Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J11 Qashqai 2014 - > J11 Hints, Tips and How To...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

J 11 Tekna Spare wheel vs BOSE system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Blackley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J 11 Tekna Spare wheel vs BOSE system
    Posted: 16 Jun 2020 at 9:25pm
Hi All
I'm considering an upgrade from my N Connecta to a Tekna but believe the Tekna has a BOSE amp/speaker where the spare wheel would normally go. I currently have a Nissan space saver spare along with the boot insert which I would hope to move over. Is it possible to fit a spare into the Tekna and retain the BOSE kit? Alternatively if the BOSE kit is removed from the boot will the radio still function......a basic stereo radio/CD would do me fine.
I like the Tekna spec but prefer a spare wheel over a fancy sound system
Just wondered if anyone has overcome this situation.

Thanks in anticipation
Gary
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 12:48pm
Hi Gary

Personally which are you going to listen to more? A decent sound system which will be compromised compared to a wheel? :)

If you get RAC (which you get for free with a Nissan Service) then they will fix the tyre road side, so unsure why you need the spare (personally) after all yes you could change your tyre on the road side but then have limited miles range and speed.

I know the counter argument is I cant wait for RAC etc but you would make the time up by being able to travel as normal.

There is also the environmental consideration, what happens to all those spare tyres when they never get used? What about the small amount of extra weight to carry?

Have I just opened a big can of worms!!

Mainly found at an office chair these days
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 1:32pm
No can of worms opened here... Wink

If I'd remove the space saver wheel from my car I could do 43.795494 mpg instead of 43.5927371 mpg with the space saver wheel...

So I'd say it is neglible...
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 5:21pm
My space saver is placed in the boot upside down so that the Bose Woofer sits inside neatly. The boot liner is then raised very slightly but not noticeable.

Breakdown services can provide roadside assistance with punctures, but any damage to a sidewall is non repairable so new tyre is required.  Plus if not considered a 'vulnerable' driver, you could have a long wait for their arrival.  Additional MPG with spacesaver is negligible.

My Tekna is a 2012 model and I keep forgetting whether it is a J10 or J11.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Doug999 Doug999 wrote:

...My Tekna is a 2012 model and I keep forgetting whether it is a J10 or J11.

There was no J11 in 2012...
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Gary Blackley View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Blackley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:30pm
Thanks Doug
I appreciate your response. I'll bear in mind what you have done but hopefully I'll get a response from an owner of a J11 who has resolved this situation.
Once again many thanks for your time.

Kind Regards
Gary
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Blackley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 10:35pm
Cheers Udo  Thumbs Up
Devondave View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devondave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 3:10pm
Hi Gary,
I can understand your frustration, and I liked Doug999's suggested remedy, so I've just managed to check out my new Tekna between the showers! Unfortunately the Bose sub woofer measures 16 inches across, and the recess inside my spacesaver wheel is only 14 inches, so that won't work. I feel sure that someone will come up with a solution some time. 
Dave Kirton (2013 360 1.5 Dci Flame Red/black Side Steps, Wind Deflectors, Fog Light & Rear reflectors trim rings, Side window chrome trims, Bonnet protector. Chrome tailpipe.)
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Blackley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:47pm
Hi Dave
Thanks for your input.
Could I trouble you to have a look in your boot and see if it's simply an unplug and remove situation?
I think the system amp may be under the driver's seat and what's in the boot is simply a speaker. If that's the case unplugging/disconnecting the boot speaker would leave the boot as per all other models ie capable of taking a spare and still leave the rest of the speakers working.
Cheers
Gary
Devondave View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devondave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 9:38pm
Hi Gary,
Yes, I can confirm that the wiring for the sub wooffer connects to a plug and socket on the top of the speaker, so disconnecting it could hardly be simpler. You'd have to do a bit of fiddling around with the polystyrene mouldings, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Dave Kirton (2013 360 1.5 Dci Flame Red/black Side Steps, Wind Deflectors, Fog Light & Rear reflectors trim rings, Side window chrome trims, Bonnet protector. Chrome tailpipe.)
Dunno View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:39pm
Hi Gary

I have the same problem.  Can you confirm if the Bose component is a sub wooffer or a speaker?  Did you remove it?  Did it affect the sound system very much?  Did the space saver wheel etc fit?  Thanks for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic