UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads > 2.0 diesel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

MPG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MPG
    Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 12:42pm
Got so mad at having to pay £70 for a tank of fuel I decided to change my driving and am now getting 50mpg out of my QQ! Does mean that I cruise at about 60 mph on the motorways, but at least a tank of fuel lasts me a week (550 miles), so pretty good I feel.

Anyone done better?
Time to drive - Black Tekna 2.0dCi
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 1:08pm
wanderlust,
it is said that 56mph is the most economical speed. I do agree that 70 squids a lot of money in anyones language, but I get bored with driving too slowly. I'm no boy racer anymore, apart from last week when I did about 70 miles driving an Astra VXR 2ltr turbo. Mm nice. Still got a wheelie at 50 mph and got up to 110 on a motorway on ramp. Oops. Sorry about that ! !

2.0 Tekna SatNav CVT 2wd in Cafe Latte
Even my wife says it's a lovely car
wanderlust View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 1:12pm
Techie you are so right, its not that enjoyable until I get to the pumps! But with my iPod on the time goes reasonably quickly
andy_benson View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
The First QQ+2 Forum Member!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy_benson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 1:16pm
Hoping to sell my Terrano2 and have a QQ+2 before I end up paying £100 for a tank... last fill up from empty was £94... :( ...lasts me about 350 miles
Proud owner of QQ+2 2.0dci 4WD Tekna Sat-Nav, in Fired Iron with Chocolate leather interior.
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 1:22pm
Andy,
How many miles? Now that's gotta hurt. Are you sure that no-one is nicking your petrol. Or maybe someone's taking it out for a spin with the speedo disconnected. Unless, of course it's the big momma with that sweet V6 in it.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy_benson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 1:26pm
Yup, cost me about £45 to fill up when i got it in 2000, that was ok(ish), but now is a joke..! It's not the V6, just the 2.7, but it was never going to be an economical car.. it's all about torquey power with the T2, but the QQ will be more about economy.
Proud owner of QQ+2 2.0dci 4WD Tekna Sat-Nav, in Fired Iron with Chocolate leather interior.
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 1:46pm

Argh, just the 2.7 eh. A bit sluggish then (not). But like you say, you don't buy a car like that and expect it to be the most economical car in the world.

Mind you, Top Gear did a test on the Toyota Hybrid, and the BMW3 was more economical. Okay, fair enough, they were driving the Toyota as fast as it would go, which it was never designed to be driven like that, and the BM was simply following behind.
See, you can make statistics tell you what you want to know. Like 23% of fatal motoring accidents are caused by driving under the influence. Therefore, surely, 77% are caused by sober ones?
Just a thought. But then, I suppose, 48.65% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Also, all RTA happen on the public highway, therefore, it must be safer to drive on the pavementLOL
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 1:51pm
Techie I see that Top Gear rated the Vauxhall's for style, so not only did you have a good ride (ooh eer) but you also had JC on your side!

Andy, the sooner you get your QQ the better, as you will save money at the pumps and be almost as cool as techie!
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 2:04pm
Yes wanderlust. JC on your side is never a bad thing. Did you see last weeks Top Gear when he took the Nissan GTR around Fudji Raceway? Having the previous week raced it across Japan against the bullet train.
I won't spoil it for you or any other readers, but it was on the impressive side Mmmmm good car.
And thanks for "techie being cool" bit as well.  Embarrassed
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 2:27pm
First Top Gear I have seen this serious unfortunately, but I will see if it is still available on watch again.

As for being cool, I guess we all are as we drive the best car! But you made it just that bit better with 110 up the ramp! Obviously you were talking about KPH, just in case and PC types are looking
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 2:31pm
Ummmm,
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 2:58pm
So, back to the original start, what are other drivers getting out of their QQ's?
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 3:24pm
Not 110 mph up an on ramp
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 3:26pm
serious response this time. Mine is an unfair judgement at the moment as most of my driving is in town @ 29mpg. However, I did do a short run ie 60 round trip and got 36 mpg. More respectible.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 5:17pm
Hi

Have been for a drive from Glasgow to Isle of Wight in my 1.5Dci - car absolutely stuffed full of luggage and passengers - getting 51mpg.

Strange that though as when i am at work doing town driving - i get 49mpg.

I am well impressed that a 2.oDci can get 50mpg..... 
I  thought that MPG would significantly improve from town to motorway driving unless driving with a FULL car can make a BIG difference to MPG???
PS - Does cruise control affect MPG??

On a positive note - filled tank up £65.00 - and drove from Glasgow to Portsmouth then a week on Isle of Wight without filling up.  Only had to fill up on my return journey and car was showing 743 miles to go before tank empty.

My last  fill up yesterday cost me £72.00 - very painful indeed.  I remember in the dim and distant past filling the Micra up and it cost £20.00 and lasted 3 weeks!!!

OOPS - SORRY GUYS - I HAVE POSTED IN 2.0L DIESEL THREAD - SORRYOuch

Edited by feefeeglasgow - 23†Jul†2008 at 5:18pm
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 5:28pm
Quick Isle of Wight petrol story.............

Was there not so long ago and filled up (not self service and no attendant) at a petrol station near the Needles (painful).  I went into the cash office to pay and she said.........

"Yes?"

"That pump there" (pointing)

"Yes?"

"I've just filled up and want to pay"

"Yes?"

"Yes what?"

"How much is it?"

..............no connection between pump and cashier Shocked.................they trust you to tell them how much LOL.

So I said.........

"£1.32p"

(Didn't really Embarrassed)
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 5:32pm
G5 - you are nuts
LOL
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 5:35pm
FeeFee Latte,
You asked PS - Does cruise control affect MPG??
Using Cruise Control will help the economy as the throttle is held more steadily that you or I could do it. As I have said on a previous thread, I was lent a 1.5dci for a month whilst waiting for the proper one to come through, and with cruise control on at 70mph, the drive computer showed 76 mpg on a flat road.
Now, that is impressive.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 6:09pm
Thanks techie,

Will having a really laden car also affect MPG?... I think that maybe its my style of driving thats causing me tohave less than expected MPG although I am really pleased compared to my MPG with the 2.0 l petrol.

Thanks for your help

Fee

techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23†Jul†2008 at 10:45pm
FeeFee Latte,
You asked "Will having a really laden car also affect MPG?"
Yes, it most certainly will as the engine needs more power to maintain a given speed, and as diesel weighs about 8lb per gallon, a full tank will make your coffee machine about 120lb heavier, requiring more throttle.
If you ever watch F1 racing, you will notice the cars get faster as their tanks gradually empty.
Add onto that the weight of luggage, and the handbag, it all adds up. So umm, yes there will be a difference, but there again you don't drive with a fully laden car all the time, do you.........Do you? oh you do, do you. Oh well. Geek
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderlust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24†Jul†2008 at 7:57am
It has to be said that to get 50 mpg out of my QQ takes a bit of thought and a different style of driving, like looking 10 miles into the distance to see if the traffic is slowing down! I set the cruise on at just over 60 and use it as much as possible. My journey is from Norwich to Guildford and then across to Hook and back. The Hook and back is done each day and the longer ones at the start and end of the week, so they do include the dreaded M25!

The car just has me and a very small amount of luggage.
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24†Jul†2008 at 8:32am
Originally posted by wanderlust wanderlust wrote:

It has to be said that to get 50 mpg out of my QQ takes a bit of thought ................. across to Hook and back.

The Hook of Holland?

Now we know how you get good mpg.............you inlude the mileage on the ferry..............that's cheating Thumbs%20Down

Edited by G5 BOY - 24†Jul†2008 at 8:33am
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04†Aug†2008 at 7:46am
well i'll be dammed if i'm getting 50 + mpg...
most ive seen on a run was about 42, around town it was more like 33.

even tried driving at silly slow speed on motorway and not getting anywhere near it.
3 full tanks since i pick her up.... er thats just under 1100 miles...or 195 litres
and have just over half a tank left on the 3 rd tank...
not sure if thats good or not...
i drive like i have always driven...

Proud to be back in a Qashqai
J11 blade silver tekna with some added bling
albatros View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albatros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04†Aug†2008 at 9:14am
Originally posted by MICK74 MICK74 wrote:

well i'll be dammed if i'm getting 50 + mpg...
most ive seen on a run was about 42, around town it was more like 33.

Yep, I've more or less given up checking on filling up cos  it's a bit depresssing, but the dashboard readout just sits stubbornly on 39.8 no matter how or where you drive it. OK, I know it's a biggish car with a largeish frontal area and it's an auto but I had hoped to be getting nearer 45mpg. Makes you wonder whether the price premium for diesel - both in car & fuel price - really makes economic sense nowadays. Cue for the petrolheads to crow!
57, 2.0dCi [J10] Acenta, auto, pearl black/graphite, chrome side bars & tailgate strip (hers!) 07 Pathfinder Aventura, auto (mine!)
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04†Aug†2008 at 9:39am
Originally posted by albatros albatros wrote:

Makes you wonder whether the price premium for diesel - both in car & fuel price - really makes economic sense nowadays. Cue for the petrolheads to crow!

Not at all - we all make mistakes Wink.
The Oracle View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04†Aug†2008 at 11:05am
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Originally posted by albatros albatros wrote:

Makes you wonder whether the price premium for diesel - both in car & fuel price - really makes economic sense nowadays. Cue for the petrolheads to crow!

Not at all - we all make mistakes Wink.

Aye your'e right there - just look at the colour you bought !

Touche ..
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy
dsmillie432 View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsmillie432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04†Aug†2008 at 12:29pm

Nowt wrong with the colour Star .... and at 41.2 mpg   on a 6 hour run from Lincoln to Devon...(ok it may be downhill)  glad I went for the cheaper petrol version.

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05†Aug†2008 at 8:34am
Originally posted by The Oracle The Oracle wrote:

Touche ..

Bitch
MICK74 View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
THE REAL BLING KING!!!!!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MICK74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05†Aug†2008 at 8:54am
don't petrol's kick out more co2. so higher road tax..
Queue the 1.5 petrol heads... this is for 2.0 diesels

i know when i was looking at the 2.o petrol... lower fuel, higher road tax & co2
 or 2.o diesel "better mpg" (er hmmmm) and lower road tax and co2.

LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE

Proud to be back in a Qashqai
J11 blade silver tekna with some added bling
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy_benson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05†Aug†2008 at 9:13am
I think the root of the issue, as we are all aware, is that the dividing lines between petrol and diesel have become rather blurred in the last couple of years. I suspect that in the long term diesel is still cheaper, and with fuel prices now coming down again that situation will be improving once more.

Longer times between fill-up's is advantageous, especially if you do a lot of long journeys.

Let not also forget that diesel has other qualities as a drivers car. Myself for example as someone that wants to tow, would always choose a diesel. A 2.0 turbo diesel engine is far more comparable to a 2.5 petrol when towing.

The extra torque and guts in a diesel engine, and it's more forgiving nature, IMHO, make them all-round better drivers choice.
The Oracle View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Oracle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05†Aug†2008 at 10:33am
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

Originally posted by The Oracle The Oracle wrote:

Touche ..

Bitch

Heh heh....sorry bud, just toying with you...actually I've noticed quite a few small nicks and scratches on ours...hhmm, stone chips or what I dont know...time for a bit of polish and TLC I reckon.....might do the car while Im on !Wink
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy
techie View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Aug†2008 at 12:45pm
Just recently took mine to see Stan21 so he could have a drool whilst waiting for his delivery. Outbound, took country roads and returned on the motorway. About a 50 mile round trip and got 40.2 to the gallon. Pretty good eh? Stuck to the speed limits and had the aircon on all the way
FiredIronQash View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiredIronQash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08†Aug†2008 at 5:34pm
I consider mpg to be pretty poor. The only time my QQ showed 50+mpg was when I zeroed the mpg display whilst travelling on dual at about 70mph (in 6th gear) and the first figure to be displayed was 53.3. That soon dropped though. I get abt 34 mpg round town which I guess is not bad for a 2.0dCI Visia Auto and 4wd. Only managed abt 40mph on a 120 mile round trip mostly A roads and dual. Sat at a fast-food outlet and watched the avg mpg dropping abt 0.1 per second! (Service is quicker than queuing on foot inside!) Wonder how many litres that represents!

Changing the subject, but following up on a comment made elsewhere on this forum, there are times when my auto box simply does not respond unless the rpm reaches 3500+ [more often than not in awkward situations like part-way across a busy mini-roundabout!] (puts me in mind of a slipping clutch scenario on a manual vehicle). Cannot get technical info frm Nissan Customer Service and local dealership claims all OK. Has anyone else experienced similar? Is there a fix other than a replacement gearbox OR dumping the vehicle in the sea!?

Thanks for reading this all comments will be appreciated.

FIQ

Edited by FiredIronQash - 08†Aug†2008 at 5:38pm
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11†Aug†2008 at 8:44am
RHP's your man - he has the same spec.

Sounds like you're not impressed to say the least.

Lovely colour though, eh? Big%20smile

Captain Bagpipe View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Bagpipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18†Sep†2008 at 4:50pm
Hi all,

Although I've been following the forum for the last couple of months while I made my mind up about what car to go for, this is my first post so take it easy on me... :-)

After driving the 1.5d and 2.0d, I plumped for the 2 litre. My driving is split 70/30 between motorway/a roads and around town and on some of the long trips I've got a car full of mates (to go to the football) so I figured the extra power from the bigger engine would be useful - especically pulling off from slip-roads and motorway services etc.

Anyway, I''m really agonising about my decision at the minute - I'm driving a Golf 2.0 TDi at the minute and am getting at least 52MPG on medium to long runs and around 43-45MPG around town. I know I shouldn't expect those sorts of figures given the weight and size of the QQ, but what is everyone else getting?

Although I was sorely tempted by the 1.5, I really felt I had to "wring it's neck" on the test drive and don't want to be doing that on the motorway, hence going for the 2 litre.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

CB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic