Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Useful Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Smell of new cars makes me dizzy...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surferride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Smell of new cars makes me dizzy...
    Posted: 06áJuná2014 at 8:22am
Hi community!

I will receive my 2014 new full Tekna Qashqai next week, so I am super excited because its the first time I buy a new car! :) 

There is only one thing that worries me and my wife a bit. We both tend to get dizzy on new cars because of their smell. We haven't clearly identified if this happens because of the new plastics and components during fabrication or with the combination of the leader seats, we are not sure, but we know we are not the only ones. Reading online we found a lot of people getting dizzy on cars because of its smell too.

For example when we both ride on the BMW with leader seats (maybe its just a coincidence) we both get very dizzy, specially while driving in roads with a lot of curves as we have in Switzerland. We think in this particular case is the smell of a "poet" perfume for the car that makes us feel strange. 

On my wife it has the worst effect, sometimes she even feels she will throw up. The brother of my brother in law has the same problem with his brother BMW and also feels dizzy. 

I believe the saying for our situation is: "Once is an incident, Twice is a Coincidence, Three is a Pattern. "

So as you can see we are worried about this, and that our car that will get delivered next week will make us feel dizzy too. We did a test drive twice with the same model of car we bought and we didn't feel it so strong, but of course it has been used for some months that model already.

Reading online, I found that one of the best and cheapest things you can try is Charcoal to absorb the odors. So I am going to buy a couple of bags in the supermarket and place them in boxes inside the car and leave it in for a couple of weeks, I think this should help.

I also read some people to make the car "over cook", that's is done by placing the heat very high and leaving the windows open a couple of inches, then after a couple of hours we should open all the doors to make sure it ventilates very good. 

Unfortunately we don't have a closed garage to leave the windows open overnight.

Did you have this experiences too? Do you know of other things we can do to neutralize all these new car odors that makes us dizzy?

Thanks for sharing your opinion and constructive ideas!

Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áJuná2014 at 12:43pm
Yup charcoal is great at absorbing odours. Also drive with windows open as much as possible.... good. Bit of fresh air helps.
Don't have any smells in mine... Apart from a yummy leather smell, which I top up with a smelly cleaner

2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
John C S View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áJuná2014 at 12:46pm
I read somewhere once that there is a lot of toxins in making the interior of cars and that this new smell can affect people.

Charcoal is possible a good idea. Another wacky idea but may possibly work is to put a bowl of water in the front drivers footwell overnight. Any oil based toxins vapours from the plastic will be attracted to the water.

Obviously, get the water out and throw away before you drive off!

The heat Idea you speak of is plausible as well. Wink

Good luck with it. 
John C S

Nissan Qashqai+2 2009 (Pre-facelift) 1.6 n-tec in Pearl Black
John C S View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John C S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áJuná2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Tiffany Tiffany wrote:

Don't have any smells in mine... Apart from a yummy leather smell, which I top up with a smelly cleaner

I love that leather smell! Only in cars you understand mind?Wink

I swear the the smell of new cars years ago was nicer than it is now. I remember my dad getting a new car as a kid and you almost didn't want that new car smell to go away!

Nowadays, it seems unwanted and toxic! Confused
John C S

Nissan Qashqai+2 2009 (Pre-facelift) 1.6 n-tec in Pearl Black
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áJuná2014 at 2:08pm
You're right there, John.
Although my car does smell of leather it's not strong.... In fact it's a weak leather smell.

So I use my conditioner purchased for lounge furniture.
"Leather preserve / conditioner" by Gliptone UK
And boy it does smell of leather.
Tiff
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áJuná2014 at 11:25pm
I heard similar as John said, but bowl with vinegar. I've got mine in mid of April and the odor is almost gone. I leave windows a bit open while the car bakes on the sun so that it can freely vent out.
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06áJuná2014 at 11:38pm
Have a nice big plate of curry the night before you pick it up, there will be other odours grabbing your attention then Wink
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áJuná2014 at 2:29am
Originally posted by duncho duncho wrote:

I heard similar as John said, but bowl with vinegar. I've got mine in mid of April and the odor is almost gone. I leave windows a bit open while the car bakes on the sun so that it can freely vent out.

Yup vinegar, I remember putting that in my reply to a member with a car stinking of cigs
surferride View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surferride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áJuná2014 at 2:15pm
Just water with vinegar, will have to try that one too, probably I will start with the Coal as I want to test if that helps, and then if it doesn't or to accelerate the process I will try the water with vinegar. Thanks a lot for sharing your opinions!
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surferride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08áJuná2014 at 2:38pm
I hope I am not breaking any forum rules, I wanted to share a Facebook Group for people like me that have these type of problems with diziness on new cars just for the sake of exchanging ideas and solutions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1420883908190378/

If this is agains the forum, please delete this message and sorry.
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áJuná2014 at 3:42pm
It may also have to do with the ride, BMWs have a relatively firm suspension and you tend to feel the G forces more, I am not exaggerating when I say the the 2014 QQ has the smoothest ride I have ever experienced in any car I have owned , this is probably due to its very effective dynamic chassis function.

Another tip it to buy an Aircondition deodorizer , these are sold in car supplies shops . They are mildly citrus scented and contain active substances which bind and absorb any smells. You switch on your AC to full blast with the recirculate function on, ,then activate the deodorizer can and let it discharge completely in the car while completely closed. Leave for about 10 mins , then air out the car. Repeat as needed. You will have a very mild citrus smell and no glue or leather odors .

I doubt if you will feel as sick in the QQ but I am happy to take it off your hands incase you do not want it anymore :-)

Edited by Kenobi - 09áJuná2014 at 3:43pm
2014 Pearl black Acenta premium 1.5 DCI , Connect and Safety pack. 14/03/2014
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surferride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áJuná2014 at 3:58pm
Just yesterday I was reading about these sprays and they seem to be very nice. I will try with the coal and of that doesn't help then I will do the spray thing. My wife's worry of the spray is that the spray may leave a worst or non pleasant smell 😀

Thanks for your suggestions!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic