UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

J11 - air con not cold enough - dealer no help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: J11 - air con not cold enough - dealer no help
    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 at 10:11pm
Hi,

After a new condensor was fitted just over a month ago I’ve noticed that the air con no longer feels ‘cold’, there is also a noticeable hissing noise, but only when the air con is on (is this normal?). It went into Toomey Nissan today and they checked the temperature using a sensor gun on all vents, which read 16c which they reckon is normal, also checked for any leaks and also checked the flaps that work the duel zone climate control and they are fine also. Now I’m left with a car that barely has any air con and whilst they’ve said to bring it back if still no good, the service advisor didn’t seem to have an answer on what they could do next.

Way things are going Nissan will be added with Renault as manufacturers not to buy cars from.
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 9:07am
Temperature from the vents when the air con is set to LO should be around 6C, same kind of temperature as a fridge.

Normally your hand would feel icy cold after just a few seconds.

QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
Vinnyh73 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 10:29pm
Thanks ChrisW, NCS are now involved an after getting a second opinion it was confirmed what you already knew. Toomey Nissan are going to have another look Thursday week and as mentioned by NCS, should seek guidance from their internal tech team.

However, should it help them, is the hissing noise (which only happens when the air con is on) normal?
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:39am
I have my air con on 100% of the time, and never heard a hissing noise so that does sound like a problem.

PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:00am
Hissing? I would say there is a pipe leak, behind the passenger vent. I have heard of this a few times.

Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
Vinnyh73 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 10:22pm
Thanks guys, makes sense to me that something is leaking. Bit disappointed though that this wouldn’t have alerted the Nissan Technicians, but then I do believe that they are great at replacing parts, but because that’s all they really do, they’re not so hot when it comes to investigating problems.
Vinnyh73 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 10:34pm
Well today Toomey Nissan have taken another look and now found that a pipe is leaking, one that comes straight from the condenser by the looks of it (why they didn't spot this last week I'll never know).

To compound matters I asked for them to clean the car (at my cost) and have failed to do so.

I'm now waiting for NCS to come back to see if they will help with the cost of replacing the pipe and have also sent a lengthy email to Toomey HQ making a complaint.

All in all I have little faith with Nissan Franchises, we jumped ship after Glyn Hopkin Romford once forgot to MOT our previous Qashqai and the straw the broke the camels back was when they left it till 5pm on a Friday to tell me that on our current Qashqai the indicator on the right wing mirror wasn't working and as such failed the MOT and that I couldn't have the car back until it had been sorted (being an MOT failure, even though a valid MOT was in force).
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:04pm
I thought the condenser was replaced a month ago - so if the pipe thats coming from it is leaking, that's surely covered by the 12 month parts/labour guarantee you would have for that work??

Vinnyh73 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2018 at 5:21pm
Looks like they wanted to charge me (assume a pipe they didn't replace first time) however after sending a lengthy email to complain, they've now agreed to pay for it, give the car a CF1 Full Valet (anyone know to what extent of cleaning that actually is) and also a full tank of fuel.

They were very apologetic to say the least.

Car is now booked in for next Thursday.
Vinnyh73 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 7:29pm
So the car never went in last Thursday as the part never arrived. Toomey Nissan upgraded the request to VIP status but now been told that there is a backlog on that part. Wouldn’t surprise me if this isn’t sorted till after summer.

Hertsjohn View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hertsjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2018 at 11:42pm
I have just had my QQ J11 aircon system cleaned, serviced and regassed / oiled with 1234yf (new gas) by a mobile firm called "we chill any car". Excellent and recommended. £95. Much cheaper than the main dealers and very professional. Also.....very efficient now.
Vinnyh73 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:24pm
Cheers, will give them a try next time.
terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by Vinnyh73 Vinnyh73 wrote:

Well today Toomey Nissan have taken another look and now found that a pipe is leaking, one that comes straight from the condenser by the looks of it (why they didn't spot this last week I'll never know).

To compound matters I asked for them to clean the car (at my cost) and have failed to do so.

I'm now waiting for NCS to come back to see if they will help with the cost of replacing the pipe and have also sent a lengthy email to Toomey HQ making a complaint.

All in all I have little faith with Nissan Franchises, we jumped ship after Glyn Hopkin Romford once forgot to MOT our previous Qashqai and the straw the broke the camels back was when they left it till 5pm on a Friday to tell me that on our current Qashqai the indicator on the right wing mirror wasn't working and as such failed the MOT and that I couldn't have the car back until it had been sorted (being an MOT failure, even though a valid MOT was in force).

They can not refuse to give you the car back if it fails its MOT and I am sure that an indicator would be a minor fail

If you get a dangerous they should advise that you are not allowed to drive the car by law they can not stop you.
But if you do and get caught you may get a ticket and fine.
If you had an old MOT once you take for a renewal it mean the old one is no longer any good.
I suspect they used the scare tactic to make you get the repair carried out by them.
DangerousA direct and immediate risk to road safety or has a serious impact on the environment.

Do not drive the vehicle until it’s been repaired.
MajorIt may affect the vehicle’s safety, put other road users at risk or have an impact on the environment.

Repair it immediately.
MinorNo significant effect on the safety of the vehicle or impact on the environment.

Repair as soon as possible.
terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 12:54pm
Having problems with my aircon.
Purchased the car 4 months ago from West way, cared4,
So the aircon has been very poor and hissing sound.
Contacted westway who told me it would be £99 for a regas.
But you have not checked for faults I say, OK you have 2 options bring the car in for a check and any problems found will be covered on warranty.
If no problems are found and just needs regas it will caso you £99.
So I say I have only had the car 4 months that would mean you sold me the car with no gas in the aircon.

Service then check there system to say the car is 3 years old and has not had a regas since new we recommend a regas every 2 years.

So you sold me a car knowing it had not been regassed from new 4 month later you want me to pay £99 to regas the car.

When you sold me the car you told me it had all been checked and every thing works correct.

As I have only had the car 4 months I should not have to pay any thing but they are still arguing the point.

So car is booked in and I will be going to have a word or 2 with the Site manager regarding who pays for the regas if I they do not come to an agreement I will be following this up.

Nissan have been very tactfull in how they have answered my question regarding this problem.

Any thoughts on this 
I was of the understanding in the first 6 months the problems was already there after 6 months then you have to prove the problem was there.

There seems to many people suffereing problems with Nissan Qashqai aircon
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 2:48pm
If it's making the hissing sound on a 3 year old car, then you've probably got a faulty air con, probably the condenser.  Yes, they recommend regassing every 2 years but then they would wouldn't they as it's a license to print money these days.

They say the cost is high because the cost of the gas is high, but it's all a complete rip-off because what a re-gas machine does is vacuum out the gas out of your system into their cylinders, give it a bit of a clean, then fill it back up again.

If you had 99% gas in yours, and I had 1% gas in mine, we'd both be paying £99 for gas when in reality you have had 1% new gas and I've had a full 99%.   And there's no labour charges really either, they connect the machine up to the HI and LO connectors, press the start button, then leave it 45 minutes whilst they do something else for another customer, double booking the labour charges for that hour.

terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by chrisw99 chrisw99 wrote:

If it's making the hissing sound on a 3 year old car, then you've probably got a faulty air con, probably the condenser.  Yes, they recommend regassing every 2 years but then they would wouldn't they as it's a license to print money these days.

They say the cost is high because the cost of the gas is high, but it's all a complete rip-off because what a re-gas machine does is vacuum out the gas out of your system into their cylinders, give it a bit of a clean, then fill it back up again.

If you had 99% gas in yours, and I had 1% gas in mine, we'd both be paying £99 for gas when in reality you have had 1% new gas and I've had a full 99%.   And there's no labour charges really either, they connect the machine up to the HI and LO connectors, press the start button, then leave it 45 minutes whilst they do something else for another customer, double booking the labour charges for that hour.

Definitely makes a hissing noise sounds like gas leaking from a small hole type of sound, it blows out hot air no matter what settings I put it on.
They can not fit me in until next week as they said they have no courtesy cars till then, they also say they can do it on a Saturday that was more convenient for me but they do not give courtesy cars out on a Saturday for some strange reason.

If it is the condenser then that is a good thing as it will mean they have to repair and re gas on the warranty.
But it could also work out to be a very bad thing as who knows how long I will have to wait.

Thanks for the heads up on this
Terry 
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 8:53am
A quick tip - the gas they use these days has a fluorescent dye in it, so leaks can be easily identified under UV light.

Buy a cheap UV torch from Amazon or ebay or somewhere, go out in pitch darkness and shine it in.  If the gas has leaked, there'll be bright green spots everywhere.   Then you can tell them there's a leak without them having to do any diagnosis.

When I had an AC problem a few years ago on a previous Qashqai, as it was a few years old I just regassed it, then it went again a few weeks later.  My son had one of these toy spy kits that had a pen with a UV torch in it, so I shone it around and it was instantly identifiable where it was leaking from.

If you do, look from both above and through the front grille.
vmlopes View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmlopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 10:18am
Don't let them valet your car!! It will be a low paid apprentice quite likely using a yard broom dipped in a bucket, if you want your paint looking like swirl city then go ahead as we all know the QQ paint is very soft!!
terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by vmlopes vmlopes wrote:

Don't let them valet your car!! It will be a low paid apprentice quite likely using a yard broom dipped in a bucket, if you want your paint looking like swirl city then go ahead as we all know the QQ paint is very soft!!

HaHa on picking my car up when first purchased I found muck on the seats, the back seats were disgusting it looked like some one had thrown muddy boots in there.
I mentioned this to the salesman who got a cleaner round with a dirty rag and bottle of I do not know what.
He did not speak or understand any English, I stopped him doing anything and when I got it home did it myself I have all the machines and cleaning stuff as I used to do a bit of detailing myself.
terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by chrisw99 chrisw99 wrote:

A quick tip - the gas they use these days has a fluorescent dye in it, so leaks can be easily identified under UV light.

Buy a cheap UV torch from Amazon or ebay or somewhere, go out in pitch darkness and shine it in.  If the gas has leaked, there'll be bright green spots everywhere.   Then you can tell them there's a leak without them having to do any diagnosis.

When I had an AC problem a few years ago on a previous Qashqai, as it was a few years old I just regassed it, then it went again a few weeks later.  My son had one of these toy spy kits that had a pen with a UV torch in it, so I shone it around and it was instantly identifiable where it was leaking from.

If you do, look from both above and through the front grille.

Now this is great information.
I have also got Nissan involved in this so hope fully I will not have to stand and argue.

Time to look for a UV torch
Terry
Vinnyh73 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 3:49pm
Just a little update for you guys, turns out the required part is now out of stock in th UK and they are now trying to source one from Amsterdam.

terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 11:09pm

Just a little update for you guys, turns out the required part is now out of stock in th UK and they are now trying to source one from Amsterdam.

What a joke when the factory is in Sunderland, I guess all the parts that arrive there are already destined  for a vehicle.
But still you expect parts to be available.
Vinnyh73 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinnyh73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by terry64 terry64 wrote:

What a joke when the factory is in Sunderland, I guess all the parts that arrive there are already destined  for a vehicle.

It really is, and to be honest I fully expect this to be the last Nissan I'll ever own. Its a good car, but everything else about Nissan and their franchises just stinks.
terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:28am

Originally posted by terry64 terry64 wrote:

It really is, and to be honest I fully expect this to be the last Nissan I'll ever own. Its a good car, but everything else about Nissan and their franchises just stinks.

The other thing is I am pretty sure Nissan can simply look on there systems to see where there is a part available regardless of what part of the world it is in.
They must be able to show stock levels, and there for it should be a simple process of putting your name on it and getting it shipped.

And the Nissan Factory in Sunderland gets parts supplied every day, yes those part are destined for other vehicles but how hard is it to add an extra part to an order ?
The part you need must be coming into the country for the plant to use.

So frustrating

There is for sure a lack of care once you have purchased .

Terry
terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 8:54am

Looks like they wanted to charge me (assume a pipe they didn't replace first time) however after sending a lengthy email to complain, they've now agreed to pay for it, give the car a CF1 Full Valet (anyone know to what extent of cleaning that actually is) and also a full tank of fuel.

They were very apologetic to say the least.

Car is now booked in for next Thursday.

I used to do car detailing and also did a lot of work for the trade Valeting cars and I have never heard of CF1 Full Valet. I have heard of a Full Valet so I guess the CF1 is a code they use as a get out clause when you complain some thing was not clean.

Basically a Full Valet means your car should be cleaned inside an outside every part you can get to, if done correct it should be fit to stand in the show room.
You will never get this from a vehicle sales site as most do not even use Professional Valeters any more, they just employ the local car wash gang to come and work for them, so your most likely to get all kinds of chemicals sprayed on parts of your car that should not be used.

What A Full Valet Should Include

Full Exterior Wash & Dry -  You can expect a full wash of your vehicles body and the wheels. The person performing this task should take their time and nothing should be missed. You will be paying extra for a better service so the quality of the finish should be excellent.

Tar Spots/Tree Sap Removed - Over time your vehicles will accumulate a lot of hard dirt spots on its exterior (especially if you use the motorway a lot), these are called tar spots. As part of the full valet service you can expect these to be removed, this is especially important for the next step of the full valet. If your vehicle has been sitting under a tree or parked next to a bush for a long period of time, it will no doubt be inflicted with tree sap. This should be removed as part of the service as well.

Layer Of Wax Applied For Protection - Once the vehicle is free from dirt and other contaminants a layer of wax should be applied for protection and a lasting shine. This keeps your car cleaner for longer, looking great and makes the next wash a breeze.

Full Interior Vacuum - The interior of your car should be fully vacuumed. This should include the boot, side pockets, storage compartments, glove box, dashboard and every other nook and cranny within your vehicle. This needs to be done to a high standard for it to justify the extra money spent.

Full Interior Shampoo - Once the car is fully vacumed, a professional carpet cleaner should be used to remove all of the hard dirt and filth which is festering within the carpets/cloth seats boot carpets that a vacuum cannot get to. A quick job won't do here, the right products and time should be spent to do the job properly for a lasting effect. So many car washes will just get the surface of the carpet so it looks clean on the first impression but won't have got in deep enough.

Leather Cleaned And Fed - If the vehicle has leather inside then it should all be professionally cleaned with the appropriate product. Cleaning leather is trickier than most other materials within the vehicle. It takes more time and effort to bring the dirt up from the leather and then needs to be wiped away to avoid getting sucked back in. Once the leather is clean, a feed should be applied to bring it back to life and revitalise it from its flat old self.

Plastics, Dashboard, Matte, Chrome Cleaned & Buffed - All of the plastics within the vehicle should be cleaned and dried, the dashboard should be cleaned and all of the 'fluff' which tends to linger should be wiped away. Every inch of the vehicle should be cleaned and then dried to bring it back to it's original condition.

Headlining Cleaned - The top of your car has a material which is often referred to as headlining, it gets dirty and needs to be cleaned in a specific way to avoid damage. The car valeter should know the best way to clean this material without risking damaging it in the process.

Tyres & Trim Dressed - To give your vehicle that brand new look, the tyres and trim should be dressed to help them look clean and fresh. Also if any of the exterior plastics colour is faded in any way then this should also be treated.

Windows & Glass Cleaned And Buffed - All windows and glass should be fully cleaned and then buffed dry to perfection. There should be no smudges on the windows, mirrors, wing mirrors or door handles once the job has been completed. This is usually the final step in the full valet process and really finishes the final look off nicely.

terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 8:57pm
Well received a phone call from Nissan yesterday from my case manager, she was very helpful and explained she had been in contact with the dealer regarding my situation regarding the aircon.
So today my car went in 8am 14.30 call to say car was ready.

They said your air conditioning system has had a full service, when asked what does that mean and was there any leaks was told it is in good working order now and no charge.
But no full explanation as to what the problem was and what was actually done.

Also the weather strips on the back doors had a couple of the push in clips missing so got them to renew them.

Aircon is working great now think it pays to get Nissan involved when the dealer is not playing ball
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic