Forum Home Forum Home > Qashqai Care and Technical Information > Useful Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nissan Qashqai Club

Things to take with you, for emergencies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSX600FMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things to take with you, for emergencies
    Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 4:24pm
Things I think you should have with you.
A small pack of the mini blade fuses. Actually store them in the fuse box under bonnet.
Small torch. For example you will only know the light fuse has gone at night.
Disposable flash camera (£3). To use at accidents, incidents or at parties.
A bottle of water. you can use to drink, put out fire (not liquid fire) or top up rad or washer bottle.
A first aid kit. Really valuable to keep topped up with paracetamol.
Duct tape and long cable ties. It could hold your bumper or exhaust up temporarily after a collision to get you going.
Your PIN number for the Radio in your phone or wallet.
Disposable gloves. I've dragged off the road many dead or dying animals (badger, deer, fox etc.) They could have fleas and diseases.
At least 2 bungies. You never know when you have to drive home with the boot open.
I haven't included all the other items you need to take with you when you travel abroad to mainland Europe or in very bad snowy type weather as these go without saying.

Maybe add your suggestions and an example of the reason. May be some funny items like 'spare' pair of underpants.... you never know, a near miss with a large deer or cow may require replacement of the current pair.Embarrassed
A pack of baby wipes or in the case of the above, 'bum' wipes.  LOL

Edited by GSX600FMAN - 16 Sep 2010 at 4:25pm
Ordered QQ+2 Tekna 1.5 black on 20/4/10 expected 10/7/10. Collected on 19/7/10
QQpbls View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QQpbls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 7:44pm
Add: a hi viz waistcoat , warning triangle and a spare bulb kit
RealWombat View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealWombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2010 at 9:53pm
A good one to keep is one of those seat-belt cutter tools, "just in case".  Mine's also got a pointy hammer for breaking the glass, sometimes get a bit paranoid when driving on my own!

Pencil and paper (pens always dry up)

And you might think this is daft but I also keep a £20 note stashed somewhere hidden, just in case I get low on fuel (either for the QQ or for me) and forget to take my wallet!!  (it's an age thing, the memory's going LOL)

RW

QQ+2 1.5dCi n-tec Nightshade... born 19 July 2010
GSX600FMAN View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSX600FMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2010 at 6:32pm
I suggest to be kept close by or at hand (easy reach from your seat while belted in). Tape (duct tape) it to your door storage, centre door pillar or side of centre console. Imagine the scenario where you have crashed alone in the dark and rolled over and landed upside down in a ditch, gully or canal,  arghhhhh!.

Edited by GSX600FMAN - 17 Sep 2010 at 6:33pm
SH4NE View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SH4NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 7:24am
I always carry a first aid kit, Fire Extinguisher, Spare Bulbs, A Torch, reflective vests, Blanket.

Now my emergency kit is way different.

Iphone, Cigs and credit card, What more does a man need :)
ericos View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Night Crawler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:30pm
condoms
2nd QQ ..June 2013 Black +2 360.. After moustaches in Movember, all those beards in Decembeard, I'm not looking forward to Fanuary
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 11:15pm
hmmm could come in handy.....if you break your bottle of water....just fill it up.....nice one ericos.....LOL
patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 12:07am
swiss army knife in case of meet wiv hotentotts or scotsmen or welshmen boyo .i carry a rake ,dont ask and ketchup brown sauce salt n peppa picnic  apparell .one walkie talkie ,map of europe  .flask ky jelly, anchor enid blyton novel no hawkers sign this is a fact my ladys casket blow up sheep and a signed copy of liberaches derert island discs
patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 12:08am
oh an a puncture outfit -----for dolly the sheep
oh and a twenty pound note detector in case i crash into real wombat

Edited by patch - 27 Sep 2010 at 12:11am
survivalist View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote survivalist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 3:39pm
I have taught Survival Skills for many years now, and I always carry a full Survival Kit in the boot of my car.  Many useful items I would not want to have to do without in any situation.  One is my trusty Swiss Army Knife, which will solve many problems easily, and despite what the Police will tell you, is perfectly legal to carry.  Another is a Space Recue Blanket, it is light, small, waterproof, and is the perfect thing to wrap any victim of a Car Accident in to prevent Shock.  If you have to camp out in the Car overnight, it will also prevent Hypothermia.  A good Fire Extinguisher, an Emergency Tyre Repair Canister and a Tyre Pump.  These are just a few of the items I carry, but I take what I carry seriously!
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 3:46pm
welcome survivalist

thanks for the info its much appreciated
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
allan40alt View Drop Down
Premier
Premier
Resident Comedian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allan40alt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 4:02pm
As well as a first aid kit and extra waterproof jacket, I carry an emergency folding shovel similar to these:

I actually got mine many years ago from an 'Army Surplus' store.  It had previously been strapped to the side of a tank in the 1940's!  Big smile
2009 2.0L CVT, Tekna, Blade Silver.
2013 Peugeot 2008 1.6 EGC, Allure, Bianca White.
Craigfishin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Prestige Detailing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craigfishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 4:16pm
good for digging yourself out of trouble when bogged down Thumbs Up
2010 1.5dci Tekna in Nightshade,2013 1.5dci Tekna arctic white with stone leather interior, 2016 1.2 auto in nightshade ,detailer at prestige car detailing
HarryN-TEC View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryN-TEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 10:25pm
Hi & welcome Survivalist    Thumbs Up
garyjohnwalker View Drop Down
Forecourt
Forecourt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyjohnwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 1:00pm
Welcome Survivalist,

It's always nice to know that when Kim Jong-un pushes the button that there are people like you (and the ants) around to repopulate the planet!
burky View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 10:28am
don,t forget the kitchen sink too
Jacka View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 11:00am
My father in law passed to me what his passed to him.
He said always carry a pen knife, a piece of string and a shilling.  So I always carry I leatherman, a shoe lace and a tenna.

The leather and £10 has a come in handy but I haven;t had to use the lace yetThumbs Up
2013 1.5 360 in white
patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 11:06am
oh !!no answer to that that i can think of ,but nice to say hello jacka like your avaatar lol
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSX600FMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 7:00pm
I used the lace to secure the girlfriends wrist to the windscreen wipers on my Austin Allegro. LOL Thumbs Up
You could stand on real bumpers in them days. Wink
The lace has long since rotted and nylon cable ties are the thing. But alas the opportunity is no long there, the Q bonnet too thin. Angry

Edited by GSX600FMAN - 15 Oct 2010 at 7:12pm
patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 9:36pm
i had an allegro in yellow its was held together by a lace .god it was a disaster of a car ;used more oil than petrol .when i bought it the garage owner did a breakdance .could tell u a tale involving a scented bootlace ..Confused
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSX600FMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 9:43pm
Mine was brown and called 'the flying sh*te'. 
So...anyway... now another item to carry in the car is a pair of autosocks for snowy and icy weather.

Edited by GSX600FMAN - 15 Oct 2010 at 9:45pm
patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 9:52pm
i have a picnic basket with tomato and brown sauce plus salt n pepper dead sophisticated me ;ohand a thing for getting stones outa horses hooves ;Cool
patch View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 9:55pm
my daughter bought some wellies for the dog .walked like john cleese in ministry of funny walks .but tried bless her cotton socks .
RickinRomania View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickinRomania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 1:01pm
Living in Romania, we have some extreme weather and terrain. When visiting relatives we have to traverse mountains, in fact here you can't really go on a long distance journey without encountering some aspect of the Carpathian mountains.

We're obliged by Law change to winter tyres November until March, and to carry the following items at all times:
Full set of wheel change equipment,
Hi-vi, red warning triangle,
Fire extinguisher,
Spare fuses & light bulbs

Below I have a list of things I carry: from experience and from advice depending on the route & weather conditions:

EVERYDAY
Set of waterproofs
First Aid Kit (upgraded/improved from the standard shop bought ones)
Good quality torch & seatbelt cutter, securely mounted or taped somewhere accessable
Box of disposable gloves
Couple of carrier bags
Couple of large bin liners
2 kitchen rolls
Bottle of water
Cigarette lighter
Couple of silver space blankets
Red strobe light & Chemical light sticks
Spare USB cables
Duct tape
Cable ties
Multi tool/penknife
Jump leads

LONG JOURNEYS (Summers here can get as high as 45 degrees)
Empty water bottle
Biscuits/snacks
5000mah back up battery storage
Fully charged tablets and phones

WINTER (it can get as cold as -40 degrees in the mountains, wheel chains are sometimes manditory)
Couple of blankets
Wellies & spare socks
Sleeping bags, one per passenger
Vacuum packed old change of clothes for each passenger
Chemical hand warmers
Night lite candles for light heating & cooking
Folding shovel
Knife, fork, spoon (KFS)
Easy-open tinned food, chocolate bars etc)
2 plastic plates
Small folding binoculars
Flares
DJI Spark drone with spare batteries* (obviously not everyone will own one of these out there!)
You're not supposed to use drones at night but in a life/death situation, the navigation lights could help people locate you quicker although flight/batteries only last for about 10-12 minutes each. In this scenario I'd consider mine expensive but disposable.

Edited by RickinRomania - 15 Oct 2017 at 1:03pm
Happy owner of a 2015 J11 Silver Acenta 1.6DCI 4x4 since November 2015
Doug999 View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:32pm
"Accessible seat belt cutters"???  Is driving in Romania that dangerous? Shocked
2012 Tekna 1.6L, Arctic White, Stone Leather
RickinRomania View Drop Down
Tekna
Tekna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickinRomania Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 5:50pm
The example in this case, is so that you know where it is in the dark or if you roll the car, or in water etc to get you and loved ones out ASAP.. 

As to the quality of driving, most drivers are ok, but there are some that find it acceptable to travel at excess speed, overtake and undertake recklessly, especially where warning signs and road markings indicate No Overtaking, and while doing so expecting oncoming traffic to get out of their way.

I've seen them overtake on blind bends, all while on a mobile phone and smoking. In town there are many less serious prangs due to one or both drivers not understanding the Priority rule or the junction not sufficiently marked.

I only drive when I have to, reducing the odds of being a victim of these idiots. Being a pedestian is no safer here either, mostly due to speeding. Romania: No1 in road daths in EU - just do a YouTube search for Romanian car accidents, they show them on the news every night but they don't seem to learn.

Edited by RickinRomania - 15 Oct 2017 at 5:53pm
Happy owner of a 2015 J11 Silver Acenta 1.6DCI 4x4 since November 2015
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic