UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > Nissan Qashqai J10 Engine Range > 1.6 L HR16DE I4 (Petrol)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Noise with CVT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noise with CVT
    Posted: 16áMayá2016 at 2:23pm
Can anyone who owned/owns a 2013ish 1.6 petrol with CVT tell me how they are supposed to sound?

I have just purchased one secondhand and I am worried the whining is a symptom of a problem, although the salesman I bought it from tells me it's normal with a metal-belt driven transmission.

The 1.6 engine is SO quiet I cannot hear any engine noise whatsoever from within the cabin, so it's probably making the CVT noise more apparent.

Basically the noises I am hearing are
a) at low speeds, typically 10-20 mph, if I gently rev I hear a wooo wooo kind of siren noise (the classic turbo siren type of noise)
b) If I ram my foot down for a 0-60mph type takeoff, it sounds like a jet engine/dentists drill until up to about 50mph.   I don't hear any other noises so maybe this is what the engine itself sounds like rather than the CVT??

Reading a few reviews of the newer CVTs they say they are not as "whiny" and noisy as the predecessors, which implies the older version was whiny and noisy

Googling CVT whine mentions it could be a problem if you start to get an audible whine at higher speed (fluid overheating etc), but my whine is at low speeds both cold and hot.

It was only serviced at Nissan for it's 3rd service about 7 weeks ago by the previous owner and had a clean bill of health. I rang that dealer and was told they don't do CVT fluid checks till 54K miles (mines done 38K), so if it's a problem with low/bad fluid it's not an issue that will be checked for another 12 months.

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áMayá2016 at 4:13pm
I just found this on Nissan's USA site describing the CVT...

http://www.nissanusa.com/blog/cvt-continuously-variable-transmission

Itĺs the sound of innovation
Because the CVT is different than a traditional automatic transmission, it sounds different than a traditional automatic transmission. It emits a distinctive, almost "high-tech" sounding single transmission tone that changes pitch as the transmission cycles up and down the gear ratios.

So - what does a "high tech", single tone changing pitch sound like then? A siren, like I hear?

chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áJuná2016 at 10:08am
I finally got around to making a video of the "noise" my CVT makes.  Can someone else with a 1.6 petrol CVT tell me if it's similar...

I'm not talking about the deeper rumbley engine noise, but the high pitch whistly noise that starts rising in pitch from about 4 seconds.

This does seem to match Nissan's brochure description " It emits a distinctive, almost "high-tech" sounding single transmission tone that changes pitch as the transmission cycles up and down the gear ratios"

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áJuná2016 at 4:11pm
Had a pm chat with Chris about this and I did test drive a 2013 1.6 CVT but can't recall any adverse noises.

Anyone?

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áJuná2016 at 4:22pm
I wouldn't say it's an adverse noise as such, just annoying to my sensitive ears, and to me it sounds exactly like the brochure description...

Itĺs the sound of innovation
Because the CVT is different than a traditional automatic transmission, it sounds different than a traditional automatic transmission. It emits a distinctive, almost "high-tech" sounding single transmission tone that changes pitch as the transmission cycles up and down the gear ratios.

You gotta love those guys in marketing. CVT makes an annoying noise as it's a steel belt on a steel pulley, so lets call it the sound of innovation. I think another manufacturer using the same CVT compares it to "spaceship-like".

In fact if you whizz this video onto 2:40 when they start it up, you can see the CVT in action making quite a bit of similar noise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47caRqbbnE

Anujvasu04 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anujvasu04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03áJulá2016 at 8:16pm
Does the new 1.2l xtronic also suffers from same problem.

I'm planning buy 1.2l automatic. General review is very good but can anyone who owns this car give their opinion whether it is good car for mototrway as well. I plan to use it mainly for city but will do 1-2 long trips very month.

Dealership is suggesting me to not take diesel as my monthly travelling would be less than 400 miles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic