Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Noise from front - anti-roll bar bushes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noise from front - anti-roll bar bushes?
    Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 1:34pm
Just had the car MOT'd by local garage prior to booking a Service at Nissan and prior to the Warranty expiring (just in case something was found).

They have advised that the OSF & NSF Anti Roll Bar link rods are worn.
Spoke to the Technician and he said they are only slightly worn, and this would also account for the vibrating/knocking sound I experience on uneven roads.
Now I doubt I could get this done under warranty, but was just wondering two things...

Does anyone know if this is a big job to do, and expensive
And if I was to leave it until after the holiday in June (Driving to France) what the effect would be if they were to wear a lot more.

2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
nige65 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nige65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:31pm
Also did you notice that new mot has advisory printed on mot so if your selling you have to show these faults now before you could lose the advisory slip as my brother has found out LOL

Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 7:23pm

I got my anti roll bar link replaced under warranty...
2008 1.5dci Tekna in Cafe Latte with WHIPPET-CUSTOMISED chocolate leather and added Connect
belmont View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 7:55pm
hi gadget, when my 57 . 1.5dci. had its M.O.T.in December they put an advisor on my near side anti roll bar. the dealer cost i was told fitted was 85. i too have a knocking sound sometimes. it went for a health check last month and i was told it is only a slight wear and just see how it goes. so i will.hope this helps.
1.5.dci accent blue
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 10:36am
Thanks for the replies guys....
At 85.00 just for one side belmont mentioned I think I may push for it to be done on Warranty...

The technician said mine is only slight wear as well and not detremnetal but with a long trip in June coming up I'd rather have it sorted...

Thumbs Up
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:30pm
Funny. My car was handling badly and smacking-and-banging around a lot. This is what had worn out on mine, too. At about 70k miles, I think.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:47pm
Mines only just tipped 50k, but it is 5 years old...
Will be ringing garage this afternoon to see if they'll honour a fix.
Hope so.
benz1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 12:54pm
Righty,

Anyone had any issues with front anti-roll bar bushes or links requiring replacement?

Or any other suspension or steering parts?

Knocking getting progressively worse - only over uneven surfaces - quiet on the flat.

Rear shocks done a few months back.

Car has ~60k miles on it now.
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:30pm
I had my anti roll bar link replaced under warranty at around 25K miles. This was about a year ago and I can't find the thread but it does seem a few people have had similar issues!
2008 1.5dci Tekna in Cafe Latte with WHIPPET-CUSTOMISED chocolate leather and added Connect
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 5:09pm
Gemma - One of your posts was  under:

Creaking from front when reversing on full lock

in Faults and Fixes

Edited by Fee - 02 Apr 2012 at 5:09pm
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011..1.6Dig-T Tekna 2018
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 7:45pm
I found that one.... http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/creaking-from-front-when-reversing-on-full-lock_topic8180.html

There's also this one http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/front-end-creaking-warranty_topic7772.html but it seems it turned out to be some sort of metal cover on the brakes - Heat Shield?

And this one with issues - again Gemmas response in there: http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/rattles_topic6330.html

Couple of Posts here too... http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/rattling-noise-from-front_topic6120.html

And yet another.... http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/anti-roll-bars-warranty_topic8253.html

Not sure if the MODs want to move my" MOT Advisory" posts into here to keep it together and tidy?

Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:28pm

Hmm,i think that one was the steering screw recall (just off the top of my head); thought I had a different thread for the anti roll bar link issue but maybe not!
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 8:30pm
Must admit, thats the issue. because people dont search, the same issues are in 100 places...... Am still trawling through though

Fee x
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011..1.6Dig-T Tekna 2018
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 11:58pm
Your right....
Gemma, having just read it through again, that was the steering screw issue, you just mentioed the anti roll bars in it... and Fee, there's a fare few threads with variables of the search I've done - nightmare.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 9:54pm
Garage have said that had the car failed the MOT they would have done the Rollbar Links without hesitation.... as it passed, it depends how bad they are as to whether they will!! Angry

Feels and sounds bad enough to me so I'm going to push!!!
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 12:00am
Yeah. Mine handled like a Tesco trolley when they were knackered. It's not exactly a Gazelle of a car at the best of times (nature of the beast, I'm afraid) but it was truly horrible with them gone.

gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 12:09pm
They've agreed to take a look and see if they are worn enough to warrant a claim... fingers crossed. 
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 11:17am
Car had it's service yesterday - did a great job......
They couldn't do the Anti Roll bar links as they hadn't heard from the warranty Company (or hadn't phoned them???)
They rang this morning and have told me the Warrant Company say its a serviceable part and is not covered Disapprove
I asked for costs, they just rang back and have quoted 38.72 +VAT each side, but they won't charge me for fitting. I asked if it was worth me speaking to the Warranty Department to see if they would at least go halves as (a) they must have been worn slightly at purchase and (b) they were advised on the MOT.
He has asked me to send a copy of the Advisory to him and he would try again....
Now just got to wait.

2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 12:40pm
Just how the heck are Anti Roll Bar links a "Service Part" - do they consider them to be a consumable?

gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 1:44pm
Don't ask me 2fat, you know how (un)knowledgeable I am about cars!!!
Apparently its "Serviceable" because it "wears" ???

Anyway - more good news from the dealer - after emailing a copy of my MOT with the Advisory on, they have now approved the repair under warranty!!
Result!!
Cowpers View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
THE DARK LORD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cowpers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 2:59pm
According to that definition there is nothing on a car that isn't 'servicable'?
Still no matter..you got a result...they probably sent someone on here to have a read and decided against the fob off approach.  Gadget seems like you've struck a winner with these posts about services and MOTs.. nice one.
1.5Dci Tekna, Pearl Black, 60 Plate
1.6Dci Tekna with Stop/Start Pearl Black 63 plate
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 4:23pm
I'll always give credit where its due - and they PLATINUM NISSAN IN BOX (in case you're reading LOL) are due it! But, I'll always be the one to kick off when I think things are unfair.

This time, I played the long game - I have been very patient with them, have never raised my voice, never chased them more than once a month.
I think this has been recognised and has paid off for me... and at the same time got them a good Rep!!
Definitely worth a post on here - and thanks to all here too for help and advice! Thumbs Up

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by benz1 benz1 wrote:

Righty,

Anyone had any issues with front anti-roll bar bushes or links requiring replacement?

Or any other suspension or steering parts?

Knocking getting progressively worse - only over uneven surfaces - quiet on the flat.

Rear shocks done a few months back.

Car has ~60k miles on it now.

Dragging up an old thread... my front roll bar bushes being replaced today, as I was getting scraping/screeching noises going over speed bumps, 28K on the clock.  Will be done for free as I'm still within my 3 months used car warranty.

I was trying to determine if it was the left side or right side by driving just one wheel over at a time, and it was as smooth as butter.  It was only when both wheels went up at the same time it made the noise.

Trevorm View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 3:32pm
Had the drop links replaced today on both sides, made a big difference. Mechanic showed me the old ones and there was a lot of movement on them. Parts were 28 and labour 40, car much better after it.
2009 1.5 DCi Acenta, Grey
Derekh4 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derekh4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 12:09pm
Yep. Me too. My recently purchased '10 plate 1.5 DCI is making annoying knocking noise on rough roads. Just had it checked and front bushes are very worn. Going back to the dealer where I bought it next week.
Worst thing is that they MOT'd it when I bought it 2 weeks ago and it was not flagged up as an advisory point.
Not impressed!

Edited by Derekh4 - 29 Sep 2013 at 12:12pm
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 3:23pm
Yes Nissan damaged my front brush bars, ( cars not me personally) he he! When up on ramps for timing belt issue, tried to wriggle out, but I insisted it was fine before, no knocking noise, so they did come eventually to the conclusion it was them!! Luckily I had the sense to do a 'u' turn on same day, back to garage, our Nissan local garage is on our industrial trading estate and some roads are smooth then change to rough and bumpy, so when I got to the rough part, car no happy bunny!!! Allways get your ears out on stalks when picking up your car from garage after my experience, westover are great in many ways, I will return my car to them in November for service but any more problems, this said girl will think again, big one next time too, yikes for purse!!!
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 3:58pm
Mine has been making a strange rattly/knocking noise from around the front driver's side wheel for a while now, espcially over uneven road surfaces. I don't think it's the same noise as before I had my anti roll bar link replacement. I mentioned it when I had my car serviced bak in July and they couldn't replicate the noise but it's definitely still there!
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:23pm
Apparently Gemma, when our cars go up on the ramps, thease can jarr cars and a displacement and disturbance off brush/anti roll can happen. So iff your car hasn't been right since last visit. Then I would suspect they are to blame. Iff your car went up on the ramp hon. Don't know how you are going to approach them as a while now since July. It's an intermittent problem. Took serious bumps for my car to make that knocking noise, but luckily a short distance from my Nissan as posted above, problem was highlighted within minutes. Good luck may have genuine worn parts, we had problems with last car, and had to pay for some part, not hugely expensive. X
Gemma View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Graphs R Us

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gemma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 3:46pm
It was making the noise before I took it to be serviced; I asked them to look into it and they couldn't find anything (or hear the noise). It's definitely still doing it though!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic