Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Petrol Heads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

PETROL STATION PROBLEM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qashqaiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PETROL STATION PROBLEM
    Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:55pm
last monday oct 8th i visited a shell petrol station in swindon and filled the qashqai up with fuel at pump 8 i went to pay for the fuel at No8 and the cashier said it was £14:05 to which i paid on card and left. today wed 17th i had a phone call from the police asking me if i owned a black qashqai and did i get petrol from the shell station it appears she looked at the wrong pump which was 7 which i say is her mistake not mine ,the police has asked me to go to petrol station to sort it out with them apparently i owe £21
does anyone know where i stand with this one
2011 qashqai tekna 1.6 dci black. with chrome fog light surrounds front & rear.sidebars.number plate surrounds door sill guards.
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:58pm
Hmmm.. legally I have no idea but who hasnt felt a wee bit pleased to get something cheaper than they expected..

I would have thought tough on them, it was their problem....

Good luck though, keep us posted.. especially if the police were involved

Fee x

2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:01pm
if you paid 14.05 but actually put in 35.05 then yes you would owe the difference i would think , although you didnt commit an offence and it was a mistake on the cashiers behalf you should of checked your receipt and brought it to there attention so you are partly at fault , no harm done though just pay them and forget it buddy
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:19pm
Cooome on now Steve......you thought youd got away with it and youve been caught with your pants down........

.....pay up, ya tight git!!......Wink LOL

Edited by Affman - 17 Oct 2012 at 6:21pm
2011 Qashqai 2.0Ntec+2,Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs 6.5yrs off happy 7 Seater motoring and still looks the nads..👍
RussH View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Zeke N. Yeshallfind

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:26pm
Don't know why the police are getting involved in what is a civil matter..

As I see it, you put £35-worth of fuel into your tank. You intended to buy that £35-worth, You didn't due to human error at the station. You could just pay up [after all, you will have lost nothing]. You could try refusing. They could try taking you to civil court for restitution [if so, the losing party may be lumbered with costs]. They could decide to do nothing as far as you are concerned.

That said, if you decide not to make payback yourself, the only certain loser in this matter will be the cashier, who will have the money taken out of his/her pay packet . Your call. I guess?

Edited by RussH - 17 Oct 2012 at 6:29pm
Magnetic red Nissan Qashqai +2 2.0 petrol N-Tec 5dr 4WD CVT [Accepted delivery from new on 16th Apr 2012].
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:31pm
looks like some kids are going Hungry this week then.....ErmmLOL
2011 Qashqai 2.0Ntec+2,Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs 6.5yrs off happy 7 Seater motoring and still looks the nads..👍
..QQ.. View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..QQ.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 7:16pm
Yup caught fair and square - don't think this is a police matter, they would have just looked up the car reg on Police National Computer (PNC) and contacted you - issue is between you, petrol station and your wallet Wink
2012 QQ+2 flame red N-tec+ 2.0 petrol, CVT, 4wd mudflaps,auto mirror kit
RayBanJockey View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 7:17pm
I would pay up.

But I would also expect an apology for the inconvenience of having to go back, and also for being made out to be a crook which honestly happened the moment the petrol station called the cops on you - it's their mistake not yours. Actually while you're at it, how about asking them to reduce the amount you owe them by the amount the petrol costs you to go back and forth to the station?

---------------

2011 Nightshade 2WD M/T 2.0 petrol 2012 - White - Tekna - 2.0 - CVT - 4WD
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 7:26pm
im guessing that as his pump wasnt paid for for they probably just reported it as a theft (filling up and driving away without paying) not even realising he entered the garage and paid for the wrong pump (cashiers error) as if they knew he paid something it wouldnt be a police matter just there fault and they would have had to suffer the loss

i agree with rbj that they should compensate you with the cost of returning Thumbs Up
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
qashqaiman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qashqaiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 7:27pm
the cop that rang me today did say he did not know why it had ended up on his desk he also said that i had done nothing wrong and it was up to me if i paid it as far as i am concerned he ought to train his staff better as the shell station has not long been open if i had overpaid by £20 i dont think they would go through any trouble to return it to me
works both ways
2011 qashqai tekna 1.6 dci black. with chrome fog light surrounds front & rear.sidebars.number plate surrounds door sill guards.
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 7:44pm
Tight Wad!......    
andspenka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Club Meet King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andspenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 8:24pm
My sister used to work in a Shell garage,

They had to notify the police when they have a 'drive off' ie; when someone fills up and doesn't pay for it, they needed a crime number or faced having to pay for it themselves when the till was short at the end of the shift.

This is where it gets a bit strange, if you paid for pump 7, what did the guy who was on pump 7 pay for when he came in? Even when they get around that they're still going to have your 22 quid on the till which they would need to clear off before being able to start the pump again.

Next time use pay at the pump LOL
2014 1.5 Dci Tekna in Ink Blue
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qashqaiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:16pm
the bloke on pump 7 went just before i finished unless he did not pay he came out with a few bite and pieces but dont know if he paid for the fuel cannot understand why pump 7 was not cancelled if he had payed
2Fat2Bald View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2Fat2Bald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:30pm
Okay. Whether it's an offence or not depends on when it was noticed that there was an error.

If you knew how much the fuel ought to cost and didn't say anything when the Cashier asked for less then you commit the offence of theft when you pay too little.

If - on the other hand - you intentionally misled the cashier (by - for example - giving them the wrong pump number), then it's fraud (obviously).

If you never intend to pay less than you should, then you commit no offence as both applicable offences require intentional dishonesty in order to be made out. The mistake has now been pointed out, but I don't think you subsequently commit an offence if an honest mistake is noticed after payment has been requested, made and a receipt given - especially if it shows a zero balance.

Personally I think that their mistake is their mistake. And calling the Police on a customer over their cockup is a really, really ridiculous approach. And expecting you to come into the shop specially to pay up, just because otherwise their sums are wrong.

I would guess the guy on pump 7 noticed when he got overcharged. Which is probably how the error got picked up. If you think about it - provided both sums were settled then they Garage probably wouldn't notice that the wrong customer had paid, since nothing would then be outstanding. So the chances are someone entered the garage a few seconds after you walked out and the fun started...

Edited by 2Fat2Bald - 17 Oct 2012 at 9:32pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qashqaiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 7:25pm
honestly did not know how much i put in and there was no intension to defraud them at all just put in fuel and went to pay told her pump 8 she told me the amount and i paid by card.have been to the garage tonight to speak to manager but cashier told me he has left i wrote down my name car reg and tel no but am now on holiday and am away till next weekend so he can ring me then as i have done nothing wrong so why should i run around useing my fuel after them
qasha18 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qasha18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by qashqaiman qashqaiman wrote:

last monday oct 8th i visited a shell petrol station in swindon and filled the qashqai up with fuel at pump 8 i went to pay for the fuel at No8 and the cashier said it was £14:05 to which i paid on card and left. today wed 17th i had a phone call from the police asking me if i owned a black qashqai and did i get petrol from the shell station it appears she looked at the wrong pump which was 7 which i say is her mistake not mine ,the police has asked me to go to petrol station to sort it out with them apparently i owe £21
does anyone know where i stand with this one

Did you get you the name of the police officers name? as the police would normaly come and knock on the door and ring you? its down to the cashier!Censored
a simular thing happened to a friend of mine some years ago they pulled in at a pump put gun in the cashier reset it they fillup paid about 1 hour later they had a knock on the the boys in blue it turn out that the person who had used the pump before had drove off without paying and it was down to cashier failing to notice they drove off until they checked their till against cctv footage and mistook my friend as the person! who had driven off they got the visit but after looking at the footage [police] they found the car & owner and paid him a visit? the cashier was given a verbal warning & my friend was given a voucher for M&S Wink   
Magnetic red QQ Acenta1.5 dci has now gone to auction?. ,I have now picked up my Volvo V40 D2 Cross Country Lux.
Mrbcb View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 11:10am
The moral issue is to settle the bill you owe. I wonder if you would have noticed if you had £14 of petrol and they charged you £35?
Owner of Gun Metal Grey 1.6 Tekna Dig-T Qashqai (3rd Qashqai)
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 3:17pm
Hey qashqaiman............

There's a petrol station on the Isle of Wight near The Needles you'd love.  Not sure if its changed but last time I filled up there and went into the cashier the conversation went like this (her first)...........

'Yes?'
'Pump number 3'
'Yes?'
'Yes what?'
'How much?'

Turns out there is no connection between pump and till, they just rely on your honesty to tell them how much Shocked.

Best 50p I've ever spent LOLEmbarrassed.

QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 3:18pm
Wink (of course I didn't)
QQ5 (YES 5...!!) 2017 Vivid Blue DIG-T 115 X-Tronic Tekna+
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 3:28pm
love it 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic