UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Knowledge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Steering Lock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering Lock
    Posted: 23áJuná2010 at 10:10am
Hi all :)

I've had my 2007 2L Tekna for a couple of weeks now and am loving it. A rather huge improvement on a Renault Megane which I've been hauling around for the last 6 years.  I've got a couple of questions I hope someone can answer:

Often I have to turn the wheel a full 180 degrees to engage the steering lock. With the ignition off and thus the power steering too, even this 6'4" rugby lad stuggles and I'm also worried about damaging the tyres having to turn them so far while the car is stationery.  Am I missing a tirck here?

Also, is there a mute button for the stereo that I haven't found yet?

Thanks very much :)

Jon.
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23áJuná2010 at 10:26am
welcome to the club jonny

press the left hand main dial to mute m8, i know what you mean with the steering lock the knack is remember the position that the wheel locks at and make sure when you turn off the ignition your steering wheel is very close to that position, personally i never bother making sure its engaged so not a problem for me
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
Mr diesel View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23áJuná2010 at 11:00am
i dont think it really matters m8t where the steering wheel lock's ...if somebody jumped in it and try'd driving it off (assuming they can get around the egnition and imobiliser ) then the lock would come on when they drive off ....if this senario did happen i would be complaining to my dealers about the ease that my car's security was compromised

Glynn
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23áJuná2010 at 11:09am
yeh thats why i dont bother glynn ,let the thief put it on for you
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
jonnyw View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJuná2010 at 1:07am
Thanks for the responses - as suggested I just leave the lock off now - made life a lot easier!

J
PeterWestSussex View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterWestSussex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJuná2010 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Mr diesel Mr diesel wrote:

i dont think it really matters m8t where the steering wheel lock's ...if somebody jumped in it and tried driving off (assuming they can get around the egnition and imobiliser ) then the lock would come on when they drive off .... Glynn

The theory is, so I'm told, that by engaging the s/wheel lock you prevent any 'momentum' if someone tries to force the locked s/wheel.   But if you leave the s/wheel un-engaged, the s/wheel has some free play and there is the chance it can be 'wrentched' and actually break the lock - instead of the lock holding the s/wheel as it encounters the lock.  That's the theory; can't say if it's true as i don't want to try it!

Edited by PeterWestSussex - 27áJuná2010 at 7:25pm
1.6Tekna, Blade Silver+ESP+SatNav+ MetaSR2Targa parking sensors, .P/X'd Nov 2012 because we just didn't need or use the car to its full potential!
Qashin View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qashin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áJuná2010 at 7:46pm
By forcing the steering without the engine running and consequently the power steering you are applying unnecessary stress on components which is not advisable. The steering lock is designed to apply itself  if the steering is turned by a thief, so don't worry leaving the vehicle with it activated.

2010 Qashqai Tekna 2.0 CVT Cafe Latte.

Mr diesel View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28áJuná2010 at 11:37am
i'v worked on a few stolen recoverd cars in my time and the preferd method of getting the steering lock off in volved a short piece of scoffold tube rammed over the lock body and then it is snapped off ...its the transponder that stops them from taking them now ...unless they can get the keys

Glynn 
Ashqai View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashqai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áOctá2010 at 7:57am
Does anybody know how to disengage the steering lock on the tekna, I did it last night and forgot to change it this morning for my wife before I left for work.

Urgent response much appreciated.
Picked up 08 Black Tekna 1.5dci on Saturday 23/10/10
Ashqai View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashqai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27áOctá2010 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Ashqui Ashqui wrote:

Does anybody know how to disengage the steering lock on the tekna, I did it last night and forgot to change it this morning for my wife before I left for work.

Urgent response much appreciated.

Sorted itConfused
Picked up 08 Black Tekna 1.5dci on Saturday 23/10/10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic