Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Bright Ideas
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Swapping for LED on ALL remaining lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áAprá2016 at 8:23am
Phillips LED fogs installed this weekend. There is no single incandescent bulb in my car anymore.
Project completed!

Fogs + Low beam

Fogs only 

Low beam only

Lamp detail

Color match

Edited by duncho - 12áAprá2016 at 12:09am
cantfindausername View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07áAprá2016 at 8:25am
Nice one duncho!
1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2016 at 5:12pm
As per a previous discussion on the J10 bulb holder. I just whipped it out to try an LED bulb in there. Not going to be easy to plug in a load resistor as I don't know where the wiring goes at the moment. As can be seen, it is just a holder that connects inside the light housing so no external wire to tap into. 

1.6dCi +2 Tekna IS 4WD | Styling Plate | Rear Wing | 360 Cameras | Mud Flaps | Stubby Aerial | Alyans XT2 Side Steps | Westfalia Towbar | LED Interior | Dual Boot Light | DRLs | Full Closure
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2016 at 6:01pm
I can send you wiring diagram so you know which wires on headlamp to connect to. Also, you can easily identify yourself by voltmeter tapping to the wires.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2016 at 7:31pm
if you could that would be really handy. I've not looked for a wiring cluster yet, need to poke my head under the bonnet again in a bit
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09áAprá2016 at 7:47pm
Just been under the hood with the multi meter - damn I'm impatient lol

Its the green wire on this connector block which has the 12v supply to the indicator. There are 2 earths by the looks of it, so would I be ok to tap the load resistor into either one of these do you think?

duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áAprá2016 at 7:58am
I know that feeling ;)
Yes, you can plug it to any of them, no matter to which one, both are grounded. Make a video blinking before and after. I was so excited with LED upgrade that I forgot to make a video with incandescent bulb.

Edited by duncho - 10áAprá2016 at 8:17am
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áAprá2016 at 10:59am
Went outside this morning to tackle the rear lights as they were the easiest and I was short on time. 

Test fitted the resistors for placement before securing anything in place. 

Then secured them in place with some 3M strips I had from a while ago.

Video comparison:
https://youtu.be/Ohu_HqgW78Q

duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áAprá2016 at 2:14pm
What LEDs have you installed? Seems little bit weaker than the bulb. Mine shines like a hell.

Edited by duncho - 10áAprá2016 at 2:29pm
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10áAprá2016 at 6:32pm
I've used to 27 SMD LED bulbs, which serve fine as a proof of concept - I may swap these out for something a little brighter in the near future though. They're fine in normal light conditions. The sun was on that side of the car this morning where as the old bulbs were effectively shaded so could account for some of the difference. Certainly when I've looked at them since they fine and no one has beeped me when switching lanes/turning etc when I've been out. 
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áAprá2016 at 3:00pm
cantfindausername

My plan to use canbus LED for the indicators was a failure, the indicators still require the resistor!!

So next plan is to send back the bulbs I have and get some non canbus ones.

In the meantime, can you tell me which wires you used for adding your front indicator resistors. Was the indicator power on the green wire for both sides, and which wire did you use for the earth?

Also, where was the connector for the front indicators?

Edited by humming - 11áAprá2016 at 3:18pm
2012 1.6dci Tekna in Mineral Grey
duncho View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duncho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áAprá2016 at 3:50pm
Using LEDs with integrated resistor so called "CANBUS error free" is not a good idea to use for indicators. Turn lights are very important lights that prevents you causing an incident. CANBUS error free LEDs produce significant amount of heat and for indicators they would need to dissipate around 20W!!! Taking into consideration that high lumonisity power LEDs consume only about 3-5W and produce already pretty much heat, you would need to dissipate additional 16W in heat! That means that they would get baking hot bulb within 2-3 min of blinking. They would survive easily if you indicate with few three blinks a time, but die quickly if you turn them ON in case of danger (with HAZARDS ON). 

CANBUS error free LEDs can be made for low wattage bulbs like T10 (W5W) or similar. Though, they get very hot either, but those are not "life savers" and if they start flickering or blow due to extra heat, no big deal. But failing hazards in a dangerous situation... hard to imagine...
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11áAprá2016 at 5:13pm
I've not installed the front ones yet. Need to figure out if I've got enough working room behind the passenger side light as its crammed like silly down there (which is why my dipped and full beam bulbs havn't been changed yet).

I will double check the wiring on the passenger side, but I can't think of a valid reason why Nissan would change the location of a power cable on the other side of the car. So, yes, middle cable on the front light connector block for +ve and the outer (black cable) for -ve. At the rear its the 2 outer cables on the rear light connector block (polarity not important).

Keep us posted on your progress, and let us know what bulbs you go for in the end.

Thanks
Ant
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12áAprá2016 at 8:26am
I had a quick look at the front lights last night, and as you say it's a bit tight in there.

I think I'm going to see how you get on before I get in to it, so please keep me posted on the front indicator install (with photos if you can).
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12áAprá2016 at 8:59am
No problem. Its likely to be the weekend before I get out there again, but I'll be sure to take some reference pics of what I do.
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áAprá2016 at 8:05am
Did you manage to get the front indicators sorted over the weekend?
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18áAprá2016 at 9:49am
No I didn't get a chance to work on the car unfortunately :(
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áAprá2016 at 11:24am
Welll I think I'm done with the light upgrades on the car. I can't for the life of me get the passenger side light connector off, and I don't really think I can be arsed to remove the bumper to change a bulb so I'm just going to live with stock front lights.

I've never known such an impossible car to work on! Its f'ing rediculous!!
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áAprá2016 at 11:33am
Did you the front indicator upgrade?

If so, how did the resistor installation get implemented?

I think the most ridiculous lights to changed are the reversing lights. I did mine this week and had a bit of a problem getting the tailgate trim pulled off enough to get to the bulbs, but done now and only broke one clip (fortunately I had some spares).

There is a thread here somewhere that recommends using a 16mm socket to fit over the side light holders to enable them to be pulled out. I used this method and it worked well.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áAprá2016 at 11:39am
Reverse lights I found a doddle - once I'd figured that the light unit wasn't going to come out and needed to go behind the trim. It was a squeeze but not too bad. I've not done the front indicators as I can't get the passenger side light connector off the housing. There is a clip that you need to push down, but you can't get anything in there to press on it. I've already dropped a screwdriver through there in an attempt to get some leverage. There is just too much stuff in the way to do anything on that passenger side light cluster.
Side lights were done ages ago - again fiddly, but do able with care.
I'm sure I'll be back out there at some point turning the air blue in an attempt to get this connector off.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áAprá2016 at 11:52am
Well... it seems that venting a little and eating an apple gave me the break I needed...

Using a different approach, I managed to get level with the connector and put a longer screwdriver into the clasp and off it came. You can see the screwdriver handle on the left, and the grey 5 wire connector cllllll the way over on the right.

Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20áAprá2016 at 3:53pm
After I tapped in the wire on the passenger side I found that the bulbs I have won't work in the bulb carriers. Not sure why, but there was nothing. Bulbs are known to be good too. 

Humming, which bulbs do you have, and have you tried them yet?
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21áAprá2016 at 10:32pm
I bought some Twenty20 led bulbs today. Hoping they're here for the weekend. I left the spliced in wires on the passenger side as that will enable easier fitting and location of the load resistor. Once the wires are taped up or covered in heat shrink it will look stock and tidy. Just hope these bulbs work up front. Also going to replace the rears as I think the ones I have are too weak when there is sun on the car.

More updates to follow...
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26áAprá2016 at 3:50pm
Swapped out to the new bulbs this morning before work. Loads of difference! I have yet to try them up front, but the rears I'm a lot happier with now.
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cantfindausername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28áAprá2016 at 7:44pm
Well what a result!! I was thinking about the wiring today and putting the resistors in up front and then thought, "well the rears already have a resistor, I wonder if one per circuit is enough?". So I popped one of the new bulbs in up front where I'd already extended the wiring and low and behold... No need for another resistor!! So all I need to do now is remove the wiring extension and it's all done. Full LED indicators - Done!!
humming View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote humming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02áMayá2016 at 4:08pm
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but I've been on holiday. I bought the Twenty20 bulbs as well, from ABD (using the clubs 10% discount of course).

Excellent news on the indicators bulbs/resistors, using one resistor per side makes things a lot easier. I wasn't looking forward to messing around with the front indicators due to the lack of space and limited access to the wiring there.

I will now go ahead and do my indicators soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic