Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai 2014 - > Qashqai 2014
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

** QQ electronic brake release problem??? **

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ** QQ electronic brake release problem??? **
    Posted: 12áMayá2017 at 2:46pm
Not sure what's happening, but today our QQ played up for the first time in 21 months' ownership.

We were halted at traffic lights with the electronic handbrake on and the auto stop/start kicked in, but when the engine re-started and I blipped the accelerator pedal to move off, the QQ refused to move. A fairly loud. . . 'grating' sound seemed to be coming from underneath. I manually released the brake but still the QQ wouldn't move. By now, the lights had changed to red again (so yeah, I was real popular with the traffic queuing up behind me.)

Auto stop/start kicked in again and I also put the handbrake on. When the lights changed to green, this time I released the brake manually instead of blipping the accelerator . . . and again, nothing happened, just a grating sound. Revving the engine got the QQ underway.

Arriving eventually at home, I parked outside prior to turning into our driveway, set the brake, turned off the engine, unloaded the boot from our shopping trip, got back in the QQ five or six minutes later, started the engine, manually released the brake, and. . . Same problem: the grating noise from underneath, the vehicle seemingly stuck in place. Revving the engine gave enough grunt for the QQ to move forwards but. . . But. . .

Is this symptomatic of a brake problem that needs dealer fixing under warranty, or have others experienced this as one of those, um, one-off things?

Info appreciated: thanks.  
Qashqai Ascenta Premium 1.2 automatic 23/7/2015
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12áMayá2017 at 3:23pm
Are the brake discs worn? If they are broken (the shoes) then they give a false sensor reading.

Common on other makes.

Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
Flyyte View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flyyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12áMayá2017 at 5:36pm
Thanks PR07HET: I've not looked, but the QQ has only done 14,700 miles from new, so, um . . .

Anyway. I've just rung our supplying dealer, which just happens to be a mere 1200 yards from where we live. The nice service lady said 'ah, we-ell . . .' and then explained that even though I'm only round the corner from them, she (the dealership) would much prefer it if I rang Nissan Assistance: 'honestly, we'd rather you didn't take any car any distance on a road where a brakes problem is suspected.'  Fair enough. She gave me the Assistance number (I have it anyway, in the car), so I've now rung that, explained that the dealership has asked me to make the call, and that I'm at home, there's no breakdown as such, and no emergency.

The equally nice lady there (must be my day for them) said no worries, in view of what you've told me we'll be there within 20 minutes to two hours. If there is a brakes problem we'll arrange for your car to be towed to your dealership and they'll provide you with a courtesy car, or we will, from Europcar (?)

So --

Sorry. Post disrupted. The RAC have turned up, 16 minutes after the call. The RAC man has examined the brakes and says they're in perfect working order, and when he reversed, stopped, re-started, went forwards, and then repeated the exercise several times, on each and every occasion the brakes were activated and released without a problem. However. . .

Our driveway, which is quite short, has an imperceptible incline. Barely noticeable. At one point -- with me standing alongside, talking to the RAC man through the open driver's window, he suddenly said: 'Did this light come on before?' Pointing to a bright green illuminated icon. I'd no idea what it was. Have never seen it before. The RAC man said it's to do with a 'Hill Control' device which when triggered keeps the brakes on for several seconds regardless of whether or not you've released them. He asked me if it had flashed on the two occasions this afternoon. I said no, it hadn't. And besides, the car was on the level both times.

He then repeated the forwards brake, backwards brake, sequence several times but the green light never came on and the brakes never locked. So-oo . . . 'I'm sorry, but I don't know what can have happened here. There's no indication that anything is wrong with this Qashqai.' He said he'd have to report 'No fault found' on his call-out sheet, and was sorry he hadn't been able to help further. 'Just keep an eye out for that green light', he advised.

Ah well. A mystery. But that green light, though it only illuminated once, yet on a driveway of virtually no discernible incline, makes me wonder if somehow, in some way, that 'Hill Control' thingie is perhaps beginning to play up??

Kudos though, to both the Nissan dealership and Nissan Assist (RAC) for a fast, courteous and considerate response.
Qashqai Ascenta Premium 1.2 automatic 23/7/2015
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic