UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Looking to buy a Qashqai

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blugrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking to buy a Qashqai
    Posted: 12†Mar†2018 at 10:01am
Hi All. Iím new here and looking for some views on my first Qashqai. I am considering buying a 2015 N-Tec 1.2 Petrol. The car looks great and the spec is good. I have two concerns though which I thought people here may be able to help with.

1. The more I read the more I hear about unreliability and electronic issues. Is this the case or am I just finding things to worry about?

2. How is the power in a 1.2 petrol? Climbing hills, pulling out of junctions, overtaking etc. Iím looking for a car that can happily transport a family of 4, not a race car, but I donít want to be struggling to get up hills on the way to visit the in laws.

I probably have more questions but these are my main concerns. Any input would be welcome.

Thanks.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†Mar†2018 at 12:01pm
Hiya and welcome Big smile.

1. This is my 5th Qashqai in 11 years and I have NEVER had any reliability issues.  There was a problem with FIAMM batteries they used around 2014 which were replaced under (and sometimes just out of) warranty, so watch out for those.  Mine just wouldn't start one morning and RAC man said 'Oh - FIAMM - that's your problem.'  Apart from that they were all trouble-free.

2. This is my second 1.2.  I was channeled towards that as I like autos/CVTs and the 1.6 diesel CVT had production delays in 2014.  I was wary, as you are, but it's a peach believe me.  My first 3 were 2.0 petrol CVTs and I can't tell the difference, especially in the mpg Angry.  You won't get the 50 mpg combined that Nissan claim.  Expect around mid-30s average, depending on your driving mixture.  I get 40-45 on a good run and am even showing 50 as 'best', but average is mid-30s.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
stuartspanners View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuartspanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†Mar†2018 at 5:26pm
The 1.2 is fine until that day you need that extra bit of power ....also I repair and sell them and have done so for over 35 years ..... without being bullish, I've lost count of the amount of Qashqai's I've had, repaired, and Sold.

2.0 Diesel's ....they never gave me a problem .....

1.5 Diesel's ... Plenty of DPF and other problems, same engine as used in many Renault etc etc: look for yourself.

1.6 Petrol  .... Not the most powerful or fuel efficient, but pretty good overall and very reliable....

1.2 Petrol ..... Had around 5 so far ....2 with power loss, ECU faults, and electrical issues.....the rest all good so far, if slightly out of puff in real world Motorway scenario's 

As with most modern cars of the last few years, the more they try to squeeze efficiency, the more they put demands on smaller turbo's, Computer Systems, and emission control's etc etc:.....with older cars, they broke down, you bought the part, you put it on ...now you have to get out the computer and software.......At the end of the day it's sorely your choice....you know your own need's better than we ever can....In my opinion the 1.6 is just slightly more robust, and has that extra bit of power when you need it most, BUT ...as I say, end decision will always be yours.
stuartspanners View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuartspanners Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†Mar†2018 at 5:32pm
I would always say when purchasing, have a look at "Honest Johns" reviews online, the motoring columnist from the Daily Telegraph ....his real world reviews are invaluable knowledge, if not a little "Trip Advisor"ish sometimes..... read between the lines and you can get many varied reviews from people who use that particular vehicle every day, also highlights Main Dealers that have occasionally been left as baffled as many of us with a problem or fault. 
blugrass View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blugrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12†Mar†2018 at 7:29pm
Thanks for the replies. Both really useful. I am looking at the 1.6 as an option but obviously it carries a slightly higher price tag. Part of me does think I'd prefer the extra power but having not driven either yet I've only got other people's views to go on. Think I need to get some test drives booked in! I have considered diesel as well but with only doing low mileage/mainly urban it seems petrol would be the better way to go. Thanks again fellas but keep em coming if anyone else has something to add! It's nice hearing from owners. Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic