UA-44735833-1
Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Reception > Your first question?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Strong Diesel Smell in Cabin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strong Diesel Smell in Cabin
    Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 1:29pm
Second post and my last for now.

I bought my 2010 Qashqai ntec+ about 2 months ago.
For the last week or so there has been a very strong smell of what I think is raw diesel in the cabin.
It is by far the strongest when the engine is running but the car is stationary. The smell appears to be coming through the vents and is equally strong with and without the air conditioning on.
I find myself having to turn the fan off and open the windows at traffic lights.
I've had a look around the engine (while warm, but turned off) with the cover off and can't see anything overly suspicious in terms of an oil leak or similar and the smell isn't too bad under the bonnet (nothing I would consider above and beyond a normal warm engine smell).
Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? Or tips on how to further self-diagnose so that I don't get my eyes ripped out by a garage when I don't know the cause myself?

Thank you
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 1:45pm
Fuel can leak from the diesel leak off pipes. When the engines are built the leak off pipes are held into place at the injectors by a special "R" clip, on the end of each pipe is seal.

Might be worth checking them out
Tiff
2017 X-Trail N Vision 1.6 DIG-T Storm White.
Udo2009 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Udo2009 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 3:19pm
Are the foam pieces to the left and right of the engine compartment in place?

Qashqai Acenta, 2,0 dCi, 110 kW, DPF, Euro5, black Z11G
Dr B View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 4:26pm
Hi Udo, I've just checked and yes those foam pieces are in place. They look practically brand new. Thank you for including the photographs to make it very clear what I was looking for.

Hi Tiff, I'll have to Google what you mean by "diesel leak off pipes" as I'm not familiar with the term. I'm used to petrol engines so I'm a little behind the curve with diesel. I am about to drive home (20 mile trip) so I think I'll keep the engine running when I get back and look for any signs of leaking fluids.
Dr B View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 5:50pm
Firstly, thanks a lot for your replies so far. I really appreciate people taking the time to help me out (a total stranger). It's incredibly kind.

The problem seems to be a significant leak of some kind, but I cannot work out where from.
I have taken some photographs and I am hoping you can help me identify where the leak is coming from.

The whole underside of the engine is "damp" and there is even a tide mark on the side of the engine block. 
I can see liquid dripping from the underside of the car too, I managed to photograph a drop mid-drip.

There is what appears to be condensation on the brake fluid pipework too.

Is it possible to work out what is going on from these pictures?

Any advice at all is much appreciated. I won't be driving it until I get it sorted.

Sorry the images are massive, not too clever with the way this forum takes uploads.
http://i.imgur.com/MS8Yofo.jpg

Cheers,
Simon http://i.imgur.com/Jr1rGz4.jpg http://i.imgur.com/9buEzfU.jpg

Dr B View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 5:51pm
http://i.imgur.com/Jr1rGz4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9buEzfU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MS8Yofo.jpg

Edited by Tiffany - 31áAugá2017 at 6:13pm
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 6:04pm
Are you sure that's not engine oil ?
Dr B View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 6:10pm
On the underside of the engine? Not sure at all.
But I am pretty sure that's not what is dripping from the underside of the car, it's not viscous enough.
Tiffany View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 6:16pm
Check around the injectors

Look at the fuel pipes....(feed and return

Also see the black rubber bulb...( that's the hand primer for your fuel pump) make sure there's no diesel anywhere there.
Dr B View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31áAugá2017 at 6:29pm
Thanks Tiffany,

I'll let it cool down and have a good look around it tomorrow. See if there's any signs of where it could be coming from.
Hound View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áSepá2017 at 3:22am
Did you buy your QQ from a dealer? If so there any dealer warranty on it (three months for example)?

One of your pics shows condensation on the aircon pipes (not brake) - that could certainly be what's dripping down.

Check all the quick-connect joints around the fuel filter and priming bulb.

https://imgur.com/a/VtWx0
Bensan View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áMayá2018 at 6:41am
Was this ever resolved? I also have some smells that enter the cabin when car is not moving. The smell is stronger in the right-hand side of the car, maybe coming under the car. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic