these :

88mm wide  - recon they would fit within the existing holes for the front fog lamps ??
2008-Qashqai Acenta( blue 1.6 ) & 2009 - Qashqai n-tek ( silver 1.6 ) within the family !!
blackhawkf1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhawkf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 7:42pm
As requested by gadget

Still doesn't look as bright as in the flesh.

Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:30am
I've contacted Ring asking them to qualify the legality of positioning these DRLs in the position shown on the Qashqai models in their 'DRLs In Action' videos.

I'll report further when I receive a reply as I really think they are a good safety feature for both pedestrians and other drivers. Aesthetically they are pleasing too. 

They may even suggest an alternative style or method of fitting on our earlier models.

Al.
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 9:55am
In the mean time I looked at these:

Now they could be fitted immediately below the headlight lens with the wire going into the engine bay area via the gap between the trim and lens bottom inside corner.

They get good reports and work well with one of these:

Could be an alternative way of fitting.
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:25am
Funny enough your post above is almost exactly what I wrote earlier on somehwere on this forum - thought it was on this very thread but cant see it ??!! but yes have these strip lights here and my plan was to do the same and fit them directly underneath the gap within the headlamps.
the led strips I went for were these ones :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230464948829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

the above lights are 100 times brighter from side on so would suit being mounted flat under the headlamp glass and this way the actual strips themselves would hardly be seen.

the glass headlamp on the pre facelift model is around 33cms in length so the above ones would be ideal in that they are long enough to be cut exact.

to be honest thou my lastest idea is just to replace the fog lights with a set off round drl lamps that should fit nicely and look very factory fit !!

will keep you posted !!
2008-Qashqai Acenta( blue 1.6 ) & 2009 - Qashqai n-tek ( silver 1.6 ) within the family !!
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:33am
They look a good possibility. 

PS:  I looked at the fog lamp option but they seem to be only 0.5w LEDs whereas most of the other DRLs are 1.5w.  

Edited by allan40alt - 31 Mar 2012 at 10:36am
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:49am
Okay the ones I have been looking at on ebay are these :

yep see what you mean re. 0.5 watt but having spoken to the seller regards the brightness off these during daylight hours he assured me they were very bright and if not happy a full refund could be had. excellent feedback they have to for this type off thing, to be honest the other sometimes a lot cheaper three led type seen on ebay dont look as if they would be off any use during daylight hours.

I see these ones in my link are 88mm wide, wont have time today as just heading out but will need to check to see if the opening on the QQ will accept this width ?? in the meantime if you get a chance to measure them yourself then please do advise.

again thou I honestly think this could well be a nice set up and again would not look out off place .    
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 10:57am
Just run down with my trusty rule and they look like 65mm. 
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 11:23am
Okay cheers for that, argh - so looks like these particular ones wont fit then ??!! back to the drawing board !!
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:08am
Thanks for the pic BlackHawk Thumbs Up
Look good from a distance and to the side - reckon they do the job very well.....

Allan/Jon, where are we on the others - replacing fogs is out.
I like the idea of the ones on Amazon. BUt those ebay obes look amazingly bright and thin... shame they're not shorter though as 60cms is too long.
I'm sure I saw (somewhere) some LED strips that can be cut to size?? Going to have to look through my history if I can remember which PC I was on.
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:26am
I haven't heard anything from RING yet.

At the moment these are looking the best alternative, along with the little control box of tricks.

I had a look this morning an with the bonnet open the wire will easily slide down the inside edge of the headlight/grill which makes for easy installation immediately below the the lens.
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:22pm

gadget : the eBay strips that I linked to earlier can be cut to size,there are cutting lines along the strip.
still looking at replacing the fog lamps,found some drl lamps at around 70mm across,going to have a look exactly what size we have to play with within the opening,may even make the cut out slightly bigger if required.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:04pm
Must have missed that in all that spiel they have on their Jon - so much to read!!
Just found it!!
I like the fact they have a returns policy too.... almost worth ordering to see how bright they are and where'd they fit best!!

Have to look at wiring though as they just seem to connect to the sidelights and come on when sidelights are on which is not what we want... but I guess they could be used with Allans box of tricks from Amazon??!!
Think I may email the Amazon seller to get a bit more info on size etc...
Thumbs Up
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 3:21pm
Okay just to repeat that I have these ebay strip lights here with me know and having wired them up to a 12v supply indoors can confirm they are indeed very,very bright !!
a switching unit could be bought via ebay for around £10 to turn them on / off automatically

couple off things :

1/ As far as I can see the lights being sold on amazon are face on led type, if you want to mount them under the glass you will require the ebay ones as they shine 100 times brighter when viewed side on ie if they were layed flat. the amazon ones would not be seen if mounted under the headlamp glass.

2/ again the amazon ones are only 30cm in length, the headlamp glass is 33cm in length hence if you want to have the strip the full length off the glass you will require the longer strips suitably cut. 
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:03pm
Nice one Jono - didn't realise you had actually purchased them as well!!!

I get your point on the fitting now too - in short, the Amazon design ones if fitted to shinne out would be easily seen, whereas the ones you have there, being 2mm? thinck will slide under the headlamp glass between it and the bodywork.

Be nice to see a knock up from you which I assume you'll be doing before actually fixing them in place??

jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:18pm
Yep no probs mate you have it now as I say the ebay ones are designed to emitt the light from the sides off the smd ( led ) as opposed to on top which as I say would be what we require if fitting them in place
under the headlamps.

purchased these ones a few weeks ago and may well just go ahead and fit them as opposed to going for the fog lamp style, still undecided ??!! really do like the fog lamp / drl idea think they would look really good but then no doubt the led strips may look good as well  !!

gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 4:45pm
I think you're right that the foglight area would look pretty smart - but then me, I would want to keep my fogs - and another question is, are the bottom of the fogs 250mm off the ground??

And as we (You, Allan and myself - and anyone else) are trying to fit them to older models where we don't have the right space in the bumper, we are limited on options and to have something as slim as this round the light, as long as it's not too noticeable then I reckon they could be the answer. Big smile
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 5:29pm
41cm / 410mm from ground to bottom off the glass on the oe fog lamp - so we are okay there !!

maybe get a chance to have a look tomorrow as again want to see exactly what space we have available bfor an alternative round drl light within the fog lamp space but if allan is saying he measured 65mm then guess the commonly available 70mm ones would fit nicely with just a bit off modding.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 7:04pm
Oooo modding.... Ermm
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:00pm
Put the hacksaw on hold just now !!

could well be the very ones required, yep not cheap with 1 watt output for each led and a few nice extras such as auto on / dimming etc then personally feel a quality car deserves qaulity aftermarket extras !!!

gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:55pm
Yep - they certainly look good.... still a tad concerned some modding "may" be needed - and if I can help it, not lose my fogs.... but, you never know... minds can be changed. Big smile
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 10:19pm
I've had a reply from RING and they have confirmed that 400mm is the maximum distance from the edge of the vehicle to the first LED.

The videos on their website showing our model will be removed.

The current model with the 'swept' design to the lower bumper grill area does conform providing they are fitted in the top corner positions as shown in the pictures in this thread (more recent models will, of course, already have DRLs factory fitted).

Our models will need surface fittings.

The Ring 'Aurora' is available with adhesive strips but it is quite large as each light is 56mm x 150mm. The depth is shown as 60mm but that (I think) will include the bracket. 

They will be far too large for surface mounting.

The adhesive 'strip' type from amazon or ebay definitely seem the best option for our earlier models, coupled with the controller from amazon I mentioned previously.

These are still my favourite as mentioned by jono400: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230464948829?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1054wt_1163  as they can be stuck to the underside of the headlight lens itself or to the painted lip (2mm might just fit in there).

Edited by allan40alt - 04 Apr 2012 at 10:55pm
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 11:51pm
I agree, for simplicitys sake, the ones Jono found on eBay seem to be the right thing....
Hopefully he'll offer them in place and see what he thinks... not so much the light (although thats important) but more how they look in situe.

jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 8:20am
Okay guys sorry been kinda busy the last few days to offer any updates etc, okay still not decided exactly what I am going to fit to my own car regards  DRL`s, but what I will do is make a mock up off the smd strips on my own car ie. lay them in place and wire them up to the battery just to let you see what they look like during daylight hours, say daylight as certainly in my case having just fitted a 55 watt HID kit the little led strip lights would be lost within the new light output off the headlamp at night !!

so will get that done asap and upload photos - thats not a problem.

just to throw another idea into the pot !!!

Now not too sure just how good these type off bulbs would be during daylight hours ie. strong enough to give the DRL effect, have no doubt the light will be a pure white light but again just not too sure how they would compare to anything else ??   but again top quality stuff from a top seller, could well be another idea ??

views ??!!

p.s Anyone just confirm that it is indeed H11 type bulbs the pre-facelift qashqai uses within the front fog lamps ??

Edited by jono400 - 05 Apr 2012 at 8:21am
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 9:22am
Now they look good. 

Fiddly to fit though as we'll be lying on our backs under the car! 

Fitting position is spot-on. 

Autobulbsdirect website shows it as a H8* but my handbook says H11. 

Simplest way seems to be the ebay with the side emitting LEDs as I've just checked and there is approx a 4mm gap under my headlight so they will sit nicely in there. I note they can be shortened as well.

This shows how they fit to the underneath leading edge of the headlight.  I like that:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrjELmNnjzE&feature=related

Quite a good result. 

PS: In actual fact I think these 'strip' type of adhesive LEDs should be referred to as 'Styling Lights' rather than 'Daytime Running Lights', although they will give a similar effect.

*NB: I have emailed them to advise as I think the handbook will be more accurate!

Edited by allan40alt - 05 Apr 2012 at 10:31am
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 10:54am
Ooooo tempting - that Fog to DRL looks a good bit of kit - but I'd lose my fogs Cry
The fogs are hard enough to get too as it is aren't they?? And the uninitiated would complain you have your fogs on as well!!!

I'm with you Allan, simplicity is sooo nice!!
Lets see what Jono knocks up with his eBay purchase... the video makes it look simple enough (and proobably easier with the gizmo from Amazon as well.
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by gadget gadget wrote:

Ooooo tempting - that Fog to DRL looks a good bit of kit - but I'd lose my fogs Cry
The fogs are hard enough to get too as it is aren't they?? And the uninitiated would complain you have your fogs on as well!!!

I'm with you Allan, simplicity is sooo nice!!
Lets see what Jono knocks up with his eBay purchase... the video makes it look simple enough (and proobably easier with the gizmo from Amazon as well.
Okay just a quick reply for now-

1/ Dont think you would have any problems with regards the uninitiated complaing that you had your fog lights on as the are for daylight puposes and would only be on when your side lights / headlights were turned off.

2/ regards loosing your fog lights - yep but in all honesty how many times a year do you use them ?? one maybe twice ??!!

3/ As far as I can see its just a small plastic access panel that you remove from under the cars engine bay ( very easily got to from laying under the front off the car )where you can get to the fog lights should you ever need to change a bulb or so.
jono400 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 1:41pm
Okay very quick set up off these smd strips, looks good but although bright enough to be seen  with daytime use there are in no way going to compare with dedicated drl lamps with there 1 watt leds which would be seen from some distance away, to be honest would say there are more off a styling strip although for some they may well suit for drl lights.

Edited by jono400 - 05 Apr 2012 at 1:42pm
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 2:30pm
Well knocked up Jon.... and they are very discrete.... Thumbs Up
but as you say (and can see) very minimalist on the actual light output. Think you're right, more of a styling than a DRL.

Looks like one option left then.... until you find another to throw in the mix LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic