UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Is DPF threat still an issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beermetal2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is DPF threat still an issue
    Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 9:53am
After having driven a motability qashqai 1.5 dci acenta for the past 3 years with no DPF issues so far,depsite only having put 9400 miles on the car,I was advised to look at the 1.2 petrol.I really don't know what to do.The salesman told me they've had loads of issues with people not doing enough miles and causing this issue and yet my current car is fine.Are they just trying to push the new 1.2 or what?Don't want to get the 1.2 and fine out fuel economy is crap or that it struggles on motorway or up hills.I'm 17 stone and will at times have a car full of people so am a bit concerned about the 1.2's power.Help please
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:06am
Hi beermetal.
I had a 2011 1.5, never suffered any problems with the DPF despite only covering under 5000 in just over 3years.
I have heard the new diesel is free from any DPF problem?

As for the 1.2. I have it along with a hefty 6ft hubby. Drove to Edinburgh with the car full to the rafters..... No problem with hills or speed. But at the end of the day if you would feel for comfortable with a diesel then go for it. After all it the DPF does get clogged up the garage will sort it out with Motability

Tiff

Edited by Tiffany - 05 Oct 2015 at 10:10am
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:16am
I think with a dpf it's not so 'how many miles you do' as 'how you do them'
A car driven 4 miles then switched off and left for 8 hours then driven another 4 miles and switch off,may well cover more miles than a car (our 1.6dci for example) that is left for 2 weeks and then driven for 30 miles on motorway and A roads.
The dpf regeneration needs a few parameters to kick in,ie
engine warm and sufficient revs held for a period of time.

As a mobility car I would buy the diesel as the increase in service costs is not your concern however the extra mpg is to your advantage,and assuming it does the next 9k miles in the same Manor as the last Qq it should be fine.
old shape 2013 tekna 1.6dci
Newest car we have ever owned
beermetal2003 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beermetal2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:20am
Thanks for your help Tiffany,much appreciated.How are you finding fuel consumption in the 1.2 compared to the diesel?
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beermetal2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:28am
Thanks Bryan,I know someone else who has a qashqai dci that's done 14000 in 18 months and still going fine.Ours has been doing regular journeys on faster roads doing 50-60 but not so much motorway driving.does seem there are plenty of people who haven't had DPF issues including myself.I suppose my main concern will be fuel economy,which i'm not convinced is going to be the best in the 1.2 compared to the diesel
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:52am
I average about 38 mpg. But then I'm no light footer.
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beermetal2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:54am
It's looking like diesel is the way to go again.Thanks
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:58am
Oops!!!! Forgive my manners, beermetal.
I'd like to wish you a big warm Welcome to the UK's biggest Qashqai Club and owners forum.

Heres a few pointers to help make using the forum easier, just click on the blue quick links.

Please make sure you have read the club rules, this will help make your use of the forum much easier : ClubRules.
If you need any help, feel free to contact one of our great team who will assist in any way they can .

Administrators :
PR07HET
Craigfishin

Moderator group :
Tiffany
G5 Boy
Gadget
Affman

The club is run on contributions by members, which allows the site to be advertising free with all money raised going toward running costs, web fees, club meets, competition prizes and various charities.
By contributing to the running costs of the club (£6 or £10 including a club window sticker) you get full access to post and start new threads anywhere on the forum plus access to discounts from our great selection of retailers and other great sections currently unavailable to you. If you want to contribute to the club, please see here : How to contribute.
No spamming is allowed , any advertising must be agreed with admin in advance. If you are interested in adding your company to our discount section please contact Craigfishin

The forum is a wealth of information. Please use the search option before starting new threads to save creating multiple threads on the same subject.

Thanks for joining, we hope you find all you need to know about your Qashqai and make a few new friends in the process. We have a great bunch of members on here, who all are willing to help if they can.

We also have club meets and excursions if you are interested. Please see link below from our visit to the Nissan Sunderland Plant to see the Qashqai being built : Nissan Sunderland meet.
Or our very successful joint meet with the Juke Owners Club, Juke Owners Group, Cube Owners Club and the Note Owners Club. With Nissan event's team in attendance with limited edition cars on display : Annual Wicksteed meet.

Once again we would like to welcome you to the Qashqai Club and look forward to getting to know you and we hope you enjoy your time here.
Lynn
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 11:12am
I own 1.6dCi and when I checked DPF regeneration history status, "regeneration malfunction" field, there was no failed regeneration yet. I drive pretty long as well as a lot of very short journeys quite often with no DPF issues so far. Honestly, I was pretty happy to see no failed DPF regeneration. So far, I have driven 28k km.

Edited by duncho - 05 Oct 2015 at 9:48pm
MikeR View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 7:35pm
The 1.6dci Renault engine in the Qashqai is programmed to regenerate every 1500km. When this occurs it goes into a triple injection mode for a short while. Basically what that does is ignites the fuel in the exhaust which heats & burns the "soot" in the DPF. So no hammering on the motorway will affect it..
I've never noticed it regenerating in mine which is a 2013 model & has 27k on the clock.
I should imagine that the 1.5 has something similar.
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 9:36pm
Not true what you are saying. It's programmed to execute regeneration when soot reach pre-set threshold. It has nothing to do with mileage...
MikeR View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:05pm
http://media.renault.com/download/media/specialfile/28360_1_5.aspx

Renault don't know what they're talking about then??
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by MikeR MikeR wrote:

http://media.renault.com/download/media/specialfile/28360_1_5.aspx

Renault don't know what they're talking about then??

Nissan uses Renault R9M engine but with their own ECM and it works slightly different. Engine control module monitors pressure and temperature of exhaust gasses before and after DPF. When ECM detects (based on increased exhaust gasses pressure before DPF) soot reaching the max threshold, increases exhaust gasses temperature by post injection, which burns soot in DPF i.e. regenerates it. This information is from Nissan technical documentation. Sheet you linked here is Renault information.

PS
I wouldn't be surprised if Renault does it exactly the same way, but to avoid that they have to describe in such detail they simply bulk it in a mileage driven, which may roughly correspond to one cycle when DPF reach predefined soot level.

Edited by duncho - 05 Oct 2015 at 11:53pm
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 11:40pm
My own Motobility 1.5 car will be three next June & up to now has only done 5,500 miles. Not a single issue with the dpf even with those miles being nearly entirely short, stop/start trips, BUT although I'm temptedd to go deisel again I dont want to tempt fate & will probably go petrol, especially as the 1.6 digi-T is now available in the X-Trail
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
MikeR View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 8:29am
Thank you duncho, that's enlightening. I stand corrected.
It's a great engine by the way!
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 9:05am
You're welcome MikeR. Engine is great indeed, I just made a mistake when I purchased CVT version, which is not the best option with this engine. With MT the car has much greater torque and punch and drives as it should. With CVT is a rubbish and has a huge lag on acceleration.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 8:19am
Just to defend the 1.2.......we are in the middle of a West Country tour and I can confirm that with Wifey, her big hubby (me) and our luggage it has coped admirably with the hills, including Porlock Hill in Somerset and the exit from Lynton in Devon. Check them out, they are steeeeeeep,
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 12:31am
Remember on a school trip in 1969/70 on a week in Somerset (Selworthy) the rear bumper of the coach being ripped off on Porlock Hill LOL. Visited Lynton & Lynmouth for 1st time on the same trip. Coach finally died in Stratford on Avan on the journey back home & a replacement had to be sent.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
F1 Bob View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F1 Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:45am
We live very close to Exmoor and both Porlock and Lynton-Lynmouth are regular stop offs for us. The QQ just takes it all in it's stride without any problem. However, as you would expect mpg does suffer from the hilly terrain. 
We are just back from two weeks in Surrey and Sussex and our mpg improved by around 5 mpg!

Edited by F1 Bob - 09 Oct 2015 at 9:46am
Tekna 1.5dCi in Nightshade
Allred478 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allred478 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 9:23pm
Swapped my 1.6 Focus for 1.2 Qashqai and although I have only had it for two weeks I am pleased with performance, it at least equals Focus performance and I prefer drive. Averaging about 40 mpg, but still early days.
rogerdodger View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerdodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 8:02pm
regarding fuel comsumption 1.2 engine, you have to bear in mind that if you had bought a new 1.5 diesel it

would have cost you about £1500 more, so you would then need to do over thirty 

thousand miles to break even compared to the 1.2.

one bonus i discovered is that mine, a 1.2 xtronic. was about the same price as a 1.5 diesel manual, so i

can "put up" with the extra cost of fuel, especially as it will probably be worth more at trade in time than

the 1.5 diesel , now that there are rumblings from the government about diesel being more polluting than

petrol!   .Big smile
sarahmic View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahmic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 7:02pm
I say 1.5dci every time!!
rogerdodger View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerdodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 11:40pm
so whats your mileage so far allred 478?
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 1:06am
A lot of users on here have motability or lease cars with little difference in payments between derv or petrol so mileage isnt an issue in that regard. True though if you buy you need the mileage to get your money back.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 11:10am
Mine's a 1.2 petrol and Wifey's Clio is the (same as QQ) 1.5 diesel.

All bases covered I think. Tongue

Both choices fuelled (pun intended) by the only auto box options available at the time.
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic