Nissan Qashqai Owners Club UK Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Qashqai Knowledge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suspension noises

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo2410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension noises
    Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 12:35pm
Hi all, Just clocked up 40000 miles on my 2010 n-tec. Just lately I've had some noises coming from the front end. One is a creak when I drive over a speed hump slowly and there is a distinct "up" then "down" travel of the suspension. Then I have a clunk when I accelerate or if I'm turning and go over a bump .. two completely different sounds from different parts of the front end ... anybody else had this and was it identified and what did it cost to repair? I've got the car booked in for Monday Cry
Iporter View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 6:54pm
Had similar, initially put it down to front suspension drop links which I replaced, then wishbone bushes, they made it slightly better, but still had that distinct clunk up and clunk down. Eventually it turned out to be the rear bushes on the front subframe, fairly cheap parts. But it wasn't an easy diagnosis as when most garages just looked at the wishbones, drop links, shocks and steering forgetting that it all bolts to the sub frame, it was my local little garage that pointed it out.

BUT

Nissans response was that they don't go but if they do they replace the subframe and parts only for that job were around 900, plus around 6 hours labour. The reason is that the bushes are very difficult to remove and just as hard to press back in. Plus putting it all back together.
After some serious head scratching, I did the job myself removing the old bushes and replacing with genuine new
ones, not easy but using some innovative ideas job was done in 2 days on my drive. Cost around 40. And made the front suspension as good as the day it was made.

Not saying it is but it could be

Edited by Iporter - 13 Jun 2015 at 6:55pm
timbo2410 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo2410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 7:19pm
OMG and I spent nearly a grand last service for tyres, balljoints and service itself :-(
Iporter View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 7:29pm
Like I said it may not be but you've already had ball joints done, but it's very much worth getting it looked at by a couple of garages, it was only my local one- not nissan who identified it. Problem is when they normally lift the car it's by the front subframe which hides the problem as the bushes stay together. Became apparent when jacked on sill jacking points on both sides as sub frame dropped at back
Hoping yours is something easier or simple but if it turns out to be that and your handy I took lots of pictures when i did it etc and downloaded the nissan workshop manual to be doubly sure of what I was doing.

timbo2410 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo2410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 7:37pm
no way I can do anything like that ... time, tools and place to do it :-( .. will have to wait and see what they say on Monday ... fingers crossed ..
chrisw99 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisw99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 9:36am
This happened to me over speed bumps when I got the car 3 years old, was fixed by replacing the front roll bar bushes.

It started again 2 years later back in March this year, this time I just sprayed a load of WD40 over each of the bushes and it has gone away.

The rubber used in the bushes dries out a bit causing the noises so I'm hoping a squirt of WD40 every now and again will keep it at bay.
timbo2410 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo2410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 11:01am
Just dropped car off ... raised eyebrows from mechanic ... could be an easy fix or it could be a grand ??? that's without the service !!!!! I'm waiting for their news .. the MOT is first so shouldn't be too far away Cry
timbo2410 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo2410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:35pm
Just learned that it is the ball joint and lower arm needs to be replaced ... same side as before .. the lower arm has apparently stretched ?? so whole lot is being replaced ...
265 for the part ... service and mot on top of that :-(
Iporter View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 12:40pm
i would ask them for the old arm back when they fit the new one if I were you after all it is yours, they are made of serious stuff.........stretched I don't buy it.
timbo2410 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo2410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 2:07pm
oh indeed i will, I shall be interested to see exactly what has happened. I asked if it should be brought to the attention of Nissan but they skirted the issue.
Dan90 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2015 at 7:14am
I've had a similar problem before turned out to be my anti roll bars and sub frame bushes, I can't remember how much the sun frame bushes were (wasn't expensive tho), anti roll bars were about 25 for the pair. Both easy enough jobs
Moist von Lipwig View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moist von Lipwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 1:25pm
Just had the nearside ball joint replaced as it was creaking, Nissan identified it at the service and quoted 328 + vat to replace the arm.

Took it to my local independent and they've replaced the joint only for 70 + vat.

They also Quoted me 140+ vat for the arm if they couldn't get the joint removed and replaced easily enough. I was expecting that after reading the problems that have been had with it on here, but they said it was easy enough to do!
59 1.5dci Acenta, Cafe Latte
JezzerQQ View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JezzerQQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 4:01pm
Hi lporter

Seems like I have a similar problem... replaced the same parts and have the same issues.

I had the same response from the two garages I took it too.... changes the Wishbones and ARB Links, and as you said much better but that 'clunking' is still there?

Drove a 2010 1.5dci with 90k on the Clock and it was perfect, mine has only 65k?
Had almost the same thing on my old Land Rover Freelander, after replacing most of the front suspension!

Thank, will post any updates!
Everything in life is somewhere else, and you get there in a car.
E. B. White
timbo2410 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo2410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 8:59pm
I had the "ball" from the ball joint replaced last year. This year it was the hole that the new "ball" was mounted in that had stretched ... so I had to replace the ball and the arm itself ... I dont drive hard .. I dont drive through potholes .. it's had an easy life with no reason to fail so early ... I loooked at the part myself and it was correct in what they were saying. But !!! because the part was outside it's 12 month warranty, I could not claim that it had failed .. !!!!!
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 1:29am
I wouldnt have thought just replacing the ball was a good idea as the socket would have also had wear & so led to further wear to both. In my experience I've always done them together, in fact kits have always been a complete joint when I;ve used them.
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic