UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Ignition Key Difficult to remove from ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayhertford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition Key Difficult to remove from ignition
    Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 11:52am
Hi All 

I've got a problem with removing the ignition key from the steering wheel ignition barrel.

I've used the two original keys supplied with the car. I insert the keys and they go in fine and turn to start the car normally. 

However, when I try to remove the key, there is very high resistance and I struggle to remove the key without wiggling the key.  I've tried using both keys and the key blades are being scored and scratched. It looks like something inside the barrel lock is preventing the key from being removed. I've tried squirting some 3in1 into the barrel and a small amount of grease, but it hasn't made any difference.

It seems to be getting worse.

Anyone got any ideas? Anyone know how much it might cost to get a new barrel lock made?

It's a 58 plate QQ so I doubt anything would be covered under any manufacturers warranty.

Thanks in advance  
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 6:09pm
Change the barrel ASAP before it fails completely.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 11:21pm
As above, the dealer will be able to order a barrel to match existing keys. Had the same problem on a Vauxhall some years ago
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
rayhertford View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayhertford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2015 at 8:58am
Thanks for the above comments.

Anybody know how much this might cost? If I bought the part is it something I could do myself?

Thanks

Ray
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 10:03am
I'm having the same problem and wondering if the barrel can be bought seperate?  or if I buy a used one from ebay as part of a steering column can I just take the chip out of my old key and put it in the new one....will that enable the car to start? 
2008 1.5 acenta..black..alphamirror..chrome fogs, handles, tailgate handle, grille,low profile wind deflectors, fitted sunshades, TTI 881 CB 68CT006 UK&EU
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayhertford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 10:36am
Hi There

In the end I did this myself. 

I bought the complete lock mechanism from a car in the breakers yard for £80 unfortunately, it had no keys with it. I also obtained the drivers side door lock from the same car in the breakers. 

I got a car locksmith to make a new key from the door lock, from that key he was able to make a key for the ignition barrel using match Nissan blanks (the door lock has 6 pins the ignition barrel has 8 or something).

I then removed the old ignition lock assembly from my car and fitted the donor unit. You have to swap over all the electronic cables and connections and the fob reader sensors, all very easy.

On the keys there is a small philips screw, you undo the screw and the remote fobs come off the old shaft. The newly cut matching Nissan (from blanks) keys also have the screw hole in them, simply fit the old fobs onto the new blanks and you have new keys.

I also changed over the door lock in the drivers door so that the ignition keys will also undo the car door if you need emergency access (battery failure etc).

It cost me a total of £120 including the costs to get the keys cut.

The dealer quoted me £480 + VAT for the replacement ignition lock assembly and £25 for a new matching key, £50 + VAT for two. To replace and match the door lock would be extra, I didn't bother getting a quote for that! :(

I've seen lock assemblies on eBay with keys for £100 -£200 and brand new ones with keys for about £250. 

If I were you I'd go to a breakers and see if they have any, ideally with keys. Also, make sure you get the drivers door lock as well.

BTW, it's much harder to fit the door lock that the ignition assembly. Much more difficult :)  
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayhertford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 11:08am
This sort of thing, no door lock though although the seller may have it I guess.  It does have a key which is a massive plus.

90% of whats for sale here gets thrown away. You just need the steering ignition key and lock assembly which is held in with two security screws. Undo them by tapping the screws around with a centre punch or similar.

I've highlighted in the red oval, the only part of this assembly you need (plus the key of course).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Nissan-Qashqai-07-13-1-5-DCi-Electric-Steering-Column-Ignition-Barrel-/181571541211?hash=item2a4681d8db:m:meE7-SIb5K7MpxOvDla_hG

Edited by rayhertford - 19 Oct 2015 at 11:13am
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 3:26pm
That's exactly what I though...just hoped somebody else had done it and it worked 😊

Just changed today easy enough....I just replaced the shear bolts on the barrel with normal bolts...surprisingly the old shear bolts loosened first whack with a hammer and centre punch...

Thanks for the advice rayhertford ☺
2008 1.5 acenta..black..alphamirror..chrome fogs, handles, tailgate handle, grille,low profile wind deflectors, fitted sunshades, TTI 881 CB 68CT006 UK&EU
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 3:30pm
Oooh,  btw...I paid £70 for barrel and 1 key from local scrapy...got a blank key (OEM) from ebay for £4...key cut £7...switched my key chip into the key and worked a treat....

I also switched the transponder rings on the two barrels...as I didn't know if it was a generic reader,  or specific to my transponder code....
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 3:36pm
Well done you
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 4:25pm
Well...I'd rather fix it myself than be ripped off by Nissan lol LOL
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayhertford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 4:38pm
Hi Ian

Glad to be of help. 

Yes, I was hoping somebody had done one when I posted my original query. Sadly, nobody responded. :( 

You got very lucky getting a barrel & lock assembly with a key for £70, that saves a massive amount of time and money. Yes, the security shear bolts tap out easily with a centre punch. I just cut a slot into the tops of them to create a slotted bolt when I refitted the unit.

What about the door lock? Did you change that? So that you only need one key to manually open the drivers door and fit the ignition? 

That's a bugger of a job! :)

Ray
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayhertford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 4:40pm
BTW, this seems to be a common fault on Qashqai's  even my new keys in my new barrel lock are showing signs of brass wear on the new key shafts!  :(
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayhertford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 4:40pm
Great minds and all that!

Originally posted by ian_clyde ian_clyde wrote:

Well...I'd rather fix it myself than be ripped off by Nissan lol LOL
Rescue51 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rescue51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2016 at 11:16am
Hello

I'm new on here and an Auto Locksmith. The problem is related to the steering lock piece that picks up a burr. It seems to only happen on certain cars. We have seen a range of Qashqais, all the same year and some suffer from it and some don't. Maybe it's related to the supplier if the internal part. 

Without trying to do a sales pitch, we can cure this by post. if anyone needs any further help, just ley us know.Wink
Making Car keys Easy
Rescue51 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rescue51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 8:57am
Hello
We have made a video on how to remove the ignition easily, in case you have the sticky key problem

here is the link

https://youtu.be/5oWwz9oPBc8

Hope it helps
Making Car keys Easy
Dibdob View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dibdob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:46pm
Hi
My barrel seems to have picked up this burr as the key inserts fine into the ignition barrel but is catching on removal and this is getting worse. I could hardly get the key out today. Is there anything you can suggest to help please?
Thanks
Dibdob View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dibdob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 9:49pm
Sorry I meant to add that I cannot open the link you posted.
Rescue51 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rescue51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2016 at 8:50am
Hi

Sorry we changed the format of the website so the links don't work
Here is a blog post we have written about it

http://thecarkeyman.co.uk/help-my-nissan-key-is-stuck/

Or call us on 01522 514141

The price is now £165. 

Take care, Steve
Making Car keys Easy
croc View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote croc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:18pm
I fixed this myself with a needle file.

Basically there's a little spring loaded component in the barrel which wears and goes sharp at the very front of where the key is inserted.

With a needle file and some patience I managed to file down the barb inside.

The file will stick on the "barb". So you need to take your time and every now and then pull the file out when it sticks.

Took about 10minutes start to finish.

Done this around 3 weeks ago and its been totally fine since.

Hope this helps some one who had the same problem as I did.
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 3:51pm
A small dose of Graphite powder ought to have done the trick, too ...
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
mattymccormick View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattymccormick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:04pm
This looks promising. I can still get the key out (with a lot of work, but it does come out). Before trying the needle file, I just wanted to check... is the "barb" the piece of metal that seems to be hanging down in the ignition?

How far down did you file it? By filing it, it won't affect the actual ignition itself would it?

Thanks for your help with this. Don't really want to use the car much at the minute just incase the key does get stuck.

Thanks 
Maniero9 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maniero9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 1:02pm

Hello from me guys!

I read that someone has managed to solve the problem by filing down an uneven at the front of the barrel. Is that part the one in the yellow circle in the image below???

https://.ibb.co/bMmKrU/qashqai_colored.jpg

Can someone post an image of his repaired barrel to compare???

I attach the unedited image if someone wants to make a better drawing to help us understand what to do to solve the problem.

https://.ibb.co/dHH3J9/qashqai_noncolored.jpg

Waiting for your replies!!!

Maniero9 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maniero9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2018 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Maniero9 Maniero9 wrote:

Hello from me guys!

I read that someone has managed to solve the problem by filing down an uneven at the front of the barrel. Is that part the one in the yellow circle in the image below???

https://image.ibb.co/bMmKrU/qashqai_colored.jpg

Can someone post an image of his repaired barrel to compare???

I attach the unedited image if someone wants to make a better drawing to help us understand what to do to solve the problem.

https://image.ibb.co/dHH3J9/qashqai_noncolored.jpg

Waiting for your replies!!!

Working links
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic