UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > J11 Qashqai 2014 - > Nissan Qashqai J11 Engine Range > 1.2 L Turbo I4 (Petrol)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Stop/start with turbo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stop/start with turbo
    Posted: 20áMará2017 at 10:19pm
I've just got a J11, the 1.2 petrol turbo dig-T version.

I've always thought, and still hear it today, that you should let a turbo spin down and idle for a bit before turning off the engine. 

How does this work with the modern stop/start engines?   I just came off the motorway after an hour of 70mph driving to traffic lights and the stop/start immediately stopped the engine.  Will this damage the turbo or has technology moved on to prevent this these days?

QQ3: 2014 1.2 dig-T ntec+ gunmetal grey
QQ2: 2013 CVT 360 silver
QQ1: 2009 1.5dci n-tec fired iron
PR07HET View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
@qashqaiclub @frankiehipwell

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PR07HET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áMará2017 at 1:05pm
The stop/start only "put the engine to sleep" like a PC or Laptop. The spin down will still be happening.
Qashqai Premier Edition 0001/2007 - 370z Roadster - Bianchi C2C Full Carbon - Reebok Air otherwise
MikeR View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áMará2017 at 1:46pm
The idea of letting the engine idle before switching off was to let the turbo cool down. As it's cooling at idle the oil is still being pumped around the bearings. However, if the engine is switched off early & the turbo is still hot it will still spin but the oil on the bearings will burn off & it will be running on dry bearings because the turbo doesn't pump oil around but the engine oil pump & this will have been switched off.
Your question is very good & for this reason that I've put above I never use the stop/start. If there's been some new design I don't know but better safe than sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic