UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Interior.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Rear 12V Power Socket

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twamly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear 12V Power Socket
    Posted: 06 May 2012 at 7:53am
I've decided to add an extra 12V power socket in the armrest of my QQ.
After reading another thread on this forum, I took the back of the armrest off to look for the unused 12V power connection.  But it wasn't there.

I found  an unused connnecor under the door lock switch, but there wasn't a 12V supply.  The wires also looked a bit thin to power a 12V socket.

So my plan is to run a pair of wires from the front 12V socket to the new one at the back. However, I can't work out how to get the front 12V socket out.  I can get it to wobble a bit, but dont want to force it.  Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks

Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:57am
Just pop the panel off , you need to.remove it from behind
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Twamly View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twamly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:14pm
Ummmm. How silly do I feel now.
I didn't realise the panel would come away without the air-con controls.

Thanks for your help
Qai12 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qai12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:57pm
I have done the exact thing you have been thinking.
Just gently prised off the cover around the air con controls, removed the gear stick gaiter trim and the twin cup holder.
All removed with gentle persuasion with flat blade screwdriver.
This allowed access from the front socket to the back of the centre console.
Used scotch locks to tap into original wires and used 15amp wire to run to rear, tidied up by cable tying wires to conduit running to rear.
Then drilled new hole for socket and attached wires using spade connectors..
All works fine..
Same as you I thought the other wires looked too thin and didn't want to risk it..
Mark
Twamly View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twamly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:14am
All done and worked a treat.
Next project: Auto folding mirrors from Acesdvds

Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:25am
Could you add some pictures from the finished job?

I'm also thinking about adding a third 12v socket inside the center armrest for the headrest dvd players.
Twamly View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Twamly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:35pm
Here's a picture as requested.
Used the same method as Qai12 has described above.
The new wires are cable-tied to the existing loom and go from the front 12V socket, under the gear stick, under the cup holder and out the back of the arm rest. 
Make sure the new socket you fit isn't too deep.  There is only about 6cm of clearance between the inside of the armrest and the cover on the back.
lucari View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 7:33pm
I popped the back off the console to have a look and I seem to have something else there that's not in the top picture. It goes fully across where the white '2' is. It has a black and while wire going through a connector but that's. There is nothing written on it. I don't think it would impede the new wiring but without knowing what it does, I wouldn't like to fiddle. 

Maybe its something to do with the sound system. Has anyone else done this mod and has this extra bit ?

Richard
It's here!!! 1.6dCi Tekna in Gun Metallic and Graphite Leather.
Qai12 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qai12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:23pm
I have my socket the other way around on the outside for the rear passengers to use or a small 12v cool box in the footwell..

gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:59pm
Snap Qai12, makes it nice and easy for the kids.
Plugged a 3 way into ours so they run pretty much what they like.
Fridge gets plugged into the 12v installed in the boot.
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 6:49am
Originally posted by Twamly Twamly wrote:

Used the same method as Qai12 has described above.
The new wires are cable-tied to the existing loom and go from the front 12V socket, under the gear stick, under the cup holder and out the back of the arm rest. 
Make sure the new socket you fit isn't too deep.  There is only about 6cm of clearance between the inside of the armrest and the cover on the back.

Thanks for the picture. Looks very neatly done. Great job.
markdotjames View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markdotjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Twamly Twamly wrote:

Anyone know where i can obtain both those sockets USB/AUX and Power please?
Black 2L Auto Tekna on an 09 Plate, Bent end side bars, Door Sills, Dog Guard, Tow Bar, Reversing Camera, "Thingy Holder", AcesDvd Folding Door Mirrors.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:51am
I think the USB/Aux Port can be bought from Holdcrofts Mark, the 12v Lighter socket can be bought at most motor factors, or cheaper on eBay... I paid £2.50 for mine on eBay. 
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
markdotjames View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markdotjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:06am
thank you muchly, I did have a thought after i posted and emailed Holdcrafts, it costs £32 for the USB socket a little more than i want to spend on that project, i sourced a socket from Maplin for £5 so will play with that, thanks for the info though.

Mark
Black 2L Auto Tekna on an 09 Plate, Bent end side bars, Door Sills, Dog Guard, Tow Bar, Reversing Camera, "Thingy Holder", AcesDvd Folding Door Mirrors.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:59am
If you've got the Connect - the USB port is well worth having.... 
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 6:17pm
Ok. I popped the rear panel off and it seems that I have another connector under the USB/AUX connector.
It's a grey connector with blue and brown wire. It connects to another loom with white and black wire.
I presume this is the rear armrest 12v connector wiring? It should be ok to rob the 12v supply from here? I haven't measured it yet though.
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 7:56pm

Replying to myself. The extra connector is for keyless system.

So I did the installation like described in this thread. It was actually quite easy to rob the 12 volts from the front 12v socket. Clean and simple and works like a charm.

Edited by Downtime - 22 May 2012 at 8:33pm
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:16pm
I'll reply to you - save you talking to yourself.....

Well done!! Clap
Downtime View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by gadget gadget wrote:

I'll reply to you - save you talking to yourself.....

Well done!! Clap

Ali work and no play makes downtime a dull Boy ;)

Edit :

And the result is :

Edited by Downtime - 23 May 2012 at 1:59pm
sdo1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 10:18am
Hi guys I know this is an old 1. Do any of you who've fitted your sockets facing out of the back of the armrest have any pics? I was thinking of doing both 1 inside and 1 out for the rear passengers as the 1 at the front gets on the way of 5th gear a bit depending on the type of plug.
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 6:26pm
I'll snap a shot when Wife brings the car home.....

EDIT
As promised - a couple of shots of the rear facing 12 volt accessory socket in the central armrest.

Please excuse the dirty car..... Wife hasn't been trained properly.

Edited by gadget - 16 Nov 2012 at 9:33pm
sdo1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 7:39pm
Cheers Gadget they're spot on.
2009 QQ Acenta 1.5dci in Nightshade
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 5:01pm
Quite a resurection here - just wondering if anyone had added a power supply to the boot and has pics of their install. Thinking about a cooler for the boot for long journeys/picnics etc Wink
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
PaulJ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 5:21pm
There is one in the centre rear armrest/seat back which you can access from the boot on the +2 Qashqai. Just plug a cool box into that.
2010 Qashqai+2, 2.0dci 4WD Auto, Tekna, Pearl Black
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 6:04pm
I had thought about that but the kids like to charge their pads in the car. Was hoping to have a more dedicated solution in the boot which could still be used when the +2 are us also.
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
gadget View Drop Down
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 12:14pm
I had one added in the boot when I had my towbar fitted for exactly that purpose.
It's on the drivers side and the guy just ran a cable from that all the way through to the front of the car (under the door entry trims) and connected it to a 10A cable to the right of the drivers footwell.
Sorry I can't be more specific.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2015 at 9:50am
Ordered a 12v output... will update this post when I've fitted it
Thumbs Up
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2015 at 4:29pm
I'm also interested in adding an always-on socket if that's easy to do.
2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
Stu_L View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 6:33pm
I'm looking at doing this extra socket mod too. Does anyone know off the top of their head which wire is +ve on the back of the existing 12V socket?
There's a black/white & a turquoise/white going into the rear of the socket on mine ...
Thanks !
Black 2012 1.5 dci N-Tec+
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 9:12pm
I'd hazard a guess that the black + white is the -ve. But a multimeter is always a sound investment on these sort of jobs just to be sure. 

I'll try and remember to get some pics when I do mine, hopefully in the very near future. 

Edited by cantfindausername - 29 Mar 2016 at 9:12pm
Stu_L View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 12:28pm
black/white was indeed the -ve
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 1:10pm
How did you route your cables and mount the additional 12v socket? Assuming you've completed the work.
Stu_L View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stu_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 8:29pm
Same as most of the others tbh. Power taken from the front 12V socket, cables routed through the centre console with the socket pointing outwards towards the passengers. Most of the panels came away easily & it was a painless job tbh. Drilling the 28mm hole in the rear panel was a bit hairy - get it wrong & you've screwed it right up, so check your position measurements twice before cutting as there's limited space for the socket depth & wiring.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 2:40pm
Ah ok, I think these must all be for the 5 seater. The +2 has a 12v socket in the middle rear seat. I'll be putting one actually in the boot for a cooler as the back seat socket will be used by the kids to charge their devices. I'll be running my cables a bit further in that case and will likely go down the side of the cabin under the kick panels. 
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:02pm
The side kick panels come up nice and easy with a tug.
If you go up the drivers side you can cable tie the wires to the loom and rear washer water tube that runs up the car,then fit the outlet in the right hand side boot lining or the Base of the recess in the side walls near the hatch opening.
old shape 2013 tekna 1.6dci
Newest car we have ever owned
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic