UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Wheels and Tyres
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Replacement Tyre Pressure Sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzyer_runkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement Tyre Pressure Sensor
    Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:18pm
Damaged the front wheel on my 2016 Tekna on a bl***y deep pothole.

Been quoted for a new wheel by a Nissan dealer, who says its not possible to remove the old TPMS, "it has to be cut off" so I will also have to buy a new one of those too.

Anyone come across this before?
Nick99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by bobzyer_runkle bobzyer_runkle wrote:

Damaged the front wheel on my 2016 Tekna on a bl***y deep pothole.

Been quoted for a new wheel by a Nissan dealer, who says its not possible to remove the old TPMS, "it has to be cut off" so I will also have to buy a new one of those too.

Anyone come across this before?

Yes that is certainly the case with the J11B Tekna+. Had the same problem with a pothole, new wheel and tyre over £500. I was lucky in so much as the dealer fitted the wrong valve so they refitted the correct one FOC.
bobzyer_runkle View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobzyer_runkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 1:44pm
Thanks for the reply Nick99, looks like I have no option.  

However I have just been reading the handbook and it states "the TPMS sensors can be used again" so I will point that out to the Dealer and see what he says!!
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 2:25pm
You can always live without the sensor and do it the old fashioned way, can always be added at a later date?
QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 6:43pm
Under the latest MoT I understand that if TPMS was installed originally ,they must be in working order.
I have no idea how the tester is going to test them.
Brian
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 9:46pm
I think that if you have them fitted, they need to be working correctly. Same as the rule that a spare wheel is not compulsory, but if carried it must be legal.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
GelJ View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GelJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 10:53pm
My existing TPMS were fitted into 2 new rims supplied under warranty.
terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Abh29 Abh29 wrote:

Under the latest MoT I understand that if TPMS was installed originally ,they must be in working order.
I have no idea how the tester is going to test them.

The tester will test them the same way they test your brakes on a rolling road.
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:11pm
Sorry ,but I am not understanding how they will check the TPMS is indicating the correct tyre pressures on a rolling road.
My previous BMW. e61 picked up if one side tyre was revolving at different speed , but my BMW e)84 has the sensors inside the tyre that actually indicates the pressure.

How will an error be picked up on the rolling road.
Brian
terry64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terry64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Abh29 Abh29 wrote:

Sorry ,but I am not understanding how they will check the TPMS is indicating the correct tyre pressures on a rolling road.
My previous BMW. e61 picked up if one side tyre was revolving at different speed , but my BMW e)84 has the sensors inside the tyre that actually indicates the pressure.

How will an error be picked up on the rolling road.

They are not looking for the correct presure just under inflation and the system working
The legal requirement for TPMSs to be fully functioning on cars with them fitted
The TPMS must show all 4 tyre pressures so if you have one wheel without the valve or not working I suppose you will get a minor.
New failures

There are new failures for:

• tyre obviously under-inflated on tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) equipped vehicles post 1 January 2012 (mark this as a ‘minor’ defect)
So I suppose they will run it on a rolling road if your TPMS does not show any pressures it would be deemed as not working correct.
If it does show all 4 trye pressures but one or more show under inflated you will get a minor.

The main problem is MOT stations advising people incorrect when there car has failed, some will tell you that you are not allowed to take your car and they can not allow you to drive it.

This is incorrect you may not be insured but you are allowed to drive your car  to an approved test centre or a garage for repairs.
Abh29 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abh29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:22am
Still not understanding the rolling road bit.
At present the car indicates the individual pressure for each wheel from data from that wheel.
If this has varied from those set previously it will tell me that before I drive off, so no need for the rolling road.
The only way I can see the tester being able to check operation is to release air from a wheel and see if it effects the tmps, ---not something a tester would do.
This requirement interests me as on both our QQ and the e84 BMWs they very rarely require air to be added --- cars are checked with gauge on drive when cold every 2 weeks. On the other hand for years 2 wheels on my e36 ( its the Z3 model) have always been losing a bit of air , we assumed it was due to them being split rims. At the last MoT [under old system] it got an advisory for tyre valves classed as Dangerous. The valves were perished , despite only 2 years old. Renew them all never loses air now.
It will be interesting to see how test stations that do not carry out repairs treat the new regulations.

I actually would like to see testing carried out under Government stations as is the present case with commercials. I would be doubtful if garages are testing correctly at some of the prices being advertised.
I am a firm believer in testing ,but correctly done its for all our safety.

Edited by Abh29 - 09 Jul 2018 at 6:29am
Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic