UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J11 Qashqai 2014 - > Nissan Qashqai J11 Engine Range > 1.2 L Turbo I4 (Petrol)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Nissan CVT Reliability?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nissan CVT Reliability?
    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 7:41pm
I just thought I would share my recent discussions about CVT reliability. I noticed that the issue of Nissan CVT reliability is often mentioned in various media, in particular, recently in the Honest John column in the Saturday telegraph. Apparently the reliability of Nissan CVT is poor?

The latest revelation is that a recommendation was made that the CVT fluid should be changed out every 30,000 miles or 3 years to improve reliability. I did ask the questions of CVT fluid intervals in this forum and told to check the owner handbook, which states 56,000 miles? With my 65 plate N-Connector 1.2 DIGT now 3 and ½ years old I have thought about replacing the CVT fluid based on the above?

Nissan state that only their CVT fluid should be used although there are other brands on the market and from what I can deduce is that the specifications are the same? However, I decided err to on the side of caution and go with Nissan CVT. I contacted my local garage and asked for a quote. I was told that Nissan can only supply CVT fluid in 5 ltrs at £80 inc of VAT, so I would have to purchase 10 ltrs for the 7.5 ltrs the CVT would need (£160) + 1 hour of labour of £78 inc of VAT. 

Before I went ahead, I contacted my local Nissan dealer (Glynn Hopkins, Cambridge) service department and ask what the scheduled interval is for CVT fluid replacement. I did not mention the 56,000 mile interval just to see what response I got. I was told that there isn’t a scheduled interval and was advised that as the CVT was a sealed unit no maintenance was required including fluid replacement.  I mentioned the ‘poor reliability’ and the 30,000 mile interval and it was dismissed – no surprise there really? The service tech asked me for the reg of my car and he told me that recorded against the chassis number of my car is a statement that as long as my car is serviced only by Nissan, Nissan will in an ‘act good will’ replace the CVT gearbox free of charge should it ever fail?  Needless to say I will not be changing out the CVT fluid. Has anyone else been informed of this?  Is it something to do with my particular car and its manufacture date? 

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 10:04am
I had one QQ CVT between my two manual ones, bought it at 4 years old so it was outside of warranty.  Didn't know about the CVT issues till after I'd bought it, and didn't like the whining noise it made all the time which I read could be due to the CVT fluid (which overheats and loses its quality).

Did a lot of research and some of the OEM CVT fluids you can get on ebay are 100% identical to the Nissan fluid.

But there isn't an easy way to replace the fluid.  There was a dipstick cap, so I got a large plastic syringe and plastic tube, stuck it down the hole and sucked a load out, replaced the same quantity also via syringe.

Didn't have any issues with it, other than the whining noise which I hated, so I sold it after a year.

QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
bobzyer-runkle View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzyer-runkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 2:07pm
I can only say that I have had 2 CVT QQ's  over a period of 7 years, and covered a total of 84,000 completely trouble free miles.
2016 QQ 1.6 dCi Tekna Xtronic
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 4:23pm
Likewise here - 5 CVTs and maybe 100k miles over 12 years with no problems (yet).
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
FlyingTiger View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2019 at 7:04pm
Thanks for the feedback - reassuring notwithstanding that I get a new CVT should this one fail? I do wonder where the negativity over Nissan CVTs comes from? I do (as advised) put the CVT into 'N' when stationary in traffic to take the pressure off the electromagnetic clutch and save wear and tear so like you guys with 000's of mile on CVTs all should be well for the next 18 months before I trade it in?  
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:17pm
Didn’t know to put it in N .

I leave it in D and foot on the brake - blinding the folks behind with the brake lights

Edited by G5 BOY - 07 Mar 2019 at 5:17pm
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
FlyingTiger View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 3:22pm
I used to leave it in 'D' and light up the vehicle behind but I read one or two articles about CVTs, the last one was on the 'Honest John' website about negating wear and tear on the e-clutch? So now selecting 'N' is now just habit.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic