UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J10 Qashqai 2006 - 2013 > QASHQAI+2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Skid Plate I think that's what it's called !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skid Plate I think that's what it's called !!
    Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 8:42pm
Any links to purchasing Skid plate for the QQ+2 Tekna Black 2011 - I live in Ireland thanks In advance
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:18pm
The Nissan 'technical' term for it is a styling plate and here's the cheapest front one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Qashqai-Qashqai-2-J10-Genuine-front-styling-plate-2010-Jan-2014-/261433947538?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cdead7592

and the rear:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Nissan-Qashqai-2-Rear-Styling-Plate-KE540EY042-RRP-117-56-/181383671983?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AQashqai&hash=item2a3b4f30af

Both are genuine Nissan items so are of good quality. If they won't post to you in Ireland buy them and send them to me and I'll send them on to you if you send me the postage cost but do bear in mind they are quite large so postage may be expensive!

I've had my front and rear ones sprayed to match the colour of my 2010 QQ and they look pretty good if I say so myself!
J10 sold and now proud owner of 2014 J11 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium, bonnet struts & plenty of bling!! Still lovin' it everyday!
rcrell1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 9:46pm
That's brilliant and thanks for the offer of posting I will check them out - my QQ2 is black would the default grey look well or any suggestions - thanks again
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:00pm
To be honest, in my personal humble opinion, the 'bare' item looks a little funny unpainted. It looks as though it fell out of an Airfix kit as it's a dull light grey . They really do look so much better painted. I'll try and post a pic of mine in the next day or so if you want to see it?.
J10 sold and now proud owner of 2014 J11 1.2 DiG-T Acenta Premium, bonnet struts & plenty of bling!! Still lovin' it everyday!
rcrell1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2014 at 11:08pm
That would be great - would love to see it in your QQ thanks again
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:27pm
Email on it's way to you!
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 6:48pm
The front Skid plate looks fine but I looked seriously into the rear one on the +2 and it didn't look right IMO. There was no black from the bumper above the skid plate and so just met the paintwork and think even if you painted it, it wouldn't look right unless it was chrome or a different colour to the car. In the end I just put some 7mm chrome trim to brighten it up. There is a Nissan proper metal add on where I put mine but cost a lot so went for a cheaper option....😉

This is what I mean......

.       .   The +2 rear styling plate just doesn't look right to me.....

Edited by Affman - 18 Apr 2014 at 7:22pm
2011 Qashqai 2.0Ntec+2,Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs 6.5yrs off happy 7 Seater motoring and still looks the nads..👍
rcrell1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2014 at 11:52pm
I totally agree I'm not mad on the back skid - I order front one but I think I may spray it as it looks a bit dull by default - with regard to the chrome insert you used on the back mind me ask where did you purchase the chrome strip - any links - thanks again for posting the pics - really appreciate it
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 12:00am
iirc correctly Aff used generic strip that comes on a roll that he cut to length & stuck on. Dont think it was a specific QQ part.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 8:48am
ericos is indeed correct.
This is the sort of stuff. I was asked about this the other day. All I will say is that mine is now 3 years old and the chrome has worn off and become faded so it needs redoing, but it's not expensive as you can see. Just type 7mm chrome strip in ebay.

2011 Qashqai 2.0Ntec+2,Gun Met.Chrome Pack,SideBars,Window Trims,Rear Fog Bezals,Boot Handle,Bumper Trim,Skid Plate,Blue Int. LEDs 6.5yrs off happy 7 Seater motoring and still looks the nads..👍
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 8:54am
I used the spare on the grill below the front number plate, before and after pics below....

Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 8:57am
Here's a link to a genuine Nissan chrome strip for the rear bumper on eBay, it's a bit expensive but then it should(!) last longer than Affman's one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSAN-QASHQAI-CHROME-TUBE-REAR-BUMPER-FINISHER-2007-2013-/251354186969?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AQashqai&hash=item3a85e084d9

Also you wouldn't have any left over if you wanted to do the front grill.
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Lee'71 Lee'71 wrote:

Here's a link to a genuine Nissan chrome strip for the rear bumper on eBay, it's a bit expensive but then it should(!) last longer than Affman's one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSAN-QASHQAI-CHROME-TUBE-REAR-BUMPER-FINISHER-2007-2013-/251354186969?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AQashqai&hash=item3a85e084d9

Also you wouldn't have any left over if you wanted to do the front grill.

All I will say about the Nissan one, I have only seen 1 and was on and old members QQ about 3 years ago (Vern the old crooner.... )when he visited me round my house.
His was factory fitted when he picked up his Car up and was a proper Crome tube but was fixed to the bumper on small pillars which require drilling.
At the time I was intending on trading the QQ up after 3 years and didn't want to risk this, but it is a more permanent option......👍
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:15am
Good point, didn't know about the drilling part. Must admit that when I got my rear styling plate I didn't know it also needed holes drilling in the rear bumper for the locating pins but I just got the garage where I had it sprayed to fit it for me too so it wasn't a bother in the end.

Not being a member of these online photo sharing thingies I can't post a pic of my front and rear painted styling plates on here to show you as it keeps saying my pics are too large. Done it once or twice on here but I guess I was just lucky with smaller pics then!
renault1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renault1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:22am
it was me who asked aff the other day Thumbs Up.
could not justify paying the nissan price and for just a few pounds i find the chrome strip is just as good,plus if you get fed up with it just pull it of and it as cost you nothingThumbs Up
qqvisia,qq360,xtrailntec,now qq tekna,gun metallic,side steps,wind deflectors,mud flaps,nice car.
rcrell1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:57am
Thanks a lot guys great info - off to purchase the chrome strip on ebay
R
Affman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
Mr 'Off Topic'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 11:06am
Make sure you choose a warm day and clean the area with alchol cleaner (I used the wife's nail varnish remover pads....😉)....😄😄😄😄😄
rcrell1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 11:05am
Does the front plate need to be drilled onto bumper or can it be stuck
Lee'71 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee'71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 11:30am
There are two bolt holes on the lower part of the plate and you remove two bolts from underneath the bumper and use two longer bolts supplied (with the genuine Nissan item) and screw the longer bolts through the holes in the plate back into the bumper. Also on the inside of the top of the plate there are a couple of automotive adhesion tape strips which stick the top of the plate to the bumper.

So, in short, the plate is held in place by tape on the top and two bolts underneath. No drilling is required.

Hope this helps and is clear?!

Edited by Lee'71 - 27 Apr 2014 at 11:31am
rcrell1 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcrell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2014 at 6:58pm
Hi Lee many thanks for the info much appreciated
speculatrix View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speculatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 11:53pm
Need to be careful with some nail varnish removers, they could damage paint.
Alcohol wipes, like old CRT screen cleaners, are effective at cleaning.
I usually start with an old rag and wd40, then dilute washing up liquid, then the alcohol wipe.

2011 model QQ+2, n-tec, red, 2L turbo diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic