Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > NONONO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Retrofit ideas for new owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retrofit ideas for new owner
    Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 2:21am
Hi,

I'm a new qashqai owner coming from a BMW background where I did a number of successful factory retrofits. So looking for ideas to do on the new car. It's a 1.6L TDCI 128PS 2012 NTEC+ 4WD model.

Before people say "you should have bought a tekna" - retrofits are a hobby for me. Maybe I'm sad but this is an online forum about cars...go figure!

My list so far:

- OEM Xenon retrofit - including washers and levelling sensors. - PARTS OBTAINED.
- I-Key retrofit - this might be too ambitious.
- Reversing sensors PDC - DONE.
- Leather interior
- New manual gear knob - DONE.
- Retractable Parcel shelf. Seems as default only available for the +2. - DONE
- Towbar with detachable hook - DONE.
- Auto Mirror / Window Loom - ON ORDER.
- Shark Fin antenna - VG antenna ordered. Ummed and arrrred about Nissan one but I don't see a benefit - it still States DAB not supported. - DONE.

The xenons are my priority. I anyone don't it. I take it the vehicle will need reprogramming as well. I have a Nissan Consult 3 Plus unit so this shouldn't be a problem.

Interested to here from anyone with experience of the above.

Edited by oldmanyoung - 09 Mar 2015 at 6:22pm
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 7:23am
Should have got a tekna
However nothing wrong with a hobby.

Fitting the xenons must be all wiring,however they also need a washer system to be fitted by law,so there is another project.
old shape 2013 tekna 1.6dci
Newest car we have ever owned
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 10:49am
Deffo should have got a Tekna *ducks* Embarrassed.

Each to his own but my thinking is that by the time you have spent the £ and spent the time and (hopefully not) had to circumvent (I had that done at birth) any issues, you.................

Deffo should have got a Tekna *ducks* Embarrassed.

Still - your £, your time, your project.

Keep us posted and I promise not to say I told you so and I promise not to gloat if it all goes a bit Pete Tong.

Happy retrofitting Big smile.

QQ1 2007 Fired Iron 2.0 CVT 4WD Tekna
QQ2 2010 Magnetic Red 2.0 CVT +2 4WD Tekna
QQ3 2013 Gun Metallic 2.0 CVT Tekna
QQ4 2014 Ink Blue 1.2 CVT Tekna
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 10:58am
.................and (at the risk of sounding like a broken record) don't forget to tell your insurance company.  They will look for any excuse to refuse a claim and non-manufacturer's spec always has them licking their lips Angry.

When I insured my new baby QQ4 and they (AXA) asked if there were any changes to spec I told her I had the dealer fit Blackvue cams front and rear because AXA had to stump up (I have protected no claims, so just inconvenience) for a big claim on QQ3 which was not my fault but the Censored failed to stop and we couldn't get his number and the police couldn't (be ar5ed) to do it for me.  I thought they would be pleased or even reduce the premium as next time I can record it all.  No such luck - she even had to check whether this was an allowable spec change otherwise they would refuse to cover me Shocked.

WTF? Angry.

Had issues with Esure over changing wheels on a Saab too, so watch out with what you are planning.

Edited by G5 BOY - 06 Feb 2015 at 10:59am
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by G5 BOY G5 BOY wrote:

When I insured my new baby QQ4 and they (AXA) asked if there were any changes to spec I told her I had the dealer fit Blackvue cams front and rear.  I thought they would be pleased or even reduce the premium as next time I can record it all.  No such luck - she even had to check whether this was an allowable spec change otherwise they would refuse to cover me Shocked.
WTF? Angry.

G5 BOY, most likely you spoke with a working student that fills "operator" position in AXA and they are like trained monkeys, with no sufficient knowledge and experience to judge whether this is Pros or Cons for AXA. That's why you got such comment from them.
oldmanyoung View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 2:11pm
Haha lots of Tekna answers there. Thanks. However I get bored with cars very quickly unless I can play about with them. No 3rd party crap - OEM retrofits all the way.

So I take it no one has done any of the above? Wow.

I forgot to add one thing to my list above: tow bar. I've now added this yesterday with detachable hook. Bumper off and wiring was a doddle.
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 3:21pm
Wow or not,we are just pointing out had you bought the tekna to start with, you could be adding stuff like headrest dvd monitors and survivor tv screens.
Don't forget the auto close/open mirrors and auto up window looms.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 4:40pm
Ok. I can see I'm getting no where. I am fully aware if I'd bought a tekna I would have all of these nice things, and could spend money on dvd headrests etc.

1. As I keep stating, I do this as a hobby, and installed several OEM retrofits for friends. I'm a trained mechanic (albeit not worked in a garage for years) and like playing with cars.

2. The kids have iPads so don't need DVD headrests.

Let's be honest, a Nissan qashqai even a tekna is no luxury vehicle. I'm not a complete plank and blindly bought an ntec plus in the hope it was too of the range. It was a deliberate decision so that I could install extras myself and in doing so gain knowledge in the mechanics and electronics of the vehicle.

On that note - thank you for the auto mirrors / windows looms. I've ordered them!

Any technical knowledge greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by oldmanyoung - 06 Feb 2015 at 4:55pm
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 5:23pm
I understand your hobby.
On my saab 9-3 convertible I added an aero interior with heated electric seats,cruise control,saab amp,boot mounted 6 cd changer and speakers,6 point subfrare frame brace,braided brake lines and such.
Your interior swap should be straight forward (except the leather front seats have bum warmers in them) and the centre console were your 4wd switch is houses the heater switches.
The xenons and washers would be best to find a tekna front plumber with the washers fitted.no idea were the level gubbins is kept.
I assume you have the 360 vision, so rear parking sensors is belt and braces,after market are cheap and reliable,the tekna audio also has bose speakers and a boot underfloor mounted subwoofer.

Edited by bryan3 - 06 Feb 2015 at 6:29pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2015 at 6:15pm
Cheers for that.

I'm downloading the parts catalogue at the moment. Cheers!
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 12:18am
TBH apart from the Xenon there is nothing extra on the Tekna I wanted that why I went for a n-tec then a 360. If we do do go for the new model QQ when the time comes we will prob go for Tekna this time but I wish you could specify no leather & 18" wheelsBig smile

Oh & I agree with G5 I hope your insurance Co is ok about it. I've come across plenty that can be a right pain regardless of whether its OEM parts or not, if it wasnt standard on your spec of car they dont want to know.
Good luck to you though back in the day when I was fit & able I used to enjoy adding stuff to my carsThumbs Up

Edited by ericos - 07 Feb 2015 at 1:50am
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
IndigoZoo View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoZoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 4:34am
Originally posted by oldmanyoung oldmanyoung wrote:

Let's be honest, a Nissan qashqai even a tekna is no luxury vehicle.

A tow bar and retractable parcel shelf are not my idea of luxury either. 
Ink Blue Tekna 1.5dCi arrived on time on 11 November 2014. Yay!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by IndigoZoo IndigoZoo wrote:

Let's be honest, a Nissan qashqai even a tekna is no luxury vehicle.

A tow bar and retractable parcel shelf are not my idea of luxury either. 

Great. Thanks, that's very helpful. Although I do agree! However Towbar I need for work and well, my retractable parcel shelf is awesome in my opinion.

Anyway, for those interested I've sources all the parts I need for the xenon retrofit. Washers and wiring included.

After reading the ESM it doesn't appear too bad. The issue I have is re programming of BCM to reflect xenon change. I have only just installed Nissan Consult plus. My question is if BCM is actually same hardware in both xenon and halo fitted vehicles? Anyone know the part numbers? Haven't found it on the parts catalogue I have.

Re insurance. I've never had a problem with OEM retrofits. Having done several BMW / VAG retrofits I've spoken to many insurance companies and if parts are OEM and MOT passed they are fine.

Edited by oldmanyoung - 08 Feb 2015 at 12:35pm
G5 BOY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
FORUM GRANDADDY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G5 BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 1:07pm
Well that's OK then.

Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 1:41pm
Don't forget pictures when you've finished
1.2 DIG-T Tekna storm white...
AKA x x x x " Tek-Kong " x x x x
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 4:40pm
Oldmanyoung
BCM sftw / hw is the same, as soon as you connect a headlight levelizer it will recognize it and the only thing is to initialize and calibrate it with Nissan Consult 3+. The only downside could be a fact that you won't be able to activate it with free version of Nissan Consult as it is too obsolete. Qashqai J11 is supported from version 33.1 and the current version is 45.1.
I retrofitted xenon headlights on my old QQ J10. I had the wiring there, so not much work, only installation of levelizer, headlights motors and little mod on headlight connectors which enables xenon burners.

Edited by duncho - 08 Feb 2015 at 5:39pm
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 4:52pm
I have ability to buy Nissan Consult 3+ v44.1 for $100 but I think it won't pass the activation as it is genuine DVD (clone). Do hou know anybody who knows how to bypass/ hack it? We could buy it and share the cost if we could make it to work. Still, it's not the newest version and we will miss support of FEB for which v44.4 or later is required.

Edited by duncho - 08 Feb 2015 at 5:37pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 9:00pm
Thanks duncho,

I'll do some resarch re consult activation.

By the way for your xenon headlamp retrofit - do you have service manual for this? I can't find it. :(

Also, once leveller is initialised you must remove manual adjustment?

duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 9:05pm
I do have J10 ESM, will send you the link. You said you need for QQ 2012?
You need to remove manual adjustment prior the installation of the leveller. I haven't tried to keep both.

EDIT:
I uploaded 2012 Qashqai ESM for you. Here is the link.

Edited by duncho - 09 Feb 2015 at 9:40pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 3:41pm
Thanks! Haven't had time to do this yet. But just installed my cobra parking sensors. All good so far.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:32pm
New J11 gear knob in. Its a perfect fit. Same connector as J10.

http://imgur.com/a/3LqH9

Edited by oldmanyoung - 18 Feb 2015 at 9:33pm
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:42pm
nice! 
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:53pm
That's great, I've seen the newer J11 gear knob online and always wondered if it would fit my J10 so thanks for that.
2010 N-Tec 1.5dci Café Latte, mudflaps LED int lights front/rear styling plates (painted) auto mirror kit chrome front/rear fog rings flip key fob NEW genuine Nissan DRLs fitted! Lovin' it everyday!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:19pm
Some guy is selling them for £20 on eBay. No idea how he's doing it that cheap, but it's definately genuine or an exceptionally high quality clone. I suspect a Nissan factory employee lol.
bryan3 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bryan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:48pm
How does the gear knob fit?
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 10:11pm
You simply pull off the one in your QQ and push the new one back on.

Edited by Lee'71 - 19 Feb 2015 at 10:12pm
2010 N-Tec 1.5dci Café Latte, mudflaps LED int lights front/rear styling plates (painted) auto mirror kit chrome front/rear fog rings flip key fob NEW genuine Nissan DRLs fitted! Lovin' it everyday!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 10:11pm
It fits well. As you can see on my photos the J10 shaft has an adapter on the end which has 3 'fins' for want of a better word. The J11 knob fits this as well. There is slight bit of movement so I assume the knobs are held on with a small bit of adhesive.

Getting the J10 six speed knob off was difficult. I read reports that it just pulls off. Mind certainly didn't. In the end I just hacked it off with some large grips, crushing the plastic until it was loose enough to pull off leaving the adapter behind, still attached to the shaft.

I have to say this is a decent mod. The new gear knob is a lot more comfortable. I do a lot of town driving so change gear frequently. It feels much more durable.

Edited by oldmanyoung - 19 Feb 2015 at 10:12pm
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 10:15pm
I replaced my original one as it was badly scratched and it did just pull off although it needed a real hard tug.
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 11:45pm
Just subscribing for updates. Interested in the Xenon retro fit as this is something I would consider if I go for anything less than Tekna. Still not decided. 
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:35am
Originally posted by cantfindausername cantfindausername wrote:

Just subscribing for updates. Interested in the Xenon retro fit as this is something I would consider if I go for anything less than Tekna. Still not decided. 

I am still umming and arring about this. For me it would only be a viable option if I could install an HID kit in the original halogen projector clusters. I believe the halo clusters are marked suitable for HID. In which case for a legal and factory retrofit you'd only need headlamp washers and auto levelling arm and harness, BCM reprogrammed also I believe. Duncho can you confirm?

If it's the case of having to spend another £500 on top for HID headlight clusters then I may give it a miss.
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 9:41am
Just questioning, but could a set of generic H4/H7 (whatever standard fit bulb is) be put into the standard projectors? I know it wouldn't have all the legal blah blah wash this and level that, but could it be done?

I've run HID installs on a couple cars before and never had a mention from an MOT tester.

Was there a date when all the legal stuff came legal? My Mitsi Evo 8 had factory fit HIDs but no washers etc.
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:22am

I am still umming and arring about this. For me it would only be a viable option if I could install an HID kit in the original halogen projector clusters. I believe the halo clusters are marked suitable for HID. In which case for a legal and factory retrofit you'd only need headlamp washers and auto levelling arm and harness, BCM reprogrammed also I believe. Duncho can you confirm?

If it's the case of having to spend another £500 on top for HID headlight clusters then I may give it a miss.

illegally used H7 HID kits on headlights (QQ J10 pre-facelift version), which has non-projector headlights. That was massive improvement how they performed. When I compared them to OEM Xenon headlights I had on my VW Golf, those were like a fart in pants. I didn't have auto-leveler in that time, just adjusted them as they suppose to be and it was fine. The only time I've got flashed by others was at rainy night, due reflections from water on road.

After I made facelift upgrade on my '07 plate QQ J10, I already bought genuine Xenon projector headlights. I didn't think of legalizing them in that time, but after I saw that someone is selling QQ headlights leveler for 20 bucks on eBay, I changed my mind and bought it. Then I was lucky and found also genuine headlights washers for 69 bucks. The only needed parts were washer tank and headlights washer relay. After I installed everything it started to work straight away, however self leveling did not work as it should, so I visited dealer to initialize the headlights leveler with Nissan Consult. After that it works as a charm, just like it would be installed in the factory.
twocues View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 8:58am

It fits well. As you can see on my photos the J10 shaft has an adapter on the end which has 3 'fins' for want of a better word. The J11 knob fits this as well. There is slight bit of movement so I assume the knobs are held on with a small bit of adhesive.

Getting the J10 six speed knob off was difficult. I read reports that it just pulls off. Mind certainly didn't. In the end I just hacked it off with some large grips, crushing the plastic until it was loose enough to pull off leaving the adapter behind, still attached to the shaft.

I have to say this is a decent mod. The new gear knob is a lot more comfortable. I do a lot of town driving so change gear frequently. It feels much more durable.

Hi,

Just subscribing to this thread....

Also I have sent you a pm about the gear knob.

It does indeed pull off but you need to be Hercules to do it.

Could you confirm that your 3 fins on your actual lever were offset? From your pictures they seem about 45 degrees from straight?

My fins are very perpendicular i.e. the middle fin sits at 6 o'clock exactly and the J11 knob that I have is at 45 degrees and looks like it would fit your offset fins. 

Frustrating!

Just trying to decide if my QQ is different from yours or if I have a dud knob (if you'll pardon the expression!)

Many thanks for any help!

Edited by twocues - 27 Feb 2015 at 8:59am
2012 1.6 DCI Tekna +2 Mineral Grey.
Styling plate, Aces folding mirror kit, 2015 gear knob, mud flaps, Bee sting antenna, LED sidelights, club sticker :) more mods to come...
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldmanyoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 4:13pm
Parking sensors done!

Yes, the car needs a wash!

duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2015 at 4:20pm
Nice job! Do you have 4 sensors installed? If so, you could move those on left and right side more to the corners :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic