UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Know How..
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Qashqai 1.5 DCI J10 tips on cambelt and servicing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Qashqai 1.5 DCI J10 tips on cambelt and servicing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asim2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qashqai 1.5 DCI J10 tips on cambelt and servicing
    Posted: 05 May 2017 at 8:47pm
I thought I would share my recent experience so hopefully others can make savings of hundreds of pounds.

My Nissan Qashqai 1.5 dci Tekna is 2010 model. I have done 63,000 miles. The car has a Renault K9K engine. I was told by a friend that I will need a cambelt change this year so I looked into this and he was correct. The car maintained schedule said cam belt should be changed at 6 years or 72,000 miles whichever comes earlier.

So I went to my local Nissan dealer and asked for a major service, fuel filter change and cam belt change. Now i know that when the cam belt is changed, the water pump should be changed at the same time. These are the prices I was quoted by Nissan dealership:

- Major Diesel Service : £320
- Fuel filter change : £65
- Cam belt and water pump change : £550
TOTAL: £935 - truly eye watering amount

Now I have always had my car serviced and parts replaced at a authorized Nissan dealerships till now. But what ticked me off is that their "fixed price servicing" which is normally £249 Has been increased by £70 this year for no rhyme or reason. I checked the prices of the oil, filters and brake fluid and all the base prices for the products remain the same. So why the increase in price?

I decided to get the service and cambelt done by an independent local to where I live. I bought Nissan authentic parts online. This is what everything cost me:

- Engine oil, oil and filter, pollen filter and sump plug washer : £70 on ebay. All original Nissan.
- Genuine fuel filter : £24 on ebay.
- Genuine brake oil 1L: £7
- Genuine Nissan Cambelt and water pump: £92
All these prices include shipping.
I got the independent to do the major service at a labour charge of £40. The labour charge for cambelt and water pump charge was £150

So in total I paid £383 for everything. As opposed to £935 making a saving of £552 pounds. I am going to use this money towards a vacation.

I can put up links for all these items if someone needs them. In all honesty I would have paid the dealership all of it but the fact that they would not maintain the price on their so called "fixed price service" really put me off them. Now I am glad that I did look at other options. I have driven the car over 300 miles now without any problems at all

Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 9:12pm
Once a car is outside warranty, a reputable independent mechanic can save £££££s on all servicing and repairs.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Ayaankash View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayaankash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:55pm
Many thanks for the detailed info Asim2002.
Please upload the links to the spares you used.
My 62 plate ntech plus needs a cambelt change.

Ayaan
Ayaankash View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ayaankash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:27pm
Just spoke to Glyn hopkins
£1400 to change the timING belt.
2 days worth of work courtesy car
The sales guy said the they have to rebuild the engine to change the timing belt.
If I am not wrong this is not a 2 day worth job and also it doesn't need the engine to be rebuilt.
I would appriciate if some body could direct me to an independent workshop in East London to get the timing belt sorted out.

The car is a 1.5 dci 62 plate ntech plus 56000 miles

Many thanks
AYaan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic