UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > Nissan Qashqai J10 Engine Range > 1.6 L HR16DE I4 (Petrol)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Opinions on 1.6 Engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 11:34pm
Hi olivenpopeye,
Understand your concern, my 1.6 isnt the +2 but I was towing a caravan I dont think the +2 would be heaver than mine towing a caravan, just a point Ermm
Toontitan View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toontitan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 12:32am
Hi Olivenpopeye

I have a QQ+2 1.6, and to be totally honest I think it is a little underpowered, but as I have previously been driving turbo charged Volvo's and Saab's, then most vehicles would seem sluggish.

That said, I regularly travel with 7 in the vehicle (around 75 stone or so in body weight!) including a recent 300 mile round trip to Lincolnshire, and it coped admirably. The only thing I can really say is that you will encounter a few more gear changes than you possibly would in a more powerful vehicle, but that isn't the end of the world. Make sure that you run the engine in properly and you will find that it is a willing and eager engine. The 1.5 diesel option will cause you more problems than it is worth based on your predominantly local miles.

BTW, yesterday 5 adults (about 63 stones) went to the local Costco cash and carry and filled the boot to the roof with an absolutely ridiculously heavy load (which was possibly over it's legal weight capacity), and again it coped without any problems on the trip back home.

Take the 1.6 and enjoy the higher spec model, you won't be disappointed. Big smile
UrbanNomad View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 11:50am
If your mileage is relatively high extra urban, then the diesel might be a better option. Now that the 1.5 diesel has a particulate filter as standard, only time will tell whether it's problem free, as the 2 litre versions have been plagued with complaints from disgruntled owners.

To put the 1.6 Qashqai into context, until the Golf Mk 6 was launched in early 2009 it beat the Ford Focus, Toyota Auris and Mk 5 Golf ( with 1.6 petrol engines ) for refinement. How many people would criticise a Golf,  believing it to be a refined quality product?  I've  no issues with the performance /  economy of this engine as it makes for a great all rounder, with the added piece of mind of Nissan's respected reliability.  The diesel engine as I'm sure your aware is a joint venture with Renault, I personally wanted as close to 100% Nissan as possible, therefore a French engine was a not an option.

The stop / start technology will give even better fuel returns, but in all honesty if you think a  1.6 Focus is cheap to own, the Qashqai will be cheaper still  ( from own experience ). I would not describe the engine as underpowered but more leisurely, which suits fine. Currently after having it's 1st service  I'm getting 35.5 mpg an increase from 29-31 mpg around town. At motorway speeds there is a distinct whine to the engine note, a member said it sounded like a plane taking off  LOL, but again this is not really an issue for me ( part of it's  character ) . Test drive both the petrol and diesel, factor in your annual mileage and then decide.

If rock solid reliability, acceptable performance / refinement and economy are top of your list, then the 1.6 petrol wont disappoint.   Smile

Bling-free 2009 QQ Acenta 1.6 called Tyson in Faded Denim, still looking box fresh!
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 8:27am
Anyone else spotted that when the QQ+2 first appeared the petrol  version was ONLY available with the 2.0 engine.  From the Nissan website it appears it is now ONLY available (I'm talking about the petrol version NOT the diesel version) with the 1.6 engine!

Edited by PeterWestSussex - 22 Aug 2010 at 7:36pm
1.6Tekna, Blade Silver+ESP+SatNav+ MetaSR2Targa parking sensors, .P/X'd Nov 2012 because we just didn't need or use the car to its full potential!
wazza2004 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wazza2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 11:10am
You are wrong, just checked now. There are 8 Q+2 available in 4 trim levels
wazza2004 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wazza2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 11:11am
edit to above post - to add ''th 1.6 petrol engines''
L8RBB View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8RBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 8:34pm
Guys, as I've posted on the 1.6 engine part, the new 1.6 117 ps engine is the pits. Sorry to all you, like me, who have this engine but it is not a patch on my 1.6 115 ps engine, that I used to own ( 09 n tec 1.6 115 ps - now own 60 1.6 117 ps n tec ). Like it has been reported, the gearing is different probably to get the c02 emmisions down, hence the road tax band has dropped. I too am struggling when approaching hills, where the 09 n tec flew up them.
Wish I could get my old car back!!!!!!!!!
Bowler View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 10:53pm
Looks like being the 2.0 D next time for me
Ex owner of Acenta 1.6 Flame red, with Panoramic roof.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 1:10pm
L8RBB you are spot on, the gearing has been altered to achieve lower emissions and an extra couple of mpg over the 115bhp version. I think it's a bit awkward for Nissan ( no I do not work for them Embarrassed ) in that the QQ crosses a few boundaries. So someone changing from a standard mid sized hatch will almost expect similar economy in the larger QQ. Performance will take a slight hit, but perhaps the majority will welcome the extra mpg  and happily accept an increased 0-60mph time? Overall the power output of the new unit is up, so I guess it's just the way in which it's delivered that makes it appear less powerful.

The 1.6 petrol is the default engine if diesel is not your thing, trying to find a happy medium to please all will always prove difficult, but every manufacturer is trying to eek the most mpg out of their engines especially in the current climate.

I've got the 115bhp version and agree with you regarding hills etc, I've got no complaint here it gets the job done although at times it can be quite vocal! LOL

Peace Smile

Bling-free 2009 QQ Acenta 1.6 called Tyson in Faded Denim, still looking box fresh!
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 1:13pm

i havent seen my 1.6 117 engine struggle at all on hills? and i live in a small village built on a hill

i havent driven the 115 so thats probably why it doesnt feel like its struggling as im not comparing it to the other one.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 1:27pm
Hi Craig, I've always felt the 1.6 engine has struck the right balance for performance / economy. The QQ is a bit on the hefty side, and the 1.6 pulls well considering. Perhaps L8RBB's QQ will loosen up in time as in theory the engine should have more oomph!
Still would be my engine of choice, apart from having a squealing aux belt replaced under warranty ages ago ( well known issue now resolved ) it has been 100% boringly reliable LOL

Peace Smile

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 1:32pm
U.N

mine has only done about 400 miles so far. maybe mine will loosen a bit in time aswell
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 2:40pm
I've done 11800 miles so far, 2nd service due next month. After the first service there was an increase in mpg around town from 31mpg to around 34ish, this has dropped again, but I put that down to the cold weather. The engine  has loosened up nicely to be flexible enough to cope with all situations, I do like the factory fresh feeling though after it's been  serviced. Smile

malice8585 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malice8585 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 3:26pm
Im a little dissapointed by the performance and mpg of the 1.6+2 only got 28mpg and been driving like a old man.

Has anyone else noticed a sudden surge in power when you get to 3200rpm.

Also does anyone know if there is any truth in being a renault engine?
QQ+2 white visia (ordered start of sept expected end of nov) Order Canceled
QQ+2 white acenta Ordered 17th November expected 25th Jan
Collected 2PM on 29/01/11
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 3:36pm
hi malice,

yes there is extra power in the 3000+ rpm range.. my last car was the same, and i see that as standard on most cars ive driven..  wouldnt call it a sudden surge but deffinately more power.

and no, the 1.6 is a nissan engine. the 1.5dci is the renault engine mate.
L8RBB View Drop Down
Acenta
Acenta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8RBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 5:11pm
Urbanomad, I think your right. I'm maybe complaining too soon as I've only clocked 600 miles. The engine will probably still be tight so I'll wait until I've put another 1000 miles on the clock and see if there is a difference. It's true though, when you hit 3200 revs the car starts to pull away quicker.
Anyhow, I still love the car and as we only do up to 8000 miles per year, the 1.6 is all we need.
By the way, I take it back, I don't want my old car back. Being miffed about the power of the 117 was probably down to me having a go in my mates 1.4 supercharged turbo charged Ibiza bocanegre. The power is awesome!
Bowler View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by CraigQQ CraigQQ wrote:

i havent seen my 1.6 117 engine struggle at all on hills? and i live in a small village built on a hill

i havent driven the 115 so thats probably why it doesnt feel like its struggling as im not comparing it to the other one.
Looks like being a Top Gear style drag race at the summer meet CraigWink
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 6:42pm
Do you think you stand a chance against a 2L thenErmm

Edited by mohawk - 20 Feb 2011 at 6:42pm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
Bowler View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 6:46pm
Only like for like with the 1.6 115 v 117
May get off the line quicker but the 2.0l will just eat up the 1.6 even if it got a bad start (but then theres always Nitro)
mohawk View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
White Rose.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mohawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 6:56pm
Oh Nitro yepErmm
2010 QQ+2 Tekna, Magnetic Red, 2L petrol,CVT,4WD. Chrome side bars,sill strips, rear door grip, tailgate strip, front and rear entry guards,front foglight bezels.Proud Owner.SAC Member.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 7:03pm
lol im reckoning this wont be such an exillerating high speed drag race in two 1.6 QQ's bowler
Bowler View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 7:44pm
May need to strip of all the bling and remove rear seats may even go on a diet, power to weight and all thatBig smile
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 7:50pm
save the biggest amount of wieght bowler... take the engine out.. bet that will give some amount of wieght saving...
get CF and hamish to give you a push instead or cut two holes in the floor and fred flintstone it.

Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 8:17pm
i was impressed with my sisters 1.6 qq but not driven the new version
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 10:56pm
The power band of Petrol is usually higher revs than diesel - so 3200rpm to about 5500 rpm is the peak power band - with most nearing the red line.

On diesels the power band is much lower usually 1700rpm to 3000rpm. This is why to keep up with a diesel requires you, pardon the language, to rev the nuts off it - in order to reach your power band.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:03am
Originally posted by mohawk mohawk wrote:

Do you think you stand a chance against a 2L thenErmm

Yep because that thirsty beast will run out of juice before the finish line!  Wink

Peace

hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:07am
LOL
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:07am
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:08am
never thought of that. i can't afford a drag race bowler not by the time of the meet anyway.. petrol will be about £10 a litre by then
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:13am
LOL It's criminal really, the geezer that changes the prices on petrol forecourts might as well not come down from his ladder!

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:16am
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UrbanNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 12:20am
Seriously, I went past Tesco petrol station the other day, and the price "board" was spinning like a one armed bandit! 

sdyson31 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdyson31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 4:43pm

Hi,

We (2 Adults + 2 Kids) have decided to go for used Nissan QQ, our budget is around £7500. I have done bit of research and on my budget i can get QQ with 50k Mileage (model 07 - 09).

I like N Tec 1.6 Petrol model as it comes with Sat Nav and panoramic roof.

I will mostly be driving to work which is 8 miles away and may be odd long journeys in a year.

Can anyone please recommend us if we go for 1.6 Petrol or 1.5 Diesel? I have heard that diesel is good for long journeys.

G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 5:23pm
I've had neither, so you might want to wait for someone who has, but generally............

1.6 petrol - needs an extra gear, as it is OK around town but struggles on motorways.

1.5 diesel - power and economy, but if you have an early one with a DPF then it may need the occasional blast over 50 to clear the filter (well documented elsewhere here).

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
sdyson31 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdyson31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

I've had neither, so you might want to wait for someone who has, but generally............

1.6 petrol - needs an extra gear, as it is OK around town but struggles on motorways.

1.5 diesel - power and economy, but if you have an early one with a DPF then it may need the occasional blast over 50 to clear the filter (well documented elsewhere here).

After reading this following post, i won't go for diesel.

http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/dpf-problems_topic1152.html

Is there any big difference b/w 1.6 petrol and 2.0 petrol engine from mpg point of view? If i am driving within the city then would 1.6 give better mpg?

Edited by sdyson31 - 15 May 2016 at 5:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic