UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Wheels and Tyres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

New tyres needed soon, recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New tyres needed soon, recommendations
    Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 8:13pm
My 215/60 R17 H96 Bridgestone Duelers are within a few months of needing replacing. I've started looking on the Internet for available replacements and prices and there are quiet a few available. Although I've looked at the TyreReview website it only gives a general idea of tyre properties as none of the tyre reviewers owned Qashqais. I have the 1.6 petrol and the tyres I've looked at include the Conti Premium Contact 2 and 5 (the 5 has had the best reviews but wear is heavy); Dunlop Grandtrek; Goodyear Efficientgrip; Hankook Dynapro; Pirelli Scorpion.
Recommendations please... original Bridgestones will be shot by about 26-27,000 miles and I'd like to steer clear of budget tyres. Cheers.
Steve
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 12:10am
I would personally go for the Conti Premium Contact 2, have them on my 18" and reckon they will be good for 35-40,000 miles. Well worth the money.

Neighbour has the Goodyear Efficientgrip on his Renault and is very impressed with them.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 9:22am
Originally posted by PaulJ PaulJ wrote:

I would personally go for the Conti Premium Contact 2, have them on my 18" and reckon they will be good for 35-40,000 miles. Well worth the money.

Neighbour has the Goodyear Efficientgrip on his Renault and is very impressed with them.

I've just replaced the Conti Premium Contact 2 on my 18", the original tyres.  Got to 28000 miles with them, the fronts were barely legal, backs probably had another 9 months.

If the previous owner had swapped front with back at some stage, you are probably correct in getting 35k out of them.

gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 1:20pm
Goodyear for me...
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Chucky7 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by gadget gadget wrote:

Goodyear for me...

+1 from me gadget - I loved them when I had my 16's
Used to own 57-plate 2.0dCi Acenta 4WD in Flame Red

Did have a 1.6dCi Tekna CVT in Ink Blue on order in 2014 but got cancelled.....

I miss my QQ and may be back in a few years
TheBigYin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheBigYin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 11:28am
Conti's or Bridgestone all the way, one word of advice, under no circumstances go for Yokohama Geolandars, they are a pain in the ass, we got 4 of them last year and have had 1 replaced with a conti due to a bubble in the side wall and 2 of them have had slow punctures, and another website to have a look at is www.blackcircles.com

Edited by TheBigYin - 16 Apr 2013 at 11:31am
2009 Qashqai 1.6 Acenta (Orange/Fired Iron), 2008 Vauxhall Zafira 1.9CDTi Sport.
skipfeeney View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipfeeney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 3:14pm
Just out of interest how many miles should i get out of my tyres?  I have a brand new tekna +2, i think they are - Conti Premium something or another.

Are they quite pricey?
2013 Qashqai+2 1.6dci Tekna
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by skipfeeney skipfeeney wrote:

Just out of interest how many miles should i get out of my tyres?  I have a brand new tekna +2, i think they are - Conti Premium something or another.

Are they quite pricey?

17" or 18"  ?

Just replaced all 4 of mine at £170 ish per tyre at Kwik Fit.  They had done 28000 miles.  Front two were barely legal, back two slightly more legal Embarrassed
 EDIT: I'm assuming they were the original tyres from day 1, the original owner may have changed them but 28k seems about right.

Edited by chrisw99 - 16 Apr 2013 at 3:19pm
jbb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2013 at 7:52pm
Just had my front ones done at the weekend, Conts as original, 30,000 on the clock.
2011 1.5dci N-Tec, Magnetic Red, Mud flaps, Internal white LED's and Club sticker.
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:48pm
I get the Continental Premium Contact 2s from Formula One Auto Centre; they will match any price you find, even online. I last paid around £120 per tyre (17 inch).
2008 1.5dci Tekna in Cafe Latte with WHIPPET-CUSTOMISED chocolate leather and added Connect
Stevex View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 10:19am
Thanks for all the recommendations. I've decided to go with the Goodyear Efficientgrips when the time comes. They've had decent write ups and the new tyre ratings give them the better economy, wet grip and less noise than most of the competition. Best price so far is £132 each via Asda's tyre web site, fitted at my local tyre centre.
Steve
Len Ash View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Len Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 9:15pm
My 2012 1.6 DCi (mine from new and I'm the only driver) has 18" Contis. The fronts have done 20000 and will need replacing by 22000/23000 I reckon since they are at 2.5mm. They have worn fairly evenly.

The rears have 6mm (LH one is actually a recent replacement so has nearly 8mm) will likely last 50000 miles.

Lex (and the dealer) will NOT allow tyre rotation. And I'm happy with that.

Note that the outer edges wear more than the inner - this is normal and the effect of in spec toe in.

Edited by Len Ash - 02 May 2013 at 7:20am
2012 1.6 DCi S/S Tekna in White
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:15pm
due to get new tyres on four corners halfords doing good deal at the moment but do i get conti2 or Pirelli Scorpion VerdeXL. 33000 miles out of original contis so quite happy with that. anyone have the pirelli?
2012 QQ+2 flame red N-tec+ 2.0 petrol, CVT, 4wd mudflaps,auto mirror kit
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:29pm
From past experience having Pirelli on other cars they wear down a little faster than the Continentals. Not tried them on the Qashqai though.
YorkshireMan View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YorkshireMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 5:59pm
I've bought 2 sets of tyres in this size for my Qashai.

Both Nokian brand available from www.mytyres.co.uk

Winter Tyres - Nokian WR SUV 3 &

Summer Tyres - Nokian HT SUV

Both these sets of tyres are superb & I can highly recommend both.

The HT SUVs are probably best if you are going to buy just one set for all year round use but the WRS UV 3s are simply excellent in bad winter weather including snow & ice.

Both sets are a decent price. I would probably use these above any other brand at any price.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyres/suv-4x4-tyres/winter-tyres/suv-4x4-renkaat/

http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyres/suv-4x4-tyres/summer-tyres/suv-4x4-renkaat/

Hope this helps. Smile

YorkshireMan.     

Its no good pointing at it on the shelf sir. If the computer says we haven't got it, then we haven't got it.
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2015 at 7:05pm
great thanks for the info
2012 QQ+2 flame red N-tec+ 2.0 petrol, CVT, 4wd mudflaps,auto mirror kit
ChrissH View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrissH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 7:17am
I've just bought two Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres for £111 a tyre  (£222 total) from Blackcircles.com :) 

I think this is a decent price, and the Continentals have lasted an age on my previous cars! 
Chris -
1.6 Acenta Gun Metal Grey, 12 Plate
John C S View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2015 at 10:38am
That's a decent price for Continentals.

The XL Extra Load 18"s are rarely below £155.00 per corner.

I've replaced one this week, at last Michelin have released the Primacy 3 tyre in a 215 55r18 v99 XL size.

If you are a member of Costco, their tyre bay sells them fitted incl of VAT for £143,98.

The rim protection isn't quite as deep as the Continental, but better than the Nangkang Ditchfinder.

Here is a picture.

Energy rating slightly better than the Continentals, let's see how long they last?

John C S

Nissan Qashqai+2 2009 (Pre-facelift) 1.6 n-tec in Pearl Black
BlackTenka Bill View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackTenka Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 6:19pm
Just had my second service at 37k miles. I thought I would need to shell out for at least 2 new front tyers but we're delighted to be advised to check again in 3 months. That will be 40k for a 1.6 dci 4 Wd. Not bad for original Continentals.
1.6 Dci Tekna with 4WD to replace two 1.6 petrol Qashqai Tekna's/Metalic Pearl Black/Mats/No Chrome Trims/Black Roof Rails/Born 31 May 2007, 28 May 2009 and 14 September 2013.
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:31pm
Yes. I reckon the Continentals are the best value all round. Last for ages as you say and you can get them for about £140 each now. Well worth it.
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:26pm
Is the consensus now that the Michelin Primacy 3 is the tyre of choice? looking at the tyre label, it seems to beat the Continental and Pirelli in all ratings..

I cropped it but there's also an unbranded "value tyre" at £83 which is fuel rating E, weather rating B, noise level 72
John C S View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:13pm
The Michelin adds competition where there wasn't a lot before.

Quality is a unknown factor, but Conti and Michelin should both be good.

Never found the Pirelli in stock as I posted previously.

Edited by John C S - 26 May 2015 at 4:13pm
John C S

PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:23pm
I have always found the Michelins to wear quicker than Continentals on previous cars. Never had them on the Qashqai, always Contis.
Spanner View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:17pm
Posted on February 21, 2014 by James Harding

Goodyear, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of tyres, has been chosen as the original equipment (OE) for the Nissan Qashqai.From now, the new models of the Nissan Qashqai will come with EfficientGrip SUV tyres in size 215/60 R17 H as standard.Nissan join Porsche, Aston Martin and Audi (amongst many others) to select Goodyear as OE on their vehicle.

After seeing this I thought I would try two of them to see how they compere to the Bridgestone.
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 6:41pm
Unfortunately Goodyear do not do it in our tyre size though which is 215/55 R18 99V which is a shame. Maybe one day?
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 7:25am
My car was in the garage yesterday for new brakes so I got their report of my tyre condition (the Continentals). Fronts are 5mm and rear 6mm.

Not bad considering they went on in April 2013 and I've done 30000 miles since then.

I did swap front and back around last summer.
John C S View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 7:33am
Conti used to be the sole supplier for the 215/55vr18 xl for the Qashqai+2.
John C S

speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:53am
I made a spreadsheet of tyre prices for my qq+2, maybe it'll help

https://docs.google.com/a/mansfield.co.uk/spreadsheets/d/1uBkm_0YwDXDIETPXBbK5E-W2OwjFfxJsR9iqBpn7ktM/htmlview
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
John C S View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 8:32am
Michelin exist now as well, see my earlier post.
John C S

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:04am
When I bought my QQ+2 the front tyres were fairly thin, so I replaced them once winter set in, putting the rears which were OK on the front.

The fronts have about 6 months to go, so when I replace those I'll be updating my spreadsheet and posting the prices and options I turn up.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:04am
After me having Goodyear for 3 years on the Qashqai I had to switch allegiance to Conti's as the Tyre I wanted was no longer made, and its replacement (which was supposed to be superior) was far from it.
I switched 2 years ago to the ContiCrossContact™ LX 2 and have just had my MOT which showed 7mm all round left on them after 25000 miles.
Fantastic tyre in all weathers (not tried proper snow yet) but rain or shine they hold the road exceptionally well.
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Timmylish View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timmylish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2015 at 1:38am
I really believe that the Conti,s supplied really suit this car perfectly. The freewheeling test which I have done here shows the Conti,s running further than any of the opposition. Generally I think that they are very quiet indeed and lastly I like the way the tyre sits on the Tekna alloys, protecting the rims very well.
Stick with the Conti,s for all the right reasons.
Proud new owner of Red Fusion QQ, 1,5 dCI Tekna Sport (110 CV) (Different spec. here on Tenerife!)with so many bells and whistles I may need a lot of help in finding answers to a lot of questions!!!!
jagr68 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 8:24pm
Ok I know it's been discussed before but was looking for advice on how tyres after only 10k miles from tyres are down to 3mm
Kiki fit are doing the Bridgestone dueller sport for £105 and both continental contact 5 premium or Eco for same price
Which do people recommend had Bridgestone on previous qashqai and got more than 10k miles....
Tyre size are 215/17/60/h any advice appreciated
2008 1.5DCI Acenta Urban Silver!
2011 1.5DCI Acenta magnetic Red!
2014 1.5 DCI Acenta Premium Ink Blue!
2017 1.5Dci N-Connecta _pearl Black
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by jagr68 jagr68 wrote:

Ok I know it's been discussed before but was looking for advice on how tyres after only 10k miles from tyres are down to 3mm

Lots of reasons, hard to identify without more information
* is the Wear even across the width?
* is the Wear even all round as you turn the wheel?
* do you drive a lot on poor roads?
* do you do a lot of high speed driving?

My questions are to look for issues of under our over inflation, tracking, unbalanced wheels, excess wear from rough roads, excess wear from high speed use at high temperatures.
jagr68 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jagr68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 9:26pm
Thanks just normal driving on short journeys.. Wear seems even across tyre and on both tyres check pressure regular at garage and on dashboard .. Have then for fully loaded 33/30 as normally have full boot and two kids in back
Was more wondering what new ones to go for as ? As it had been mentioned new contis only get about 12k!
2008 1.5DCI Acenta Urban Silver!
2011 1.5DCI Acenta magnetic Red!
2014 1.5 DCI Acenta Premium Ink Blue!
2017 1.5Dci N-Connecta _pearl Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic