UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > General Specs and Technical Details
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Rubbish in Snow !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:26pm
lost me there supermop all i had was a cap no dipstick cept myself .so baffled by your comment removed cap to fill reservoir no other way that i could see .nothing fitted to cap .but have facelift so appreiciate your observation but no dipstick on facelift otherwise i would have not lost my cap .god bless lol
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by SuperMop SuperMop wrote:

Originally posted by hamish hamish wrote:

O.M.G LOL

Are these plastic caps not attached to the filler neck then? Think I'll add this to accessories for the Nissan Investigation team...

Talk about short cuts..

thought I would add a comment to the "stupid the washer cap is not connected" as the people who have their QQs are misleading those who are still waiting ....

OK, the washer cap is NOT connected - I will accept that point, however ... fitted physically to the washer bottle cap is a flexible dipstick type affair about 2 foot long and there is absolutely no need to remove the filler cap and 2 foot of dipstick in order to fill up the reservoir -  simply put the cap off and leave it lying within 12" of the filler tube and you still got 12" or so of dipstick in the tube keeping it from doing a runner.

Now ... if they decided to remove the dipstick (it is not a lot of use in that respect if that is what it is) from the cap on the facelift QQ, it would be annoying as it was ten times better then one of those caps that are attached with a little plastic hinge affair that always breaks after 10 times or so.

As much as I'm trying supermop, I just can't picture this or how it works. Might jsut be me and late night brain fry, but heck..

Oh, hang on..the dipstick is attached to the cap yes? SO in order to loose it, you need to loose 24" of further plastic..dipstick. Right, I've jsut never heard of a washer bottle having a dipstick...
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:38pm
mine hasnt ???? just a cap thats comes completely off when i top up
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:44pm
be a bit hard to see the level of water on a dipstick think we might have our wires crossed with supermop
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:46pm
Got an idea.

You know that twisty stuff that ties around electrical cables or phone cables - you twist it and it nips tight. Well find a long piece, push a small hole through the filler cap, put the rest round the neck, twist and fold away. Then just lift cap and it's still attached.

Probably didn't explain that well...
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:48pm

It sounds like they have ommited this from the facelift - annoying! 

I guess this would be available as a option - or alternative a bit of work with a couple of ty-wraps and a drill or hot poker to make a little hole in the top to make your own secure retainer would work.

I do know how annoying it is to lose a filler cap - I topped up with oil one time and forgot the put the cap back on.  next time opened bonnet, bonnet underside and engine covered in oil Embarrassed

Edited by SuperMop - 07 Dec 2010 at 11:51pm
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by hamish hamish wrote:

Got an idea.

You know that twisty stuff that ties around electrical cables or phone cables - you twist it and it nips tight. Well find a long piece, push a small hole through the filler cap, put the rest round the neck, twist and fold away. Then just lift cap and it's still attached.

Probably didn't explain that well...

Hamish - you and I had same idea at same time Thumbs Up

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:57pm

my vectras filler cap is secured not by a hinge but by something more similar to a cable tie lol, the plastic cap has a plastic circle attached that cant come over the rim of the bottle, well without a good yank so is pretty much impossible to lose and its lasted 2 and a half years so far...

hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 11:59pm
@Supermop Thumbs Up
Balmcake View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balmcake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:03am
Originally posted by kingarthur64 kingarthur64 wrote:

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone else thinks the 2wd QQ is absolute rubbish in the snow. Last winter i struggled once trying to get up a slight incline and the front wheels would not grip or get any traction at all, needed a bit of a push to get me going as I was holding everyone else up. Had a similar problem last week had to stop as traffic ahead was blocked up a hill and could not get started again for anything. I tried evertything no revs, high revs, side to side steering, again i needed a bit of assistance to get going.
Now before anyone says it's my driving I can assure you that i have encountered similar situations in the 30 years I have been driving and have previously never had any problems like these(as my wifes car will do low revs will eventually get you going). It is such a problem that it would definitely stop me from buying another QQ and in fact I suspect I will probably have something else befoer next winter.
Ay thoughts or similar experiences.   

I have the 1.6 petrol N Tec and find its a bit lighter in the icy conditions, I live on a slight hill so as soon as I have engine running nip it straight into 2nd gear and steady up, but this years snow and freezing conditions are worse than normal so I take more care, my son has a diesel car not a QQ but he finds they are a bit heavier going compared to the petrol one he had last year, anyway I have ordered some snow socks as 'chains damage alloys' and the snow socks can be put on with minimal fuss so when they arrive I will test them out and let you know the results, but judging by the videos I have seen of them in action they should help no end, I love my QQ and would only swop it for another maybe even a 4x4 version, perhaps the government will reconsider the tax on these cars if this weather is a sign of future winters.
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:15am

My Autosocks arrived today and I am quite likely to need them tomorrow Smile

Balmcake - "....perhaps the government will reconsider the tax on these cars if this weather is a sign of future winters."
I am sure they will - by increasing it to get more money Confused

Temp here is on the up again as the night goes on - moved up to a positvely balmy -12.6c so time for the deckchairs in the morning Tongue

Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:17am
LOL
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:17am
Good to hear Balmcake.

Be good to get your feedback on these snow socks. The more I read about them, the more I want some. And your feedback supermop.

Tax - that is jsut a big con. I saw a local news article the other night, where they were singing the praises of 4x4...and that was the partisan BBC

Edited by hamish - 08 Dec 2010 at 12:18am
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:29am
Oh Great - forecast:

As temperatures plummeted to -16c (3f) they issued fresh weather alerts for the east coast amid fears that a further 8in could settle on drifts left behind by last week’s unprecedented snowfall.

Forecaster Helen Chivers said: 'The snow is making its way south from Scotland and will start to hit the east coast during the early hours and throughout the morning rush hour.

‘It’ll then move further south into Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and down into Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire.’
Think I'm gonna get me some snow socks...
Balmcake View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balmcake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:30am
Originally posted by SuperMop SuperMop wrote:

My Autosocks arrived today and I am quite likely to need them tomorrow Smile

Balmcake - "....perhaps the government will reconsider the tax on these cars if this weather is a sign of future winters."
I am sure they will - by increasing it to get more money Confused

Temp here is on the up again as the night goes on - moved up to a positvely balmy -12.6c so time for the deckchairs in the morning Tongue

LOL Dont forget the suntan lotion, but seriously I sympathise with those of you in the far north, even a newscater said on tv yesterday that the south had it easy compared to those in Scotland and they had nothing to compare to the weather up there, I remember bad weather  around 1959 when we had to dig ourselves out of our homes with 6ft snow drifts but we carried on, but you have had it rough up there, i look forward to hearing your views on snow socks as I am waiting for mine to arrive and they are in Cumbria which has had it rough too.
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:42am

yeah its bad up here balmcake, even worse further north of me, there is places in the highlands with snow drifts upto 15-16 feet!!

here the snow drifts are averaging around 5-6 feet.. most of the roads as soon as they clear are covered again and they have been gritting ontop of the snow which is about as much use as hairdryer in a tsunami, as the grit cannot melt snow it only absorbs a small amount of surface water when in road contact which stops the roads having as much ice, was sideways twice on my way to work today... road to hotels not been cleared in 4 days just gritted ontop...

enjoy your weather before it gets worse people!!

(it was -13 when i left for work at 9am, and -10 when i left work at 3pm!! its not even warming to 0 in the afternoons anymore!!

and ive run out of de icer lol 4 cans in 3 days!!!
hamish View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
IMAM MUSTAFA GRAF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 12:49am
Mind you, this snow has had an educational benefit.

As the snow has packed, layer upon layer, and the bottom layers freeze because there is no air left and the weight of the snow etc etc..my young daughter has seen first hand how glaciers form. And on the garage roof, she can see how glaciers move with gravity...

She's done a little project for school, pictures, drawings etc..

Bless Hug
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 1:06am
congats hamish mate sounds like agood kid you got yourself thereThumbs Up
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 7:51am
i agree best car i have ever driven in snow.....we had 9 inches fall in a few hours here in ireland yesterday.....i told the wife i had to 'rescue' the kids from school as all buses cancelled, main roads were total bumper to bumper....went a local back road....you know the sort windy, hilly...well my first hill i came across a fellow in an un-named GERMAN rear wheel drive car...funnily enough he got about 5 feet up the incline...

well captain picard here engaged second gear and sailed merrily past...only saw two other cars on road..one in a ditch (renault lol) and a tractor (show off).....think nobody else was bloody mad enough to drive in 9 in ches of fresh snow....

so i say the qq is very good in the snow...but i say that a lot of people dont know how to drive in snow or ice...that is the problem...anyone agree..lolBig smile
2008 1.5 acenta..black..alphamirror..chrome fogs, handles, tailgate handle, grille,low profile wind deflectors, fitted sunshades, TTI 881 CB 68CT006 UK&EU
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 7:59am
Originally posted by craigfishin craigfishin wrote:

mine hasnt ???? just a cap thats comes completely off when i top up

neither does mine..and i dont have a facelift version......ummm this prob sound silly..but i assume your not putting screen wash in with your oil?...lol  LOL
2008 1.5 acenta..black..alphamirror..chrome fogs, handles, tailgate handle, grille,low profile wind deflectors, fitted sunshades, TTI 881 CB 68CT006 UK&EU
topographic View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topographic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 9:17am
Remember watching an old top gear (maybe the stig can confirm?) where they were driving on glaciers in Iceland or Sweden or Norway.  The locals all used auto 4x4's with very low tyre pressures.  They reckoned the advantage with an auto box was that a gear is always engaged when on the move.  If anyone else remembers, it was the show where they reinflated the tyres by using a cigarette lighter near the tyre valve.
hamacting View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamacting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 9:25am
My 2WD 2.0 dci was very unimpressive in the snow we've had recently, although that has been a lot of snow.  I've ordered Autosocks but the delivery vehicles can't get through.

However, can someone go into more detail about the "switch off anti-skid for snow / ice" ?  Why switch it off?

regards,
/alan

2009 model QQ+2 n-tec, 29-Oct-2010
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 9:26am

Wonder if I have a unique Washer Filler Cap?! Big smile

I have a weather station in the garden which I can connect to PC and t'internet.  Highest temp in the garden since 6pm last night was -10c and warmest during whole of yesterday was a sudden spike to -4c.

I recall about 15 years ago I had a Peugeot 306 and had to go up a slight incline to get out the housing estate I lived - the 306 just would not do it when we had a bit of a cold snap and a touch of black ice, but no other cars had a problem.  Don't know why some cars seem to be able to cope and other apparently similar cars have no chance Geek

patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 9:41am
no one more suprised than me how my qashqai 1-5 d n tech has performed so far just seems impervious to this weather .ok not too bad where i am but feel so confident and square on to the road .really feel as though i can go out and come back safe .touch wood its not false confidence .but i have driven all cars m/bikes i was a lorry driver in the forces and lorry driver in civilian life .driven 4x4s land rovers, austin champs, ford zepher staff cars ,hate bikes but passed my test in 67 not touched one since .the car i have now is wow factored and this forum is also wow factored .lang may yer lumb reek ..lolxx
kingarthur64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingarthur64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 9:44am
Quote - "so i say the qq is very good in the snow...but i say that a lot of people dont know how to drive in snow or ice...that is the problem...anyone agree..lolBig smile"

I knew someone would bring this up! I know how to drive safely in snow and ice, however when forced to stop on a hill, there is not a lot you can do to get going again from a standstill if the car is not getting any grip. And further I did get going using my experience but it took an awful long time! The other problem I had was that there was a lot of traffic coming down the hill in the oposite direction so care had to be taken.
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:01am
Originally posted by topographic topographic wrote:

Remember watching an old top gear (maybe the stig can confirm?) where they were driving on glaciers in Iceland or Sweden or Norway.  The locals all used auto 4x4's with very low tyre pressures.  They reckoned the advantage with an auto box was that a gear is always engaged when on the move.  If anyone else remembers, it was the show where they reinflated the tyres by using a cigarette lighter near the tyre valve.

they sprayed lighter fluid round the rim first then lit it...the sudden change in pressure of the tyre popping back onto rim put the fire out..cooooool......try that mr kwik fitClap
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:05am
Originally posted by hamacting hamacting wrote:

My 2WD 2.0 dci was very unimpressive in the snow we've had recently, although that has been a lot of snow.  I've ordered Autosocks but the delivery vehicles can't get through.

However, can someone go into more detail about the "switch off anti-skid for snow / ice" ?  Why switch it off?

regards,
/alan

when ur traction control is on you have limited control of the engine..when ur wheels slip power is cut to the engine...if you r in snow you may need a little spin of the whhels to move or go up hill etc...put as long as you keep constant revs you will get there...traction control drops the revs so you dont move....i remember trying to drive on a muddy field in an unnamed REAR WHEEL DRIVE GERMAN car....absolutly terrible until i turned the traction off...then i had no problems..
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:07am
Originally posted by kingarthur64 kingarthur64 wrote:

Quote - "so i say the qq is very good in the snow...but i say that a lot of people dont know how to drive in snow or ice...that is the problem...anyone agree..lolBig smile"

I knew someone would bring this up! I know how to drive safely in snow and ice, however when forced to stop on a hill, there is not a lot you can do to get going again from a standstill if the car is not getting any grip. And further I did get going using my experience but it took an awful long time! The other problem I had was that there was a lot of traffic coming down the hill in the oposite direction so care had to be taken.

lol..not judging your driving kingarthur...however....i woudl wait at the bottom until the hill was clear....simply because i wouldnt want anyone to slide into my q.....lol Wink
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:21am
all that money wasted on tyre machines when all the need is a can of lighter fluid and a match
kingarthur64 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingarthur64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:34am
I had to turn around actually on the hill and head back the way I had just come from as my original route was blocked up ahead with no sign of any movement, So I did a u-turn and was trying to head back home - thats when the problems started!
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:30am

Taking about driving skills, this is not commenting about any individual whatsoever or even driving in snow specifically, but I do worry that as times go on, and features are being added to cars, the kind of skills that people used to have to learn are being lost and where something out the ordinary happens, problems happen.

Every new car on the market - and for some years - has ABS brakes, so there is probably a whole generation of drivers who have a braking technique of just stamping on the pedal in an emergency and no knowledge of cadence braking;  Power Steering; Servo-Brakes; Self-parking cars which passes all responsibility on correct parking to the car, not the driver! The list goes on.

Not saying all the above are not good advances and I would not choose to buy a car without most (forget the self-parking, mind!!), but I would also know how to drive without them.

I would feel much safer being driven by someone like patch who enjoys all the features of a modern car but also knows what to do if those features pack up, rather then by someone who has only ever driven  cars from the last few years.

PS - I just wouldn't let him fill up the washer bottle LOL

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:39am
LOL on the washer cap....

well ive only had a driving licence for 3 and a half years supermop, 2 and a half of them driving a new car, but i have also spent time driving 50's 60's and 70's classic cars such as morris minors, austin A40, A55, Riley 1400, vw beetle beach buggy, to name a few, as dad likes to buy and restore classics and sell them on, so i wouldnt say all us young guys are useless without our driving aids lol
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:40am
i know what you mean mop
SuperMop View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

SUSPENDED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperMop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:53am
Originally posted by CraigQQ CraigQQ wrote:

LOL on the washer cap....

well ive only had a driving licence for 3 and a half years supermop, 2 and a half of them driving a new car, but i have also spent time driving 50's 60's and 70's classic cars such as morris minors, austin A40, A55, Riley 1400, vw beetle beach buggy, to name a few, as dad likes to buy and restore classics and sell them on, so i wouldnt say all us young guys are useless without our driving aids lol

CraigQQ - you may have noticed I said about those who had "only ever driven cars from last few years" rather then "young drivers".

There are plenty of older drivers without a clue I would not get in a car with!! 

Oh - re the washer cap with the dipstick ....  been thinking about that and maybe it is actually a stirrer to mix screen wash with water on a topup?  either way, stops me losing it Big smile

CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:56am
Embarrassed sorry supermop.... miscommunication on my part.

i have never let my mother drive me anywhere since i got my licence she is terrible!!!

yeah i remember a car of my mates having a stirrer attached for screenwash, i usually mix it before putting it in... or put the screen wash in and top up with hose if im in a rush which mixes it lol and foams it over the top of bottle lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic