Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Bright Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Illuminated cup holders-DIY

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illuminated cup holders-DIY
    Posted: 20áSepá2016 at 4:04am

Total cost: About $2.00
Time to complete: About 2 hours

All materials from ebay, free delivery.

2 pre-wired orange leds 5mm dia - 2 dollars for ten with 12v resistor pre fitted.
acrylic 5mm thick sheet - 3 dollars
black textured adhesive vinyl - less than 1 dollar
small automotive plug/socket - 1 dollar
heat shrink tube or insulating tape
double sided tape

Tools:
Small fret saw
Small file
5mm Drill
Compass (Circle drawing kind, not directional variety)

No soldering.
Convenient unused connection point a few mm away supplied by Nissan

Completely useless but looks cool and keeps you out of her way for a couple of hours.

If there's any interest I'll do a step by step guide.

*** These are NOT my idea as there is a company in the US that makes them but not to suit the Qashqai.
They are also about 25 times more expensive than diy.
They also use smd leds which (IMHO) are way too bright and difficult to replace if one fails.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áSepá2016 at 9:57am
Clap

Cool

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áSepá2016 at 12:07pm
:)
Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áSepá2016 at 12:51pm
Nice :) Could you please take a detailed photo of acrylic tape and LED connected to it? 
Thank you in advance!
Allan_P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áSepá2016 at 1:19am
The led is simply pushed up into a 5mm dia hole in the bottom of the cup holder into the hole in the 5mm thick acrylic disc. I will try to post a pdf that shows how I made it. If you still need pictures I will have to pull it all apart

cup_holder_illumination_guide.pdf

Regards, Allan.P
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áSepá2016 at 8:16am
Hi Allan,
thank you very much! I can see how it's made now. Could you please take one more close photo of it fitted in place in day and dark when it lightens?
Cheers,
Dan
Allan_P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áSepá2016 at 8:23am
Hi Dan,
The first pic was in daylight. In a couple of hours it will be dark here and I'll take a night pic with a better camera.
Cheers
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áSepá2016 at 9:02am
Hi Allan,
Please make it more close so that I can see how it fits in there. Many thanks for your time. Cheers
Allan_P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áSepá2016 at 11:40am
Best I can do I'm afraid.

Regards,
Allan.P.
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áSepá2016 at 11:45am
Thank you Allan, it looks excellent! I wanted to do it a bit differently but I like your idea more than mine :)
When you put bottle of water inside the holder, does it nicely illuminate the water inside the bottle?
Allan_P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áSepá2016 at 1:15pm
I have no idea but will try a water bottle in there and let you know.
You can vary the amount of light by reducing the size of the black vinyl discs. The smaller they are, the more light. Might pay to experiment a bit.
I made several cardboard versions before I made the finished product.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic