UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Petrol Heads > 1.6i Petrol
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Lack of power 1.6L

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lack of power 1.6L
    Posted: 30áJulá2011 at 4:29pm
Hi there

i posted before here with a serious lack of power on a 1.6L tech sport. I got the car new 2 month ago so far done 2500km and the car drags, struggles and looses power. It can only do 30-40km even on a not so steep hill in gear 2, any slight hill it can't take, struggles in gear 1.
I took it back to the dealer, they drove it for 15 mins, checked it all out and said it's all fine. We insisted it wasn;t and in their database they found that someone else reported similar probs and it was down to the air flow. They checked the airflow and they found it faulty on my car too. The ordered a replacement and will be fitted next week....I soo hope this will fix the lack of power, but if anyone else had similar probs would you mind sharing what solution nissan came up with? We now live in Spain and only have very rusty Spanish so communicating with the garage can get challenging, altough they do try English, i want to make sure nothing gets lost in translation. Thanks folksWink
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áJulá2011 at 5:08pm
Hi & Welcome pumpkin  Smile
I remember your last post but dont recall you saying what the final outcome was...hope it is the airflow that causing your problem. There is a few other members from Spain most recently Jane who is on here quite often, not sure how good her Spanish is but if she can help you Im sure she will...as any member who knows Spanish could give you some help in that respect....Thumbs Up
pumpkin View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 5:31pm
hello, i had the airflow part changed but the car still struggles up hills  and a lot of motorway driving is foot to the floor so it hadn't made significant difference...
The dealership tested the car again, and found it all in order. I find it hard to believe that a modern 1.6l engine all this is capable of. I bought the car based on it's statistic compared to other cars i know. I had a hire car Astra with a 1.6L engine that was 115 horsepower and the same weight if not slightly heavier than the Qq that advertised as 114 horse power...that was a car with real power, very easy to drive. I also had a ford focus 1.6l and was happy with the power there, 1.6l renault megane is the nippiest car I have ever driven. I used to own a 12 yr old 1.4l honda civic,  that had plenty more power than my new Qq. All these cars were just flying in gear 5 so easily, my new Qq I have to build up significant speed in gear 3, then once im in 5th is a foot to the floor job, most times have to come back down. Is this what the Qq 1.6l really about?? if so i am very disappointed, as i could have spent my money on something else that drives a lot lot better. i just do not understand why is it so very sluggish compared to other 1.6l cars when the weight of the car is similar so as horsepower. if anyone has the answer, I would be very very grateful to read it...
VanDiesil View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanDiesil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 6:24pm
according to my Nissan dealer, the QQ's use the same engines as the Megane's. Easiest way is to ask the dealership for a test drive in another 1.6l QQ & see if that is the same. The 1.5 Diesel QQ that I test drove made the 1.7L Turbo Diesel Astra we currently have, look like it was going in reverse as the power in the QQ engine was significantly greater in every gear. I also drove the 1.6 QQ as well whilst making my mind up and the performance of the 1.6l engine was equal, if not slightly more powerful , than the 1.5 tubocharged diesel that I plumped for.
Ooooooosssshhhhhh!!!!!!!

11 plate n-Tec 1.5dCi in speckley metallic purpley brown
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 6:36pm
Think your engine has a serous problem with lack of power, I had a 1.6 but never had problems like yours. 
noki49 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noki49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 7:00pm
I have the 1.6 and find it is adequately powered especially once the revs hit 3.5k it really flies then as if a turbo has kicked in.
As already suggested get a few test drives at all the dealers in your area so you have something to compare yours too.
1.6 Tekna in magnetic red ordered 19th Sept. ETA 7th Feb. Revised ETA 21st Feb. Arrived at Dealers 10th Feb. Collected 1st March 2011.
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 7:13pm
Sounds to me that there is definitely a problem with your car pumpkinErmm. You shouldn't have to drive with your foot to the floor to get the car going well.  I too would suggest like the guys above, that you have a drive in another 1.6 to see how that goes. I bet it's much better than yoursErmm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
L8RBB View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8RBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 7:35pm
Pumpkin,
The problem with your car is that Nissan have high geared the new 1.6 117ps engine to keep the emmisions down. By doing this they have reduced the power through the gears so the car struggles. I have been on about this several times else where in the forum.
My 07 and 09 Qashqai 1.6 models were fine, but when I got the 2010 60 plate model I found out to my dismay. I am now in the process of changing my current Qashqai for a 1.6 DIG-T Juke with 190ps, 6 speed box. Its awesome!!!!!!!
paulyoung666 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulyoung666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 7:38pm
worth checking the wheels to make sure you aint got a dragging brake , if one is hot after a drive then it could be the problem , careful though , the wheels can get hot enough to burn you Ouch
Ink Blue 2016 Tekna 1.5dci , loving it
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 8:02pm
Surely you shouldn't have to drive it with your foot to the floor thoughConfused
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
pumpkin View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 8:09pm
L8RBB, thanks for the info, devastating....Now I am lambered with a crap car by the sound of it. If that's the case Nissan should be challenged on this. They should not say in their brochure that horsepower is 114, when it clearly isn't. This is completely missleading, I bought the car based on the numbers, i didn;t test drive it as the dealer only had diesel available to test drive, which was a bit strange at the time. I just assumed that the car will be fine, just like any other 1.6L car. I know nothing about cars, I just drive them, so I made my mind up on the simple statistic that was in the brochure!
additionaly as the car really struggles petrol consumption is really high too, I have driven this car with 95km/hr just me in the car and it uses 8.3L petrol as oppposed to the 6.9L combined advertised.  Combined consumption is 10L! sorry I don't know what this works out as mpg, I now live in the continet. If you have any more info I would be most grateful, also what is the source of this info as I am going to take this up with Nissan so want to build a case! thanks
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 8:30pm
I take it that they have checked the clutchErmm Do you get high engine revving on hillsErmm or when you set off from a stationary position.
VanDiesil View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanDiesil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by L8RBB L8RBB wrote:

Pumpkin,
The problem with your car is that Nissan have high geared the new 1.6 117ps engine to keep the emmisions down. By doing this they have reduced the power through the gears so the car struggles. I have been on about this several times else where in the forum.
My 07 and 09 Qashqai 1.6 models were fine, but when I got the 2010 60 plate model I found out to my dismay. I am now in the process of changing my current Qashqai for a 1.6 DIG-T Juke with 190ps, 6 speed box. Its awesome!!!!!!!

If this is the case, then why did the 2011 1.6 QQ I test drove, go like sh*t off a stick in every gear & didn't labour even when telling me to change DOWN a gear when accelerating in the wrong gear? If the MPG was better & they had a 6 speed box in the 1.6 petrol, I would have had one of these instead of the diesel as I was impressed by the output from the engine for the size of the vehicle.
Ooooooosssshhhhhh!!!!!!!

VanDiesil View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanDiesil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by pumpkin pumpkin wrote:

I bought the car based on the numbers, i didn;t test drive it as the dealer only had diesel available to test drive, which was a bit strange at the time. 

Should have gone to a different dealership. I am sorry but you should NEVER buy a car without test driving it first - especially a new one.

I made sure I test drove both petrol & diesel versions before deciding on what I was going to get, to make sure I was choosing correctly. My Astra 1.7 turbo diesel claims to be 90bhp in the manual, but it is nowhere near as powerful as the 1.5l diesel QQ even though there is 15-17bhp difference between the two. Skoda's Yeti 1.2 turbo charged petrol engine is claimed at 105bhp but is significantly nowhere near as responsive or powerful as the 1.6 petrol QQ.
Ooooooosssshhhhhh!!!!!!!

pumpkin View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04áAugá2011 at 9:41pm

but you should NEVER buy a car without test driving it first

I  know this now but here it is my reason why we didn't. we now live at the costa del sol,  we have been hiering a car on a monthly basis, each car we kept for 28 days. We mostly had 1.6, sometimes at expensive periods like easter, we downgraded to 1.2 for costsavings. As we went through so many cars, some really driven out bad ones and some brand new ones, we never ever encountered such low power, even with the 1.2l engines. Therefore being used to having a different car every month, we didn't think it's mattered to test drive 1 as we never in our wildest dream even thought that a car with a 1.6 engine could be so weak! Additinally I don;t think a half an hr or less test drive really show off a car performance. Once you on a motorway and gained sufficient speed the car goes. Any hills, very common round here, the car struggles in a way that no any other we had before did. I now regret not picking up on the fact that the dealer only had a diesel to test drive when we wanted petrol. what year is your astra? We had a 2011 brand new one, that car was as powerful as a 2l golf we had before that. Anyone wants to buy a LHD 2month old tech sport with 2680km on the clock?????????
rocky8 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03áMará2012 at 7:31pm
I guess the 1.6 L QQ has some punch. However, the same engine in the QQ+2 version, 100kg heavier, does make the car sluggish. Can anyone confirm this.

Also the manufacturer claims same petrol consumption in both models. This is surely not true.
Anyone who's own both models pls confirm.

Thanks
nige65 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nige65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03áMará2012 at 8:11pm
I would put it on a rolling road and get readouts printed off go back to nissan with results could be fault with inlet manifold only saying that because my bmw 3 series 2.8 they made the inlets small only way o increase power was tofit one off a 5 series certain one something to do with european laws .

Bear in mind these are mass production and some could have had duff inlets just an idea.

Could be the gasket leaking air into the inlet manifold which is past the air flow sensor and confuses the ecu .

Just check all the hoses from inlet to map sensor for splits as well.

Edited by nige65 - 03áMará2012 at 8:23pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic