Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Bright Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Swapping for LED on ALL remaining lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swapping for LED on ALL remaining lights
    Posted: 05†May†2015 at 1:51pm
Just wondering if anyone has gone to the extent of swapping out other lights like indicators, reverse lights and so on for LED items.

I've done every interior light, side lights and number plate lights, but would really like to get everything upgraded.

Any links people can post to bulbs used would be handy.

Thanks
Ant
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
JayPower View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayPower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†May†2015 at 7:55am
I will be fitting some crees in my reverse lights and fogs at the end of the month. Have fitted them to every car I have had and there brilliant. I will be posting pics but probably wont be until the end of the month as they are £25 for 2 bulbs. 
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†May†2015 at 9:26am
Yes I did, also photo documented somewhere here on the forum. I did it in the summer last year.
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†May†2015 at 10:42pm
I'll have to have a dig through your posts duncho, thanks both of you.
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†May†2015 at 10:47pm
If I get 5 mins tomorrow I will take pics of my led reverse and indicators for you mate
darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†May†2015 at 10:48pm
I've still got hid fogs to go in but still recovering from operation so won't be doing that quickly
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†May†2015 at 10:57pm
Cool thank darylaas, would aappreciate that! I'd like to get HID fogs too at some point. 
darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†May†2015 at 11:04pm
The qashqai is h8 In fog lights I'm sure but will have to check for you.. I had hid fogs in my Audi and my merc and to be honest I would never go back.. Especially when the had auto lights on unlocking
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†May†2015 at 11:07pm
Not see much in terms of 'see me home' lights on the QQ. Someone posted a DRL Module which looks like it is an option on though but need to look closer at this too. 
darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 8:20am

[/URL]

darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 8:20am
Excuse the rubbish camera quality lol
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 8:29am
Originally posted by cantfindausername cantfindausername wrote:

I'll have to have a dig through your posts duncho, thanks both of you.

Here you go :)

Turn light bulbs finally replaced by LED. Load resistance has been recalculated considering LED input and connected trailer load (to ensure correct indication on the dashboard. Few photos:

1. original bulbs

2. Load resistor glued with heat sink glue

3. Load resistor connected

4. Rear lamps - job done

5. Front turn lights resistors sprayed (to be less visible for dealerships)

6. Glued on invisible inside pillar 

7. Connected with removable jumpers

8. Tested, job done!

Edited by duncho - 07†May†2015 at 8:31am
twocues View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twocues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 9:22am
Nice job indeed..

I have done the side lights and it looks good.... What do you think makes the best impact for the next LED upgrade? Interiors? I have done the interiors on my other car using a 24 led board that came with various connectors so it will fit any type of bulb carrier..... Lights the car up like a football pitch!! I was looking at LED fogs next....mmm decisions. I don't think I'll bother with indicators.....I can see the sense in the brake lights though.
2012 1.6 DCI Tekna +2 Mineral Grey.
Styling plate, Aces folding mirror kit, 2015 gear knob, mud flaps, Bee sting antenna, LED sidelights, club sticker :) more mods to come...
darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 9:29am
The qashqai is just 501 sidelight bulbs on the interior so just pure white led bulbs but not too big as there is a maximum size between connector and the plastic cover
darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 9:31am
darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 9:32am
That's my led interior
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 9:34am
I installed these high power bulbs for turn lights, they also have RED color for brake/tail lights. The consumption is about 436mA at 12V (when cold) so the balance resistors used are of 8R2/50W resistance.

For the interior lights are used these bulbs, however they are extremely bright.  At the end, it is not an issue as you can adjust their power ;).

Edited by duncho - 07†May†2015 at 1:58pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 9:40am
I've done the full interior, number plate and side lights - although I need to replace the sidelight ones as they're too blue for the stock HIDs. I definitely want to do the full works in LED. What are the ratings on the load resistors? I'll have a proper read of that thread when I get some time. 
darylaas View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darylaas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 10:55am
50w load resistors will do the job.. Make sure you are careful where you mount them and not on plastic as they do get extremely warm
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07†May†2015 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by darylaas darylaas wrote:

50w load resistors will do the job.. Make sure you are careful where you mount them and not on plastic as they do get extremely warm

It's more about the resistance than power. He could even use 20W resistors if these (as you said) are properly cooled. If resistance is lower than 6R per bulb, dashboard will indicate trailer connected to the car, if higher than 10R, LEDs will flash fast to indicate that one of the bulbs is broken. 

Edited by duncho - 07†May†2015 at 12:35pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19†Mar†2016 at 10:44pm
Bit of a resurrection... I've ordered some 50w 6ohm load resistors to go with some LED bulbs, hopefully they'll arrive soon and I can get to fitting them. Question I now need to answer is where to mount the resistors due to the heat they put out. Front isn't too much of an issue, but the rear could be. I like the idea that did duncho, have you had any problems with the heat on the light housing?

Ant
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Mar†2016 at 12:32am
No issues, I have already forgot that I did any swap. Dealer tested it for me when he left it to ran for more than an hour during Nissan Connect firmware update.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Mar†2016 at 9:59pm
Nice one! Good to know. I'll be popping the lights off mine shortly to do the same sort of swap. Need to figure out how to sort out the fronts as the bulb carrier has the connections on the inside of the housing. One to think about. 
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Mar†2016 at 10:07pm
Indicator bulb is powered by 2 freely accessible wires, outside of the lamp housing.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Mar†2016 at 10:11pm
Are there differences between the J10/J11? I took the front indicator out this morning and its just a carrier. There will obviously be a feed to the light housing, but I have yet to locate that - can't say I looked too much today as I was trying to get the bumper off rather than play with the lights. 
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Mar†2016 at 10:15pm
I can't remember J10 exactly, but I think it is the same. J11 has a plastic holder which you need to turn and pull out. Why did it take so long to decide for LED swap?
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Mar†2016 at 10:19pm
The plastic carrier comes out easily, but there are no wires attached. I'll locate them when I get the bits in. Bulbs and resistors are en-route. I decided pretty much before I bought the car that I'd be doing LED's, but never got round to doing the work due to other commitments. I'm giving the car some much deserved mods which I've had on the to-do list for far to long :)
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Mar†2016 at 10:29pm
There are 100% leading wires to a bulb socket when you pull out that plastic holder on J11. I did it on mine, just check photos on my previous post. It took you almost 1 year to does this mod :) 

My next project is to replace fogs with these Philips LEDs:

Edited by duncho - 20†Mar†2016 at 10:29pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20†Mar†2016 at 10:36pm
Clearly some differences between the 2 then. I've actually done very little to the car over the summer and majority of the winter. Its only because I've got a road trip lined up that I thought I'd get cracking on the list. 

Those bulbs are pretty impressive! Keep us posted!
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30†Mar†2016 at 7:50am
Has anyone updated the indicators to LED on a J10 using canbus LED bulbs?

I'm assuming that using canbus LED's will remove the need to add the resistors.

As the J10 has side repeater indicators, going the resistor route will require 6 resistors and a lot of messing around trying to fix them in aconvenient place, whereas just changing the bulbs should be quick and easy.
2012 1.6dci Tekna in Mineral Grey
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30†Mar†2016 at 7:59am
I've just added the side repeaters the other week and they don't need resistors. Also, from what I understand, there is no can-bus for the indicators, just the hyper-flash on the relay. I could well be wrong there though so would be interested if someone could confirm. FYI - I've got the 4 load resistors and bulbs ready to go... just need to find suitable wiring to patch into at the front and a mounting location. Let me know how you get on. 
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30†Mar†2016 at 8:10am
I realise that there is no canbus on the Qashqai, but as the canbus LED's have a built in resistor to fool the light monitor systems, on other vehicles, I was hoping I could use the canbus LED indicators to avoid messing around with additional resistors.

What LED's did you use in the side repeaters?
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04†Apr†2016 at 11:10am
Sorry I've only just seen this reply. I used these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261879442223?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=560721206356&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you get the canbus ones and find you don't need a resistor do let us know as its locating a suitable place for the resistors which is delaying this piece of work for me at the moment.
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Apr†2016 at 10:52am
cantfindausername

Cree canbus indicator LEDs on order from ABD, so I should get them in the next few days. I'll keep you updated on how it turns out.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06†Apr†2016 at 11:42am
Good man, thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic