Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Diesel Heads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Strange Knocknig/Pulsing sound

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hundleton1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Knocknig/Pulsing sound
    Posted: 31áMará2012 at 9:13am
Hi guys,  bit of a story here but bear with me, 

one and off for the last few months now and again from inside the cabin when idling iv heard a strange pulsing knocking sound from the engine area, its going at about once a second , its not linked to rpm so when you rev it its still there in the background but at the same beet, then after i drive off it seems to go, it seems to happen at any time, you could have been driving for an hour then pull up and begin to hear it,  

yesterday it did it again so i got out and lifted the bonnet and nothing, you can not hear it at all from the engine bay, back in the car and yep its still there, i was really confused at this point, then i noticed i could hear a high pitched pulsing air/water sound, i located it to the fuel filter on the LH side of the bay, sure enough if i put my hand on it i can feel it pulsing in time with the knock from inside the car, I'm guessing the knock i can hear is this pulsing through the fuel lines under the car, 

Any ideas that this pulsing is? i would have thought its would have been a constant pressure in there, it seems to be one pipe going to it more than the others. 

its a 1.5 DCI 
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2012 at 9:18am
That happened with my 08 plate diesel Acenta... no-one ever seemed to know what it was, it was intermittent and the dealership couldnt find anything wrong either?..

Edited by Fee - 31áMará2012 at 9:19am
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
Tony C View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áMará2012 at 9:44am
Fuel pump?
2012 2.0 +2 N-Tec+ 4WD CVT in Nightshade
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2012 at 10:59am
Noticed it on mine occasionly since we've had it. Normally we  would  be waitibg at traffic lights or something like that when you noticed it. Its the sort of thing that would never be there when you took it to the dealer  so never bothered. As  you said its not rev related & sounds like some sort of pump sound to me. Its it only occasional & has never developed further so we just ignore it.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2012 at 1:06pm
Thats exactly what I did Ericos... It didnt cause a problem, dealership didnt appear concerned, so I left it...

fee x
2.0 Visia 2007, 1.5 Dci Acenta 2008' 1.6 Acenta 2009 and 1.5dci N-Tec 2011....bye bye Qashqai!! hiya Juke 1.5dci NTEC
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2012 at 5:37pm
Its always worth having the dealer make a formal record of any strange noises they consider normal, so that if it does go 'bang' just out of warranty you will a stronger case for them to fix it.
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
Fee View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Mary Whitehouse

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2012 at 6:14pm
^......good idea.. better safe than sorry....
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01áAprá2012 at 7:16pm
Well I might mention it when its in the Wednesday.  We've nearly had it 2 years now & apart from seeing what it looks like we've rarely had the blind back for the glass roof, remembered to try it this past week with the sunshine & there's a bloody annoying rattle from the runner area just above drivers head so it's in to get looked at this Wed.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
ian_clyde View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_clyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28áFebá2013 at 8:15pm
have any of you tried squeesing the manual fuel primer when you hear this noise??

its the plastic rugby ball shaped bit just beside the fuel filter....this is how i get the noise to stop....i think it a sort of 'water hammer' effect, whatever frequency the diesel is pumping at is resonating in the pipes, so the slight change in pressure when you prime the pump is enough to stop this.....i thin kthis is just bad design by nissan, if the fuel line was a little shorter or longer the resonance frequancy would change and hence the noise would stop....

well thats my opinion anyway...lol

2008 1.5 acenta..black..alphamirror..chrome fogs, handles, tailgate handle, grille,low profile wind deflectors, fitted sunshades, TTI 881 CB 68CT006 UK&EU
Flashybike1 View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flashybike1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16áMará2018 at 10:25pm
Mine fixes it when you squeeze the primer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic