UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai 2014 - > Qashqai 2014 > ICE - and Technology in the >2014 Qashqai
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

sound system is rubbish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sound system is rubbish
    Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 8:56pm
I know several people on here have said as much and i have to agree. My 2014 hasn't arrived yet, but swmbo has driven me about in hers quite a bit lately (i can't drive at the moment due to injuring my right hand).
So, the sound system is bloody awful, very tinny. I know some have said they were going to get their dealers to install spare wheel subs. Has anyone had this done yet and has it improved the sound at all?
What else has anyone tried to improve the sounds?

Brett
i owe, i owe, so off to work i go | 2014 1.6dCi Tekna 4x4 in Pearl Black
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:06pm
I have been contemplating changing either the 2 front or the 2 rear speakers with better bass producing ones and while I am at it maybe a pair of tweeters. If anyone has an easier solution, I am all ears.
2014 Pearl black Acenta premium 1.5 DCI , Connect and Safety pack. 14/03/2014
sandman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 9:13pm
Brett , if your driving (or being driven) in a 13 Qashqai isn't that the one with the Bose system? Far from tinny , maybe needs some bass adjustment. The 14 models don't have the Bose and some people find that a loss , personally I don't mind it but I'm tone deaf anyway
2014 Pearl Black Qashqai Premier Limited Edition 1.6Dci 4WD...Born on the 01/02/14 now with new carer on 27/6/16.
Proud owner of 2016 Pearl White X-Trail N-Tec
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 11:16pm
I think he means in a new one - wasnt it mavrik & other half getting one each & hers came early?
Cant comment personally but I'm quite happy with the non bose version in the 360 - but then I'm not too anal about such thingsWinkLOL
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
NotInMySpeedos View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotInMySpeedos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Kenobi Kenobi wrote:

I have been contemplating changing either the 2 front or the 2 rear speakers with better bass producing ones and while I am at it maybe a pair of tweeters. If anyone has an easier solution, I am all ears.

Based on my 2 test drives, I have to agree. The sound system is poor, but more or less on par with that provided as standard on most new cars.
It makes a noise for everyone in the car to hear, but has poor bass extension, muddy mid range, harsh highs.

@ Kenobi, just swapping out the front or rear speakers will not help much, if at all. OEM speakers have a high sensitivity rating (Maybe 95dB @1w/1m). They have this in order to produce a reasonable volume given the low power output of the head unit. Probably around 10 - 12w/channel at most.
Speakers with high sensitivity are generally poor at producing decent bass. (They have a thin, flexible cone + small linear suspension travel known as xmax)
So, swap your OEM door speaker for a decent woofer (85dB @1w/1m) and it may produce extended bass, but it will only be half as loud and end up sounding considerably worse. Unless of course you add an amplifier. At this point it's easier to just add an active subwoofer.

The tweeters are located under the full width trim cover just below the windscreen.
I'm not sure if this is easily removable. But anyway not a great place for tweeters if you're after decent sound quality. Ideally tweeters should be located in the A pillars or sail panels (Door mirror trim)

The headunit will also probably have some integrated DSP/Equalisation to make the best of the cars interior acoustics/speakers/speaker positions.
Even if you install some high quality aftermarket speakers, it could still sound no better and will definitely be quieter.
Few people will want to swap out the OEM headunit for the sake of improved sound quality, due to all the integrated features that would be lost.
You can add a processor, which does all sorts of cool stuff and allows full control of crossover points/slopes, equalisation and time alignment.

I have the sub, amp, processor, speakers etc. in my current car and will be transferring most to the QQ when it arrives in July.

sandman View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 12:54pm
Wow!! I just switch on and listen
Good knowledge and advice
2014 Pearl Black Qashqai Premier Limited Edition 1.6Dci 4WD...Born on the 01/02/14 now with new carer on 27/6/16.
Proud owner of 2016 Pearl White X-Trail N-Tec
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotInMySpeedos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by sandman sandman wrote:

Wow!! I just switch on and listen
Good knowledge and advice

I think it's only after you hear something substantially better that you realise what is lacking.

Applauso View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
NO STRESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Applauso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 1:29pm
It's fine. Its a car at the end of the day not an AV room.
1.6 Tekna Gun metallic
LightningMat View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LightningMat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 1:44pm
Wow, some people do get serious about their ICE!!  I, like most people probably, just turn it on and listen (mostly radio), so a decent setup would probably be lost on me.  If it distracts me from the monotonous commute then it's doing it's job just fine.

In fact, we have Bose systems in two of our other cars and can't say they are any better than any other car stereo.
Qashqai first-timer... 1.2 DiG-T Tekna in Storm White... on order!
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 2:09pm
yes i do mean "hers" it is a 2014 and it did come early
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 2:28pm
Thanks for the explanation NotInMySpeedos. The little 10"sub in my current QQ helped improve the sound overall.
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 2:33pm
I'm not a sound buff, i just know what i like. I spend around two hours a day in the car so would like to enjoy my music. If i think about it, it's about the only time a get to spend listening to music. The rest of the time (at work or home) it has to be headphones so as not to disturb.
Yes is is only a car, but it could sound better.

Anyone used the spare wheel subs that have been talked about? any good?
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotInMySpeedos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by mavrik64 mavrik64 wrote:

I'm not a sound buff, i just know what i like. I spend around two hours a day in the car so would like to enjoy my music. If i think about it, it's about the only time a get to spend listening to music. The rest of the time (at work or home) it has to be headphones so as not to disturb.
Yes is is only a car, but it could sound better.

Anyone used the spare wheel subs that have been talked about? any good?

Same here, and after 18 months tweaking I am at the stage now where the car sounds better than headphones.

There are a few spare wheel subs out there, this was mine.
Blaupunkt GTS6902A

Applauso View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna
NO STRESS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Applauso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 4:11pm
I don't understand putting it in the spare wheel area? Yes it must work I understand that but how as its covered over.
1.6 Tekna Gun metallic
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotInMySpeedos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Applauso Applauso wrote:

I don't understand putting it in the spare wheel area? Yes it must work I understand that but how as its covered over.

Low frequency sound is not easily stopped.
You need either a lot of mass, or something acoustically absorbent approaching 1/4 of the sounds wavelength to stop it.
Sound wavelength for a subwoofer (say 20Hz - 80Hz) would be between around 4m - 18m.
The rear shelf and boot liner are neither thick or heavy so 95% of the sound gets through.

It's not an ideal solution, but a reasonable compromise if boot space is precious, and you don't mind the can of goo instead of a full size spare.
gadget View Drop Down
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Drop in and Say Hello Moderator
Inspector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 5:24pm
All these changes of speakers and adding subwoofers and lord knows what....
Just stick your favourite Tune on and sing out loud... that's what I do, and you can't tell if the sound is crap or tinny over the sound of your own voice!!

Edited by gadget - 31 Mar 2014 at 5:24pm
2007 Acenta 1.5dci in Black with Panoramic Sunroof. Connect System. Boot & Door Sill Plates. Removable Towbar.
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 8:19pm
Lol gadget , I bet you have a voice like an angel
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Craigfishin Craigfishin wrote:

Lol gadget , I bet you have a voice like an angel

Yeah fallen angel
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
diskotekblackbox View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diskotekblackbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 5:59pm
i finally got to install a pioneer ts-WX110A subwoofer in my 2014 qq today, i originally wanted to install the Pioneer TS_WX610A spare wheel subwoofer

http://www.pioneer.eu/dk/products/25/131/201/TS-WX610A/page.html

but after measuring i found that it wouldn't fit the boot, it was way to high

but i had the TS-WX110A lying in the basement, from my previous KIA SPORTAGE, where it was mounted under the seat, and sounded very well in the sportage.

after i got it out, i found that it fits perfectly underneath the drivers seat in the qq, under the driverseat, the floor is lowered a bit, and the pioneer fits 100% in the lowered place (hope this makes sense)

since the nissanconnect doesn't have subwoofer output, i had to plug into the rear speakers signal, and feed the subwoofer with the speaker input, it has a built in low pass filter, so it should accept a full range signal.

but after having installed everything, i must admit, that it DIDNT improve the sound quality of the car, off course i have much more bass, but its very blurry and uncontrolled, it sound awfull, i really wish the nissanconnect had a decent equalizer instead of just base and treble adjustment.

in my kia sportage i installed a clarion dnx7200e, unit, which had 4x50watts output, with every imaginable sound settings, and i sounded way better with the stock speakers and this subwoofer.

i don't know if there is anything else i can try, without having to remove the nissanconnect system at all, but that isn't an option for me.

just my thought, for everyone wanting to install a powered subwoofer....

have a nice weekend

Carsten
Denmark
2014 1.6 diesel CVt tekna, with safety package INK blur
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diskotekblackbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 7:12pm
ok, just a quick update.

i tried to pull one of the inputs out, and that fixed the awful sound, the base got instantly much better, so i figured i had wired one of the wires wrong, so i made a quick adapter cable that reversed the + and - terminal on one of the inputs, and now everything is much better

when we tapped into the rear speakers, the left side had a white and red line, but the right side had a green and grey line.

so i quess the green and grey had to be reversed, and that was made the subwoofer confused, because when both RCA plugs were in, the signals where wrong

so i´m sorry for my first pessimistic post, it was due to a wrong polarity of the wires.

hope my english makes sense Tongue

i have attached 2 pictures of the final install, one when the seat if pulled all the way to the front, so you can see the actual sub, and one where the seat is the the position for me, when I'm driving, where you can't see the sub

sorry for the bad quality, but it is dark here in denmark now.

have a nice weekend

mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 7:51pm
You had me worried earlier. Was starting to think the head unit was completely useless.
How doe the the system sound now ?
Oh, and where did you pickup the power for it?

Edited by mavrik64 - 05 Apr 2014 at 7:53pm
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2014 at 9:20pm
Hey Discotekblackbox, i am also looking for an easy and least intrusive way to improve my sound so i am very interested in your upgrade, did the pioneer ts-WX110A subwoofer give a significant difference?
Where exactly did you tap into the wires for the rear speaker, from the 'A' pillar?
Also, where did you tap current to power your subwoofer from?

If i am to go along the same path,  i can not seem to find the exact model but i fond the Pioneer TS-WX11A , its just 5mm higher in height, what do you think?
http://www.easy-pix.eu/pioneer-tswx11a-aktiv-subwooferbox-p-997.html?from=kelkoo

Venlig hilsen. Smile

Edited by Kenobi - 05 Apr 2014 at 10:07pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diskotekblackbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 6:56am
Hi kenobi

You can get it here

http://www.pioneershop.dk/bilstereo/pioneer-ts-wx110a-aktiv-sub

We tapped into the rear speakers feed from the bottom of the a pillar, and took the power from the center console, where the 12volt socket sits

All in all i t took about 1.5 hour to install

I see your from copenhagen like me, you are welcome to come by and have alook and hear the difference

Carsten

Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 7:52am
Thanks Carsten, youve got mail
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diskotekblackbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2014 at 7:59am
Now you got mail
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 8:46pm
Kenobi,
If you get a chance to meet up, let me know what it sounds like please

diskotekblackbox,
So all you need for power is regular wiring? I had to use 10awg cable for the old sub. I realize this won't draw as much current.

Brett
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:12pm
We hooked up and I must confess that it does make a noticeable difference. I have ordered mine and its in the post now.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diskotekblackbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 9:49pm
Yep

The sub is powered from the 12 volt outlet in the center console

So no need to run new wires from the battery, its almost plug and play, and can be installed in about 1-2 hours
mavrik64 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mavrik64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 8:27am
Thanks for the great info and feed back, guess i'm gonna have to order a couple (one for me and one for the wife)
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 12:04am
I finally got some time to install my Pioneer subwoofer , thanks to the guidance from discotekblackbox , everything went well and my music now sounds alive again. Funny thing though is that I began getting accustomed to the flat sound in the new QQ over the last few weeks but 2 days ago , I drove our other car (a VW UP) which had premium sound equipment from the factory and hearing this made me even more determined to do the subwoofer installation this weekend.
stretchos View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stretchos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 6:42am
Nice one, im now tempted to have this done now............so much for saving money!
Previous car E92 M3, current car 2014 Qashqai 1.5dci Tekna gun metallic. Website http://www.loronblackphotography.co.uk
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diskotekblackbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 7:18am
Great news kenobi

Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 6:21pm
Thanks Carsten, you saved me a lot of time and effort , maybe even catastrophic mistakes by giving me the good tips.

For anyone else considering this option,

1. You can easily tap into the rear speaker sound feed wires by simply lifting up the front doors bottom sill panels, they click back on without a fuss.
2. the wires on the left of the car ar Red + and white - , on the right they are grey + and light green -
3. The above named speaker wires are located with a bunch of other wires but they are the only 2 wires twisted slightly around each other red/white, Grey/lightgreen.
4. You can tap into the 12V power supply  in the armrest compartment  and get access to the  wires suppling it, just pull out the vertical pannel facing the back seats at the back of the arm rest pillar, it comes off easy and clicks  back on.
5. The wires suppling the 12V socket are Blue + and black -
6 the pioneer subwoofer mentioned above fits discreetly into a depressed space under the left front seat , in this position it also gives extra tummy shake effect by sending vibrations up through the backside of anyone sitting there....this can be a pleasent surprise LOL

Edited by Kenobi - 14 Apr 2014 at 2:16pm
LightningMat View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LightningMat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 1:41pm
Thanks for posting the little "how to" there Kenobi, will surely help anyone looking to do this install.  Although the only part that isn't clear to me is the "simply lifting up the front doors botton panels" - Not quite sure where this is... Perhaps some pics might help?
Qashqai first-timer... 1.2 DiG-T Tekna in Storm White... on order!
Kenobi View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 2:15pm
Sorry, it can be quite tricky when typing on a tablet, i mean the frontdoor sill bottom panels.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic