UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Faults and Fixes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

QQ 2010 Starting Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raghub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QQ 2010 Starting Trouble
    Posted: 15†Jul†2018 at 11:04am
My qashqai starts from cold runs 10 seconds then cuts out, leave it 15 minutes try again it will start again. Sometimes it is possible to get it to accelerate up beyond the cutout and then it will run all day.

Once it cuts off if I pop the bonnet and push the fuel pump a bit, a hard crank then starts it up. This usually happens only overnight. The Nissan dealer did a diagnostic and gave me the below suggestion but they said there is no guarantee if it would fix the problem.

Diagnostic: Multiple fault codes, codes relating to Fuel Pressure and Glow Plugs, I able to fault starting at time of test. Advise replacement glow plugs and fuel filter and then retest.

Please advice, any help is appreciated.
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15†Jul†2018 at 4:30pm
That's typical of modern diagnostics.  Recommend the replacement of parts (at your expense) and fingers crossed that it works.  If not, we'll try something else (again at your expense).

At the end of the day, they could find a loose wire but by then it has cost you mega £££.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15†Jul†2018 at 5:33pm
When error codes relate to fuel pressure, I'd exchange the fuel pump first....

Has the fuel filter been dewatered?
Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15†Jul†2018 at 10:26pm
Following as ours is doing exactly the same thing.
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16†Jul†2018 at 9:08am
It may not fix the problem, but the glow plugs do wear out, and if they haven't been replaced in 8 years then it's probably a good idea anyway.  

The fuel filter should be changed every 2 years, when was it last changed?

The glow plugs are only a few quid each if you buy them online, you'll save a lot of money if you source them yourselves and get a local independent to fit them.  Having said that, I doubt they're the problem as they usually cause starting problems in cold weather.  You also say the car starts and runs for 10 seconds, so that probably rules out the glow plugs I think as they're just there to start it in the first place.

Edited by chrisw99 - 16†Jul†2018 at 9:10am
QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Jul†2018 at 2:51pm
Ours is only doing it occasionally, it started the day after I filled it at a Tesco and put half a tub of Redex in. It's only done it a couple of times since and I have filled it since then with non supermarket fuel as this was suggested it 'may' be part of the problem. If it continues to be an irregular fault I'll get the filter changed and see if it improves.

raghub View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raghub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Jul†2018 at 2:56pm
I've changed the fuel filter a month back. Wondering if that's the issue? A bad fuel filter? It starts fine and runs about 6 seconds. Once I use the pump then it starts again.

The whole day it is fine.

Really getting on my nerves now. Sometimes the Slip and ESC lights are on, but when I switch off and then on its gone.

I'm taking it to the garage tomorrow, will keep you posted.
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Jul†2018 at 3:04pm
I have read that some filters can cause problems. Genuine filters are recommended, but what brand are genuine?
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Jul†2018 at 3:38pm
That's a recurring theme... the Nissan engine is a bit picky with third party fuel filters. A original Nissan part does the trick - from what I've read more often than once ...
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Jul†2018 at 4:24pm
I've tried Googling for the correct filter and came away more confused

Any clues, links etc to an online supplier for the correct one would be most welcome.
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Jul†2018 at 6:22pm
Your friendly Nissan dealer ....
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Jul†2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

Your friendly Nissan dealer ....

...is, unfortunately, a 15 mile drive followed by an hour's boat journey followed by a 120 mile drive on mostly narrow, windy roads(admittedly the views are stunning!) which calls for an overnight stay.   

We do go down to Inverness a couple of times a year so if it behaves itself til we're down again I'll get it replaced 😉
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17†Jul†2018 at 8:29pm
Sorry... didn't pay attention to your location...

I admit, living on the Orkneys, it's a wee bit difficult to pay a visit to your friendly Nissan dealer... Ouch

However, I'd love to pay a visit to the Orkneys some time in the future....

(I'd call the dealer and have him post it...)

Edited by Udo2009 - 17†Jul†2018 at 8:31pm
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18†Jul†2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Udo2009 Udo2009 wrote:

However, I'd love to pay a visit to the Orkneys some time in the future....

From Inverness take the NC500 route up the West coast, over to Orkney from one of the 2 ferry crossings for a few days and then back down to Inverness
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18†Jul†2018 at 9:19am
You've not said which engine you've got.  Some people on here will probably be able to tell you the exact part number for the fuel filter, but would need to know which engine.

QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
Bgmick View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18†Jul†2018 at 9:33am
Oil filters

Edited by Bgmick - 18†Jul†2018 at 9:34am
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18†Jul†2018 at 11:29am
Originally posted by chrisw99 chrisw99 wrote:

You've not said which engine you've got.† Some people on here will probably be able to tell you the exact part number for the fuel filter, but would need to know which engine.

That would help!

In my case it's a 10 plate 1.5 diesel. So thanks to Bgmick above I think this'll be the correct fuel filter http://www.glynhopkinpartsonline.co.uk/product/Strainer_Assy-Fuel_Filter_16400JY00A
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19†Jul†2018 at 7:53pm
HmmmErmm back to the drawing board. 

Filter   £35.90
P+P    £26.78
VAT    £12.54
TOTAL £75.22

One of the disadvantages of living in a remote area. Think I'll fire off an email to see if they'll post it instead of using a courier. Failing that a call to Nissan dealer in Inverness and see if they can help.
raghub View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raghub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21†Jul†2018 at 8:52pm
Any luck guys? The trouble still exists. Im talking it to the garage on Monday.
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†Jul†2018 at 10:41am
No luck with me yet, I'm still trying to source a genuine filter that won't cost an arm and a leg to deliver.

If you squeeze the rubber bulb beside the filter a few times does it start and keep running?
raghub View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raghub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†Jul†2018 at 4:24pm
Yes, first starting the car it runs for about 6 seconds then it cuts off. Then I press the rubber bulb I til it becomes real tight and can't press further down. Then when I crank it for 3 to 6 seconds it starts.
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†Jul†2018 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by raghub raghub wrote:

... Then I press the rubber bulb I til it becomes real tight and can't press further down. ...

That's a sure sign of air in the system... AFAIK ...
raghub View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raghub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22†Jul†2018 at 7:19pm
Do you think changing the fuel filter to an original nissan one help?
raghub View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raghub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26†Jul†2018 at 9:34am
Hello all, Udo2009 was correct. The rubber pump had a small leak in it which cause air to flow inside the fuel filter. Hence the starting problem. All sorteo for £50 including part and labor.
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26†Jul†2018 at 11:21am
Result!

Did he just change the bulb or the filter as well? I've got a genuine filter coming home, I think I'll just change that and see what happens before I order a bulb.
Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28†Jul†2018 at 9:04am
Funny how a company can say that 'due to the size of the filter it HAS to be couriered' yet the dealer in Inverness posted it for less than a fiver! 

New filter arrived yesterday, not fitted yet as car has been starting and running OK. This morning however it cut out and even after priming it cut out again. It looked like there was a small amount of fuel underneath the priming bulb so i started to remove it from the holder and I got a diesel shower! Bulb has split underneath at the back. 

So looks like it's been the bulb the whole time. Got my mechanic mate looking for a bulb that might fit/work while I get one sent up. If only I had thought about it when I ordered the filter Ermm

And in my search for a priming bulb I came across this company https://nissangenuine.com/ seem reasonably priced and not overpriced for delivery to non-mainland addresses.

Turvey View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02†Aug†2018 at 11:03am
Small update for anyone interested.

Received genuine priming bulb with new pipes and fittings from an eBay seller with lots of good feedback. Fitted in 2 minutes, primed it, started the car and so far *touch wood* everything is fine. Started this morning perfectly. Going to keep the new filter until the next service.
pandjh View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pandjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02†Aug†2018 at 11:54am
2015 QQ 1.2 Dig-T N-Tec+, Black
Previously 2009 QQ 1.5dCi Acenta, Black
Bgmick View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bgmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02†Aug†2018 at 1:28pm
Glad for you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic