Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > J10 Reviews 2006 - 2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Ist impressions of Tekna 1.6dci 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ist impressions of Tekna 1.6dci 2013
    Posted: 29áOctá2013 at 2:21pm
Well, I put a thumbs down emo in place as I was expecting a little more from my new car.
These are simply observations and pretty much bullet points.
I would love comments from anyone, so please don't think I'm totally anti, but the car could have been so much better with just a few tweaks as it's largely the fine detail, the bit I paid extra for with the Tekna, that I have issues with.

To give a bit of background, I've driven some good cars and some rubbish in my time, I've gone for the Qashqui from a previous Megane estate, and a 2lt Vectra before that. Both bought high mileage at 1 year old, then kept for a further 7 years. I said I'd never buy a new car, but, well you know, everyone wants to own one at some point in time.
It is I suppose inevitable that some of my comparisons are with these two cars.

I have now owned the car for about 3 weeks and done just 700 miles

So, in no particular order, I just jotted them down over the last week as I thought of them;

The so called intelligent key is anything but. It often doesn't work if in a side pocket with something else in it, or if in the pocket away from the car. This morning I sat in the car waving the thing about and all I got was the "key not located" signal. Sounds like trouble to come. Whoever designed the system

This is the 1st car I've owned since the late 88's that doesn't auto close all windows via the central locking, something I missed when testing it.

The petrol filler, again some thing I missed. It's archaic, in this day and age to have to pull a lever, undo the cap and locate it in the flap is darn right inconvenient, another 80's throwback.

The steering lock, who dreamed that 1 up. Let go of the switch, press a button, then turn said switch again?? Why.

My biggest grouch is 1 of the main reasons I went for this model, the heated leather seats. They are the poorest seat heaters of any car I have ever known them fitted to. I actually checked the fuse box when I 1st got the car as I thought they'd left the fuses out.
On low you warm the seat rather than vice versa, you don't know they are on. On high, after 2 miles at least you just start to feel a glow. Are they all like this?. It is going back in but I know what they will say. You also cannot preheat the seats with the engine running without actually being in the car so 2 miles on a freezing seat, nice.

The stop start system? It's come into play about 3 times in 700 miles. Ok it's working as designed, but given the weather we have had over the last few weeks, the electric's are always on demand, so perm any 2 out of headlights/demister/wipers/heated seats etc, and it doesn't cut in.
It also takes around 7 miles for the engine to get up to a temp where the system comes into play. Given the heavy duty starter, I've reverted to intuitive stop/start. Twice it has cut when the engine was cold and with all the electric on, restarted with a clutch dip so it wasn't stalled. Sounds like another issue to watch out for.

Engine noise is more pronounced than the Renault, given they are from the same stable I thing it's a fair comparison.

Transmission noise is also higher, much higher.

Worst noise is that from the rear wheel arches, it sound like something rattling about in the boot when driving over loose surfaces or farm rubbish on the roads, poor.

The engine is great.

The gearbox and change is great.

Fuel consumption?. I'm an economy driving freak, I spend more time with 1 eye on the gauge than I should. I genuinely don't think anyone will do better than I can. So, the only issue I have is with the manf stated figures. I don't think those are achievable, but, driven carefully it's very good, even at such a low mileage.
General from cold short trips and I get just over 40 maybe 43 mpg.
I did a run on sunday, 61 miles each way. 67.3 in 1 direction and 56.6 returning. The difference down to the gales we had this weekend.
That's a pretty good figure of around 62mpg

given the bulk of the car.

The sat nav is brilliant, fast and accurate, but out of date by a couple of years on a road I use often, can it be updated?

When I tested the car the only issue I had with the car was the position of the main display for sat nav and cameras etc. I felt it was for too low, but decided I could live with it. I was right, it is far to far out of line of sight. Maybe they will get that right with the new model

The cameras, all 4, need constant cleaning or are otherwise useless. Not clever in rain either. They do have blind spots on the corners where the fields of view meet on the simulated birds eye view, capable of "losing" a lampstand if in exactly the wrong position. I would have like audible as well as visual warning.

Cruise control and speed limiter work, but I don't ever use them, but I guess it depends on route choice.

The Bose stereo is fine, not sure if it's worth the cost over standard, I'm a hifi nut for info.

Xenon headlights?, jury is out on that 1 too.

Interior storage. I find it lacking. Nowhere central for sunglasses and such like, and with such a high floor there could have been several under floor hideaways as per others.

The ride is great.

The brakes are very good.

I did break traction under acceleration the other day, and I mean big style, I was skiing on rainwater for 20 yards. So torgue is there

Seat adjustment for and aft is on the limit for me at 6' 3", most cars I can adjust too far back, not this 1.

Now, given I have only had 700 miles driving, and most of it has been in the wet, I have a problem. The car has alloy style pedals with small rubber inserts on them. I have so far had my foot slip off the brake pedal and the clutch pedal and believe it or not the accelerator pedal. I'll put that last 1 down to my light right foot but the others??? Emery pads for the pedals I'm afraid. I have had this stuff on track cars and Westfields etc, but for British winter weather? No.

Cosmetically it looks the part, I need the high ride height do to fishing safaris down rutted farm tracks, the Vx and Renault got grounded several times. The only thing I don't like is the agricultural or industrial look of the intercooler that stands out when you view the car from the front. The only silver thing on view with a Metallic Black car, ought to have been toned down or shielded.

So, it looks like a whole load of negatives. And I know some of this is personal preference. We would all love a pick'n mix car.
But it isn't it just all the little things about this car that spoil it for me.
I'll have it for 3 years, I may grow to like it more, but I'm just a little disappointed and has left me thinking "what car next?"
after only 3 weeks. that's a 1st

I would love to here from anyone who either agrees or strongly refutes my views, it's why I listed them.
But above all I want to know anyone else's view of those seat heaters

And of course sorry for the length of post
Senile?. Me? Senile?, I haven't finished being juvenile yet
Qashqai 1.6edci Tekna stop/start thingy, new 21/10/13??

Black met, did I mention the Spanish inquisition?
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áOctá2013 at 3:23pm
Well Bill you must have RSI now!

I well put together post and fair in it's views. I would hasten to add just a couple of points though, firstly remember the bulk of the car is six years old, so some things may seem "dated" such as the petrol cap.

Your dealer should update your sat nave for you under first service, I am surprised it is out of date but may just be a local issue, check the version number of the maps it may well be the map information rather than the software.

I agree with the seat heaters, "very on or off" but unless we move to GTR or Z range you don't get vented seats.

The rattle of the back end, couple of things to note, check that the parcel shelf is secure, make sure the boot catch catches, fully, a quick test is to put some tape around the catch bar on the body to see if the sound stops.

Other than that I hope you do get to feel the love soon!

Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
1206butler View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1206butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áOctá2013 at 5:26pm
Hi Bill, i've had my 360 for 3 weeks with about 700 on the clock.  Having come from a VW Passat SEL  I knew I was sacrificing a bit of build quality for a different "experience" with a crossover.

Storage:  Agree, this could be much better.  Cup holders next to the handbrake are as useful as a fart in a space suit. They don't hold large bottles of water either.  Waste of time IMO.  You can just about fit a large sports bottle in the door pocket (wedged in), but this should be better thought out.  I'm still hunting for a decent after-market cup holder, but yet to find one.  I opted for the under seat tray which holds the car manuals/canvass folder and also the sunglasses holder which replaces the grab rail above your head which I use all the time. It's ace.

Rear "clatter" over bumps:
I have also noticed the clatter from the back, usually over speed humps.  As mentioned, it could be the storage cover that lifts up in the boot (on the floor in a +2).  I've checked the spare wheel is secure and the boot shuts properly.  Needs further investigation.

Fuel cap:
Not sure what you mean about that? This works the same as on my 2007 VW Passat.  Pull a lever inside, fuel cover opens, unscrew cap and rest it on the latch, fill up with fuel etc. etc.   Have things moved on since then??  If so please tell... I might be stuck in a time warp or something...

Sat Nav:  Working well so far.  Haven't noticed any roads missing (yet), but would hope they'll be at least annual updates available?

Auto closing windows:  Agree that would be a nice feature to be able to hold down the lock button on your remote and have all the windows close.  Maybe the new QQ will have it.

The 360 camera thing:  I took this as a bit of a gimmick at first really, but now i've gotten use to it, it has actually been of benefit.  I've not had a problem with dirt fogging up the cameras (yet) and I do find it useful just to use as a quick reference to check how close to the kerb / garage wall you are.  I don't think anything will quite replace looking over your shoulder and using mirrors though.  That said however, I DO think an audible option SHOULD be included with the Connect (especially on the Tekna and 360).

Cruise control: Haven't tried it yet!  Never been a fan.  If you crunch miles up and down the motorway I imagine it's very useful.  I shall make a point of trying it out just to make sure it works though!

Engine noise:  Mine's the 1.6dCi and it seems fine.  Certainly not any noisier than my 2.0 tdi was really. About the same.

Seat adjustment: I'm 6ft 2" and have my seat on the last but one notch, so yes I can appreciate it's perhaps on the limit for you.  Actual leg room isn't as generous as my Passat Estate was, but I knew this before a pulled the trigger.  It's a shorter car at the end of the day.  It was another small sacrifice to have the family crossover experience.

Sound system:  Haven't got the BOSE system but it sounds 'ok'.  Doesn't blow you away but I find it acceptable and on par with the VW system I had at least. 

Stop/Start:  On a couple of occasions it has decided not to kick in, but in general it seems ok.  It wasn't a major selling point for me, but I would expect it to work ok nonetheless.  So again, it is "satisfactory" and I like seeing how many trees I have saved.

One thing I missed when testing it was the lack of an Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror.  I've since acquired an original one from a 2009 Tekna off Ebay and then sourced any other parts for it through Glyn Hopkin (who were very helpful indeed).  With the assistance of another member on this forum it was easy to fit and works a treat.  It also provides an ambient orange glow over the center console which is ANOTHER thing I really missed that previous cars i've owned came with as standard.

I have also purchased the auto folding mirror kit from Aces DVD which i'll fit tomorrow (as it's meant to be a dry day!).

These last two items I think should be standard on the 360 and Tekna models (esp Tekna).

The lack of non-slip rubber in door pockets, center console compartments and glove box was also noticable.  My Passat's glove box was carpeted!!  The QQ has Zilch,  in fact I don't think it's even cooled. 

But enough of the negative stuff...

- I love the way it drives. 
- The engine and gearbox have loosened up nicely after 700 miles. The engine seems to get better and better.
- Fuel economy is averaging about 42.5mph at the mo though a combination of motorway/urban.
- I like the higher commanding seating position. 
- I find the seats are really comfy.
- My last car didn't have a huge awesome panoramic roof which my 2yr old son loves and makes him smile every time he sits in the back (so the QQ is worth it just for that Clap )
- I like the fact I can "hop into it" rather than lower myself down into it (this could definately be a sign of me just reaching my 40's!). 
- My last car didn't have built in sat nav and mp3/ipod player and touch screen awesomeness.
- It's my "man truck" that i've always wanted (grrr)
- It looks great, and although the overall design several years old, it still looks better (IMO) than most other crossovers out there.  Including that new Suzuki thing I saw on the tellybox last night.
- I didn't have steering wheel controls on my last car either (awesome).

So in summary, I wasn't sure about it when I first pulled the trigger on the deal.  My wife was more excited about it than I was.  Yes there are some quality issues that Nissan need to address with future models.  But the car has really grown on me after 3/4 weeks of driving it and since fitting my rear view mirror and other bits and bobs to make it my own, I'm really happy with it now. 

I really hope your car does the same over time, however, if you're still thinking about your Renault and wondering what car to have next, I wouldn't say that was a good sign! Maybe give it a couple of weeks and if the love thang hasn't materialised, go talk to the dealer and see what your options are...

Best of luck!

That was my longest post.. like.. ever...

2013(63)|360|+2|1.6dCi,s/s|Mag Red|Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror|Folding Mirror Kit|Flip Key|Boot Buddy|Saunders W94 Mesh Dog Guard
bruiser bill View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áOctá2013 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by 1206butler 1206butler wrote:

Hi Bill, i've had my 360 for 3 weeks with about 700 on the clock.  Having come from a VW Passat SEL  I knew I was sacrificing a bit of build quality for a different "experience" with a crossover.

Storage:  Agree, this could be much better.  Cup holders next to the handbrake are as useful as a fart in a space suit. They don't hold large bottles of water either.  Waste of time IMO.  You can just about fit a large sports bottle in the door pocket (wedged in), but this should be better thought out.  I'm still hunting for a decent after-market cup holder, but yet to find one.  I opted for the under seat tray which holds the car manuals/canvass folder and also the sunglasses holder which replaces the grab rail above your head which I use all the time. It's ace.

Rear "clatter" over bumps:
I have also noticed the clatter from the back, usually over speed humps.  As mentioned, it could be the storage cover that lifts up in the boot (on the floor in a +2).  I've checked the spare wheel is secure and the boot shuts properly.  Needs further investigation.

Fuel cap:
Not sure what you mean about that? This works the same as on my 2007 VW Passat.  Pull a lever inside, fuel cover opens, unscrew cap and rest it on the latch, fill up with fuel etc. etc.   Have things moved on since then??  If so please tell... I might be stuck in a time warp or something...

Sat Nav:  Working well so far.  Haven't noticed any roads missing (yet), but would hope they'll be at least annual updates available?

Auto closing windows:  Agree that would be a nice feature to be able to hold down the lock button on your remote and have all the windows close.  Maybe the new QQ will have it.

The 360 camera thing:  I took this as a bit of a gimmick at first really, but now i've gotten use to it, it has actually been of benefit.  I've not had a problem with dirt fogging up the cameras (yet) and I do find it useful just to use as a quick reference to check how close to the kerb / garage wall you are.  I don't think anything will quite replace looking over your shoulder and using mirrors though.  That said however, I DO think an audible option SHOULD be included with the Connect (especially on the Tekna and 360).

Cruise control: Haven't tried it yet!  Never been a fan.  If you crunch miles up and down the motorway I imagine it's very useful.  I shall make a point of trying it out just to make sure it works though!

Engine noise:  Mine's the 1.6dCi and it seems fine.  Certainly not any noisier than my 2.0 tdi was really. About the same.

Seat adjustment: I'm 6ft 2" and have my seat on the last but one notch, so yes I can appreciate it's perhaps on the limit for you.  Actual leg room isn't as generous as my Passat Estate was, but I knew this before a pulled the trigger.  It's a shorter car at the end of the day.  It was another small sacrifice to have the family crossover experience.

Sound system:  Haven't got the BOSE system but it sounds 'ok'.  Doesn't blow you away but I find it acceptable and on par with the VW system I had at least. 

Stop/Start:  On a couple of occasions it has decided not to kick in, but in general it seems ok.  It wasn't a major selling point for me, but I would expect it to work ok nonetheless.  So again, it is "satisfactory" and I like seeing how many trees I have saved.

One thing I missed when testing it was the lack of an Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror.  I've since acquired an original one from a 2009 Tekna off Ebay and then sourced any other parts for it through Glyn Hopkin (who were very helpful indeed).  With the assistance of another member on this forum it was easy to fit and works a treat.  It also provides an ambient orange glow over the center console which is ANOTHER thing I really missed that previous cars i've owned came with as standard.

I have also purchased the auto folding mirror kit from Aces DVD which i'll fit tomorrow (as it's meant to be a dry day!).

These last two items I think should be standard on the 360 and Tekna models (esp Tekna).

The lack of non-slip rubber in door pockets, center console compartments and glove box was also noticable.  My Passat's glove box was carpeted!!  The QQ has Zilch,  in fact I don't think it's even cooled. 

But enough of the negative stuff...

- I love the way it drives. 
- The engine and gearbox have loosened up nicely after 700 miles. The engine seems to get better and better.
- Fuel economy is averaging about 42.5mph at the mo though a combination of motorway/urban.
- I like the higher commanding seating position. 
- I find the seats are really comfy.
- My last car didn't have a huge awesome panoramic roof which my 2yr old son loves and makes him smile every time he sits in the back (so the QQ is worth it just for that Clap )
- I like the fact I can "hop into it" rather than lower myself down into it (this could definately be a sign of me just reaching my 40's!). 
- My last car didn't have built in sat nav and mp3/ipod player and touch screen awesomeness.
- It's my "man truck" that i've always wanted (grrr)
- It looks great, and although the overall design several years old, it still looks better (IMO) than most other crossovers out there.  Including that new Suzuki thing I saw on the tellybox last night.
- I didn't have steering wheel controls on my last car either (awesome).

So in summary, I wasn't sure about it when I first pulled the trigger on the deal.  My wife was more excited about it than I was.  Yes there are some quality issues that Nissan need to address with future models.  But the car has really grown on me after 3/4 weeks of driving it and since fitting my rear view mirror and other bits and bobs to make it my own, I'm really happy with it now. 

I really hope your car does the same over time, however, if you're still thinking about your Renault and wondering what car to have next, I wouldn't say that was a good sign! Maybe give it a couple of weeks and if the love thang hasn't materialised, go talk to the dealer and see what your options are...

Best of luck!

That was my longest post.. like.. ever...

You have the same verbal disease as me, LOLLOLLOL

Noise at rear isn't anything loose, it is simply crap off the road hitting the under wheel arches, I'm certifiably 1/2 deaf and it annoys meWink

Fuel cap is simply historic, never had a cap that screws on for 20 years, they pop open or you depress the spring top. Wifes car even closes if you drive away without closingWink

The camera, this was the 1 thing I needed on my new car. I do have an accident related issue that restricts my neck mobility, just need a system I have confidence in. Don't get me wrong. This must be as good as anybodies, but to have overlap on the 4 cameras to ensure no blindspot should not be difficult. The 1st thing I did when testing a car at the dealers was to get a mate to do a walkabout around the car. Blindspots do show.

The engine noise/tranny noise was a direct comparison to my Renault 1.5dci, so a fair compare I think. It's not the engine, it's the sound proofing methinks.

The deal is done, I'm in for 3 years, not a problem.  There is no perfect car. There's probably no perfect car for me either. It's just that this 1 is a little too far off the mark for me.

It does what it says on the can, but the can can say beans or caviar.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áOctá2013 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by PR07HET PR07HET wrote:

Well Bill you must have RSI now!

I well put together post and fair in it's views. I would hasten to add just a couple of points though, firstly remember the bulk of the car is six years old, so some things may seem "dated" such as the petrol cap.

Your dealer should update your sat nave for you under first service, I am surprised it is out of date but may just be a local issue, check the version number of the maps it may well be the map information rather than the software.

I agree with the seat heaters, "very on or off" but unless we move to GTR or Z range you don't get vented seats.

The rattle of the back end, couple of things to note, check that the parcel shelf is secure, make sure the boot catch catches, fully, a quick test is to put some tape around the catch bar on the body to see if the sound stops.

Other than that I hope you do get to feel the love soon!

Thanks chap, I really do seem to be coming accross awfully negative but they are detail niggles, the car will be fine I have no doubts.
I eagerly await it winter performance. Ok, not 4x4 but with the height and tyre diameter I'm expecting decent performance. I am used to poor winter conditions and don't have many issues, this car should improve on that.

Regarding the car being dated, remember the Renault I was generally referring to was launched in 2002, before the Quasqai, they picked up on these things

Can I ask again about the seat heaters, can you tell yours are on on low heat, and is there any way of warming up the seats in the drive before departure??.

And yes, it will grow on me, it may be the best thing since sliced bread in 3 years time, I just wanted to give an initial gut reaction to the detail niggles I findWinkWink

Thanks for the replies chaps, think I have thanked you.

Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áOctá2013 at 6:42pm
The only advice I can offer is regarding the intelligent key.  I have not had any problems in nearly 2yrs with the car detecting the 'key' inside or outside the car.  Ask your dealer to change the fob battery, or alternatively check if your spare key suffers likewise.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áOctá2013 at 8:09pm
Hi Bill. Yes agree with Doug, about intelligent key, yours doesn't sound like it's behaving, mine tells me off, I lock house up, put keys away in handbag, you do have to be very close to car with the key though, I was quite annoyed about this at first, iff I leave my keys in car then go to lock it when I'm outside, it makes a noise, to remind me! And won't lock! The heated seats are very substandard, a lot more responsive in our ex Alhambra and more setting options and heated quicker, but car had to be running to start the heated seats up! The Bose, o.k but had just as good stereo in our also ex vw passat, I'm fine tuned to quality audio systems, through my dad and husband! The Bose just has more heart thumping beat to it with certain songs, I would be interested to hear a standard issue Nissan stereo, to compare, yes also in aAlhambra we had auto close windows when car locked, but hey the qashqai far nicer to look at then any off the above, and don't feel I'm driving a van anymore, like Alhambra. Unless you pay over 60k maybe we can't have all the boxes ticked, we purchased our Tekna with high mileage, 2 years old, felt what we payed for it was still good value for money, with what we got with the qasqai+2. Just remembered though when our twins were babies, I had put one baby in car, but then managed to lock him in with car key, while holding other twin baby boy on the outside, when had Alhambra, very traumatic for all involved, long story but I know the qq would not have let this happen, like when we had the Alhambra, so wish I had the qq then but no way though I would have got my red Ferrari looking double pram in qq's boot when all 3 rows in use, had to remove a wheel on pram as it was in the alhambra's boot, so mm that's my thoughts and experience hon xx
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áOctá2013 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Doug999 Doug999 wrote:

The only advice I can offer is regarding the intelligent key.á I have not had any problems in nearly 2yrs with the car detecting the 'key' inside or outside the car.á Ask your dealer to change the fob battery, or alternatively check if your spare key suffers likewise.

The I key won't work if too close to your mobile phone btw.
Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áOctá2013 at 8:15pm
I can agree with Frankie on that one, in one of my coats I had my mobile in an inside pocket and the key in the outside pocket and that is the only time I noticed intermittent unlocking.

The issue you mentioned about the ignition/steering lock, this is a common Jap thing. I think it's so you have to make a concious decision to actually put the steering lock on. The guys with the key may confirm this but I'm sure you can remove the key without putting the steering lock on, I know you used to be able to on older Nissan's. The problem you mention is only because Nissan are too stingy to install a proper keyless system like the Renault and have just modified the regular key system. You will get used to it, after 2 years I have it off to a fine art now.

It's all relative to what you've been driving before the Nissan I think, before the QQ I had a Kia and I can honestly say that as much as I liked the Kia, you can't half notice how much of an improvement the Nissan is. The gearchange, the quietness of the engine, the quality of the seats and the plastics. Obviously if you've been driving something like a VW before the QQ then I'm sure you will feel like you have taken a step backwards.

The drivers window is a bug bear of mine too, I have lost count of how many times I have had to reset it. It seems like every other time I use it, the stupid thing bounces back and needs resetting again Angry I used to have a Vectra and all 4 windows were auto up and down and all had the safety bounce back feature.

I don't have start/stop so I can't comment.

The Xenons are the wrong colour, but are standard OEM fitment. I installed 6000k in my Kia and they were brilliant, never used the main beam once after I put them in. The QQ are 4500k and are too Yellow.

Can't agree with you on the Sat-Nav, I think it's sh1te and have gone back to my trusty Tom Tom.
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áOctá2013 at 8:54am
Originally posted by PR07HET PR07HET wrote:

Originally posted by Doug999 Doug999 wrote:

The only advice I can offer is regarding the intelligent key.á I have not had any problems in nearly 2yrs with the car detecting the 'key' inside or outside the car.á Ask your dealer to change the fob battery, or alternatively check if your spare key suffers likewise.

The I key won't work if too close to your mobile phone btw.

Yes. That was the conclusion I'd come too, it was shielded by my phone on the 1st occasion, but the 2nd time the phone was in my pocket and the key was being waved violently at the car, as in "recognise this sucker?"

Have changed to the other fob, I too thought the battery iffy, we'll see.

There was a comment about the satnav being poor from another poster, I really found the opposite. I came from a navman which has better graphics than this and the tomtom mentioned. However for me it's speed in getting back on to a lost journey or between several close junctions that matters and scores highly in the Qashqai.

Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áOctá2013 at 9:31am
Originally posted by bruiser bill bruiser bill wrote:

There was a comment about the satnav being poor from another poster, I really found the opposite. I came from a navman which has better graphics than this and the tomtom mentioned. However for me it's speed in getting back on to a lost journey or between several close junctions that matters and scores highly in the Qashqai.

I also agree that after getting the latest map update the navigation has been very good. It has a very good lane guidance when driving in big cities. I've never missed a junction yet with this one. 

With Garmin it was constant :)
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áOctá2013 at 5:51pm
Whilst we are on the 'intelligent key' theme, I had a very close shave recently Confused

I was driving to work recently with my wife as passenger, who was going to to take the car after dropping me off, to go shopping.

We arrived at my place of work, I jumped out of the car leaving the engine running (I know its an offence) whilst my wife jumped into the driver position.  As I walked away I heard the car 'bleep bleep' as the key was still in my pocket.  My wife did not notice the dashboard warning and was in the process of driving off when I stopped her.

I had visions of my poor missus arriving at the shop car park, switching off the engine, only to find she was unable to lock or drive the car again.......phewEmbarrassed

Would the audible warning continue to sound if I hadn't stopped her from driving off?
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áOctá2013 at 6:48pm
Ha ha that's happened to us, when we have a take-away meal, our twins like a mcdonalds, the rest off like our kebabs from our great local Turkish take-away, we pre order from Manni's kebabs then we went to pick up, my husband drops me off to get the macdonalds order then drives on round to pick up ours, then comes to pick me and others up, one time, he was driving, I had my car key in my handbag, he drove off, I realised I had key when reaching for my purse, I said oops to my daughter, he then appeared 5 minutes to get key off me, I was very 'tail between my legs' that day, luckily not far to walk across town, but a pain to drive, as one way system. Can't remember car bleeping, but noisy with hustle and bustle outside on a Saturday night in town, learn from my plonkish mistake, and an unhappy OH,
Gshep69 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gshep69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áOctá2013 at 8:23pm
Never had any issues at all with the I key, think it works well. Only concern was when I drove away from kwik fit not realising the mechanic had left the keys outside, in the gap between windscreen and bonnet. Had a hell of a job finding the key when I got home!!

I'm happy with the satnav, think it's perfectly adequate for the job. Xenon lights and Bose system don't seem much use to me, can't really tell any great difference from the standard kit. Definitely wouldnt pay any extra to specify them as an option, but I wanted leather seats so got the lights and Bose system anyway as part if the tekna spec.
2013 Qashqai+2, 1.6Dci, Tekna, Nightshade, Graphite Leather interior
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áNová2013 at 8:37am
Well, had the car a few more weeks and I'm still sat on the fence in regard to how I view it. (That's actually a better position than a few days after delivery as I really thought I'd made a mistake in choice).

Just a few points to add since last time, some good, some bad.

The car is driving great, it has from new. The large mirrors are a big help I hadn't fully realised until some recent motorway trips.

The comfort is excellent, but the seat heating I've given up on. Trip to the dealer and " they are all like that sir"

Torque from the little engine is brilliant, just have to watch the sub turbo revs, but once over 1500 it's well happy.

Around town fuel cons is ok, if not great, about 45-47mpg on say daily 3-10 mile journeys, getting 60 on all runs and more at legal motorway speeds.

It's never stopped raining since I've had the car, though cameras are proving useless just when I need them.

I discovered another little qashqai idiosyncrasy the other day. If you press any steering wheel control a little too hard, it sounds the horn.
Quite embarrassing when sat in traffic and fiddling with the stereo volume, I developed a technique of quickly looking around to throw the blame elsewhere. They really should float on the outer ring of the centre boss.

Also another niggle, if you grip the heater/climate controls a little tightly they in effect lock and can't be turned

Hopefully again I hope you can see all these bad points for me are relatively minor, it's the fact that such a nice car that does a good job is spoilt with the attention to detail being lacking.
For a few dollars more it could be so much better.

Open for comments please.

Edited by bruiser bill - 19áNová2013 at 8:39am

Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áNová2013 at 10:40am
Hiya Bill, I agree with the positives, lovely big wing mirrors, a plus. heated seats, sub standard, Bose, 9/10 suits my taste in music! But not outstanding! Cost off the xenon 'tekna' headlights to replace give's me the ebey gebies! The comfort to drive, outstanding, car 'hugs' you in! Safety feeling very good! Style outstanding! Why change it! Not had any trouble with steering wheel, not hit the horn accidentally, or had 'knob' troubles, except removing an air fresher, one pinged off under a seat, put back on. Please don't talk torque, this girl needs educating in this department, mpg was 57mpg when purchased car, when on a trip to garage, mpg dropped down to 26mpg, the highest I've got back is 38mpg, as we speak it's only a rubbish 33.4mpg, but my short journeys do this I appreciate, my car needs a long run up a motorway, clear the dpf. Filter and get that mpg back up! And treat the engine to a super warm state, poor car mine, sure I love it more than it loves me!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áNová2013 at 4:35pm
Don't worry girl (not sexist I assure you). 
Torque is in scientific terms the turning force of the engine, in practice it is how sharp it feels off the mark

The Nissan/Renault engines are 2nd to none ClapClapClap

I too have had no knob troubles, well at least any that aren't explained within my username, Wink.

Edited by bruiser bill - 19áNová2013 at 4:37pm

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áNová2013 at 4:40pm
I am drawing 1 positive from all my meanderings?
No one has disagreed with what I've said, does  restore my fragile mental stateWinkWink

Good car, could be far far better.

ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áNová2013 at 5:11pm
Cant say I've managed to blow the horn whilst pressing a steering wheel button on either QQ or had any trouble with the heating controls. Regarding your original post the rear wheel arch noise I only noticed when I was sat in the back but thats rare so doesnt bother me. The engine on this new one is definately louder when cold  than the last one but fine once its warms up & tbh I've suffered diesels that rattled like a can of bolts constantly LOL
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Fozza View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áNová2013 at 6:19pm
Sounds like you just like a good moan, You'll find positives and negatives in every walk of life! 

Sound like a hard person to please lol 
Oop North John View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oop North John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áNová2013 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by ericos ericos wrote:

Cant say I've managed to blow the horn whilst pressing a steering wheel button 
Done that as well Embarrassed
DC Dick View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DC Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áNová2013 at 12:46am
Must agree with you Bruiser Smile

I had the N tec 1.5dci version & always thought that it was the "nearly car"

Just to many small "niggles" combined to finally lead me away from the car

The basic car/concept is good, but it so easily could have been made so much better at first "face lift" time.  Even so it still sells in large numbers.

From what I've seen of the new QQ they haven't addressed a lot of the issues that annoyed people like me (& others it seems).  The sat nav is still far to low in the dash for example.

One of my friends (Nissan employee) had the chance of waiting a little while to get the new QQ but chose to get the current model as his lease car, wasn't that complimentary about the new model for some reasonConfused

I drive a Honda now & it's a totally different machine to drive (maybe because there's no French stuff in the car Confused)

Dick.
was, 1.5Dci (61) ...Ntec...Nightshade..... wish I still had it.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áNová2013 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Fozza Fozza wrote:

Sounds like you just like a good moan, You'll find positives and negatives in every walk of life! 

No Fozza, I just like a good car. You have your opinions about the car, don't express them about me please

And you haven't grasped the reason I've started this thread or the section it's in, ie" love it or hate it "
This is a fair and just review, I have said what is good and I've said what is bad, or lets say just isn't up to expectations because that's what I'm talking here, disappointment in many minor areas that could have been totally avoided at little cost.

Had I been coming to the Qashqai from a beemer or audi etc you may have been more correct. But my car before last was a vectra and the last 1 a megane estate, hardly the height of luxury.

Anyhow, someone commented about the noise only in the back? Well my last car never had the back seats in place, the squabs had to be removed to flatten the load area and as such I ran it almost exclusively as a 2 seater. Given that the qashqai is a would be load carrier I think I have reason to expect the same level of noise control at least with the seats up in place.
But the rear wheel arch noise is just a clue to the lack of soundproofing as a whole, the pprevious renault had the 1.5dci and six speed box, it showed no transmission wine and you could hardly hear the engine with the windows up

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1206butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áNová2013 at 10:00am
I think it would help Nissan A LOT if they invited an opinion panel made of Qashqai Forum members to get involved at some stage during the design process.  I realise there are loads of things to take into account when designing a car to a certain price point and that sacrifices have to be made in certain areas, however, I agree with Bruiser that there are a few minor issues that, if addressed, would make a massive difference to the overall feel of the car in terms of quality and comfort, especially considering the price point for a brand spanker.

For example, somebody has said that the sat nav screen is still too low on the 2014 model.  I've only been a member of this forum for a month or two and i've seen that old chestnut appear on here a few times, so I do wonder (considering how long we're told they spend on the design process and how desperate they are to GET IT RIGHT as it's the top selling model etc..) who actually designs these cars and how 'in touch' they are with their paying customers requirements.

As much is a love my 360 (and I really do!), I have to agree that for ú25k (for a +2) I would have expected just a little bit more.  It's almost like i've had to finish off the car myself to bring it up to standard.  Just tiny things I would have expected it to come with.  

Don't get me wrong, I love my Qashqai.  It's probably the best car i've ever owned Thumbs Up

PS. how the hell do you engage the bloody steering lock!??! Anybody??

2013(63)|360|+2|1.6dCi,s/s|Mag Red|Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror|Folding Mirror Kit|Flip Key|Boot Buddy|Saunders W94 Mesh Dog Guard
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1206butler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áNová2013 at 10:03am
Originally posted by 1206butler 1206butler wrote:

I think it would help Nissan A LOT if they invited an opinion panel made of Qashqai Forum members to get involved at some stage during the design process.  I realise there are loads of things to take into account when designing a car to a certain price point and that sacrifices have to be made in certain areas, however, I agree with Bruiser that there are a few minor issues that, if addressed, would make a massive difference to the overall feel of the car in terms of quality and comfort, especially considering the price point for a brand spanker.

For example, somebody has said that the sat nav screen is still too low on the 2014 model.  I've only been a member of this forum for a month or two and i've seen that old chestnut appear on here a few times, so I do wonder (considering how long we're told they spend on the design process and how desperate they are to GET IT RIGHT as it's the top selling model etc..) who actually designs these cars and how 'in touch' they are with their paying customers requirements.

As much is a love my 360 (and I really do!), I have to agree that for ú25k (for a +2) I would have expected just a little bit more.  It's almost like i've had to finish off the car myself to bring it up to standard.  Just tiny things I would have expected it to come with.  

Don't get me wrong, I love my Qashqai.  It's probably the best car i've ever owned Thumbs Up

PS. how the hell do you engage the bloody steering lock!??! Anybody??

well... leased for 3 years... LOL
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áNová2013 at 10:07am
Originally posted by bruiser bill bruiser bill wrote:

Originally posted by Fozza Fozza wrote:

No Fozza, I just like a good car. You have your opinions about the car, don't express them about me please

LOL (or lol if Fozza's cap locks key is busted) stands for laugh out loud and suggests it was said in fun/jest/tongue in cheek ie no offence intended.

Edited by G5 BOY - 25áNová2013 at 10:08am
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áNová2013 at 10:33am
The 2nd bit I accept as a joke, accusing me of spending a whole load of time detailing my "just liking a moan",  I don't

WinkWinkWink 

But I have a concession, the intelligent key is growing on me, just a good bit different. When I stop walking away having left the car unlocked, I'll like it even better.LOL

Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áNová2013 at 10:37am
I've allways thought 'LOL' was lots off love!
Blade silver 2010 tekna qashqai+2 owned from October2012, as a sort off belated 40th birthday present from hubby,
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25áNová2013 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Kazlou Kazlou wrote:

I've allways thought 'LOL' was lots off love!

I sincerely hope not. Man love, HugHug?Handshake is enough for meWinkWink

Edited by bruiser bill - 25áNová2013 at 2:01pm

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áNová2013 at 1:39pm
I hope this is acceptable, but I am planning to update this thread say every 2 months or so?

I could start a separate thread each time but I would just like to keep it as 1. If I mellow over time then I'd like to read it back myself. And if it wins me over I have my hat to eat

Today, six weeks in 1st fault, negligible, thought I'd have more with any new car.

But, we need to change the 2nd car soon, the Nissan may be relegated to the 2nd car if try to find something I enjoy more.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24áDecá2013 at 3:27pm
Ok, as I said an update.

Auto headlights failed on the car a month ago, too minor to be without the car for so still broken.

The good bits;

The car is really good to drive.

Can't fault engine power, but then I paid a premium for that.

Gearbox good too, used to that one.

Braking 1st rate, can't complain there.

Takes speed bumps better than anything I've had.

Handling or cornering is predictable, it is a high, heavy car.

Fuel consumption good

Comfort, ride height/position great.

Rear visibility in spite of others comments is far better than my previous estate

Sat nav better than any previous.

Cruise control and limiter work well.

Not knocked/scraped it yet, that's a positive

Headlights good

So all the above could be taken as a result, but:

The bad bits;

It is simply the most boring and unexciting car I have owned, and I haven't owned extravagant stuff.

I would hate to have got the 1.5dci, it must struggle, much that I love that little engine.

You really have to be careful with enthusiastic cornering, this is no sports car, wheels lift easily.

I said the fuel consumption was good?, it is, but the figures would suggest exceptional, which they aren't.

The waste of time and money bits;

Rear view camera gadget things, never clear or dry and so far of view to be unusable.

Intelligent key?, gets flummoxed if you have anything else in your pocket.

None of the warning bleeps are loud enough.

I personally can't reach the fuel filler release whilst sat in the car

Headlights not brilliant. ie, worth the extra.

Too few cubby holes and so much wasted space under the rear seats,

And the electric seat heaters/, I simply don't use them anymore, they are ineffective and not worth using.

Verdict still the same, good car that could be/have been so much better.

Still, only 33 months to go until it does

Edited by bruiser bill - 24áDecá2013 at 3:32pm

ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24áDecá2013 at 3:43pm
Believe me the 1.5 doesnt struggle, I've had 2.2, 2.0 & 1.9 diesels in the past & it out performs them by far - though we usually only have 2 people in it & dont have heavy loaads so that might  make a difference.

deffo sound a bit of a moaner tbh WinkBig smile, you list headlights as good & then again as bad Smile
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áDecá2013 at 8:48am
The headlights, yes they are good, but they aren't great, that's the point you've missed, also most that fit xenons fit them to both the main and dip, unlike Nissan.

And believe me I do know the 1.5dci inside out, my last renault and mt wifes present 1 had the 106hp engine, great little engines in that size carm a tekno with the added weight?? needs the 1.6 to my mind.

Now you are the second person to suggest I'm moaning, don't worry it's xmas and I don't pay to join a forum to fall out with people, BUT, yes it is a big but, I am bitterly dissapointed with this car. Probably because it is the 1st time I have every owned a new car and went for a top of the range model for the gadgets, and it's largely the gadgets that let it down. The fact that my "moans" are about the bits I didn't manage to test on the cars I drove is my fault, accepted, but every other car has surprised me with something I didn't expect, the Teckna has too, but in the wrong way.

PS many more people have sat in the passenger seat of the car now, so far the only person who believes it has elctric seats that are working is the Nissan service centre managerWinkWinkWinkWink

As I said, I will continue this for as long as I have the car, I'm being honest with my opinions, I am mellowing to some of it's comparative failings, but above all, if you check out the very 1st reply that came in to this thread, nothing I said was actually disagreed with.

For me this is the type of forum that a newcomer should come to when looking for a new car. I'm not here to do anything other than give an honest review, moans and allLOL

PS, forgot to mention, I accidentaly found something I very much do like. You can't accidentally try to start the car with the engine already runningConfused, that's neat, is it a Nissan thing or part of the "stop/start system?.

Edited by bruiser bill - 26áDecá2013 at 9:09am

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruiser bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áJaná2014 at 3:29pm
Ok as said a month or 2 later I'm back.

#Apologies for the big print in the last post, it was unintentional.

So my view now.

Don't like the car.

Why?, just doesn't excite.

Was that why I bought it, to excite?

No, but I didn't realise it mattered..

Something else struck me the other day too, no one has actually said "nice car", or words to that effect. OK, maybe it blends in or something, I don't know.

So what has happened to the car and to influence my views.

Well the auto headlights took about 5 weeks holiday and now work perfectly

Absolutely no issues with reliability whatsoever.

Fuel consumption great on a run but average is just that, distinctively average.

Intelligent key is now accepted/gotten used too. But still, it's an extra?

Camera system, probably the main reason I bought the car, is near useless. If it's wet, (and to be honest t hasn't stopped raining since I bought the car), you simply can't use it, if it's rained recently the lenses are so shieted up as to be useless.

To disprove what I said above, the sun shone the other daym I found that with the sun behind you and the sunroof open you can't see a thing on the camera/nav screen.

Bottom line, great car in it's basic form, but the extra spec isn't worth a light.
And didn't even mention the non existent leather seat heating

PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áJaná2014 at 3:38pm
I think the camera have little washers which come on when you use the head light washers...

... oh wait that's the New Qashqai :(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic