UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Qashqai EMS recall

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcrisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Qashqai EMS recall
    Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 6:36pm
My 2012 qashqai was recalled for an engine management update which was done on 30/11/16. Upon pulling out of the dealership, the car seemed to stutter and lose power. I returned to the garage today as it got worse and engine warning light, ABS and traction control lights came on, it went into limp mode. Initially the mechanic said the upgrade may not have been done right, then it might have caused a 'ghost fault'. I was then told that the EGR pipe was clogged up and needed replacing and it was nothing linked to the recall work. I dispute this as the car was fine before it went into BRISTOL ST, DERBY. They were supposed to ring me today with a price but haven't. I feel like I'm about to be ripped off and would appreciate any advice/views. Thanks
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 9:10pm
How about talking to each other like grown-ups?
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Harrymac View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harrymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 1:08am
Sounds like software gremlins rather than EGR, doubt EGR fault would trigger ABS and Traction Control lights.

Trooper View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

How about talking to each other like grown-ups?

how about showing courtesy to fellow forum usersWink
If it aint broke make it go faster.
xshark View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:06am
I had this update done six day ago (Qashqai 1.5dci). Immediately after leaving the garage I had problems with poor acceleration, engine stutter, and smoke billowing from the exhaust and a smell of burning oil. Things seemed to settle down but re-appeared again yesterday. The Nissan garage now claims that the the mass air flow sensor needs to be changed and this is unrelated to the software update. (How strange that it should fail with seconds of leaving the garage!)

Looking around on other forums, there appears to be many other people experiencing problems immediately after the software update. Too many, to my mind, to claim that it is a co-incidence.  
wilkylfc View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkylfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 11:56am
Hi - 

I put my car in for a full service 2 weeks ago and also had the EMS software recall on it, however i had this issue before going into the garage.

The fuel filter was replaced  *see loss of power post* and now works fine, there was also a leak from the top turbo pipe which the garage claimed not only pipe needed replacing but the Air intake sensor and fuel sensor. I got the pipe replaced through an independant garage and they said neither sensor needed replacing.
hughessb View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughessb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2016 at 6:41pm
I've had exactly the same thing with my 2010 1.5 diesel Qashqai. I had the EMS update and drove the car out of the dealer (desira in Norwich), engine sounded a lot noisier (lots of clatter), loss of power. Took it straight back and they said there were no problems with it, just needed to drive it for the EMS to settle down. In fairness it did, but is still very noisy when cold. Will keep an eye on it and may take it back to get the original software reinstalled. We shall see. The EMS update has not just added a MIL light warning should the rear o2 sensor fail, it has clearly changed the fuelling. I suspect a back door way way to clean up some emissions cheat!!!
Gollum View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2016 at 7:38pm
Ours has been done two weeks ago and no noticeable changes. We are driving 400 miles over Christmas so we'll see for sure then
Aiden
2013 QQ 360 1.5 dci
Kayman View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 8:02am
I have experienced the same problems with lack of power, less mpg, my Qashqai did 50-52 mpg before, now down to 36-37mpg, something has definitely gone wrong! I was told by the Nissan garage it was probably due to cold weather! Taking it back there next week. Will keep you posted!
IanM View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by wilkylfc wilkylfc wrote:

Hi - 

I put my car in for a full service 2 weeks ago and also had the EMS software recall on it, however i had this issue before going into the garage.

The fuel filter was replaced  *see loss of power post* and now works fine, there was also a leak from the top turbo pipe which the garage claimed not only pipe needed replacing but the Air intake sensor and fuel sensor. I got the pipe replaced through an independant garage and they said neither sensor needed replacing.

I have similar running problem *see DPF and ECM Issues* I have lost faith in my local Garage AND Nissan. Both say its ok when I know its not. MOT visit tomorrow where hopefully they can have another look.

Gollum View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 5:13pm
Mines been done and has just completed 2 weeks of work and back a 110 mile run and 80 mine round trip with no issues
2013 QQ 360 1.5 dci
hughessb View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hughessb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 1:07pm
My car has finally settled down and stopped sounding like an a 1980's transit van. It took about 300 miles for the fuelling to sort itself out. I did advice the Nissan service guys to prewarn owners that their cars may sounds rattley as hell for a few miles after having this software update.
Anyway I hope all your cars are OK as well.

Best regards
Steve
IanM View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by IanM IanM wrote:

Originally posted by wilkylfc wilkylfc wrote:

Hi - 

I have similar running problem *see DPF and ECM Issues* I have lost faith in my local Garage AND Nissan. Both say its ok when I know its not. MOT visit tomorrow where hopefully they can have another look.

Well mine seems to have settled down also - on most days its -
  • Less noisy
  • Not stuttering at 60/70mph
  • More responsive when accelerating
And on "some days" it its a dream to drive - like new - wish it was like that all the time :)

brit588 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brit588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 1:31pm
Hi, has anyone who has experienced a problem after this recall work had their car sorted ?,
My car ran terrible after the work was done, and had to go back in, although the garage said there was not a problem,when i got it back it seemed to run better, but the high MPG, and a miss fire at motorway speeds is still present, does anyone know exactly what was done under the original recall work?, ie was it just a reprogram of the unit,whatever it was seems to have affected the fueling.
I see from other posts that it appears to be earlier cars that are mostly having problems.{mines a 2011 1.5 d }, My local dealer is not being over helpful but Nissan are helping, I did get in touch with the AA also, who said that they had not received many calls about problems after this recall work, but said that looking on the net there were more people moaning then would seem to just be a coincidence,    Dave
Dcrisp View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcrisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 1:55pm
Hi Dave, the recall caused £1300 worth of damage to my 2012 1.5 d but Nissan paid it. It's still not right in my opinion- more noisy, less efficient....so much so I'm looking at swapping it
brit588 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brit588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2017 at 7:17pm
Thanks for your reply, would you mind telling us more about the damage caused?, I have owned my car for over five years and have been very happy with it, but since this recall work i would not take it any distance or on a motorway, due to the misfire, which is not doing the drive train any good at the very least, like you when it's sorted i will look at changing it, i did see on another site someone suggested going to the Watchdog program about it, from the threads i have seen a lot of owners are not getting a lot of help from dealers until Nissan get involved. Dave
Stu_L View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 4:38pm
Mine had the 'update' just before Christmas. Prior it was running sweet as a nut & I was regularly getting 55 MPG. Now it runs like a dog, sounds like a tractor, hesitates at around 70MPH occasionally & I'm now only getting around 47MPG.
I wrote to Nissan & they kindly offered to put it on the diagnostics for £57 - otherwise there's nothing they can do. Apparently there is no reversal of the update possible. In hindsight I shouldn't have bothered tbh. I'm seriously considering a remap from one of those tuning garages to try to recover what I previously had ....
Black 2012 1.5 dci N-Tec+
Dcrisp View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcrisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 8:25pm
The damage to my vehicle was to the DPF pipe and the turbo hose, both had to be replaced. Prior to the recall I was getting 55 to the gallon and it was the quietest diesel I've ever owned, now it sounds more like a tractor and I'm getting 45 to the gallon if I'm lucky. Bristol Street, Derby said it was all coincidence and would have happily charged me for the repairs but I went back to the dealer I bought it from....Bristol Street, Ilkeston who spoke to Nissan who agreed to cover the cost of repairs. Although they didn't say it, from the questions I was asked lead me to believe that they had seen it all before.....when I explained the symptoms the first question I was asked was 'have you recently had a recall'!!
I would recommend anyone to fight over the repair costs caused by this recall.
Rob 1 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 11:57am
Hello everyone , I have just joined this forum and from what I can gather this is a very big problem caused by this upgrade . I took my car in to Nissan Ilkeston with slip control light and traction control light on . After having this corrected they told my they had done the upgrade on the ECM . I have had exactly the same problems as you. I had just returned from a 400 mile round trip to the lake district without a problem , took the car to Nissan Ilkeston and it now drives like a tractor the change is unbelievable . I took it back to them and they told me it was probably the injectors and would cost £1000 to put right   
Stu_L View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 1:25pm
There may be light at the end of the tunnel for you Rob. Mine has calmed down now & is almost back to what it used to be. It's only taken 5 months though !!
Rob 1 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 4:56pm
OK Stu thanks for that, good job I checked on the forum for this problem, it could have cost me a grand otherwise . What annoys me is the fact that they know what the problem is but said nothing . I was doing 70mph on a dual carriageway when mine went haywire and it frightend the crap out of me . 
Stu_L View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 8:38am
Yep, 70 seemed to be the magic number, then all of a sudden it would lose power / hesitate before picking up again. Sometimes it would happen 3 or 4 times before sorting itself out. I was in the outside lane of a motorway when it happened the first time & I wasn't best pleased either! Nissan denying it only made it worse after looking here & a bit of google research it's a very common thing.
Rob 1 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 8:51am
Mmm too many people reporting exactly the same problem for it to be a coincidence. I have sent an email directly to Nissan UK and am waiting their reply . Will post when they get back to me .
dtwone View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtwone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 9:42pm
Same issue on my car, case opened with nissan customer services, it's appalling what they've done to the economy, 10-15% worse tank to tank and also on the computer, performance fine but economy poor, I'm beginning to think they are covering up an emissions scandal of their own, the car has perfect mot emissions but on the road it's economy is like it's permanently on the dpf cleaning cycle
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 2:12pm
You could take it to an independant rolling road and obtain a printout of the car performance.  If it is below the spec which was advertised when purchased, you could have a case in law.

I am aware that manufacturer's MPG figures are measured in laboratory conditions, but if other specs are well down......... Confused

Edited by Doug999 - 09 Oct 2018 at 8:21pm
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
mhfit3 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhfit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:33pm
Hi Dcrisp, 
I have an appointment with Bristol St Derby soon to have a look at my failed CRUISE CONTROL and SPEED LIMITER right after the EMS update/'upgrade'. I am a bit worried that they will say it has nothing to do with the EMS 'upgrade'. Do you have contact detail for Bristol St Ikleston so I can build my case?
Thanks. 
IanM View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:46pm
I gave up on my Diesel Qashqai - Noisy - Unresponsive - 3 DPF Regens - 2 reprogrammed EMC - I have recently traded it in for the petrol version - only stayed with Nissan cos they knew i was hacked off with the diesel problems and gave me a sympathetic trade in deal.
Early days but will keep you informed
IanM View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:47pm
I gave up on my Diesel Qashqai - Noisy - Unresponsive - 3 DPF Regens - 2 reprogrammed EMC - I have recently traded it in for the petrol version - only stayed with Nissan cos they knew i was hacked off with the diesel problems and gave me a sympathetic trade in deal.

mhfit3 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhfit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by IanM IanM wrote:

What year was your diesel Nissan?
Hound View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 4:27pm
mhfit3 -- I don't know what model you have, but I had a failed cruise control/speed limiter on my 1.6dCi before it was a year old - it was due to an air temperature sensor on top of the engine. No problems since replacement. It's a known problem on the R9M engine from 24/09/15 and there's a TSB about it.
Dcrisp View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcrisp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 5:58pm
Hi, Yes the Service Manager at Ilkeston Bristol Street is Mark Boot (if he's still there). He was very helpful. Good luck with your case
Flashybike1 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashybike1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 11:15pm
Rob1 how’s it going now?

Mines due for the update and I’m tempted not to do it...
Pearsongs View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearsongs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 11:02am
2013 1.5 dci Tekna diesel
Hi, bought this a few months ago, started being a bit sluggish at times, got the recall letter, had it updated, drove home and drove like a slug, stuttering, no power especially in lower gears.
Taking it back today and just wondering if there's any advice out there!
Warranty only for engine/transmission.

Pearsongs View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearsongs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 12:09pm
...and they found no fault...
Just happened again..
....anyone out there??
pandjh View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 12:49pm
The only time anything like this happened to me it was down to muck in the fuel pipes. Cleaned it out using Forte Fuel System cleaner and renewed the fuel filter.
2015 QQ 1.2 Dig-T N-Tec+, Black
Previously 2009 QQ 1.5dCi Acenta, Black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic