Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > NONONO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Interior door handle lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interior door handle lights
    Posted: 30áJuná2013 at 8:30pm
Seeking for help please.

I'm planning on installing interior door handle lights but not sure where to get the power for them.
Now has anyone else been experimenting something like this? It's ok to light them up with ignition. I can live with that ;)
Lights on when dark would most likely need a connection from bcm and that I'm not prepared to do ;)

Any help appreciated thanks.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áJulá2013 at 2:02pm
Replying to myself. There's infact power coming to the window switch. If the connector is not on the switch then it drops down the voltage when measuring as there's virtually no resistance.

But the back doors are a problem. If the window lock switch is pressed then there's no power for the back door. I'm not sure if it bothers me as it would be a cool feature that the rear door handle lights go off when the child lock for the windows is enabled. Showing like this that the child lock on and kids won't find the rear handles so easily in the dark ;)
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áJulá2013 at 7:33pm
Ok. Lights are in place.

Looks good. Wintertime will tell if the lights need another resistor to dim them down a little bit. They're quite bright but not bright enough to distract you.

Cool feature actually is that the rear lights go off when the child lock is enabled :) That could've been circumvented but it would've required +12 ign voltage fed from somewhere to the rear doors. Not the most ideal solution.

Here are some pictures. Sorry about the cropping, pictures taken with IPhone 5 HDR setting on.

Passenger side front. 3mm diffused led used. Very wide light pattern.

Same place with little bit more light.

Passenger side. Lights on.

Drivers side. Notice how neatly the light pattern distributes.

Drivers side rear door. Quite neat little hole.

Edited by Downtime - 08áJulá2013 at 7:34pm
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áJulá2013 at 8:32pm
They look great, very professional Big smile

I think that's a mod I would quite fancy doing myself.

Did you just power them from the Window switch?

Where did you get the lights from?
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áJulá2013 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by andspenka andspenka wrote:

They look great, very professionaláBig smile

I think that's a mod I would quite fancy doing myself.

Did you just power them from the Window switch?

Where did you get the lights from?

Thanks ;)

Yes I used the window switch connectors for power. Grounding is done to one of the speaker bolts on all other than drivers door. Drirvers door has ground on child lock switch.

I ordered the leds from www.nadenex.fi. But you can buy them from any Radio shack alternative. Also you need the led holder (the black thing you see in the pictures). That will keep the leds in place.
Then what's needed are the normal resistors, wires etc.

I also bought tape that is used in ice hockey sticks. It's the black tape with a cloth like surface. Very neat and sticks very well. I used that on the back side of the leds to keep them seated nicely and this allows the leds to be changed if they burn out.

Edited by Downtime - 08áJulá2013 at 8:46pm
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áJulá2013 at 8:51pm
excellent job , looks great Thumbs Up
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Mart1965 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mart1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áJulá2013 at 10:01pm
Now that looks nice, Bloody scared of drilling any holes in me QQ though but a brave move Downtime well done Thumbs Up
2012 1.5dci NTEC+ cafe-latte, Blinged up, club sticker, brake-light sticker, Flip-keyfob,Bonnet guard, Blue LEDS
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áJulá2013 at 10:32pm
What size resistor did you use?
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
Allan_P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áJulá2013 at 1:16am
A nice tutorial would be nice for that one Downtime. It looks like it may be a popular mod
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áJulá2013 at 8:50am
that looks fantastic mate.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áJulá2013 at 9:15am
Originally posted by andspenka andspenka wrote:

What size resistor did you use?

560 ohms. But I would now take a bit bigger resistor for dimmer lights and to make the leds last longer. In cars the voltage might peak as high as 14 volts.

And Allan_P. I'll try to write up a tutorial.

Edited by Downtime - 09áJulá2013 at 9:29am
DOUGMONIKA View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOUGMONIKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áJulá2013 at 9:39am
Looks great
How do you get the door card off
Cheers
Doug

Edited by DOUGMONIKA - 09áJulá2013 at 9:39am
Allan_P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áJulá2013 at 10:33am
Very nice Downtime and thanks for doing this.
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áJulá2013 at 6:45pm
tutorial moved here as it own thread Thumbs Up

2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áOctá2013 at 6:00am
Seems like my initial thoughts on the leds being too bright in the dark were correct.

Even with more resistance to lower the output the leds were still too bright. So I had to look for something else.

Luckily I did not fix the leds in place with superglue or anything like that so trying different colors was a really easy task to do.

Bought red, yellow, green and 5cd white leds. Overall to my surprise the yellow leds were the best ones. They are little bit more to the amber so the coloring fits the rest of the interior lights quite nicely. Also the light output is very dim and the leds give a subtle mood light that is not too visible.
Red leds were also very good but they were also a little bit too bright to my taste. Though even with the brightness they would not hurt your vision during the night or would not have been too distracting.

The main reason for this change was that my brother-in-law got a new car, a VW Tiguan two weeks ago, and in his car the door handles are lit with a dim red light. Now the QQ has a similar dim lighting on the handles except they're yellow/amber.

I'll try to get some photos to show the difference.
QQLover View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QQLover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áMará2015 at 7:03pm
Looks great but I agree with you too bright, looking forward to seeing the new ones.
I really wish Nissan hadn't been so economical on the mood lighting, why not go the full way and make it in footwell a and handles as standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic