UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Know How..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

How to fit DRL's (Daylight Running Lights)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by gadget gadget wrote:

Very nice..... 

Go on gadget get them ordered and fitted.  LOL

You know you want to.... if you get the Philips LED4 I'll help you fit them if you fancy a drive up to Rugby...Wink

PS: Where's the photos of the tail/stop LEDs?

PPS:...ah; just seen your other post.  Shame about them sending the wrong ones. 

Edited by allan40alt - 28 Sep 2012 at 4:20pm
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 4:30pm
You're not kidding....  I DO want them - just got to persuade her ladyship that she does too!!LOL
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Tony C Tony C wrote:

Currently available for £24.99 + £4.99 P&P on fleabay (a lot cheaper than Halfrauds!)

The ones on ebay aren't the same as these, I have done extensive research believe me. There's 2 different types they sell, LED Daytime Styling Lights or LED Daytime Running Lights. Mine are the Ursa which are the Running Lights.

Originally posted by dctyke dctyke wrote:

I connected the side light wire inside the fuse box as reccomended, fitting a rubber grommit in the hole I drilled (see white circle). 

That's similar to how I did mine but I went into the compartment in front of the fuse box then through from there so no need for the grommet as the hole is undercover.

They are the lights I was originally going to get, they're bigger than they look on the website.

Edited by andspenka - 28 Sep 2012 at 7:58pm
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
dctyke View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dctyke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 8:27pm
They are quite big, no room for fingers and the light when fitting into the space in the grill.  Took about 10 attempts with the bolt heads held by blue tack on the end of a screwdiverSmile
2012 +2 ntec+ gunmetal grey
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 9:08pm
Good point andspenka;  Daytime Styling Lights are just not bright enough to be much use as Daytime Running Lights.  They are just not powerful enough (according to the adviser I spoke to at Ring Automotive) and that is why they do not come with the automatic switching module included in the box.

He went on to say that if you do use Styling Lights as Running Lights then they will still be subject to the DRL regulations and you would have to buy an automatic switch unit or install a manual switch.

PS:  I would still recommend the Philips LED Daylight 4 as you just fit the small bracket and the LED unit just slides in and 'snaps' into position;  but it is more expensive so you  'pays your money and takes your choice'.  Wink

Edited by allan40alt - 28 Sep 2012 at 9:28pm
TrOjAn View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrOjAn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 12:28pm
Yes Im a cheap skate :P I went for these at 25 quid with the relay...DRL`s

The only issue I had was the positive connection, when wired to the battery as advised the lights stayed on for hours before auto off happened, I cured it by wiring into a switched live.

Im happy and at that price who wouldnt be :)

Terry
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 1:39pm
Ah, that's interesting.

Which switched live did you use and where?  In the fuse box?...or relay box?

You can't say these things without full chapter and verse (together with photos).

LOL
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 3:54pm
I saw a real live Qashqai today with DRL's fitted....
Someone round here has them - but they're obviously not on here.....
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
TrOjAn View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrOjAn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 4:22pm
I found a wire in the fusebox that went live when ignition on.. I did hook it up to the battery but as the battery on the QQ is so good they stayed on for hours before the voltage dropped enough to turn them off.

Ill grab a photo later ;)

TrOjAn
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2012 at 4:36pm
Ah, great.  I'll shift mine also if I can get to it.

Mine go off immediately but if I have the battery on charge they come on automatically.  I've been taking the in-line fuse out on the positive lead but it would be better to connect to an 'ignition on' wire.  It's very tight in the fuse box to fiddle around.
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2012 at 11:06pm
I have just ordered a set of the Phillips ones due to a small issue with my Ring ones!

Hopefully they will arrive quickly Big smile
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 7:28am
What was the problem you mention?

You'll be well pleased with the Philips  DRLs. Big smile
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2012 at 5:21pm
Condensation mate Angry

I emailed Ring and they said I would have to send them back for them to investigate but they haven't got any stock of them so it could be over a month Shocked

I'm just going to take them back to Halfords (email in hand!) and get my money back.

Not good, as you can see.

It's not actually as bad as that now since taking them from the car.
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:25pm
Well here we go with Mk2 LOL

Everything Al has said about them is true, they're excellent quality and super bright.

You can see how sunny it is!

And some pics of where I went through the fuse box and made the connections for sidelights and ignition live.

I had to cut the in-line fuse off to get it through the small hole then crimped it back on.

The Yellow points to the wires from the control box and the Red are the colours inside the fuse box.

Edited by andspenka - 14 Oct 2012 at 9:43am
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 8:34pm
Nice result and thank's for the excellent connection pictures. Thumbs Up

Al.

PS:  I can almost hear the lock on gadget's wallet opening.  He can't hold out for much longer. LOL

Edited by allan40alt - 13 Oct 2012 at 8:50pm
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 1:29pm
I have just re-connected mine in a similar way as shown above.

Unfortunately I didn't have any spare connection available (see the white plate in the fuse box picture) so I had to use a 'scotchlok' . 

In the connection point I intended to use I already have a plain blue coloured wire which I think is for my front parking sensors. This is the wire I used for the connection.

I also connected the 'earth' with a scotchlok to the smaller of the plain black wires (shown to the left of andyspenka's bottom photo.

As I have already connected the sidelight wire near the bulb holder, I decided to leave that in-situ.

I did, of course. pack a little Vaseline in the new scotchloks, as I did previously with the sidelight connection.

All is working well and I can now charge my battery without the DRLs switching on as the voltage gets to 13.5V .

Incidentally, I didn't drill a hole for the cable.  Instead I used a Stanley knife to carefully make two little slits from the top of the side edge about 4mm apart and down just below where the top rim fits (approx 7mm long). The little piece just breaks away leaving a snug fit for the module cable and I then didn't have to snip the cable to get the fuse holder inside the fuebox. 

Edited by allan40alt - 16 Oct 2012 at 1:32pm
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 1:46pm
you pair of teasers...... 
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2012 at 2:21pm
Thought I'd better take a couple of photo's before I get any complaints: LOL

This one shows the slot for the control module cable entry:

This one shows the black (earth) connection and the live connection:

PS: Sorry it's a little blurred. My phone moved as I took this and I've put everything back together now, but I think you can see how it turned out.

NB: I used the red scotchlok on the earth as the wires are smaller.  The live wires are larger so I used a blue scotchlok.  After taking the photo I also wrapped a little insulation tape around them pulling it slightly to give a gentle 'pressure' seal. Black tape for the earth and red for the live of course. Wink

Edited by allan40alt - 16 Oct 2012 at 2:35pm
Gen13 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gen13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 5:49pm
Oooh like the look of these, so Ive found my next mod to do cheap as well for £16
Originally posted by Dode Dode wrote:

These look pretty good on the QQ.

I fitted them with a relay so the turn off when the side lights come on.

Edited by Gen13 - 29 Apr 2013 at 5:49pm
QQ1 2013 360, 1.6 Petrol Start/Stop 2WD, Gun Metallic

QQ2 2016 1.2 DIG-T 115 Tekna 5dr
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 6:09pm
Although I don't my Qq anymore, I fitted the above drls as gen 13 on my now gone Santa Fe...
Switched on with ignition and off when lights turned on...
Very easy to fit....took all of 1 hour in total from start to finish...
Got drls off eBay...think it was 20 or 30 quid total
Proud to be back in a Qashqai
J11 blade silver tekna with some added bling
Gen13 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gen13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 8:40pm
Ok I'm half way through my DRL mod. Just finished mounting them.

Too dark to start on the relay now. Will have to print Slabgood photo guide for tomorrow and hopefully fingers crossed I may have some DRL to take photos of.

Edited by Gen13 - 01 May 2013 at 8:44pm

Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 8:45pm
looking good so far bud Thumbs Up , thats as far as i got when i fitted them to my first qq , never did get round to wiring them up Embarrassed
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Mart1965 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mart1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 10:03pm
Hi gen13, really like the look of your drl`s I dont see a link for them could you put one up please.Smile
Just got to convince the wife that they are really essential.Wink 

2012 1.5dci NTEC+ cafe-latte, Blinged up, club sticker, brake-light sticker, Flip-keyfob,Bonnet guard, Blue LEDS
Gen13 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gen13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:32am

chengi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chengi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:21pm
I want some too..........Wink
Gen13 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gen13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 7:06pm
Finally all done! With much messing around with scotchloks I didn't have much joy with the first scotchlok so had to rip it out and use another. I wish the lights were as bright as the Merc's or Andspenka's (suppose you get what you pay for! my lights less than a £10 ) that are running around and how comes they don't switch off when their mains lights are on?

I must say a big thank you to Slabgood guide and Andspenka very clear close up photo of the fusebox with the red/white stripe for sidelights and red/black stripe for ignition live.

Edited by Gen13 - 03 May 2013 at 7:09pm

andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:11am
Yes the Phillips ones are bright but like you say 6 times the price. 

What put me off the cheaper ones was the number of cars I have seen driving around our area with either only 1 working or 1 really dim and the other much brighter.

I'm sure there was someone on here that bought the same ones as yours and had 1 of the LED's stop working almost immediately.

No probs on the pics, that's what forums are all about Big smile
AcesDvds View Drop Down
Approved
Approved

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcesDvds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 5:14pm
Fitted these DRL's for a QQ owner along with Dvd Headrests and the Auto Open/Close Mirror Kit

Garethr21 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garethr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 9:46pm
I trying to decide which L Style DRLs to fit, and also would prefer to use tape to fix them.  I've seen 3 on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300836775271
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370821628043
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350754201509

Can anyone provide any advice on how well these lights or similar style lights have lasted once fitted and if they have had any issues with them.

Also if anyone has used tape to fix the to the bumper, what have you used and how long has it lasted, If I'm completely happy with them I'll may use something more permanent if needed.

Thanks

Gareth

Edited by Garethr21 - 28 May 2013 at 9:47pm
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:15pm
I doubt that these lights conform**  and will probably be poor quality. You will also need to pay out extra for a switching/control module.

I also doubt that they will be anywhere close to the brightness of the Philips.

Driving into rain could mean they will fill with water.

Pay a bit more and go for the Philips DRLs mentioned previously in this thread which come complete with the control module.

Wink

** Is the product legal to use?
Philips Daylight 4 is fully road legal in the EU and compliant with ECE R37

PS: Here's a fresh link to the seller I purchased mine from:

Excellent delivery and all in OEM packaging.

Good luck.

Al.

Edited by allan40alt - 28 May 2013 at 10:31pm
Gen13 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gen13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:34pm
Gareth the last 2 that you list are both the same.

And are the same as the ones that I have in the pic posted above.

You will need to drill into the vertical flaps which can be push in and taken out as they clip on. Which is what I did and drilled them away from the car.

For the moment I haven't had any trouble with them in the rain they work. I think the only downside to these LED are that they aren't as bright as most fitted DRLs that you see on the street, Merc's Audi's
If you want it to very bright then go with the Philips.

But then old Chinese proverb "you get what you pay for".
So for £12 you will probably be the only person in your neighbourhood with DRL on your QQ as OEM ones are about £370...

Gen13

Garethr21 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garethr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 10:40pm
Understand where your coming from and happy to pay the extra for a legal set and decent manufacturer, but prefer the L shape style with similar layout to genuine ones Nissan make, shame the have it in their heads that £400+ is an acceptable price to charge...Censored!

Gen13 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gen13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 11:06pm
Gareth the DRLs had this in the ebay description

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS SHOULD BE VISIBLE DURING THE DAY WHEN THE VEHICLE IS MOVING AND THEN OFF AT NIGHT WHEN HEADLIGHTS ARE USED.TO THIS END WE RECOMMEND THAT THEY ARE WIRED THROUGH,AND CONTROLLED BY A SWITCH.WITH 6 HIGH INTENSITY LEDS IN EACH LIGHT AND AT 6000K EACH SIDE THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM BEING SEEN BY PEDESTRIANS AND ONCOMING TRAFFIC.BEING E-MARKED THEY ARE ROAD LEGAL. THESE LIGHTS ARE WELL WITHIN THE ‘K’ RATING FOR LIGHTS THAT ARE ALLOWED TO BE USED ON THE ROAD.

Now whether they are fake/real markings I wouldn't know. I don't think they have any left on sale but here is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121102085811?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2013 at 8:58am
AcesDvds View Drop Down
Approved
Approved

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcesDvds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 8:23pm
Fitted these DRL's for a QQ owner along with Dvd Headrests and the Auto Open/Close Mirror Kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic