Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

QQ aircon vulnerability: is it common?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QQ aircon vulnerability: is it common?
    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 8:43pm
Just wondering . . .

We've been out and about in our QQ on a 100-mile return trip today, mostly M6 both ways at around 70mph. The car's external temperature read-out has been 20C all day: a warm day then, rather than boiling hot -- so it doesn't seem to me that the outside weather has any bearing on what's been happening (or not happening) where the QQ's interior climate is concerned.

We noticed that despite turning down the aircon from 17.5 to LO (which I think is somewhere around 8C, but am not sure) hardly any cold air at all was blowing out the vents. On AUTO, the fan speed didn't incrase (as it usually does) so we maxed out the fan manually (it made no discernible difference). Mysteriously, the aircon unit began to display a mind of its own and started switching to recirculated air: the button kept lighting up though neither of us had touched it.

I'm wary of various tales recounted by QQ owners on the 'Net of unscrupulous "re-gassing" charges by some Nissan dealerships. I'm also aware that an Internet search for "Qashqai aircon faults" produces so many results that it's worrying.

On which note then, I'm wondering: does anyone here know if the Qashqai has a particular vulnerability when it comes to its aircon / climate control units?

Fingers crossed, my own local dealership, which has looked after the car since supplying it new 5 years ago, will be able to sort this out under the terms of the Nissan UK 'Ultimate' extended warranty, renewal of which we've just agreed (yesterday) with Nissan UK at £39 a month.
Qashqai Ascenta Premium 1.2 automatic 23/7/2015
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 12:33pm
£39/mth is the going rate for QQ extended warranty so you should not have any issue with getting your aircon fixed. 
Please let us know what caused the problem.
Cheers Thumbs Up
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Flyyte View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 3:17pm
Yup, I'll post on here when the situation has been resolved and explained.

MRs QQ is now booked in for her annual service, MoT and assessment of what's going wrong with the aircon. The service guy I spoke to on the phone sounded relieved when I told him the car was under warranty -- almost as though it's so great a heaache, financially and otherwise, for dealerships to have to spend time chasing up aircon faults and solving aircon problems, that they'd much rather agree with the customer that something's wrong and then ring up the warranty folks and ask for authorization to go ahead and replace everything.

That was our experience of the "repair" to the malfunctioning rear camera earlier this year. We were never told what the cause of the problem was or what the dealership had diagnosed. We were simply told, instead, that they rang up Nissan UK's extended warranty department and asked for the go-ahead to replace the entire rear camera system. Authorization was given there and then so. . . no more headaches for the dealer. And no question of us being dragged into a prolonged argument with them about what had gone wrong, what needed doing, and how much it would cost.

The £39 a month for 10 months seems fair value to us, especially as we've worked out how much money we lose on depreciation (and what we'd lose in the case of this £23,800 acquisition). No point in playing the dealership's game of changing cars as often as they'd like; better to keep the car, pay £399 a year for manufacturer warranty (it's actually a CarCare Plan 'Ultimate' warranty, approved by Nissan UK) and carry on regardless.

I know there's always a lot of wailing by the SMMT and plenty of news coverage, too, when "new car sales" aren't what the manufacturers and dealerships were hoping they would be. Well, that's unfortunate, but they've had a golden era with the private financial purchase schemes: it couldn't last forever. We paid off our Nissan 5% finance deal after 2 years by obtaining a 3% bank loan, then paid that off a year early as well.

Qashqai Ascenta Premium 1.2 automatic 23/7/2015
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:36pm
I think "LO" is 16c?

Mainly found at an office chair these days
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic