Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Club Community > My Qashqai
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

scratch in bumper plastic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coop5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scratch in bumper plastic
    Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 11:26am
Guys.

Has anyone had any issue's with the black plastic trim.. I mean in terms of scratches! ?

I have noticed a bunch of fine scratches on my rear bumper, I have no idea how this has occurred as I am very careful when parking.

It just seems a quite weak plastic!?

Cheers
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 11:40am
Hi Coop5,

I had a similar thing - someone obviously who had parked next to me - opened their car door and caught the plastic trim above the offside front wheel arch. I used Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel and it certainly restored the colour. Whereas you can still see the scratches if you look closely, the colour of the trim has been restored by the gel. The only other thing to try is the black plastic bumper paint (spray can) sold by Halfords. I've used that in the past and it worked well. Again it doesn't remove the scratches but it hides them very well indeed. I don't believe you can (or should)use abrasive material of any sort to try and smooth out the scratches in plastic because it removes the texture and the colour - so you then need to use the black plastic paint spray. However the QQ bumpers are not actually black they seem to be a dark grey but the black plastic paint can cover a multitude of sins !!

regards,

Richard
If it looks too good to be true, then it usually is.
2013 QQ 360 Facelift 1.6 petrol in metallic black, Phillips DRLs, EGR bonnet protector and fog lamp bezels.
Coop5 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coop5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 11:55am
Cheers mate I might try some of that autoglym stuff. Mine really looks like it's been parked in a bush rather than someone damaging it. Its a strange one
RayBanJockey View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayBanJockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 4:25pm
I have terrible scratches on my rear black bits just above the red reflector, not only that but also a bit of white paint is scraped off from the bit above that (turns out that's made from black plastic too, underneath the paint).

I really just want to wring someones neck.

---------------

2011 Nightshade 2WD M/T 2.0 petrol 2012 - White - Tekna - 2.0 - CVT - 4WD
Coop5 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coop5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 4:31pm
It's very annoying and really stands out
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 4:34pm
Hello RayBanJockey,

I fully agree with that sentiment. My QQ was only two weeks old when some idiot parked next to me and not only scratched the front offside wheel arch plastic trim - there is also a small dent (about the size of a 10p piece) above the scratch. No paint was removed - it looks like a car door smacked it. Couldn't believe it when I went back to the QQ - it was on an Asda carpark and parked literally MILES from anyone else. There were no other cars around it either when we came out of the shop. Either a supermarket trolley or a car door. Methinks it is a car door. Like you - I could wring someone's neck. Some really careless people around. I fumed for quite a time about it - but realised there was nothing I could do. No security cameras in that part of the car park. Unbelievable - on a brand new car too.

Regards,

Richard
2013 QQ 360 Facelift 1.6 petrol in metallic black, Phillips DRLs, EGR bonnet protector and fog lamp bezels.
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 4:44pm
Its jealousy.... its a terrible thing and so so unfair.....
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 4:59pm
Meguiar's Ultimate Dash and Trim Restorer is the best I have ever found.

Apply it to any colour trim.  Works like magic.

PS:

I got the Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant for the trim.

Brilliant result.

Well pleased.

BEFORE:

AFTER ONE QUICK APPLICATION:

I'd say that was a good result:

Edited by allan40alt - 30 Aug 2013 at 5:03pm
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 6:14pm
Wow Allan that is a restored look and more, lovely, another meg product to add to mine then, yes my black trim is causing me a headache, very gritty, must be fine grit and tar, so will have to dedicate some proper time to my trim!! As for body work, either the dealer used some great hiding products on my car to sell, or over time, a few scratches have appeared on mine too! Some were back from Nissan on my bonnet, but what can you do about it without proof, they are not deep marks or unliveable but still annoying to discover on ones pride and joy, yes I park my car 'isolated ' where possible too! One can only do our best to protect, but sadly that's the public for you, like Fee said maybe a bit off jealousy but I don't think so or hope so!! Nice car to us but not a sports car or merc etc, my dad had an 1 week old brand new company car Audi, that was keyed, he was still very upset, even though not his own car! Really a gamble to how your car can survive life!!
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 8:06pm
Hi Allan,

Thanks for that - I saw the Meguiars Ultimate dash and trim restorer when I was in Halfords buying the Autoglym and did think about it. But your results are amazing - so I think I'll treat myself to a bottle of that as well !!

But my small dent is another matter. It's hardly noticeable to tell the truth unless you are really looking at it - but of course I notice it every time I look at the car and it annoys me. Maybe I'll see if I can get a quote to sort it.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard B - 30 Aug 2013 at 8:08pm
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 12:14pm
Hi Allan,

Can you advise where you got the Meguiars Ultimate Protectant Spray from ?? (Not the Ultimate Dash and Trim Restorer)I could only find one supplier on E-Bay and that was from the USA ?? Even on the Meguiars UK online shop, the product is not listed.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard B - 31 Aug 2013 at 12:40pm
LizzieK View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LizzieK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 2:21pm
I shall get some of that to clean up my current car before selling it once my QQ is delivered,
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 12:26pm
Hi,

Just as an update to my drivers front side dent - here's a photo of what it looks like:

Now it looks worse in this photo than it actually is due to the reflections. The dent is smaller than a 10p piece and is about 1-2mm at its deepest. You can also see the scratch below it in the paintwork and the scratch in the wheel arch trim.

Just been quoted £110 to put it right and that was without having a new plastic wheel arch trim fitted.

Unbelievable.

Regards,

Richard
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 12:53pm
Oh Richard, not great that! £110 sounds about the top end off a dent sort out!! My hubby put a dent the size off a tennis ball on his van, he is in the process off finding out the cost! He had the van from new so gutted, post the cost when found out, but he may not bother as on rear corner, he was lucky he didn't smash the light, on our gate posts, I've since insisted they went to the dump! And they have!! We both have damaged cars vans on our driveway! Nasty peculiar angle! Don't lke parking my qq on lawn but a straight on and off! Determined SB stays intact, good luck just purchased a meguires black ultimate protectant for bumpers, well halfords is on they way out from Lidl and tesco that I frequent! So couldn't resist, lolxx
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 1:15pm
Hi Kazlou,

Thanks for the reply. The Meguiars stuff does work well - I also have some Autoglym Bumper and Trim Gel and that is good too.

I have to be careful too as regards parking - our garage is quite narrow and backing the QQ in there is something my wife won't tackle !! But I am ultra careful with that - need to fold in the door mirrors before it goes in !!

I actually used Halfords black bumper and trim paint (spray on can) over the wheel arch scratch in the plastic and it has taken away 90% of the worst of the scratch. The repair man says it would need to have a whole new plastic wheel arch trim ordered up. The dent and scratch in the paintwork - well, the car was only two weeks old when it happened on that Asda car park. Sickened me off though. But the picture does make it look a lot worse than it is I have to say. You cannot spot it unless you look closely.

Thanks again !!

Regards,

Richard x

Edited by Richard B - 06 Sep 2013 at 1:16pm
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 1:42pm
This is what I got and used on my wife's car:

It's absolutely brilliant.

I got mine from:

PS: Sorry I took so long to get back but somehow I missed picking up again on this thread.

PPS: This doesn't get rid of deep scratches but I am told that a hot soldering iron can smooth them out if you go very carefully (never tried it myself!).

Edited by allan40alt - 06 Sep 2013 at 2:03pm
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 2:26pm
Some time ago my wife badly scratched her front bumper by running just under the bottom shelf of my work bench.

I smoothed the scratches away using a medium grade 'wet n dry' paper followed by a fine grade.

This left the bumper smooth, but very white where I had sanded.

I tried 'Back to Black' (rubbish) then I tried Bilt-Hamber Auto Balm which had a fair result and then I gave it a couple of coats of the Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant Dash & Trim Restorer.

That was in February.

Since then I've only had to apply one further coat and that was weeks ago.

This is a photo I took a few minutes ago (it would have been better if I'd cleaned it first but it's been raining and I have to go out in it again shortly!):

It really is the best I've ever used on trim.

Edited by allan40alt - 06 Sep 2013 at 2:38pm
Tigermad View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigermad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 2:27pm
I use autobrite very berry tyre and trim gel. It is brilliant and allows you to put on several coats according to how much gloss you want.

I have several deep scratches on my wheel arch trims. They are really expensive to replace. Also had 2 dents removed by chips aways third party debt remover guy. £75 for the first dent and £55 for the second dent since he was already there. Plus vat if course.
2010 Nissan Qashqai Tekna - Cafe Latte
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Richard B Richard B wrote:

Hi,

Just as an update to my drivers front side dent - here's a photo of what it looks like:

Now it looks worse in this photo than it actually is due to the reflections. The dent is smaller than a 10p piece and is about 1-2mm at its deepest. You can also see the scratch below it in the paintwork and the scratch in the wheel arch trim.

Just been quoted £110 to put it right and that was without having a new plastic wheel arch trim fitted.

Unbelievable.

Regards,

Richard

I'm not surprised at the cost to be honest Richard, that plastic trim piece alone is £115 to replace according to the bodyshop evaluator who checked my car after the accident(s)

Paintless dent repair, if the dent has not broken the paintwork is around £60-80 per dent, if it's broken the surface the panel will need to be painted, that can run anywhere from £100-1000 depending on the bodyshop, so £110 isn't too bad for a small repair to both sections.

Car's.. bloody expensive when anything happens aren't they?
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:38pm
Hi Craig,

Thanks for the info. Yes - it does seem from the consensus of opinion on here that the estimation I have been given is about right. Plus the fact that the plastic wheel arch trim is not cheap to replace either.

However - I've been looking it today and again - it isn't really THAT noticeable if you don't look close. The Halfords plastic bumper paint spray has done a reasonably good job of hiding the scratch in the trim - the dent has no broken paint surface within it - but the small scratch below it has - as you can see from the photo.

I will probably end up in Barlinnie Jail if I ever find out who did this to a two week old car. But the chances of that - are next to nothing.

I'll probably have to leave this til the end of the month and get it done then - just too much going on to get the car to the body shop in Glasgow over the next week or the week after.

But thanks to all for the comments.

Regards,

Richard
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 10:43pm
I know your pain Richard.. not a two week old car mind, I'd had the QQ atleast 2 years by this point but I parked up in the Asda a few towns over, parked at the top of the car park away from all the other cars to avoid parking door dents.

came back out to find the drivers side headlight with a deep gouge, dent the size of a football in the bumper, the wing bent, plastic trim piece scraped, wing scraped through to metal, edge of bonnet bent down and headlight washer wobbly..
From the hieght of the damage it must have been a lorry, who most likely didn't even realise he had done so as they don't feel it touch if it's the rear due to the suspension.

Went back into Asda who told me only the first 6 parking spaces are covered by CCTV as it's just facing the front of the shop for shoplifters. 

So, the second non fault claim within 2 years of ownership as the first was when I hit a deer on a country road.

After various attempts to fix the damage to my QQ after said supermarket damage, they couldn't match the colour to my liking, tried to repaint the trim piece instead of replacing it, scraped the paint off the wing inner when refitting the headlight and a few other various problems.. they ended up having to paint the entire car to get a colour match.

You can just about see the damage in these photos

Can't really make out the headlight gouge, or see that the wing is scraped 3/4 of the length of it!

Edited by CraigQQ - 06 Sep 2013 at 10:44pm
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:27am
Craigqq! That was not good for you either, some nasty mindless people out there. Did you insist that your car have a total re-spray, or did your insurance/ garage dicide that was the only route? how long we're you without your car, hope the respray job was to your satisfaction and did it go to Nissan or a garage off your insurance choice.as we are with tesco insurance and they decide what garage our cars go to? Last car seat, went to the ford repair shop, for when my husband went in the side off a BMW, low impact and just a new front bumper and number plate, £600, my husband said this chap with BMW didn't get angry at the time, we later found out it he never put a claim into us, for his 2 door damage, weird, we think car stolen or no insurance. Good though no increase to our policy, do have to grit my teeth when hubby drives qq, he is not a bad driver, but since losing his dad last year, has been distracted at times, but he knows how I adore car, I finally finished off claying car yesterday, he came home and said, be no paint on car soon, be he remarked car looked good, had to rinse rest off car to match in off course, but bonnet is feeling a little gritty again, compared to rear off car that feels superb, just got car polished and buffed, quick clean up myself and took daughter to her swimming training, phew with no minutes to spare, talk about time just on my side phew, tackling black bits today and wheels, just purchased megs hot wheels cleaner, says new on the bottle, was £9.99 for 750ml looked at simoniz that was £6.49 for only 500 ml pro rata and autoglm similar price for 500ml, so umm worth checking ml I reckon, thought megs was good doing the larger size too! Good luck guysxx
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 12:16pm
Hi Craig,

Wow - that is pretty bad - and on an Asda car park again - same as me. I had the same tale from them because I parked well away from the front door and any other cars - no security cameras on the back of the car park. My damage (compared with yours) pales into insignificance I have to say.

Thing too is - because I was made redundant over two years ago now - I sold my car at the time as couldn't justify having two cars. My wife was still working - so we just used the one car. BUT when I then bought the QQ I suddenly discovered - because I hadn't held any car insurance for just over two years - my 9 years No Claims bonus was defunct and I had to start all over again with 0% No Claims bonus. So you can imagine why I don't want to make any insurance claim on this repair. Even if I did - I'd still have to pay the first £150 excess. So it's a waste of time trying to use the car insurance anyway.

God - owning a car is a real financial burden around your neck these days as it is and the mindless idiots that cause damage to other people's pride and joy with their poor driving and parking habits just add to the misery. I guess we're all the same and try to take as much care as we can - but walking away and leaving probably the second biggest financial investment you have (next to your mortgage)on a car park, on a street, or anywhere at all - is a gamble we all have to take at some stage or other on a daily basis. I now will NEVER park anywhere in a tight space or anywhere near another vehicle if I can avoid it. I don't care how far I have to walk as a result afterwards !!

** Edit: I'm going to try and pull out the small dent with a small rubber sucker I have here and see what happens. Got to be worth a try !!

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard B - 07 Sep 2013 at 12:20pm
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 3:59pm
Good luck there Richard, yes it does bring it home that your car is your second biggest purchase to house, and they do seem vulnerable any car left here and there. And allways a risk, we have not got an Asda in our city, but I do like to park in the mum and tots section, all my children are in school now full time etc, so feel a little cheeky but if someone said anything to me I would say, " we'll shopping for four children" we make our twins let us open doors as they are only seven, iff parked near another car. As just in a split second you could have a damaged door, didnt rate the meguires wheel cleaner, stick to iron- x or simoniz, in future. Fully followed instructions, just heavy rained here with a few flashes and rumbles off thunder, but some good beading from the meguires quick detailer with clay bar and meguires polish, scrubbed the black trim, removed some more grit, has anybody clayed the black bumper parts, I clayed back window, pleased with the result, but not sure on plastics, might grab out some more contaminants, thanks guys xxx
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 7:03pm
Hi Kazlou,

I didn't have any luck trying to pull out the small dent with the sucker I had - I was able to pull quite hard before the suction gave up - but it made no difference !! Guess I need a stronger sucker. Thing is - the smallest dent puller you can get is 55mm and that is way far too big for the small dent I have.

Like you - I used the Meguiars Tyre Gel but didn't find it particularly easy to use - maybe I need to improve my application technique !! I've spent a small fortune on polish, bumper tyre and trim gels already for this car !! Gotta stop. Haven't used the clay technique however - but guess I don't quite need that for a month old car.

Raining here too - periods of sunshine and then heavy showers. QQ is back in garage and no more polishing for me I'm afraid !! 1000 miles now on the clock after 5 weeks of ownership.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard B - 07 Sep 2013 at 7:04pm
BlackDog View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 7:10pm
sorry to hear about your troubles. I had a car bumper damaged at ASDA. It was deeply scratched and dented. I rang chipsaway. They charged me £100 to come out and repair it. I couldn't tell where it had been once they were finished.
1 59 Visia 1.5dci Flame Red
2. 11 Acenta 1.5 dci Black
3. 14 Acenta 1.5 dci Black
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 7:33pm
Crikey stear clear off Asda shoppers then guys n girls, oh well Richard brave you for trying, it was worth a go with the sucker, as I've heard small dents can ping back to particularly near perfection, so heartbreaking to hear you and others having such an early dent on brand new cars!

Interesting what you said on meguires wheel treatment, I rate the other products, but I think it wasn't us, it's the product, as using the other makes gave good results, I found it moved the grease around, and my wheels weren't even that bad,

Good idea that Blackdog about chips away!! And locally my dad got a small dent sorted for £80 I've just remembered, xx
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 7:41pm
P.s Richard found the tyre gel o.k not the new alloy cleaner, it says new on bottle, not used or seen it before this week, but megs tyre gel o.k, but yes takes a bit off practice, I find the inner bit hard next to alloys, hoped to apply megs dash and bumper restoration product but rained stopped play, yes I must stop spending, or car won't get new drive,   
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 7:58pm
You need to use the Meguiar's applicator.

Very easy to apply with one of these:

Edited by allan40alt - 07 Sep 2013 at 8:02pm
CraigQQ View Drop Down
Premier
Premier

ooooh shiny..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:15pm
Kaz,
It was the garage's decision to paint the whole car, they even lied to me about having done so.. However due to my job I can very easily tell a repainted/repaired panel to an original one, and have tools to do so as well (Guages, to measure paint thickness, portable colour check lighting to check for colour match ect)
Even then they continued to lie to me, it was nationwide, picked by insurer.  The repair is average I'd say, but I was sick of dealing with them so took it and removed the defects left in the paintwork myself.
Remember, you don't have to accept the bodyshop your insurer picks, I certainly won't ever again.
It's your rights to pick the bodyshop then your insurance has to agree a labour rate with them.

Richard,
Asda seems awful unlucky for us QQ owners haha. 
I'm right in saying it's the front wing correct?
Depending how handy you feel, you could remove the wheel, unbolt the arch liner and push the dent from the rear, instead of using a puller/sucker of some type. 
This is what PDR(paintless dent repair) guys do, however you'd need to be careful of overpushing it and ending up with an inverted dent!
Heating the panel helps to make the metal easier manipulate but you'd need to be very careful not to overheat and damage the plastic trim.

Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:27pm
Hi Kazlou, Black Dog and Craig,

Thanks for all the tips and comments. Craig - you certainly seem to have a good knowledge as regards body work and paint jobs. I think I'll maybe try your tip of removing the wheel arch liner and seeing if I can get to the back of that dent and try (very carefully) to push it out - it might just pop out with a bit of pressure from inside. I take it this panel isn't double skinned ?? It's a jack up and wheel off job too of course. Not likely this weather - and our garage is too narrow to work inside. However - it is worth a try and I will have a go eventually. Yes - it's the front drivers side wing just above the top of the wheel arch trim. I don't know about heating it up though - I'd be VERY nervous about damaging the paintwork as the dent has no paint removal or scratches in it.

Thanks too for the tip on the Meguiars applicator pad for the tyres. I did see that at Halfords when I bought the Tyre Gel. I guess it is only impregnated with the same stuff that's in the Tyre Gel bottle too. It does work and does give a lasting black shine - I just found it messy to apply. Maybe I should have been using a sponge instead of a rag.

Thanks again for the hints and tips everyone !!

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard B - 07 Sep 2013 at 9:30pm
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:48pm
It's not impregnated; you drizzle a little from your bottle onto the pad.

Certainly makes easy work of it.

Good luck.

Al.

Edited by allan40alt - 07 Sep 2013 at 9:48pm
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 10:03pm
Hi Alan,

Thanks for that !! Maybe I'll invest in the sponge applicator (another trip to Halfords - they just LOVE it when I appear !!)

Craig - I downloaded the QQ Nissan Workshop Manual from somewhere in the US the other evening. It is for Dualis/Qashqai and deals with both RH and LH drive versions of the vehicle. I was just looking at it a moment ago and the wheel arch (and bumper)trim are made of Polypropylene which will (according to the manual) withstand heating up to 90C. Also looking at the breakdown of the body parts - I see no reference to the wheel arch inner liner. I was looking to see where the fixings are. But strange that it does not seem to show the liner at all. The manual (for the J10 version) comes in two parts - one for ESM (Electronic Service Manual) and one for EBRM (Electronic Body Repair Manual). Very interesting looking through the thing. But one thing gets to me - when looking at the wiring diagrams - I cannot seem to locate the wiring colours. However - it is interesting to try and figure out !! But not very straightforward at all. I'd like to see the new Haynes Manual for the QQ when it is released next month.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard B - 07 Sep 2013 at 10:22pm
Richard B View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 10:13pm
Hi Craig,

Here's the Nissan QQ body parts diagram with the description of parts underneath. No mention of front wheel liner however:

Other members may find this interesting ??

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard B - 07 Sep 2013 at 10:25pm
Kazlou View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 11:12pm
Hi guys, thanks for the replies, thanks Craig didn't realise you could pick your own garage, great to know,
Thanks Allan, yes did purchase an megs application pad on last visit, yet to use, I did have a applicator pad from carpro.com. But thought the meg's one looked a lot less messy to apply, hoping to apply some tyre wall treatment tomoz to Finnish wheels, then going to use autoglms tar remover on front bumper whitch is very gritty etc, then use the bumper restorer, talking to another female neighbour on car cleaning, she said no car cleaning is a five minute job iff done nicely, and they all want me do do theirs, getting an OCD reputation round here, one off my male neighbours cannot get over my cleaning knowledge, dedication, it's all done to the qq club, so thanks very much, my car is well looked after, praps we should get into this supermarket 'on line shopping' too! Just a thought, one less car damage journey to avoid eh

Great diagrams there Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic