UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Keys hard to remove from ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keys hard to remove from ignition
    Posted: 19áMará2013 at 7:58am
Hi Folks,
We had our 59 plate since jan this year,and the keys have never slipped out smoothly but no worse than I have come across on some vehicles in the past. Of late both the wifes and my ignition key are hard to remove from the ignition,you have to get it just right or you are faffing about with it.
Any ideas or am I looking at possible replacment of ignition barrel and keysConfused

Thanks
Mark.
NTEC 1.5 DCI
ALL MODE 1.6 DCI
renault1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renault1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Targetmark Targetmark wrote:

Hi Folks,
We had our 59 plate since jan this year,and the keys have never slipped out smoothly but no worse than I have come across on some vehicles in the past. Of late both the wifes and my ignition key are hard to remove from the ignition,you have to get it just right or you are faffing about with it.
Any ideas or am I looking at possible replacment of ignition barrel and keysConfused

Thanks
Mark.
-----------------------------------i had a visia for 2years with no problem,my 360 is 2weeks old now and i have got the exact same problem as you,i am keeping my eye on it to see as it goes,if it persists i will go back to the dealer.
qqvisia,qq360,xtrailntec,now qq tekna,gun metallic,side steps,wind deflectors,mud flaps,nice car.
Targetmark View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 10:15am
Been in contact with a locksmith that does auto locks as well. They seem to think rebuild of ignition barrel and new key blanks should sort the problem. estimate ú150.00 plus vat. Will look into it further.
Mark.
NTEC 1.5 DCI
ALL MODE 1.6 DCI
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 10:18am
Originally posted by renault1 renault1 wrote:

Hi Folks,

Thanks
Mark.
-----------------------------------i had a visia for 2years with no problem,my 360 is 2weeks old now and i have got the exact same problem as you,i am keeping my eye on it to see as it goes,if it persists i will go back to the dealer.
Are locks etc covered on the manufactures warranty? they are not on the cared4.
NTEC 1.5 DCI
ALL MODE 1.6 DCI
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 10:35am
Bit obvious, but WD40?

On the key not down your barrel Embarrassed.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 12:32pm
Always first option I try Wink WD40 and gaffa tape are the most used items in my man drawerBig smile
NTEC 1.5 DCI
ALL MODE 1.6 DCI
renault1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renault1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 1:46pm
Embarrassed
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Bit obvious, but WD40?

On the key not down your barrel Embarrassed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------say no moreEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
qqvisia,qq360,xtrailntec,now qq tekna,gun metallic,side steps,wind deflectors,mud flaps,nice car.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 2:02pm
Make sure the key isn't bent. Mine bent once, and I made getting the key in-and-our really difficult.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 2:31pm

Always first option I try WinkáWD40 and gaffa tape are the most used items in my man drawerBig smile

If it moves and shouldn't - use the gaffer tape. If it doesn't move and should - use the WD40.

Classic
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Targetmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 3:15pm

Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

Make sure the key isn't bent. Mine bent once, and I made getting the key in-and-our really difficult.
My key was the most used and the wifes was the second key virtually unused both look ok and are not bent and both stickConfused got the auto locksmith round tomorrow see what he says.
NTEC 1.5 DCI
ALL MODE 1.6 DCI
birder56 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birder56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 3:39pm
One locksmith we have used advised us never to oil a key , but to rub a lead pencil on the key barrel
2013 2.0 petrol Qashqai+2 CVT Tekna in Magnetic Red
birder56 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birder56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 3:43pm
Stupid me , not the key barrel , but the part that goes in the barrel
2013 2.0 petrol Qashqai+2 CVT Tekna in Magnetic Red
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 4:41pm
Don't use oil, use Pledge or similar furniture polish spray on your keys. We use it on our keys, locks, hinges etc and works much better than any oil and smells nicer!

Give it a try, will probably save you some money compared to a lock smith.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19áMará2013 at 10:35pm
Oil will - eventually - cause dust to build up. If a mechanism is intended to be oiled then by all means oil it. If it isn't, it's probably best not to.

Graphite lubrication may work, but bare in mind you putting conductive particles into an electrical switching assembly - this may have unintended consequences.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Targetmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áMará2013 at 5:35pm
Ok locksmith came today,removed ignition barrel and found that it had worn strangely on one of the parts inside,something he had not seen before. It had worn leaving a sharp edge like a barb so resulting in the key catching on removal. He was unable to repair this bit so he removed it as this does not affect the locks integrity,otherwise looking at new barrel proper money etc.All seems good at moment and work has a 12 month warranty. 
Hope this info might help someone in the future Thumbs Up
NTEC 1.5 DCI
ALL MODE 1.6 DCI
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áMará2013 at 5:50pm
Thumbs Up , great news , glad its all sorted , i know these little niggles can be very annoying
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áMará2013 at 5:50pm
Glad it's all OK but if he really knew his trade he would have squirted a load of WD40 everywhere Wink
rayhertford View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rayhertford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áJulá2015 at 9:21am
Hi Targetmark

I've got the same problem. Have you got a contact number for this locksmith?

KR

Ray

Edited by rayhertford - 17áJulá2015 at 3:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic