UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

In the dark about failed rear camera

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In the dark about failed rear camera
    Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 7:51pm
Literally: when reversing, the screen is pretty much greyed out, but what little there is that can be identified is -- weirdly -- what seems to be a section of the boot's interior. because of the lack of illumination, it's pretty much impossible to tell what the camera is looking at. if indeed it's looking at anything at all.

We're still very happy with our QQ after four and a half years of ownership from new. We were lucky enough not to have been lumbered with a faulty engine, like so many others were, and have had no mechanical or e;electrics problems at all.

Until now. The QQ is like so many modern cars an absolute pig when it comes to rear visibility: thank Gawd for the rear proximity sensors fitted as standard (on our model at least.) Even so, without a functioning rear camera, also fitted as standard, maneuvering the QQ into a vacant slot in a typical overcrowded car park is no fun at all.

Mrs F first noticed the failed camera problem on Saturday. We backed the car out of our garage again this morning, hoping everything would be OK. It wasn't.  Our QQ was bought from Lookers Nissan/Renault, Carlisle who service it annually. We've also purchased the (expensive) Nissan Extnded warranty, to cover eventualities like this one.

I'm hoping this is not a major problem nor difficult to fix: a Google search threw up some results on another forum referring to impossible-to-see camera output where the problem was reporte to have been something called a failed reverse light switch, a green plug allegedly accessible from the underside of the vehicle's gearbox. As the posts about that topic were dated late 2010, and as my QQ is July, 2015, it's unlikely they're of any relevance.

I phoned Lookers Carlisle this morning to explain that we're facing real difficulties with the QQ because of the camera malfunction. Lookers has rushed to the rescue (not) by asking me to book the vehicle in the week after next, Thursday, January 23rd, when they will see what they can do to fix the problem.

Whilst awaiting this anything but quick attention from the supplying dealer, I wondered if anyone on here had experienced a similar rear camera problem? And was it the camera, or, um, some kind of light switch?

Thanks. Smile

Qashqai Ascenta Premium 1.2 automatic 23/7/2015
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic