UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Owners questions?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Panoramic roof

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbor47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panoramic roof
    Posted: 12áSepá2012 at 10:55pm
We are soon buying a Qashqai and we're interested in getting one with a panoramic roof. We realised that they're less common than the usual metal roof. Are there any disadvantages with panoramic roofs?
Lanarkboy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanarkboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 5:10am
Hi Mbor  i have not had any problems as yet with mine. Were you live it would be an advantage with the sun you get Cool  only disadvantage or handicap is if you dont like cleaning glass LOL
I would recommend it

Edited by Lanarkboy - 13áSepá2012 at 5:12am
Tea is for Mugs !
'2012 Pearl Black 1.6 N-Tec+ Special Edition '( Well thats what it says on the paperwork! )
Grumpy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 9:39am
Hi Mbor, as above plus it brightens your day a little in winter. Not had any problems with mine.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy.

QQ Tekna 1.6 2008. Burnt Orange. No mods or bling.
Applauso View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
NO STRESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Applauso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 9:45am
Only a real benefit for the back seat passengers. Good for plane spotting!
1.6 Tekna Gun metallic
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 10:00am
Lovely addition to have. 

Not just as a 'sun' roof but also on a starry night as a 'moon' roof. 

Here in England it's more of a 'rain' roof though. 

PS: No disadvantages that I've come across, only see it as an advantage.  

Edited by allan40alt - 13áSepá2012 at 10:01am
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
RayBanJockey View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 12:47pm
I wonder if you get more road noise in the cabin with a glass roof?

---------------

2011 Nightshade 2WD M/T 2.0 petrol 2012 - White - Tekna - 2.0 - CVT - 4WD
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 12:53pm
I reckon slightly more road noise with glass roof and blind open. Nothing out of the ordinary though.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 12:54pm
can't say I've noticed any dis-advantage of a panoramic roof.. I love mine, makes the interior feel more light and airy.. more spacious (although with a metal roof you might have an extra inch of headroom which would do the same?)

and everyone that gets in the car is impressed :lol: my mate was getting out yesterday and just noticed it as he was getting out.. he thought it was awesome.
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 1:21pm
Cons: It does make the car slightly more noisy & it does make the stereo a bit more tinny (as it reduces the soft furnishing inside the car). It is also quite a heavy roof (compared to a normal roof) and it raises the center-of-gravity of the car, making it roll a bit more than normal. It also gets VERY hot in bright sun and in cold weather you can literally feel the cold air dropping off it onto the occupants. In sunny weather you can get sunburn through it, and the vehicles air con struggles to cope. Closing the shade helps somewhat - but then what's the point in having it in the first place? - usually this is only a problem at the extremes of normal temperatures experienced in Britain.

Pro: It does make the car very nice and "airy" with the shade open. Rear seat passengers will love it and it makes the car feel vastly less claustrophobic than rear seats generally are. Kids think it's amazing and can watch planes etc through it. The shade means that some of the "cons" can be moderated to some extent, and is very cool to use!

Conclusion: Sometimes I really like mine, but during the summer I left it closed and in the midwinter I did, too. When I drive a car without it I don't miss it, and I absolutely wouldn't bother to spec it if ordering a new car. However. It wouldn't stop me buying a car, either. Although i'd prefer a conventional, opening sunroof if I'm honest!

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 1:41pm
the extra noise could be caused by the bigger wheels though, 
I have never experienced a "tinny" sound from the Bose system in the Tekna... even turned up full(to demonstrate how great it is)
lorra View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lorra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 3:19pm
Hi i have once. not had any problems. not notice a differnce in driving eitherEmbarrassed

Edited by lorra - 13áSepá2012 at 3:20pm
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 4:50pm
me neither , love mine and its the main reason i would not drop below n-tec+/tekna levels as i love the glass roof
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by CraigQQ CraigQQ wrote:

the extra noise could be caused by the bigger wheels though,á
I have never experienced a "tinny" sound from the Bose system in the Tekna... even turned up full(to demonstrate how great it is)

The Bose system is pretty good. But I have the ntec, which doesn't have this.

It's sound quality is mediocre at best, and having the roof open definately emphasises the top notes. Nothing that rolling off the treble a notch or two won't deal with, though. And - yes - the low-profile tyres contribute to the road noise, and this is made worse when the roof is open. Not enough to make you close the roof to get away from it, but it's noticable. Like the difference between a room will curtains & wallpaper, and one without.
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 5:32pm
Can't say that I've ever noticed any difference except that it does feel a little cool when I first open it. But that's mainly due to the sensors in my bald head. 

Never felt the need to close it because of heat on my head on even the hottest of days.

As for music; well I can't tell there's any difference open or closed.

I do like watching the rain hammering on it when stuck in traffic.  I wax mine the same as the paintwork and you can watch the globules run off from underneath. LOL

2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 6:50pm
..... I cant reach the roof.
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 6:57pm
Love it Thumbs Up
Almost as good as the wheels on the N-Tec LOL
2012 QQ+2 flame red N-tec+ 2.0 petrol, CVT, 4wd mudflaps,auto mirror kit
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 7:00pm
I do like the panoramic roof, its better than a soft top because in Glasgow, it always rains.

Gives the car a more light and airy feeling. I love it!!!

Edited by Fee - 13áSepá2012 at 7:13pm
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 7:11pm
It's the Nads!!!!.......
2011 Qashqai 2.0Ntec+2,Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs 6.5yrs off happy 7 Seater motoring and still looks the nads..👍
sandman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 7:26pm
There is only one neg I can think of and thats on a really hot sunny day(very rare) it does make the leather seats really hot
Othetwise ...love it.

Edited by sandman - 13áSepá2012 at 7:27pm
2014 Pearl Black Qashqai Premier Limited Edition 1.6Dci 4WD...Born on the 01/02/14 now with new carer on 27/6/16.
Proud owner of 2016 Pearl White X-Trail N-Tec
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13áSepá2012 at 9:47pm
The sliding roof blind is great for keeping my 2yr old grandson quiet when he's feeling restless strapped in his rear babyseat.  He loves watching it slide back and forth, but I worry I will burn out the motor before he grows out of the novelty.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áSepá2012 at 3:45pm
Not wanting to knock it (because i love it) but in a Hot Country, wouldn't it be a disadvantage because it would heat the car up more??
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
samnickgodber View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samnickgodber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14áSepá2012 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by gadget gadget wrote:

Not wanting to knock it (because i love it) but in a Hot Country, wouldn't it be a disadvantage because it would heat the car up more??

I was just about to point this out lol, living here in Tenerife i have only had my blind open maybe 6 times as it just gets too hot inside the car and the aircon struggles,,,
The aircon can struggle sometimes over here anyway when we get a heatwave and the temp is over 100, you just stay indoors x
soon to be the new owner of a 2011 Ntec in artic white
Lanarkboy View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lanarkboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áSepá2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Fee Fee wrote:

..... I cant reach the roof.

Booster seat Fee !!  Wink Big smile
Tea is for Mugs !
'2012 Pearl Black 1.6 N-Tec+ Special Edition '( Well thats what it says on the paperwork! )
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áSepá2012 at 7:07pm
So - how hot/sunny is Malta?

gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15áSepá2012 at 9:48pm
Better than here - but thats not hard.... LOL

2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
brainzzz View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brainzzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áSepá2012 at 10:35am
i spoke to my brother yesterday he lives in malta and he was telling me that the rain last week flooded locally to him and was enough to over turn two cars......
Technics View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Technics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áSepá2012 at 11:01am

Talking of Malta. I was in the navy many many years ago and a shipmate met and married a local girl when we were stationed in Malta. Some time later his wife asked what an owl was as she had never seen or heard of them. He described the owl in great detail and to finish off cupped his hands together , blew into them and explained that is was the noise an owl makes. She replied - "What, with its hands"?????????????????? It still makes me smile nearly fifty years on.
Mike
2009 Qashqai N-Tec - Silver - 1.6 Petrol
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áSepá2012 at 2:03pm
I wouldn't but one for Malta! - it would be like driving around in a greenhouse!
Glenn79 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29áOctá2012 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by 2Fat2Bald 2Fat2Bald wrote:

I wouldn't but one for Malta! - it would be like driving around in a greenhouse!

Didn't think about that when i bought it

But i'm sure it will be fine during winter, spring and autumn
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áOctá2012 at 12:00am
I wonder if you could get some kind of white shade to do on the outside to try to cut down the effect a bit?

Allan_P View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áOctá2012 at 3:17am
To put Malta weather in to perspective compared to Australian weather the results of University of Queensland research:

At an ambient temp of 32.5 degrees C the following temperatures were recorded.

Vehicle internal temp = 75.1C
Steering Wheel surface temp = 82.6C

As it can frequently reach 42 plus even in the southern states, one can only wonder about the effect of a glass sunroof.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áOctá2012 at 5:47am
Have it closed during hot days and open during nights and not so hot days.

---------------

Glenn79 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áOctá2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by RayBanJockey RayBanJockey wrote:

Have it closed during hot days and open during nights and not so hot days.

Yes, that's what I planned to do. At least it's white and not black, so that will surely help.

Otherwise, from October to May, having the rooftop open will be alrite.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áOctá2012 at 12:37pm
Yes and even though it's called a "sun" roof, during the night you have lights from lamp posts and inside tunnels, and stars (and other assorted cra... eer, pretty things). I'd even go so far as to say that sunroofs, they're at their best at night!

---------------

Glenn79 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30áOctá2012 at 12:45pm
I agree...at the end of the day, as I see it, it's better to have it than not, since anyway you could always close it when you're not using it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic