UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

intelligent key failure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: intelligent key failure
    Posted: 10áDecá2010 at 11:40am
My wife returned to the car yesterday to find that none of the door buttons worked so she was locked out. She called me and I asked if she had tried the buttons on the key itself. They did work so she was able to get in and start the engine in the usual way. Since then, everything is back to normal. However, it is a bit worrying. I have also noticed that, sometimes, as i get into the driver's seat, there is a bleep and the yellow triangle on the instrument panel lights up momentarily. I've also mentioned elsewhere that the wipers sometimes give a single wipe in bone dry conditions and that the temperature gauge is always 3 deg C too high.
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áDecá2010 at 11:44am
yellow triangle is normal its just the car running its checks

the single wipe so ive been told is letting you know you have the wipers set to auto

are you sure your wife had the keys in range they need to be within about 12 inches of the handle you are trying also phones ect close to the keys can interfere with the signal
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áDecá2010 at 12:27pm
Craig, the bleep and the flash of the triangle are unusual because this is even before turning on the ignition. Yes, my wife definitely had the keys in her handbag as usual and she did go to each of the doors with her handbag held close to the door. Phone interference is possible but she did take the keys out of her bag and the buttons still did not respond.
Interesting to hear that the occasional wipe is deliberate. I am anyway keeping the wipers in the off position while there is any risk of frost.

Edited by brianmf - 10áDecá2010 at 11:19pm
Licensed radio ham. Urban Silver QQ Executive 2.0l petrol, CVT, 4WD (Tekna + extras).
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2011 at 10:48pm
It's happening again! After a long period with no trouble, I got out of the car a few days ago and found it would not lock with the driver's door button not the boot nor the passenger door. No warning bleeps, just nothing. I locked it with the key fob and then the door buttons worked again.
Sounds like a trip to the dealership may be called for but the usual answer is that they can only find a fault while it exists. What a pain!
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2011 at 10:58pm
That's not good...they are always the worst problems to diagnose. It might be the pads themselves rather than deeper problem.

I am sure they are resistive pads...daft question, you weren't wearing gloves was ya lol.

Seriously though, if it's both sides then can they not just replace the pads - they are not coded as they are jsut a trigger..

Feel for you though...
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2011 at 11:04pm
sorry to hear that brian.

ask the dealer if changing the door handles or pads as hamish said would help
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2011 at 11:10pm
dealer needs to sort this brian its not on mate
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
QashQaiGuy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QashQaiGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2011 at 11:10pm
The pads have an actual button behind them rather than using 'touch'.
---
Marcus
QashQai+2 1.5DCi Tekna in Caffe Latte with Graphite Leather
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áJaná2011 at 11:42pm
See...all you people with your own QQ's already...

SO there must be a micro switch behind there then..I'd be asking for new switch/pads now.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 9:26am
Originally posted by hamish hamish wrote:

That's not good...they are always the worst problems to diagnose. It might be the pads themselves rather than deeper problem.

I am sure they are resistive pads...daft question, you weren't wearing gloves was ya lol.

Seriously though, if it's both sides then can they not just replace the pads - they are not coded as they are jsut a trigger..

Feel for you though...

I doubt that it would be the pads because it affected all at the same time. More likely that it's related to the IK receiver module. At least the fob works. 
In any case, it's got to be sorted by the dealer.
They are certainly microswitch pads so wearing gloves would make no difference.

Edited by brianmf - 19áJaná2011 at 9:31am
barneybeardsall View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneybeardsall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 9:52am
Had this on mine once, I managed to get into the car by tapping the key itself, then the door buttons worked again, got into the car to find the car wouldn't unlock the steering column, bashed the key again gently and all ok... 

I suspect that its either the battery not making contact properly or the internal key electronics are suspect, either way mention it to the dealer, but unless they've had the fault previous, they return the car stating no fault found.. 

Also FYI, I've had this feature on my last Merc, admittantly it was better implemented, but intermittantly the car would refuse to acknowledge I was trying to get in, gentle bash of the key and all was ok again..
2008 2.0D Tekna in Silver with Pioneer Navigation System, let the modifications begin.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 11:59am
Brian

I remember reading a while back of interference to remote devices caused by mobile transmitters, not the phones.

In a particular supermarket car park folk were having trouble and it was traced to a nearby mast.  Are your problems in a particular location?

Just a thought.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Brian

I remember reading a while back of interference to remote devices caused by mobile transmitters, not the phones.

In a particular supermarket car park folk were having trouble and it was traced to a nearby mast.  Are your problems in a particular location?

Just a thought.

It has only happened at home so far but it is a thought that I always have my mobile phone in my pocket and there is always the possibility of interference from that. Co-incidentally, last night when I was walking towards the car in a car park, I saw the four flashers operate and heard the doors open when I was about 10ft away from the car. I just thought the key fob button might have been pressed by something else in my pocket but again, it could have been mobile phone interference. If so, that will be even more difficult to resolve.
There are no mobile phone masts near either location.

Edited by brianmf - 19áJaná2011 at 12:19pm
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 12:48pm
How many keyfob things do you get. If you have a spare you need to try the spare next time it fails, If the spare also fails to work then the problem is on the car.
1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 1:19pm
i was just about to say that noki beat me eh.
i know certainly my key wont work in the same pocket as my iphone... was told this by our members so tested it.. and it cuts the signal range. had to basically put my pocket at the handle to work
so keep key in different pocket now.

i also was leaving work one night with key in pocket (not in same pocket as phone but a small pocket made for keys or phone in my chef trousers, and phone was in the pocket that this pocket is attached to) and my interior lights came on and car was unlocked... not sure if anything got pressed(and i didnt see my hazards flash but i was talking to my mate, who noticed the interior lights coming on... not me lol)
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 1:37pm
CraigQQ............if you have that problem again, try rubbing the seat of your trousers up against the lock.  However, this only works if you're wearing khaki trousers Embarrassed.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 1:39pm

dont have the problem now anyway.. that was the first day i got the car.
but i had read of the problems.

so i moved my key to jacket pocket and its been there since...

Edited by CraigQQ - 19áJaná2011 at 1:40pm
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by noki49 noki49 wrote:

How many keyfob things do you get. If you have a spare you need to try the spare next time it fails, If the spare also fails to work then the problem is on the car.

We have two key fobs and both my wife and I have had the problem of the door handle buttons not responding. Both key fob buttonss work correctly. It is only the IK function that seems to occasionally be unresponsive. On those occasions, all three door buttons are dead.
It would be too much of a coincidence that the IK side (?) of both key fobs would have the same problem so I remain convinced that it is the IK receiver that is either intermittent or is suffering interference. Even then, the interference idea seems unlikely because we always both carry our phones with us and separate from the key fobs.
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by brianmf brianmf wrote:

Brian

Just a thought.

It has only happened at home so far but it is a thought that I always have my mobile phone in my pocket and there is always the possibility of interference from that. Co-incidentally, last night when I was walking towards the car in a car park, I saw the four flashers operate and heard the doors open when I was about 10ft away from the car. I just thought the key fob button might have been pressed by something else in my pocket but again, it could have been mobile phone interference. If so, that will be even more difficult to resolve.

Can't help picturing a quartet of sexual deviants performing surgery on some unsuspecting victim! Sorry Embarrassed
2008 1.5dci Tekna in Cafe Latte with WHIPPET-CUSTOMISED chocolate leather and added Connect
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 2:03pm
Brilliant!
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Gemma Gemma wrote:

Brian

Just a thought.

Can't help picturing a quartet of sexual deviants performing surgery on some unsuspecting victim! Sorry Embarrassed

LOLLOLLOL emmm.....well spotted   LOLLOLLOL
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 2:13pm
well done gemma.

brian i think you may be right then mate.. if both keys are having the same problem it certainly sounds like a reciever problem mate.

contact your dealer mate
Veritas-18 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
TUKC President

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veritas-18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áJaná2011 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Gemma Gemma wrote:

Brian

Just a thought.

LmaoLOL LOLLOL...genius GemmaClap
QQ+2 Pearl Black 1.5dci Tekna Stone/L.mudflaps,wind deflectors,chrome mirrors, chrome rear finisher,entry guards,rear entry guard chrome rear grip cover, SAC,TUKC President,car due 1/12/10 now 1/3/11
mini_mad_paul View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini_mad_paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áJaná2011 at 2:09pm

For clarification the yellow triangle is warning you that it can't sense the key properly. It may just be a case of the battery going flat (within the fob).

This happened in my wife's micra C+C, changed the battery and all was fine.
2009 Cayman Blue Qashqai 1.5 Tekna Avg 41.1mpg - Born: 15/05/2009 - Died: 31/05/2012
2012 Ford CMax 2.0D Titanium Powershift Avg 37.7mpg - Born: 01/06/2012 - Died: 31/05/2015
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 12:14pm
There has been an interesting development - last night, I had a physiotherapy session and, as he was leaving, the physio said, "I hope I can get into my car this time because, on the last couple of visits to your house, the car key remote has refused to work and I had to use the key."
I hadn't even mentioned the problem I'd had with the QQ. He went on to say that his remote was still working correctly in other locations so he thought there must be some interference here.
Well, as an electronics/radio engineer, I have to admit that is something I had already considered but I have no idea what could be the source of the interference. There are no mobile phone masts nearby and it would have to be a fairly strong signal to disrupt the operation of a key locking system. Another possibility is radiation from the cable TV system.
This is going to be a toughy to sort out! Unfortunately, I don't have any test equipment for the 2.4GHz band so I may have to call in the radio interference specialists.

Edited by brianmf - 22áJaná2011 at 1:12pm
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 12:17pm

that is strange mate..

sounds like somethings stopping it... ask your neighbours if they have the problem?

maybe theres an iphone burried under your driveway
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 12:39pm
Brian. There was a very similar problem to yours in the Lake district in the uk. It has now been solved.
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 12:44pm

is there a restaurant near you brian? 

we used to use black smart phones when i was a waiter.. i you figured out the pin number to the phone you could exit the smart waiter program and use the internet ect..  if not you were stuck with the waiting program lol

good work mo
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 12:47pm
could someone nearby be running a pirate radio station ???
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 12:49pm
could it be brian himself lol,  his sig says "licensed radio ham" im sure he knows how
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 12:52pm
Wonder if it might also be one of the remote card readers that shops/restaurants etc have as they work on a signal too i think Ermm
Sounds like a rogue local signal.
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by mohawk mohawk wrote:

Brian. There was a very similar problem to yours in the Lake district in the uk. It has now been solved.

Remarkably similar but we don't have any commercial establishments in our neighbourhood. However, there are quite a lot of devices that work in the 2.4GHz band. Bluetooth hifi systems, cordless computer peripherals, etc., but they they are so low power that they shouldn't radiate more than 3-4m at the most. Our cable tv entry to the house runs under our driveway so that is high on my list of suspects.

Edited by brianmf - 22áJaná2011 at 1:11pm
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by craigfishin craigfishin wrote:

Doubtful! It's a very quiet residential neighbourhood with very few youngsters.
brianmf View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22áJaná2011 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by CraigQQ CraigQQ wrote:

could it be brian himself lol,  his sig says "licensed radio ham" im sure he knows how
No chance! My equipment is all off except when I'm specifically on the air.
Mcdig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcdig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23áJaná2011 at 9:34am

Originally posted by craigfishin craigfishin wrote:

Doubtful! It's a very quiet residential neighbourhood with very few youngsters.

Ever seen the film Pump up the volume with Christian Slater as a schoolboy running a pirate station out of his garage? Tongue
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100436/

Edited by craigfishin - 23áJaná2011 at 12:03pm
Waiting for Mineral Grey Tekna, ordered 18 April 2010, was due 29th June 2010, now due 15th Sept. Collected on 8th Sept 2010. Gone 1 Feb 2013.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic